Author Topic: Researchers create an application that ensures anonymity and trustworthiness  (Read 850 times)

rangerrebew

Researchers create an application that ensures anonymity and trustworthiness

by Harrison Tasoff, University of California - Santa Barbara

The researchers created an internet browser extension that automatically verifies posts’ authenticity. The cryptographic signature, visible under each post on the left, is hidden when running the extension on the right. Credit: Michael Nekrasov

Minority and dissident communities face a perplexing challenge in countries with authoritarian governments. They need to remain anonymous to avoid persecution, but also must establish a trustworthy identity in their communications. An interdisciplinary group of researchers at UC Santa Barbara has designed an application to meet both of these requirements.

Computer science and communication researchers affiliated with the university's Center for Information Technology & Society traveled to three countries to assess the challenges minority groups face in maintaining a secure, trustworthy social media presence. Based on the communities' feedback, the team designed an app for the Android operating system that would safeguard group members' anonymity as well as verify the reliability of posts coming from the group. A paper detailing the technology appeared in the Journal of Internet Services and Applications.

https://techxplore.com/news/2019-01-application-anonymity-trustworthiness.html

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Any of our techies here have an opinion on this?  Or, can explain how it works?

@roamer_1 @ABX  and I know I've missed a bunch of you.

Offline roamer_1

Any of our techies here have an opinion on this?  Or, can explain how it works?

@roamer_1 @ABX  and I know I've missed a bunch of you.

@Sanguine
Alright I guess... but the crypto itself can be tracked... And whether it can be spoofed is another argument...

In the end, the ONLY way I know to obtain internet anonymity is a laptop bought for cash with no identifiable purchase strings... Linux operating system, running a mac addy spoofer, with no identifying information onboard... and then go find a restaurant, coffee shop, or hotel parking lot for a wifi connection... and park where the cameras can't see you.