Author Topic: The Oldies Cat Box... 30s 40s and 50s ... Classics not soon forgotten  (Read 30785 times)

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
Re: The Oldies Cat Box... 30s 40s and 50s ... Classics not soon forgotten
« Reply #125 on: July 23, 2019, 05:22:14 am »
@Sighlass

My old computer coughs and sputters when I try to access these things, so I always mosey over to YouTube and play them. I wasn't really familiar with the first one, so I found it at YT and played it. It sounded only vaguely familiar, but what really caught my attention was this image (below) on the video.

My parents gave me a 2nd-hand red Comet for a graduation present. Seeing this radio brought back so many memories of cruising the main drag in town or going down to Galveston and cruising the beach. I remember driving down Seawall Boulevard and all us girls singing along to "Help Me Rhonda." IIRC, it was the #1 song that summer ('65). What fun memories! We still get together every couple of months for 5-hour lunches.

Thanks for sparking those memories for me!

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #126 on: July 23, 2019, 05:47:54 am »
My parents gave me a 2nd-hand red Comet for a graduation present. Seeing this radio brought back so many memories of cruising the main drag in town or going down to Galveston and cruising the beach. I remember driving down Seawall Boulevard and all us girls singing along to "Help Me Rhonda." IIRC, it was the #1 song that summer ('65). What fun memories! We still get together every couple of months for 5-hour lunches.

888high58888

Here's mine:

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #127 on: July 23, 2019, 06:06:37 am »
@Sighlass

My old computer coughs and sputters when I try to access these things, so I always mosey over to YouTube and play them. I wasn't really familiar with the first one, so I found it at YT and played it. It sounded only vaguely familiar, but what really caught my attention was this image (below) on the video.

Your most certainly welcome... thanks for making my day knowing someone is getting something out of these songs...

I tried my link out and got two steps to download...

First they ask you to accept cookies, since the European countries started making web sites display what they do to you, they have to disclose they put cookies on you ... otherwise European countries sometimes block websites that don't disclose this.. far as I can tell they are harmless cookies and since I delete cookies each time I close my browser I don't mind. Most all web sites (including this one) put cookies on ya.

Next it will show you the file size you are downloading... and all you have to do is click download... and it should start downloading... (or ask you where you want it downloaded)...

Next it is a little more tricking, once downloaded, you will have to "unzip" the download since I did all the songs together in a folder... most computer have a unzip program now days, if you have old computer like mine, then I listed some options (programs) to do this in another thread... (linked below)... free program 7zip

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,340174.0.html

If you get something different than what I explained above, please let me know...

« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 06:09:03 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #128 on: July 23, 2019, 06:08:04 am »
888high58888

Here's mine:

@roamer_1

What?! No buttons? Did you have to actually dial to your favorite stations? 

Online roamer_1

« Reply #129 on: July 23, 2019, 06:15:01 am »
@roamer_1

What?! No buttons? Did you have to actually dial to your favorite stations?

@AllThatJazzZ
Well to be fair, I had the 8-track hanging under the dash...
That was late 70's early 80's... Listening to a whole lot of Waylon and Willie, Johnny Paycheck, Chris LeDoux. and Mo Bandy...

And oddly enough, a full compliment of the Beach Boys. Them, Peter, Paul, and Mary, AND the Kingston Trio... There ain't a song they made I don't know by heart.

Funny how long that good ol stuff stayed relevant.

edit: And BTW, We only had two stations on the AM back then, so the push button thing was not a problem...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 06:17:58 am by roamer_1 »

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #130 on: July 23, 2019, 06:18:33 am »
@Sighlass

Thanks for the instructions. The truth is that I'm fine with going to YouTube. It's kinda what I do. It's the next best thing to having all my 45s (hundreds) on jukeboxes. The only downside is that I tend to sit down to hear a handful of songs and don't get up till about 2 hours later.

Offline Sighlass

« Reply #131 on: July 23, 2019, 06:21:43 am »
Grandmothers 1962 Ford Falcon car (hers was a rare 8 cylinder one, not 6 cylinder)...

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1 (it was like yours but rounded knobs)...
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #132 on: July 23, 2019, 06:38:13 am »
@Sighlass Thanks for the files!

I have 35 on shuffle play right now, over a sound bar that came off a junked monitor....but it sounds great (far better than the speakers on this laptop!).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #133 on: July 23, 2019, 06:39:24 am »
@AllThatJazzZ
That was late 70's early 80's... Listening to a whole lot of Waylon and Willie, Johnny Paycheck, Chris LeDoux. and Mo Bandy...

