Author Topic: Shock Wave Theory – Rifle Internal Ballistics, Longitudinal Shock Waves, and Shot Dispersion  (Read 3453 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Techshooter's Shooting Pages
by Christopher Long 2004

Shock Wave Theory – Rifle Internal Ballistics, Longitudinal Shock Waves, and Shot Dispersion

Introduction

I started looking at the causes of shot to shot dispersion after getting serious for the first time with loading for accuracy. I ran across Dan’s site (green788) and the concept of OCW. I was intrigued by the undeniable fact that a single load recipe can work so well across many different rifles, with different barrel lengths, diameters, and bedding methods. I started reading everything I could get my hands on regarding barrel vibration and the internal ballistics of a rifle during the firing event. The singular thing that I could not get past was that a simple harmonic vibration pattern could not explain the fact that a single load could work with so many different rifles.

I am a radio communications electronics engineer by profession, and deal with resonance and vibration all the time with antennas and other circuits. It is physically impossible for all the different rifles to have exactly the same harmonic pattern with relation to the bullet exit time. Even a simple change in a barrel contour for a given length will change the resonance, much less a change from a 24” tactical barrel to a 27” target barrel. I am compulsive in the fact that I HAVE to have a clear model and theory of why something works before being comfortable with it. I do bow to expediency often, and just use a process or a machine without questioning how it works, but for anything that I am trying to understand and improve on, I have to have a good model.
Observations and the Resultant Questions

So, I started thinking about other possible reasons for the dispersion of shots within a string. During literally thousands of very careful load charge and seating depth experiments, some notable things were observed:

The point of impact (POI) moved slowly around as the load was increased, the basic premise of Dan’s OCW method.

The size of the group or the dispersion around that POI varied VERY quickly as the seating depth was changed.

The velocity deviation of a load would varied VERY quickly as the seating depth was changed.

Optimum loads work across multiple rifles, with different length barrels.

Even 0.3 grains difference in a 25 grain .223 AI load was enough to take it from a 0.5 MOA group to a 1.2 MOA group. Keep in mind these were not single three shot groups, but typically 2 or more groups of 5 shots each at each load condition to validate the measurement. When I looked a keeping the load constant and changing the seating depth, I saw the same very quick changes in dispersion. As little as 0.010” sometimes affected the groups by the same amount as previously described. The velocity deviation changed rapidly as well. I often observed a reverse correlation between velocity deviation and groups size during these experiments, where loads producing good groups had a high standard deviation of velocity, and vice versa. This was not always the case, in fact, once a truly OCW load was achieved, it became quite tolerant to these changes with respect to dispersion and velocity deviation, again validating Dan’s premise.

Here is what drove me nuts for weeks:  A charge change of 0.3 grains or a seating depth change of 0.010” changes the velocity very, very little, usually less than 50 FPS at a mean velocity of around 2900 FPS. The change to the groups, on the other hand, was dramatic.

Why? ? ? -----

----- Summary and Conclusions

So, we now have a theory and a model that can predict the optimum barrel times given only the barrel length, regardless of barrel construction or mounting. Given this barrel time, we can use an internal ballistics program such as Quickload to find powder and charge weight combinations that fulfill the simultaneous requirements of:

Filling the case as full as possible, thereby ensuring the most rapid initial stage possible

Ensure that the powder is all lit before the first pulse passes back over the bullet at the chamber

Meet the overall barrel time requirement based on the length of the barrel

Next Steps

I am planning to instrument a barrel with both strain gauges and acoustic sensors (microphones) in order to get hard confirmation of the above theories. I will update this document as that information becomes available. Any comments, questions, or suggestions can be directed to me at My Email Address .

Good shooting!

More: http://www.the-long-family.com/OBT_paper.htm

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

The point of impact (POI) moved slowly around as the load was increased, the basic premise of Dan’s OCW method.

This is because the barrel "whips" as bullets travel down the bore,and different velocities produce different vigration "tunes",for lack of a more scientific word. Different bullet weights and types will have the same effect. Some people mill "steps" in new barrel blanks as a method to control this "barrel whipping",but it can get pretty complex and costly if you switch powder,or even bullet weights. And heaven forbid you have to shorten your barrel and put a new crown on it!

BTW,many military bolt action rifle barrels had these steps milled in them when they came from the factory.

The size of the group or the dispersion around that POI varied VERY quickly as the seating depth was changed.

The velocity deviation of a load would varied VERY quickly as the seating depth was changed.

Of course. A uniform seating depth is one of the most important aspects of handloading. The ideal,is to have every bullet seated out so the end just barely "kisses" the lands and grooves where the chamber ends and the bore begins. That insures it is properly lined up as it goes down the bore,and not unbalanced. It also increases chamber pressures,so you need to keep that in your mind as a consideration when loading rounds.

Optimum loads work across multiple rifles, with different length barrels.

A direct result of no air pockets inside the case,which creates a uniform load with no pressure spikes. In some really large older cases you need to use something like oatmeal as a filler at the bullet end of a case when loading it with modern powders to make sure things don't come apart when you pull the trigger. This method can also be used when you just happen to have a favorite power that works REALLY well in a specific rifle,but doesn't completely fill the case.

As a personal note to you,I can tell you are anal enough to become a rabid reloader and long-distance shooter. It's really hard to think of any hobby that celebrates obsession like hand-loading and target shooting.

Not sure if I should offer congratulations or sympathy.

Not that I know anything about being anal on a personal level,you understand?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 08:17:21 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I knew a guy in the military. He used to say, "I've missed people and still killed them."
That always stuck with me. Mainly because I understood exactly what he meant.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

As a personal note to you,I can tell you are anal enough to become a rabid reloader and long-distance shooter. It's really hard to think of any hobby that celebrates obsession like hand-loading and target shooting.

