Author Topic: U.S. Advise-and-Assist Missions Erode Leadership Skills, Army General Says  (Read 365 times)

rangerrebew

U.S. Advise-and-Assist Missions Erode Leadership Skills, Army General Says

by Matthew Cox – Military.com

The head of Army Training and Doctrine Command said Jan. 7 that the U.S. military's advise-and-assist missions in places such as Iraq and Afghanistan have eroded young leaders' confidence and willingness to make necessary decisions.

Gen. Stephen Townsend, TRADOC commander, said he is "troubled" that many young leaders -- from sergeants to lieutenant colonels -- don't believe in Army Mission Command, the service's doctrine designed to empower ground combat leaders to make decisions that may not follow initial orders from senior commanders.

"There is a lot of agreement that Mission Command is the right leadership and command doctrine for our Army; however, there is an alarming number of folks in uniform who don't believe that we, as an Army, are constantly practicing the principles of Mission Command," he told an audience Monday at an Association of the United States Army event.

https://smallwarsjournal.com/blog/us-advise-and-assist-missions-erode-leadership-skills-army-general-says

Offline RetBobbyMI

I read this article yesterday and first reaction was Gen Townsend was spot on. I know of good soldiers and leaders who have been persecuted for making on the spot decisions not to the liking of their superiors because they didn’t ask permission first.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy