Author Topic: Graham gives up on shutdown talks: 'I have never been more depressed'  (Read 2199 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Graham gives up on shutdown talks: 'I have never been more depressed'
by Al Weaver
 | January 10, 2019 03:20 PM

Sen. Lindsey Graham said Thursday he has given up his attempt to negotiate an end the partial government shutdown and said he has "never been more depressed" after trying to find an answer.

Graham had been pushing the White House, Senate Republicans, and Senate Democrats to find a legislative agreement on border security so President Trump wouldn't have to declare a national emergency to access money to build a border wall. But Graham's effort came crashing down Thursday as momentum halted.

"I just don't see a pathway," Graham told reporters. "I'm done. I don't know who to talk to, and I don't know what else to do."

"I don't see a pathway forward. The president's not going to back down," he said. "The Democrats are apparently not going to negotiate until the government is open, and if you even open the government, the House isn't going to negotiate about funding for the wall."

The lack of any legislative solution had some observers guessing that President Trump would soon declare a national emergency in order to gain access to federal money to build parts of the border wall without waiting for approval from Congress.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/congress/graham-gives-up-on-shutdown-talks-i-have-never-been-more-depressed
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

Re: Graham gives up on shutdown talks: 'I have never been more depressed'
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 09:10:57 pm »
Ok...so in reading Graham's statement..."so President Trump wouldn't have to declare a national emergency to access money to build a border wall" ... indicates that there is a reluctancy and hesitancy from him for Trump to declare a national emergency.  Senator Graham what are you afraid of?   Perhaps he's afraid of the powers allocated to the President while under a National Emergency??  Perhaps he fears Trump will take this further?

I'm sure the DEMS already have their judges lined up to oppose this.

Meanwhile ... I'm waiting for the next caravan to appear; that would make a clear case for this President to act.  Of course, Soros could always be paying them to hold off right now.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 09:22:41 pm »
Lindseed.  Don't get mad and depressed.  Get freaking even!
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 09:24:09 pm »
Lindseed.  Don't get mad and depressed.  Get freaking even!

Nah ... they need to let him loose again on the public airwaves and let him vent his frustrations.  He seems to be very effective when he does so.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 01:26:39 am »
Nah ... they need to let him loose again on the public airwaves and let him vent his frustrations.  He seems to be very effective when he does so.

I agree.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 01:55:12 am »
Apparently sounder minds in Washington have concluded there's no stopping this game of chicken.
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 01:56:26 am »
Graham:
"I just don't see a pathway," Graham told reporters. "I'm done. I don't know who to talk to, and I don't know what else to do."
"I don't see a pathway forward. The president's not going to back down"

Fishrrman:
Stuff it, a-hole.
Backing up Mr. Trump IS "the pathway forward".
Get your whiney little a@@ behind him and start walking it, too.

Offline Meldrew

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 03:46:52 am »

"I don't see a pathway forward. The president's not going to back down," he said. "The Democrats are apparently not going to negotiate until the government is open, and if you even open the government, the House isn't going to negotiate about funding for the wall."

Sounds rather like McCain-espue triangulation. Above all the squabbling, searching for answers for the people.  Kinda milquetoast for a man (and I use the term loosely) who told Democrats not so long ago "this shows just how badly you want power, I hope you never get it!". 

The more things change, the more thay stay the same.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 04:51:03 am »
Graham:
"I don't see a pathway forward. The president's not going to back down"

Fishrrman:
Stuff it, a-hole.
Backing up Mr. Trump IS "the pathway forward".
Get your whiney little a@@ behind him and start walking it, too.

Learn what you are talking about... Read the article...

Graham To Trump: Declare A National Emergency For The Border Wall

Matt Vespa   @mvespa1
|
Posted: Jan 10, 2019

Well, Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) has had enough with Democrats unwilling to compromise on border security. After days of haggling, he’s finally come around to the idea that the president should declare a national emergency for the border wall. Yesterday, Trump had a meeting with Speaker Pelosi and Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY), where he proposed re-opening the government in exchange for parts of his wall being built. The Democrats refused.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2019/01/10/graham-to-trump-declare-a-national-emergency-for-the-border-wall-n2538873

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 03:30:48 pm »
This is what happens to a man that's not married, at his age, they have no idea what jar their balls are in.

Exactly.  I know where mine are.  In a mason jar on the top shelf of the pantry right where my wife put them
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 03:38:05 pm »
Someone should tell this Govt' Fetishist that no one cares that the govt' is shut down.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 03:43:29 pm »
Sounds rather like McCain-espue triangulation. Above all the squabbling, searching for answers for the people.  Kinda milquetoast for a man (and I use the term loosely) who told Democrats not so long ago "this shows just how badly you want power, I hope you never get it!". 

The more things change, the more thay stay the same.

Yeah he is depressed alright.  He saw this shutdown as his opportunity to shove his gang of 8 plan down Americans throats.  He thought he was going to be negotiator in chief.  Well nobody wanted Lindsey Graham for president because he is a weasel.  He is a McCain kind of Rhino who spends his time trying to appease liberals.  The only deal I want to see is no chain migration.  No benefits for illegal immigrants.  No birthright citizenship.  And full funding for the wall.  Trump needs to up the ante not drop it.  26 billion should be the number now because Democrats have show it is going to be impossible to get the rest.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 05:45:55 pm »
Yeah he is depressed alright.  He saw this shutdown as his opportunity to shove his gang of 8 plan down Americans throats.  He thought he was going to be negotiator in chief.  Well nobody wanted Lindsey Graham for president because he is a weasel.  He is a McCain kind of Rhino who spends his time trying to appease liberals.  The only deal I want to see is no chain migration.  No benefits for illegal immigrants.  No birthright citizenship.  And full funding for the wall.  Trump needs to up the ante not drop it.  26 billion should be the number now because Democrats have show it is going to be impossible to get the rest.

:amen:  I'd also like to see more border patrol agents, more drones, no DACA, no Dreamers, and a moratorium on migration into this country until we have a handle on our immigration crisis.

As for the dollar amount, I find it troubling that we can GIVE billions to other countries and we can't find the money to fund the dang border wall to protect our country?  B.S.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 05:54:50 pm »
:amen:  I'd also like to see more border patrol agents, more drones, no DACA, no Dreamers, and a moratorium on migration into this country until we have a handle on our immigration crisis.

As for the dollar amount, I find it troubling that we can GIVE billions to other countries and we can't find the money to fund the dang border wall to protect our country?  B.S.

Every year we give away more than 5 times the amount Trump is asking for.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline libertybele

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2019, 06:04:29 pm »
Every year we give away more than 5 times the amount Trump is asking for.

Not only that billions are spent on ridiculous projects.  IMHO as an example, I think for one year we could shut NASA down.  Their budget was $17.6 Billion dollars for the year!!  Seriously.  I'd rather see a wall built to secure our borders, than collecting data from others planets and sending spacecraft into orbit!

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2019, 06:08:12 pm »
I think for one year we could shut NASA down.

Outrageous. We should be spending a lot more on NASA. We could do that and fund the wall, easily.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2019, 01:23:56 am »

I know, cut some pork too.  I bet that the Democrats would not complain about sending 10 billion to Mexico and Central America.

In addition to all those things what will really stop them flat is knowing that they can't get all the benefits.  Our ancestors that immigrated had to take care of themselves.  And birthright citizenship.  That's the golden ticket.  I've got the golden ticket!!!!

Who wouldn't come?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 01:28:34 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2019, 01:29:52 am »

Outrageous. We should be spending a lot more on NASA. We could do that and fund the wall, easily.

I could handle shutting down NASA for a year.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2019, 05:31:19 pm »
Sen. Lindsey Graham said Thursday he has given up his attempt to negotiate an end the partial government shutdown and said he has "never been more depressed" after trying to find an answer.

Oh come now, Lindsey.  You have been working alongside Democrats for a quarter century.  You should be used to it by now.  Fact is that nothing can be done until the House decides to pass a spending bill.  And with Democrats in full control of the House, the onus falls squarely on them.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2019, 05:41:16 pm »

We could just as easily cut the Social Security budget by 30% without shorting a single retiree.  That alone would pay for ten border walls.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2019, 07:11:06 pm »
We could just as easily cut the Social Security budget by 30% without shorting a single retiree.  That alone would pay for ten border walls.

I do not agree.  Politicians seem to think that Social Security is always the place to get money.  By the time my children have given into it for most of their adult life they will get nothing.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2019, 07:25:37 pm »
I do not agree.  Politicians seem to think that Social Security is always the place to get money.  By the time my children have given into it for most of their adult life they will get nothing.

That is already the case since 30% of Social Security outlays go to people that are not retirees. You know, like people who were deemed 'permanently unemployed' under Obama in order to make his unemployment numbers look better.  Not to mention the fact that Social Security is a great big Ponzi scheme.  And as with all ponzi schemes, it doesn't end well.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2019, 08:02:42 pm »

@Chosen Daughter

I can't. It is the greatest search for knowledge in all of human history,and any nation that is willing to quit seeking knowledge is already dead.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2019, 08:38:00 pm »
@Chosen Daughter

I can't. It is the greatest search for knowledge in all of human history,and any nation that is willing to quit seeking knowledge is already dead.

For a year.  There is no single issue more important than border security.  If we don't secure it there won't be any money left for NASA in the very near future.  We will be spending too much on taking care of low wage illegal aliens.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2019, 09:36:20 pm »
For a year.  There is no single issue more important than border security.  If we don't secure it there won't be any money left for NASA in the very near future.  We will be spending too much on taking care of low wage illegal aliens.

@Chosen Daughter

I agree with there being no other issue as important,but with all the pork there is in the budget,there are better places to come up with the money than in virtually the only tentacle of government dedicated to learning the unknown and exploring the universe.

For example,we could get the money from the part of the budget that pays to protect Saudi Arabia. :whistle:
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!