Author Topic: Wild dogs found in Texas appear to carry DNA of extinct wolf  (Read 2366 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Wild dogs found in Texas appear to carry DNA of extinct wolf
« on: January 16, 2019, 02:07:49 am »
ABC7 1/15/2019 by Jonathan Drew

Researchers say a pack of wild canines found frolicking near the beaches of the Texas Gulf Coast carries a substantial amount of red wolf genes, a surprising discovery because the animal was declared extinct in the wild nearly 40 years ago.

The finding has led wildlife biologists and others to develop a new understanding that the red wolf DNA is remarkably resilient after decades of human hunting, loss of habitat and other factors had led the animal to near decimation.

"Overall, it's incredibly rare to rediscover animals in a region where they were thought to be extinct and it's even more exciting to show that a piece of an endangered genome has been preserved in the wild," said Elizabeth Heppenheimer, a Princeton University biologist involved in the research on the pack found on Galveston Island in Texas. The work of the Princeton team was published in the scientific journal Genes.

The genetic analysis found that the Galveston canines appear to be a hybrid of red wolf and coyote, but Heppenheimer cautions that without additional testing, it's difficult to label the animal.

Ron Sutherland, a North Carolina-based conservation scientist with the Wildlands Network, said it's exciting to have found "this unique and fascinating medium-sized wolf."

The survival of the red wolf genes "without much help from us for the last 40 years is wonderful news," said Sutherland, who was not involved in the Princeton study.

More: https://abc7chicago.com/pets-animals/dogs-found-in-texas-appear-to-carry-dna-of-extinct-wolf/5081776/

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Wild dogs found in Texas appear to carry DNA of extinct wolf
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 02:25:16 am »
Very cool!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 06:36:16 am »
Now they'll try to get them listed as endangered and everyone will get to see them....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 07:02:24 am »
I would be wondering if the Red Wolf is as extinct as they think it is...

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 10:00:04 am »
I would be wondering if the Red Wolf is as extinct as they think it is...
@roamer_1
@Freya 

We live in a city north of Dallas.  It is growing so fast, Bobcats are displaced from two lakes around in this area, and they are leaping into yards near us and killing small pet dogs and cats.  Our Yorkie sometimes starts barking in a high voice, she knows something is out there wants into the back yard.  We have to check the yard before we let her out.  A Bobcat could kill her in a minute.  She is usually after squirrels to chase who come in the yard and live in the trees.  We also have about 25 bird houses and she sees the birds in bushes and trees and standing on "front porches" of the birdhouses.  The squirrels and birds are in her terrority and she "protects" us from them.  If someone comes near our front door, she has a barking fit.  Don't come in her territory.  Isn't it interesting how dogs, even these little ones, are protectors of their "space"?

Question: What is going to happen to the Bobcats?  No one is hunting them (that I know of), but people are losing their pets.  There is a blog consisting of people who live in this large subdivision and we all feel terrible when someone posts their pet has been killed. You see my Yorkie's picture, she is 7 years old and if she was killed, we just couldn't stand this precious member of our family being killed. She loves everyone and her groomer uses her to calm dogs who are nervous being there.

How do we get rid of the Bobcats?  The people aren't leaving so the Bobcats must go away.  So far, no children have been attacked.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 10:24:45 am »
@roamer_1
@Freya 

We live in a city north of Dallas.  It is growing so fast, Bobcats are displaced from two lakes around in this area, and they are leaping into yards near us and killing small pet dogs and cats.  Our Yorkie sometimes starts barking in a high voice, she knows something is out there wants into the back yard.  We have to check the yard before we let her out.  A Bobcat could kill her in a minute.  She is usually after squirrels to chase who come in the yard and live in the trees.  We also have about 25 bird houses and she sees the birds in bushes and trees and standing on "front porches" of the birdhouses.  The squirrels and birds are in her terrority and she "protects" us from them.  If someone comes near our front door, she has a barking fit.  Don't come in her territory.  Isn't it interesting how dogs, even these little ones, are protectors of their "space"?

Question: What is going to happen to the Bobcats?  No one is hunting them (that I know of), but people are losing their pets.  There is a blog consisting of people who live in this large subdivision and we all feel terrible when someone posts their pet has been killed. You see my Yorkie's picture, she is 7 years old and if she was killed, we just couldn't stand this precious member of our family being killed. She loves everyone and her groomer uses her to calm dogs who are nervous being there.

How do we get rid of the Bobcats?  The people aren't leaving so the Bobcats must go away.  So far, no children have been attacked.
If the DNR won't take care of them (live trapping and relocation) it gets tricky. Are they protected in your area?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 10:48:48 am »

@Victoria33

The problem is similar to trying to get a varmint out of a barn... Only way, way worse because it is suburbia... Too many critters you want to keep...

Were it here, I would be trapping em... but you can't use a kill trap or a leg trap without maybe catching something you don't want caught... and even a leg trap, which doesn't kill, might seriously maim a small dog or house cat that might step in it... At least one useful for pinning a bobcat.

So you are probably down to two real options - either live trapping, which will catch many many other critters for every bobcat you might get - wild cats are wary compared to domestic critters and are way less likely to get caught....

Or, and most likely, trail cams to find territory, tracking, and live line-of-sight hunting.  :shrug:
I doubt that's what you wanted to hear...

Out in the sticks that'd be a call to a neighbor kid and pay him for the ears... Down there in the city, I don't know how it's done.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 12:47:33 pm »
In the city, I guess it depends on how many complaints there have been. Where I used to hunt, the neighbor made silenced weapons for municipal pest controls. He once brought over a silenced .22 H&R Handi-Rifle to let us shoot. Very quiet. You'd never know they were in your neighborhood dispatching pests.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 02:16:07 pm »
There is a place in TN that rehabs wolves and then releases them.  You should see the fortress walls they've built around those wolves because they are so skilled at getting out!  I know of two instances when red wolves in zoos have escaped either permanently or temporarily.  It doesn't surprise me that they are finding dogs with red wolf genes.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline berdie

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 11:20:37 pm »
@roamer_1
@Freya 

Just a thought @Victoria33 have you tried calling Texas Parks and Wildlife?  They will respond and do a catch and relocate out here in th stix. But that could be due to the cattle and other producing animals in the area.  I don't know :shrug:

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 11:36:12 pm »
Just a thought @Victoria33 have you tried calling Texas Parks and Wildlife?  They will respond and do a catch and relocate out here in th stix. But that could be due to the cattle and other producing animals in the area.  I don't know :shrug:
@berdie

Bob, my partner, is the one who reads and posts on the blog for this subdivision.  I'll ask him if anyone has brought up that possibility, and if not, to suggest it himself.  Prissy, the Yorkie, was at the groomer's today and Prissy looks beautiful and loves her groomer lady.  When we pick her up from groomer, we take her through the McDonald's Drive Thru and they put a quarter-pounder, just the meat, in a container for her, costs $1.62.  When we get home, I break it up and give her half of it and she scarfs that down really fast.

Offline berdie

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 11:58:26 pm »
Be safe Prissy!!

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 01:13:43 am »
I always go outside with my three little dogs-day or night. A coyote could easily jump my four foot fence. Haven't seen any bobcat, but they are here as well as the occasional mountain lion.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 02:19:15 am »
I always go outside with my three little dogs-day or night. A coyote could easily jump my four foot fence. Haven't seen any bobcat, but they are here as well as the occasional mountain lion.

Best thing would be to get a big dog to watch over his little buddies. No coyote or bobcat is gonna risk a Rot or G.Shepherd, or Malamute, as instances...

Ladies around here have them little dogs too... It's funnier than heck to watch a chihuahua thinking he is all that, facing down a threat... with four barnyard maulers standing right behind him.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 02:24:02 am »
Now they'll try to get them listed as endangered and everyone will get to see them....

Ding! This is an attempt at regulatory creep. 'Well, THEY aren't endangered, but they carry the DNA of a species that is, so we must ban use of 1.45 million square miles of land forever, just in case one of these animals might come within 50 miles of traveling thru there.'
The Republic is lost.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2019, 04:06:42 pm »
Best thing would be to get a big dog to watch over his little buddies. No coyote or bobcat is gonna risk a Rot or G.Shepherd, or Malamute, as instances...

Ladies around here have them little dogs too... It's funnier than heck to watch a chihuahua thinking he is all that, facing down a threat... with four barnyard maulers standing right behind him.

My pups are mostly indoors. I don't mind going out with them. Don't think I can handle a big dog.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2019, 07:06:49 pm »
My pups are mostly indoors. I don't mind going out with them. Don't think I can handle a big dog.

Depends on the big dog.  Atticus, seen in my avatar, is 32" at the shoulder and 150 lbs is calm as flat water.  Only a threat animates him.  It's the nature of the breed, they are very protective but not aggressive unless a threat is present.  He doesn't even chase squirrels.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2019, 07:17:15 pm »
Depends on the big dog.  Atticus, seen in my avatar, is 32" at the shoulder and 150 lbs is calm as flat water.  Only a threat animates him.  It's the nature of the breed, they are very protective but not aggressive unless a threat is present.  He doesn't even chase squirrels.

Yes, that's my experience with Pyrs too.  However, my Pyr/Border Collie does go after squirrels.  He seems to be particularly insulted by their presence.  (And, he's only 110 lbs.)