And oddly enough, a full compliment of the Beach Boys. Them, Peter, Paul, and Mary, AND the Kingston Trio... There ain't a song they made I don't know by heart.

edit: And BTW, We only had two stations on the AM back then, so the push button thing was not a problem...

@roamer_1

Dude(ette)! We could have cruised together! I love everything you mentioned and know lyrics to about a million songs. Hyperbole? Of course, but my mother always said that if the Holy Bible were put to music, I would be able to sing it from Genesis to Revelation.

Can you still sing "Merry Minuet"? "Scotch & Soda"?

Offline Sighlass

« Reply #134 on: July 23, 2019, 06:40:05 am »
@AllThatJazzZ

Thanks for making the 50 catbox a little more lively Roamer... pop in anytime...

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #135 on: July 23, 2019, 06:40:56 am »
@AllThatJazzZ

I had a '79 Lincoln I picked up for $500, long after it left the showroom. Still had the factory 8 track and even a CB radio! Whatta boat, great on the highway! Only problem was the 400 modified under the hood. Can't idle it to warm it up (it carbons up), and were supposed to warm it up on the fly, which just doesn't work in North Dakota winters (no defrost!).

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sighlass

« Reply #136 on: July 23, 2019, 06:43:12 am »
@Sighlass Thanks for the files!

I have 35 on shuffle play right now, over a sound bar that came off a junked monitor....but it sounds great (far better than the speakers on this laptop!).

Awesome Smoke, noticed you had bookmarked a few threads, do you have a favorite era? ....

Nevermind... someone will get upset you didn't pick their fave... so lets just enjoy the music from them all.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #137 on: July 23, 2019, 06:53:26 am »
Awesome Smoke, noticed you had bookmarked a few threads, do you have a favorite era? ....

Nevermind... someone will get upset you didn't pick their fave... so lets just enjoy the music from them all.
Well, I'm a fan of do-wop type music. You can always find something to sing or harmonize with (as best I can, anyway--there's a reason I'm a geologist, when I sing the rocks don't throw themselves), and besides all that, it's upbeat, full of energy. I like that era best, but it goes primarily through the 50s and 60s.

C S Lewis

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #138 on: July 23, 2019, 06:58:06 am »
Grandmothers 1962 Ford Falcon car (hers was a rare 8 cylinder one, not 6 cylinder)...

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1 (it was like yours but rounded knobs)...

Beautiful! So pristine.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #139 on: July 23, 2019, 07:09:11 am »
Well, I'm a fan of do-wop type music. You can always find something to sing or harmonize with (as best I can, anyway--there's a reason I'm a geologist, when I sing the rocks don't throw themselves), and besides all that, it's upbeat, full of energy. I like that era best, but it goes primarily through the 50s and 60s.

@Smokin Joe

Doo-wop/sock hop.

:thumbsup:

I enjoy many genres, but my favorite music era is from mid-50s to mid-60s. It was my era. The music I first danced to. First fell in love to. First got my heart broken to. Viva doo-wop!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 07:10:07 am by AllThatJazzZ »

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #140 on: July 23, 2019, 07:14:42 am »
@Smokin Joe

Doo-wop/sock hop.

:thumbsup:

I enjoy many genres, but my favorite music era is from mid-50s to mid-60s. It was my era. The music I first danced to. First fell in love to. First got my heart broken to. Viva doo-wop!
:beer:

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #141 on: July 23, 2019, 07:46:30 am »
Dude(ette)! We could have cruised together! I love everything you mentioned and know lyrics to about a million songs. Hyperbole? Of course, but my mother always said that if the Holy Bible were put to music, I would be able to sing it from Genesis to Revelation.

@AllThatJazzZ
Definitely a dude... I checked just yesterday...  :laugh:
Me= Much the same way... If I can sing it or whistle to it, I will never forget it. And I can prolly pick it too. But I am limited to that... I get about into the Eagles or so, and can't get much further... Went nearly solid Country about when the big-hair bands came out, and can't get any of the newer stuff... Can't sing it, can't whistle it, so I have naught to do with it...  :shrug:

And yes I do a pretty good cover of Roger Whitaker's 'Spanish Whistler', And can yodel with the best of em... Or at least that's what the cows tell me.  :shrug:

Can you still sing "Merry Minuet"? "Scotch & Soda"?

Oh yeah... No problemo... Like I said. And I can pick em too... Not like I could. When I got sick I lost a lot of my eye-hand coordination... I can play rhythm guitar alright, but finger picking is tougher, and chicken pickin' is still out of the question, but ever working at getting it back...

(Guitar, bass guitar, 12 string guitar, and banjo. fair on a dobro or a steel)

Online roamer_1

« Reply #142 on: July 23, 2019, 07:51:47 am »
I had a '79 Lincoln I picked up for $500, long after it left the showroom. Still had the factory 8 track and even a CB radio! Whatta boat, great on the highway! Only problem was the 400 modified under the hood. Can't idle it to warm it up (it carbons up), and were supposed to warm it up on the fly, which just doesn't work in North Dakota winters (no defrost!).

My problem was with speakers... I just could not keep those KMart Kracos going... I swear I was spending 20 bucks every 6 months or so, worse in the pickup, as I was often recruited into General Motors Navy (River Patrol)  :laugh:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #143 on: July 23, 2019, 07:57:40 am »
Thanks for making the 50 catbox a little more lively Roamer... pop in anytime...

It's a great thread, @Sighlass though I have my fill of music downloads... I converted my entire library to digital long ago... I have about 40g of mp3s I keep shoving around, though I don't know why. Like @AllThatJazzZ , I tend to Youtubin around the house, and still tend to listen to the radio more than anything else (in the kitchen, out in the shop, and on the road). I kinda like radio for the not knowing what's coming next... I haven't cracked my lib in a year or two...

Online roamer_1

« Reply #144 on: July 23, 2019, 08:01:29 am »

I heard that... Cowboyin is like that... Cows are a pretty forgiving audience.

Me, rockabilly, southern rock, outlaw country... Mostly where I live, but I like all of it from folk through 50's rock and blues, and country all the way along...

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #145 on: July 23, 2019, 09:06:43 am »
I heard that... Cowboyin is like that... Cows are a pretty forgiving audience.

Me, rockabilly, southern rock, outlaw country... Mostly where I live, but I like all of it from folk through 50's rock and blues, and country all the way along...

@roamer_1

How about Dix-a-billy? IIRC, this was considered side B on one of my 45s, and I couldn't get my fill of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvfPgOvawq0
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 09:12:41 am by AllThatJazzZ »

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #146 on: July 23, 2019, 09:11:44 am »
@AllThatJazzZ
Definitely a dude... I checked just yesterday...  :laugh:
Me= Much the same way... If I can sing it or whistle to it, I will never forget it. And I can prolly pick it too. But I am limited to that... I get about into the Eagles or so, and can't get much further... Went nearly solid Country about when the big-hair bands came out, and can't get any of the newer stuff... Can't sing it, can't whistle it, so I have naught to do with it...  :shrug:

And yes I do a pretty good cover of Roger Whitaker's 'Spanish Whistler', And can yodel with the best of em... Or at least that's what the cows tell me.  :shrug:

Oh yeah... No problemo... Like I said. And I can pick em too... Not like I could. When I got sick I lost a lot of my eye-hand coordination... I can play rhythm guitar alright, but finger picking is tougher, and chicken pickin' is still out of the question, but ever working at getting it back...

(Guitar, bass guitar, 12 string guitar, and banjo. fair on a dobro or a steel)

@roamer_1

There's a lot here that's impressive, but I am fascinated by (and a little jealous of) people who can yodel. Do you think it's a natural gift, or can people be taught?

Also, re the stringed instruments you play... can you read music, or do you play by ear?

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #147 on: July 23, 2019, 09:34:15 am »
Having a hard time sleeping tonight because LAST NIGHT I tripped over uneven concrete in my driveway and took a hard splat. Tonight I'm really feeling it. I'm ready to take something for pain and try again to get some sleep. Who knew I'd still be hurting like this since my fall was LAST NIGHT?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX5T9GvSnbY

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline pookie18

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #148 on: July 23, 2019, 10:20:18 am »
Just a little ditty put out around 1976 by K-tel... 50s and 60s songs... but I am gonna just place it here instead of the 60's thread...

Album Source, so expect imperfections cause you gonna get them.

VA - K-Tel Jukebox Jive LP 76.zip
https://mab.to/zDfeq548T

I really loved a few of these songs, some I had never heard before, most I had forgotten over time... I had a few on record... nice hearing them again..

H/T Down Underground Blog

3 Days Only Gang...

Another Liar, Liar via the other "castaways":

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Curtis Lee's back-up group on Pretty Little Angel Eyes were The Halos who later had their own hit (Nag):

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline pookie18

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #149 on: July 23, 2019, 10:51:23 am »

@Smokin Joe
@AllThatJazzZ

Mine as well...

If you can view this link, I started posting on page 2:

http://thepoliticsforums.com/threads/110187-Doo-Wop-from-the-50s-and-60s
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 03:08:55 pm by pookie18 »