Author Topic: P&G Urges Men to Lose Their ‘Toxic Masculinity’ in Gillette Razor Ad  (Read 1078 times)

rangerrebew

P&G Urges Men to Lose Their ‘Toxic Masculinity’ in Gillette Razor Ad

Gillette/YouTube
14 Jan 201921,881

Proctor & Gamble is urging men to shave their “toxic masculinity” in a new ad for Gillette razors. The ad shows men fighting, cooking barbecue, and verbally harassing women, interspersed with news reports about the #MeToo movement.

A new ad from P&G razor brand Gillette encourages men to reexamine themselves and the way that they raise young boys. The ad, which is called “We Believe: The Best Men Can Be,” is essentially a two-minute broad generalization about the way that men act and think.

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2019/01/14/pg-urges-men-to-lose-their-toxic-masculinity-in-gilette-razor-ad/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+breitbart+%28Breitbart+News%29
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 12:07:09 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Screw Gillette. Go shave hairy feminist butts.

I'm growing my beard back.

When it comes in, I'll look like Santa....

Just an icon of "toxic masculinity"
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 12:12:39 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

Naah, just use another brand of shaving products.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=36&v=CzC47F1DTO8#
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 02:29:47 am by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline rustynail

Proctor & Gamble, aren't they the company associated with Satanism?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 03:29:09 pm by rustynail »

Offline mountaineer

This is a MUST SEE parody of the Gillette ad.
Sorry...

Offline goatprairie

This is a MUST SEE parody of the Gillette ad.
Sorry...
:thumbsup: This is hilarious. Hits the nail on the head.

Offline mountaineer

A non-macho Christian guy writes:
I Need Saving, Not Shaving
January 29, 2019 by Matt Stickel

Who knew a commercial for a shaving cream and razor blade company could stir up so much controversy? Gillette’s marketing team knew what they were doing when they produced and aired their recent ad: “The best men can be.” Love it or hate it, they started a discussion about what it looks like to be a man in the modern world.

To a certain degree I get it. I’ve never been the quintessential man’s man. Growing up I was taught that men are rough, tough, buff and into sports stuff. Meanwhile I’m sensitive, gentle, weak and into stuff like classic literature and cooking.

The church didn’t provide much clarity growing up either. Sunday school always seemed to cherry-pick examples from the Bible of type A leaders like Moses, brawny warriors like Joshua and unreserved evangelists like Peter. But what about the artists like Bezalel, the poets like David and the gentle leaders like Joseph? They were just as masculine, but I didn’t learn to appreciate that type of biblical masculinity until later.  ...
More at Boundless.org

Offline goatprairie

It isn't all one or the other. For instance, I had an English teacher in college who loved poetry but was also on his  college football team. He didn't seem the least bit effeminate to me.
Nothing wrong with liking literature, the arts,  and rough sports at the same time.
Although it seems weird, I've know guys who loved loud, high decibel rock and roll and also classical music.
I'm not a member of the group that says all forms of love and sex are wonderful, but I enjoyed watching Liberace perform knowing full well he was a homosexual. One of my favorite classical music composers is Tchaikovsky.
But I like Clint Eastwood movies and other movies where there are good guys and bad guys, and the good  guys win in the end.
I thought "No Country For Old Men" was ultimately dissatifying because Javier Bardem's evil character got away in the end.
I think it's hard-wired for most males to like tough males who make courageous decisions at the expense of their lives. My older brother was much tougher than me, and I admired him for that. If somebody crossed him, he'd throw down right then and there. And (almost) always win. At any rate I never saw him lose a fight. And few other boys tried to mess with him.
I'm not like that, but I'd rather boys be a little assertive and stand up for their rights than kowtow to bulllies. But if they like the arts, ballet, opera, etc., that's fine too.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 12:27:34 am by goatprairie »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
It isn't all one or the other. For instance, I had an English teacher in college who loved poetry but was also on his  college football team. He didn't seem the least bit effeminate to me.
Nothing wrong with liking literature, the arts,  and rough sports at the same time.
Although it seems weird, I've know guys who loved loud, high decibel rock and roll and also classical music.
I'm not a member of the group that says all forms of love and sex are wonderful, but I enjoyed watching Liberace perform knowing full well he was a homosexual. One of my favorite classical music composers is Tchaikovsky.
But I like Clint Eastwood movies and other movies where there are good guys and bad guys, and the good  guys win in the end.
I thought "No Country For Old Men" was ultimately dissatifying because Javier Bardem's evil character got away in the end.
I think it's hard-wired for most males to like tough males who make courageous decisions at the expense of their lives. My older brother was much tougher than me, and I admired him for that. If somebody crossed him, he throw down right then and there. And (almost) always win. At any rate I never saw him lose a fight. And few other boys tried to mess with him.
I'm not like that, but I'd rather boys be a little assertive and stand up for their rights than kowtow to bulllies. But if they like the arts, ballet, opera, etc., that's fine too.
I remember Roosevelt Grier doing needlepoint--and playing pro football--and tackling Sirhan Sirhan.
For a generation who grew up in the quiet shadow of the men who fought in WWII and Korea, and sometimes in the absence of those men, the concept of 'something greater than I, worthy of my sacrifice' was well ingrained.
That sacrifice often meant physical hardship, and the abilities which were developed in anticipation of perhaps having to endure such were part and parcel of "masculinity", as they have ever been in a chivalrous society. That, by no means precluded intelligence or taste. Talent was revered as well.
(Yep, we watched Liberace on television, and got the joke "I cut myself shaving. My legs are a mess!" But Liberace wasn't campaigning for social change, he just was what he was--accepted because of his talent. )
Who would say that the artist who painted the face of the Doge of Venice on one of the Devil's henchmen on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel wasn't masculine? (That took a pair!)
But basically, a man defended the weak, stood tall among equals, and knelt only before God. You stood up for what was right, even if it cost you. You did the right thing, and that was clearly delineated by basic morality common to the Judaeo-Christian ethos. It wasn't that difficult if you had principles to decide what was, indeed, right.
And the rough guide was ever to "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis