Author Topic: How To Wield A Viking Sword  (Read 1366 times)

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
How To Wield A Viking Sword
« on: January 19, 2019, 06:49:23 am »
The important bridge to get over with Viking Swords, is that they were very lightweight, most coming in at under 2.5 lbs. They were not thick and heavy like Marvel Comix clown props. 

Sorry...
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: How To Wield A Viking Sword
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 07:13:59 am »
Interesting, thanks!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 07:30:44 am »
Bkmk
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 07:46:13 am »
Interesting, thanks!

My pleasure @Smokin Joe and @bigheadfred !

Roland has his occasional (rare) sour grapes detractor in the comments, but he's been up to his eye teeth in this for a long time and I'll go with his POV, earned through years of arduous trial and error, over them, until subsequent hard, archeological evidence suggests better. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 07:48:02 am by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 07:53:47 am »
My pleasure @Smokin Joe and @bigheadfred !

Roland has his occasional sour grapes detractor in the comments, but he's been up to his eye teeth in this for a long time and I'll go with his POV, earned through years of arduous trial and error, over them, until subsequent hard, archeological evidence suggests better.
His points about the physics, about keeping the sword arm loose until the moment of impact made a lot of sense (like we did with tobacco knives, cutting tobacco when I was much younger--only we relaxed the grip at impact to get a rebound effect which made for an easier day).

The basic application of geometry to striking distance is a seemingly obvious point, but likely not something most would consider instinctively.

The pommel grip explained something I have been wondering about since I saw my first gladius, and makes sense as well--accuracy is half the battle, especially with an armored or semi armored foe, but in any event, that control would make short work of an opponent with accurately placed blows, and just a smidgin more reach might decide a contest. Good stuff!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 07:31:45 pm »
Very interesting!