Author Topic: Republican Congressman: Trump’s Border Crisis Is a ‘Myth’ (Rolling Stone)  (Read 1387 times)

Offline corbe

Republican Congressman: Trump’s Border Crisis Is a ‘Myth’

by Andy Kroll

2 hrs ago

WASHINGTON — Congressman Will Hurd of Texas is an increasingly lonely voice in the “build the wall” Republican Party of Donald Trump. A 41-year-old former undercover CIA officer, Hurd represents one of the largest congressional districts in America, Texas’ 23rd, a vast expanse of land roughly the size of Georgia that stretches from San Antonio to El Paso.

Hurd’s district includes 820 miles of the U.S.-Mexico border, more than any other member of the House of Representatives. But if you’re expecting Hurd, who was narrowly re-elected to a third term last year, to support President Trump’s “big, beautiful wall” and stand with the decision to partially shut down the federal government over the fight, you’ve got it all wrong. Trump’s border crisis is a “myth,” Hurd tells Rolling Stone, and a wall made of cement or steel slats is a “third-century solution to a 21st-century problem.”

“What I always say is building a wall from sea to shining sea is the most expensive and least effective way to do border security,” Hurd says.

He is one of the few Republicans to break ranks and vote with Democrats to approve funding to reopen the government. On Wednesday, he announced that he’d landed a coveted seat on the powerful Appropriations Committee, bringing the perspective of someone who actually knows the border to Congress’ main government-funding committee.

<..snip..>

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/republican-congressman-trump%e2%80%99s-border-crisis-is-a-%e2%80%98myth%e2%80%99/ar-BBSqYYT?ocid=ientp
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Republican Congressman: Trump’s Border Crisis Is a ‘Myth’

by Andy Kroll

2 hrs ago

WASHINGTON — Congressman Will Hurd of Texas is an increasingly lonely voice in the “build the wall” Republican Party of Donald Trump. A 41-year-old former undercover CIA officer, Hurd represents one of the largest congressional districts in America, Texas’ 23rd, a vast expanse of land roughly the size of Georgia that stretches from San Antonio to El Paso.

Hurd’s district includes 820 miles of the U.S.-Mexico border, more than any other member of the House of Representatives. But if you’re expecting Hurd, who was narrowly re-elected to a third term last year, to support President Trump’s “big, beautiful wall” and stand with the decision to partially shut down the federal government over the fight, you’ve got it all wrong. Trump’s border crisis is a “myth,” Hurd tells Rolling Stone, and a wall made of cement or steel slats is a “third-century solution to a 21st-century problem.”

“What I always say is building a wall from sea to shining sea is the most expensive and least effective way to do border security,” Hurd says.

He is one of the few Republicans to break ranks and vote with Democrats to approve funding to reopen the government. On Wednesday, he announced that he’d landed a coveted seat on the powerful Appropriations Committee, bringing the perspective of someone who actually knows the border to Congress’ main government-funding committee.

<..snip..>

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/republican-congressman-trump%e2%80%99s-border-crisis-is-a-%e2%80%98myth%e2%80%99/ar-BBSqYYT?ocid=ientp

He is a whore,selling himself for brown votes.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline corbe

He is a whore,selling himself for brown votes.

and a Republican to boot!
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Too bad a conservative didn't win his seat.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Too bad a conservative didn't win his seat.

Will Hurd is the very definition of RINO!
\
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Reading up on his resume, he and Beto appear to be close friends and collaborate, so it figures he stays at odds with Trump's policies.

And he is an Aggie, do tell.

With all that, I assume he is under pressure from large property owners in his massive district to refrain from the taking of private property to put up the wall.  Likely why he is against it.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline dfwgator

Nobody said that the Wall was the only solution to the immigration problem, it's one of several.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I heard a non-partisan source state "walls" work best in high density and city environments, where the crosser would very quickly escape into crowds. (Think San Diego, Laredo, etc.)

And electronics, drones, planes and border patrols work best in wide open spaces, where an individual human body stands out, and can be caught among the cacti.

Wondering aloud: On other issues, is this guy a bad Republican, too?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Reading up on his resume, he and Beto appear to be close friends and collaborate, so it figures he stays at odds with Trump's policies.

And he is an Aggie, do tell.

With all that, I assume he is under pressure from large property owners in his massive district to refrain from the taking of private property to put up the wall.  Likely why he is against it.

@IsailedawayfromFR

I am guessing he doesn't want to make those large property owners mad at him for taking away their illegal alien workers that work for sub-minimum wage and get no benefits,either.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I heard a non-partisan source state "walls" work best in high density and city environments, where the crosser would very quickly escape into crowds. (Think San Diego, Laredo, etc.)

And electronics, drones, planes and border patrols work best in wide open spaces, where an individual human body stands out, and can be caught among the cacti.

@truth_seeker

Nothing works better in the wide-open rural areas that sensors embedded in a concrete wall,with Border Patrol "quick reaction forces" staged several miles apart and ready to speed off to an alert.  Or even further apart with surplus helicopters to fly them quickly to any area where an alert is set off. The sensors can even be set to set off flashing lights on top of the wall where they are embedded.

Wondering aloud: On other issues, is this guy a bad Republican, too?

Why? The man is willing to destroy America to stay in office and personally profit,so what else do you really need to know about him?