I've been a reloader since I was around 13 when my dad bought me my own deer rifle, a Glenfield Model 30 30-30, from FedMart for the outrageous price of $58.00. I picked up a Lee Loader, started reloading, have been an avid reloader ever since.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I think the "stepped" military barrels are because then the barrels can be milled on a lathe without having a "taper jig".

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I think the "stepped" military barrels are because then the barrels can be milled on a lathe without having a "taper jig".

@Elderberry

Probably,but they also eliminate "barrel whip".  Not popular with builders of custom hunting rifles,though. Too hard to imbed and look good.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
@Elderberry

Probably,but they also eliminate "barrel whip".  Not popular with builders of custom hunting rifles,though. Too hard to imbed and look good.

If that was the case, then all the benchrest shooters would be using stepped barrels.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
If that was the case, then all the benchrest shooters would be using stepped barrels.

@Elderberry

It is the case,but bench rest shooters tend to use bull barrels to both eliminate barrel whip and felt recoil at the same time. Plus the barrels run cooler if doing stuff like shooting prairie dogs.

AND.....they free float their barrels.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Barrel whip is not eliminated, but minimized. Anyway the gist of this study was not on barrel whip causing increased group size.

Stress Causes Strain or Distortion of the Muzzle – Explaining Observation #2

What does this stress wave do? Remember that stress is the amount of force or pressure applied to a material, which usually results in the material moving, bending, or displacing. This is called strain. So, the pressure stress from the gasses in the chamber causes a resulting strain in the barrel. Because the stress is applied very rapidly, the some of the stress launches down the barrel as a wave, causing a proportional strain to the barrel as it passes. This strain is initially a slight enlargement of the bore, followed by a slight constriction, eventually dropping off to no change in the bore diameter at all.

As this pulse travels to and fro, it passes by itself, and in the process constructively and destructively adds to itself, all in some predictable way. The shape of the pulse is driven by the pressure/time profile from the propellant burn, and the mechanical properties of the barrel. The theory nicely provides an explanation why very small changes in load parameters could result in large changes in dispersion. If the muzzle diameter is changing very rapidly at a particular time after shot initiation, and if the bullet exits at this time, then very small changes in the load will result in small changes in the exit time, but large changes in the exit direction since the muzzle diameter is always different. Think of this as a dynamic variation of the muzzle crown shape. It is well known that the crown is perhaps the most critical part of the barrel as regards accuracy. So, this theory or model can explain the sensitivity to the load, and explain observation #2 above.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
@Elderberry

I learned about some of this quite by accident some years ago when I  came into possession of a good quantity of pull down surplus powder that had originally been used as propellant in .50 BMG rounds.  After some experiments I found that I could just fill my primed .300WM cases to the brim, tap them on the table a couple of times to settle the ball powder, seat 180gr noslers to factory dimensions,  then shoot one hole groups all day long. 

2815 fps 15ft out out of 24 inch barrel. Standard deviation less than 10.  Subsequently discovered that the load performed very well in several other rifles of that caliber.  Also did some unscientific testing to see if all the powder was being burned before the bullet left the barrel and was satisfied that it was.

There is something to this full case business.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
My son also has several jugs of surplus BMG power for his .300WM.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@Elderberry

I learned about some of this quite by accident some years ago when I  came into possession of a good quantity of pull down surplus powder that had originally been used as propellant in .50 BMG rounds.  After some experiments I found that I could just fill my primed .300WM cases to the brim, tap them on the table a couple of times to settle the ball powder, seat 180gr noslers to factory dimensions,  then shoot one hole groups all day long. 

2815 fps 15ft out out of 24 inch barrel. Standard deviation less than 10.  Subsequently discovered that the load performed very well in several other rifles of that caliber.  Also did some unscientific testing to see if all the powder was being burned before the bullet left the barrel and was satisfied that it was.

There is something to this full case business.
@Bigun

What primers were you using?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete

Federal 215.

@Bigun

Thanks. Did you ever try any others to see what would happen?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
@Bigun

Thanks. Did you ever try any others to see what would happen?

@sneakypete

Indeed I did. CCI 250s with no detectable change.  I think the key is very slightly compressed load and getting it all lit quickly.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete

Indeed I did. CCI 250s with no detectable change.  I think the key is very slightly compressed load and getting it all lit quickly.

@Bigun

I agree.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Interesting stuff. Guess I never really put that much thought into it, other than to test reloads before committing to the details for a batch.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Interesting stuff. Guess I never really put that much thought into it, other than to test reloads before committing to the details for a batch.

@Idaho_Cowboy

For the typical hunter there is no reason to get this far into it.

This stuff is for the anal crowd that is obsessed with putting 3 bullets in one hole at 100 yards,or popping ground hogs at 500 yards. They are looking for "perfect",and if they ever found it,it would break their hearts.

And "YES,as a matter of fact,I DID have to set down the loading press and back away from the bench when I heard that dog barking on my trail."
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 09:39:30 pm by sneakypete »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
@Idaho_Cowboy

For the typical hunter there is no reason to get this far into it.

This stuff is for the anal crowd that is obsessed with putting 3 bullets in one hole at 100 yards,or popping ground hogs at 500 yards. They are looking for "perfect",and if they ever found it,it would break their hearts.

And "YES,as a matter of fact,I DID have to set down the loading press and back away from the bench when I heard that dog barking on my trail."

LOL!  Mostly true, but I simply enjoy taking what some might consider a junk rifle and seeing just what I can wring out of it.  Kinda weird i guess because I own a few REALLY good ones already.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 09:46:08 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien