I wanna hibernate til spring
2 (7.1%)
Hot chocolate keeps me going
1 (3.6%)
Sometimes
7 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: January 23, 2019, 02:12:57 pm

Author Topic: Do you have the winter blues?  (Read 5084 times)

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Do you have the winter blues?
« on: January 13, 2019, 02:10:28 pm »
i keep hearing on every news broadcast and magazine about the winter blues, SAD, etc.

I’m not making light of this, it’s a serious thing, I’m just wondering if we are all doing ok now that the holidays are over, the bills are coming in and the weather is pretty miserable unless you live in a state that doesn’t get ❄️❄️❄️
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Gefn

• Cat Mod
Re: Do you have the winter blues?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 02:14:34 pm »
I should have added hot chocolate and donuts!
@Cyber Liberty

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 02:25:15 pm »
I should have added hot chocolate and donuts!
@Cyber Liberty

Hot, mulled cider is also nice.

I am somewhat affected during the "dark days" as I call them: the period that lies roughly between November 10th and February 15th when the sun is feeble and low on the horizon, darkness descends early, and morning comes late. During this time, I take vitamin D supplements, which really does seem to help. As does an occasional nip of single malt whiskey, but that's another story...
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Applewood

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 02:34:05 pm »
I get depressed every winter.  I hate the cold, plus my cardiologist said I shouldn't be outside in the cold for more than a couple of minutes anyway.  This time of year, we seldom get a break from the cold, snow and seemingly endless cloudy days, so I'm home looking at 4 walls for days, weeks, even months on end.

I will get a break though next week when I head for my annual Clearwater Beach vacation.  Might not be more than 70 degrees down there, but it's a heckuva lot warmer than western PA. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 02:52:20 pm »
When I lived up north, I'm pretty sure I did get SAD every winter.  It's cold here, but not so cold that it keeps me indoors and I think that's probably the key.  And, yes, Vitamin D supplements do seem to help.

Online Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 03:01:50 pm »
My GP also recommendation vitamin D supplements!

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 03:11:12 pm »
Nah. I have too much to do.
I'm taking a D3 with K2 supplement but I am not sure I know why.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 03:13:53 pm by Restored »
Countdown to Resignation

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 03:12:41 pm »
For me, it's weather dependent. It is sunny and going to be 56 today, a little chilly. The temperature can range widely in winter, from the twenties to the eighties.

When the clouds descend so do my spirits. I do take vitamin D.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 04:02:25 pm »
We get lots of crisp sunny days up here very crisp so no, if I'm someplace like Seattle where it is rainy and overcast all winter then I get a bit down sometimes..for me its a function of how much sun not how cold it is... :shrug:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 04:03:19 pm by montanajoe »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 04:09:38 pm »
Guys, I take Vitamin D, not because of the dreary weather, but because I have kidney disease which makes me deficient.  Haven't noticed any benefit for my winter blues though. 

But hey -- if D supplements work for you, who am I to tell you not to take them?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 04:10:43 pm »
What is this "Winter" of which you speak?   :laugh:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 04:10:59 pm »
My GP also recommendation vitamin D supplements!
@Freya

"Vitamin D3 is considered the most natural form of Vitamin D."
I have taken this supplement every day since 2011 as my doc said I had very little of it in my body.

I am not depressed in winter or any other time, however, I don't do well if I am outdoors in about 45 degrees or less.  Did not go to church yesterday as I couldn't deal with wet cold in the 40s to get there.  My back muscles tend to grab in pain in the cold.  We are going to pre-warm the car next time when I need to go somewhere; that would keep me from getting so cold inside myself before the car is warm.

Depression: A person is the only one who moves the wheels in his/her brain so a person can decide to depress him/herself or not.

Offline flowers

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 04:59:13 pm »
I love winter up here...it is minus 8 outside right now. a few hours ago got a cup of hot water out of the microwave and went outside and tossed it into the air....love to hear it freeze and turn to ice.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2019, 04:30:51 am »
I love winter up here...it is minus 8 outside right now. a few hours ago got a cup of hot water out of the microwave and went outside and tossed it into the air....love to hear it freeze and turn to ice.

SOOO good to see you, my friend!

@flowers

Offline flowers

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 03:36:44 pm »

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2019, 03:38:42 pm »
  Good to see you too! @Right_in_Virginia

Please visit often .... we miss you!!  @flowers

Do you have four feet of snow yet?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2019, 08:46:51 pm »
I like the way the mud stays put, solid, much harder to track in or get stuck in.  :shrug:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2019, 09:03:40 pm »
Nah. I have too much to do.
I'm taking a D3 with K2 supplement but I am not sure I know why.

