Author Topic: Report: Amazon Ring Gave Employees Unrestricted Access to Footage of Customers' Homes  (Read 1566 times)

Offline mountaineer

Report: Amazon Ring Gave Employees Unrestricted Access to Footage of Customers’ Homes
14 Jan 2019
By Charlie Nash

Ring, a home security camera company owned by Amazon, allowed employees unrestricted access to the cameras inside people’s homes, according to a report from the Intercept.

The Intercept reported last week that Ring “provided its Ukraine-based research and development team virtually unfettered access to a folder on Amazon’s S3 cloud storage service that contained every video created by every Ring camera around the world.”

“This would amount to an enormous list of highly sensitive files that could be easily browsed and viewed. Downloading and sharing these customer video files would have required little more than a click,” the Intercept explained, adding that “the video files were left unencrypted,” and the “Ukraine team was also provided with a corresponding database that linked each specific video file to corresponding specific Ring customers.”  ... Breitbart

« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 09:52:08 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

Well, we're looking for a reliable security system, but I think we'll cross this one off our list.  *****rollingeyes*****
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Well, we're looking for a reliable security system, but I think we'll cross this one off our list.  *****rollingeyes*****
You might want to also unplug the Alexa too as it hears everything and sends it to the ether.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline mountaineer

You might want to also unplug the Alexa too as it hears everything and sends it to the ether.
We're not entirely off the grid, but don't have alexa, iphones, magic doorbells and such. Maybe Amazon and the Ukrainians won't be spying on us.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

We don't have, nor will ever have Alexa.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Idiot

I have a Ring front door camera.  If someone wants to view that video...have at it!...lol.  I love the camera...works like a charm.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

Next thing to be revealed:

Whole Foods, Ordered from Amazon, delivered by Amazon, have gluten and other additives that are not organic.

When Bezos is questioned by Congressional staffers, he will agree to have the WaPo investigate, and to increase his donations for climate change.

Paul Manafort will be questioned about his Ukraine connections. He will admit that Trump might have thought about the Ukraine.

What else, is on the "Cloud, "that Bezos owns, controls?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I'm confused...I thought "Ring" is an outdoor camera.  Do they make indoor versions? 

I have a security system (two, actually) and I see no reason to stick cameras up all over the place.  Perimeter alarms, a driveway sensor and motion detectors seem good enough.  :shrug:

Outdoor cameras are also on my list of things to add.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: