Author Topic: James Garner's personal 1978 Pontiac Firebird heads to auction  (Read 11285 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: James Garner's personal 1978 Pontiac Firebird heads to auction
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2019, 09:10:18 pm »
@Amb. Frank Cannon

Frank,you need to switch drugs because the ones you are using now are making you simple. GM had nothing that would run with my 1971 340 Duster. They even whined to the NHRA about it having too much horsepower for it's class when the 350 GM cars kept blowing motors trying to keep them in sight.

@sneakypete give me a break. Chrysler didn't even have a real muscle car through most of the 60's. Secondly an 70' LT1 could stomp anything Mopar had on their menu. They put out almost 400HP as did the LS5. You could dial that up with a bigger carb.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2019, 10:20:20 pm »
@sneakypete give me a break. Chrysler didn't even have a real muscle car through most of the 60's. Secondly an 70' LT1 could stomp anything Mopar had on their menu. They put out almost 400HP as did the LS5. You could dial that up with a bigger carb.

@Amb. Frank Cannon

ROFLMAO! One of my childhood friends had a 4 speed 71 LT-1 Camaro,and my Duster would just walk off and leave him.

And are you SERIOUSLY trying to claim the Chevy BB would run with the Mopar BB's?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2019, 10:34:01 pm »

BS! My RT said 425HP from the factory which was a lie they had to tell the government to get around their 10 to one deal. The fact was that thing put out well over 500HP factory fresh!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2019, 10:36:01 pm »
BS! My RT said 425HP from the factory which was a lie they had to tell the government to get around their 10 to one deal. The fact was that thing put out well over 500HP factory fresh!

Yeah?  What's it putting out these days?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2019, 10:40:35 pm »

Sorry...

The engine is Supercharged Chrysler’s 501 cubic-inch, big-block V8 with Dyers 8-71 blower on top. This engine produces 693 horsepower and 728 lb.-ft. of torque. The engine is bolted to a custom built TorqueFlite A727, 4-speed automatic transmission.

This Is the 1,000-HP 2017 Trans Am 455 Super Duty

http://www.thedrive.com/new-york-auto-show/9284/this-is-the-1000-horsepower-2017-trans-am-455-super-duty

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2019, 10:45:03 pm »
Yeah?  What's it putting out these days?

I have no idea!  Haven't seen it since 73 I think it was.  I got married in 68 and my life began to go in another direction.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 10:47:04 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2019, 10:48:09 pm »
I have no idea!  Haven't seen it since 73 I think it was.  I got married in 68 and my life began to go in another direction.

I think I may have found it.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2019, 10:59:40 pm »
I think I may have found it.

Nope!  Wrong color!   :beer:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2019, 11:12:53 pm »

@Bigun

Hell,the Max-Wedge 413's put out more power than that.  The true street cars that weren't race-prepped probably put out 500 HP,though.

Ever been in the pits and seen one of those 2 ton monsters with all the aerodynamics of a brick come idling through after a low 12 second run on 7 inch nylon tires? They made the cement vibrate when idling past. The 61 and 62's put "the ugh in ugly",but they would FLY.

BTW,probably THE funniest classified add for a car for sale is related to this discussion. A friend (the guy with the LT-1) and I were away from home and shaking the woods for cars and parts maybe 100 miles from home,and we stopped at burger joint in a small town after hitting a 7-11 for the "for sale" car magazines.

I am eating and looking through mine,and he is looking through his (different mags) when he starts to giggle a little bit. I asked him what was funny,and he pushed the mag over to me and pointed to a T-Bucket for sale add. Short wheelbase with a T touring front and a round gas tank mounted behind it. Suicide beam front axle. The most noticeable thing about it was the Carter AFB carbs hanging out past the body on both sides of the cowl. The add said it was a 413 Max Wedge with a 3500 rpm stall converter,prepped 727,and a 4:56 Detroit Locker rear.

It was the final sentence that had us laughing,though. It read "car is fast." No kidding. That car would scare the hell out of anybody that didn't have the nickname of "Wild Willie". Willie Borsch normally drove/held on for dear life the AA/FA known as the Winged Express. I had a poster of Willie and his T going through the traps at a Winter Nationals at the old Lions Drag Strip on Ca,and the only wheel on the ground is one of the front tires,and Willie is still steering with one hand. That boy had some STONES!

« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 11:43:00 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2019, 08:43:18 pm »

Yeah. I'll bet you stuck with Mopar though.....

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2019, 08:47:23 pm »
@Amb. Frank Cannon

ROFLMAO! One of my childhood friends had a 4 speed 71 LT-1 Camaro,and my Duster would just walk off and leave him.

And are you SERIOUSLY trying to claim the Chevy BB would run with the Mopar BB's?

I took a Grand Spalding Dart with my 455 Catalina wagon when I had it. They ain't no thang.