Author Topic: Study This Picture: This Could Be the Army's New Future Infantry Fighting  (Read 877 times)

rangerrebew

January 7, 2019

Study This Picture: This Could Be the Army's New Future Infantry Fighting

Introdicing the Lynx: an effort to combine German combat-vehicle engineering and expertise with Raytheon’s weaponry, sensor and computing technology.
by Kris Osborn

The Army is vigorously pursuing a new combat vehicle able to launch attack drones, carry longer-range TOW missiles, fire a 50mm cannon and operate “optionally-manned” technology, according to initial requirements outlined by service weapons developers.

The Optionally Manned Vehicle, an infantry fighting vehicle, is intended as a high-tech, more mobile and more lethal Bradley. The Army is already working closely with industry on accelerated plans to plans to engineer a mobile infantry carrier able to deploy quickly, traverse rough terrain, keep pace with maneuvering infantry and yet also operate with sufficient protection necessary to thwart the most advanced enemy attacks.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/study-picture-could-be-armys-new-future-infantry-fighting-40837

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
They can be called "Drone Bait".

I take it from this article that all future infantry will be mechanized infantry?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Unmanned?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Unmanned?

@truth_seeker

Nope. According to the article,a crew of three and an infantry squad (6-8 men) for passengers.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
@truth_seeker

Nope. According to the article,a crew of three and an infantry squad (6-8 men) for passengers.

Cool. Anold friend from college, became a career Army combat arms officer, and headed/worked on the Stryker vehicle. His service spanned Vietnam,, Grenada, Iraq I, Balkans.

Following retirement with 37years of service, he worked for a major weapons and systems firm.

He was one of the former generals, that supprted Trump in 2016.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Cool. Anold friend from college, became a career Army combat arms officer, and headed/worked on the Stryker vehicle. His service spanned Vietnam,, Grenada, Iraq I, Balkans.

Following retirement with 37years of service, he worked for a major weapons and systems firm.

He was one of the former generals, that supprted Trump in 2016.

I guess that stuff is alright for the mec infantry guys,but they just look like artillery and mortar magnets to me. If I were still young enough to be on AD,you would never catch me anywhere near one.

Offline montanajoe

They can be called "Drone Bait".

I take it from this article that all future infantry will be mechanized infantry?

IMO it's foolish to think Drone's will ever replace the grunt, seems like wishful thinking of folks who have never served... :shrug:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
IMO it's foolish to think Drone's will ever replace the grunt, seems like wishful thinking of folks who have never served... :shrug:

@montanajoe

Yeah,but I have served,and have taken part in an ambush or three. I repeat,those things are mortar and artillery bait.

Not to mention attack helicopters and fast movers.

As for drones,I can see where drones can be a HUGE "force multiplier" to the point where drones can do pretty much ALL the recon and spotter duties now performed by small special operation units,and call in air strikes on enemy strong-points and troop movements.

MUCH better to fight smart than it is to fight hard.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 01:11:14 am by sneakypete »

Offline dfwgator

If the liberals had their way, this would be the future Infantry....

Offline montanajoe

@montanajoe

@sneakypete

MUCH better to fight smart than it is to fight hard.

Absolutely, the concern I have is that so few have served, I remember JFK's best and brightest, Mac in particular, didn't let you guys do the job early and sent us in at the end to retreat.. :shrug:

A bunch of my friends had sons and a daughter or two come home for Christmas leave, they were to a person awesome. IMO my generation, the baby boomers, as a whole are a generation of unpatriotic cowards, but talking and seeing again how fine our military personnel is today gave me a bit of hope for our country.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 02:16:01 am by montanajoe »