I have diagnosed SAD along with circadian rhythm disorder...

I have been on mega-doses of vitamin D many, many times.

This time is very different...

I am jacking about 10k IU a day in D along with vit K - First time ever that I was told to take K with D. and WOW! what an effect. Just about immediately, it started working great... awake with the dawn and immediately entirely aware... No brain fog at all. Absolutely clear right from the time my eyes open up. That has never been so ever in my entire life.

And another thing - I had been jacking vit C just prior to going onto the D, and quit once the D started... About a week in the D started to lose effect... getting foggy, starting to slip on the clock again... I thought maybe it was because the C was getting used by the D, and maybe that was running low... So I got back on the 2k mg C I was taking, and again, almost immediately the effectiveness of the D returned. So I am going to 3k mg C and see if that makes it even better...

D needs K, and apparently C, and watch your potassium, magnesium, and calcium levels...

If this keeps up, this is going to be the best winter I have ever had.

Offline flowers

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2019, 09:21:46 pm »
Please visit often .... we miss you!!  @flowers

Do you have four feet of snow yet?

no only 3ft, but it was minus 9 this am. I found out I have a cat living under my place, it has been 15 below up here one time, first saw that cat in June. Black with gold eyes. I feed it now did this am wild to see that cat come out and eat when it is minus 9. We will get most our snow in March. @Right_in_Virginia

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2019, 10:21:09 pm »
All of 65 here today, but I'm getting used to winter and was able to walk the dogs without breaking out the long sleeves.  It's only going to be a few days before it warms up to something reasonable.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline corbe

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2019, 10:50:32 pm »
   My Sadness seems to more closely coincide with my ol ladys impending return, like MacArthur you know she'll be back, every 3~4 weeks and less to do with the cold, wet crap outside.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2019, 11:18:36 pm »
no only 3ft, but it was minus 9 this am. I found out I have a cat living under my place, it has been 15 below up here one time, first saw that cat in June. Black with gold eyes. I feed it now did this am wild to see that cat come out and eat when it is minus 9. We will get most our snow in March. @Right_in_Virginia

Only three feet!?!  We got eight inches and the district shut down.   happy77 

Is the cat officially adopted now @flowers  .... at least through the winter?

Offline flowers

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2019, 12:09:19 am »
Only three feet!?!  We got eight inches and the district shut down.   happy77 

Is the cat officially adopted now @flowers  .... at least through the winter?
Yes will feed the cat as long as I see it is eating the food. The last time I was in DC it had snowed 2 inches...they shut the town down, was able to get a cab that didn't charge me the snow rates....I had left up here to go to dads funeral in Arlington, when I left here so much snow was on the ground when I opened my truck door it made a inprint in the snow.

Snow was almost to my headlights! Eight inches isn't even worth snowblowing up here unless it is going to snow a few days in a row, which happens all the time. Just have to pay attention to the weather, sometimes they get it right. Our weather is strange living so high on this mountain. I have left here many times when it is sunny and it will snow or hail or rain any month of the year. Love it up here. Later gurl!  @Right_in_Virginia

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2019, 12:32:27 am »
Yes will feed the cat as long as I see it is eating the food. The last time I was in DC it had snowed 2 inches...they shut the town down, was able to get a cab that didn't charge me the snow rates....I had left up here to go to dads funeral in Arlington, when I left here so much snow was on the ground when I opened my truck door it made a inprint in the snow.

Snow was almost to my headlights! Eight inches isn't even worth snowblowing up here unless it is going to snow a few days in a row, which happens all the time. Just have to pay attention to the weather, sometimes they get it right. Our weather is strange living so high on this mountain. I have left here many times when it is sunny and it will snow or hail or rain any month of the year. Love it up here. Later gurl!  @Right_in_Virginia

@flowers

You like cats?  OK...you are now my friend and comrade without further introduction.  Please let me add my voice to @Right_in_Virginia's and urge you to please stay awhile at TBR.  Your voice has been missed.

For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2019, 07:52:21 pm »
One of the things that gives me the blues is the constant attempt to derail Trump's presidency and the continued corruption of the DEMS and RINO's!!!!  We are facing losing our sovereignty.  No scotch or hot chocolate is going to cure that one. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.