Author Topic: CHEESE TRIGGERS SAME PART OF BRAIN AS HARD DRUGS, STUDY FINDS (capitalization in original)  (Read 2350 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/cheese-triggers-the-same-part-of-brain-as-hard-drugs-study-finds-a6707011.html

Cheese contains a chemical found in addictive drugs, scientists have found.

The team behind the study set out to pin-point why certain foods are more addictive than others.

Using the Yale Food Addiction Scale, designed to measure a person’s dependence on, scientists found that cheese is particularly potent because it contains casein.

Researchers behind the study published in the Public Library of Science One journal found that fat was linked to problematic eating whether or not participants were addicted to food.

Erica Schulte, one of the study's authors, told Mic: “Fat seemed to be equally predictive of problematic eating for everyone, regardless of whether they experience symptoms of 'food addiction.”

(excerpt)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 06:26:56 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Now, you listen to hipster science, and they'll tell you sugar's the REAL addictive food substance.  *****rollingeyes*****'
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Now, you listen to hipster science, and they'll tell you sugar's the REAL addictive food substance.  *****rollingeyes*****'
Can't be. I drink my coffee black...Down to two pots a day. Not addicted...I can quit any time I want to... :silly:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
So, if this is true, wouldn't eating cheese produce some sort of euphoria or altered state?

Offline Smokin Joe

So, if this is true, wouldn't eating cheese produce some sort of euphoria or altered state?
Maybe,but if you eat a lot of it, maybe you're just 'maintaining' so you don't notice the 'buzz'  :shrug:

I think I'll have a grilled cheese sammitch for lunch....or two..

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline the_doc

Hey, it works for me.

Offline Smokin Joe

Well, if you overdo it, like opioids, you back up....

The old 5 lb bricks of 'government cheese' were more binding than any contract....

C S Lewis

Online Polly Ticks

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline ConstitutionRose

Am I the only person who is becoming very skeptical about all these health articles?
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Can't be. I drink my coffee black...Down to two pots a day. Not addicted...I can quit any time I want to... :silly:

We can hardly see you shaking anymore.....
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline ConstitutionRose

I can drink the 10 oz cups and sleep like a log.  What keeps me awake is too much food.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline the_doc

Now that I think about it, maybe it's just the HARD CHEESES that mimic the HARD DRUGS.

Offline Smokin Joe

We can hardly see you shaking anymore.....
IItt rrreallyy ssuckss wwhenn yyourr eeyesightt sstartss ttoo ggoo,, ddoesn''tt iitt??

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

IItt rrreallyy ssuckss wwhenn yyourr eeyesightt sstartss ttoo ggoo,, ddoesn''tt iitt??

:silly: :silly: :silly:
 :beer:

Offline dfwgator

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Some people go to great lengths to score some cheese.

Sorry...

And for others, it's to die for!

Sorry...

Online berdie

Nah this is malarky.

But I will say if you try to take my Havarti or pepper jack I'll cut off your hands with a rusty knife and stab you in the eye with an ice pick.

Does that make me an addict?  I don't think so. :laugh:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I dunno @berdie.  I just bought some smoked cheddar with bacon cheese today.  I haven't tried it yet, but if you don't hear back from me you'll know I'm out trying to raise the money for another pound.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
I believe that it may be the salt content in the cheese....  makes you want to keep slicing off another piece.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I would believe this if it was about chocolate but cheese....blah!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
How long until the government declares a war on cheese?

It has the same addictive properties as opioids. It is indirectly responsible for millions of deaths. Much of the good stuff comes from foreign countries. This foreign cheese is harming 'American cheese like product' sales.

Ban cheese.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 02:19:49 am by ABX »

Offline Smokin Joe

How long until the government declares a war on cheese?

It has the same addictive properties as opioids. It is indirectly responsible for millions of deaths. Much of the good stuff comes from foreign countries. This foreign cheese is harming 'American cheese like product' sales.

Ban cheese.
Seems the Government already has a fit if you say you love cheeses. (did I hear that right?)

C S Lewis

Offline Frank Cannon

Cheese does cause that, but not when you eat it. Only when you cut it....