Author Topic: High Tax Rates Won’t Work in Today’s Economy  (Read 14784 times)

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: High Tax Rates Won’t Work in Today’s Economy
« Reply #100 on: January 17, 2019, 07:08:20 pm »
That fine! You are perfectly entitled to do that but I'll tell you this, you will never again be a TRULY free man for so long as the Marxist income tax and the IRS remain in existence.
And you won't be free without those things, either. The oppressors will just be of a different sort.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #101 on: January 17, 2019, 07:18:18 pm »
And you won't be free without those things, either. The oppressors will just be of a different sort.

So, what's the solution, @jmyrlefuller?

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #102 on: January 17, 2019, 07:35:23 pm »

I suppose you are right @jmyrlefuller.  We should just spit on the graves of our ancestors and submit! Maybe so, but you'll NEVER find me in that crowd!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #103 on: January 17, 2019, 08:49:06 pm »
All in all, the most interesting part of this discussion has been that it is over funding a Government grown far beyond those limited Constitutional duties and powers it was to have.
Certainly, returning to that limited Federal Government, to the confines of its originally intended powers, would drastically reduce the need for funding, and that could be collected from the tariffs and duties which that government may levy without the 16th Amendment. There can be no meaningful and appropriate modification of the tax structure without eliminating that Amendment, and once more freeing the fruits of the labors of the individual from the clutches of the Government.

Otherwise, all we're arguing about is the color of our chains.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #104 on: January 17, 2019, 09:12:50 pm »
@Smokin Joe

Here's a link to section 401 of HR25, commonly known as the fairtax act. It address the subject of your most recent post.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/25/text#toc-H4FD7CC96F903402B83325A9C9A86D7B3

And the entire bill is here:  https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/25/text

Enjoy

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #105 on: January 17, 2019, 09:53:18 pm »
@Smokin Joe

Here's a link to section 401 of HR25, commonly known as the fairtax act. It address the subject of your most recent post.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/25/text#toc-H4FD7CC96F903402B83325A9C9A86D7B3

And the entire bill is here:  https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/25/text

Enjoy
With all due respect, the prebate is a deal killer for me.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #106 on: January 17, 2019, 10:31:31 pm »
With all due respect, the prebate is a deal killer for me.

That truly saddens me but doesn't lesson my respect for you at all @Smokin Joe.  I am convinced that this, warts and all, is the key to unravelling the federal leviathan.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #107 on: January 17, 2019, 10:34:25 pm »
That truly saddens me but doesn't lesson my respect for you at all @Smokin Joe.  I am convinced that this, warts and all, is the key to unravelling the federal leviathan.
Repeal the 16th Amendment.
Repeal the 17th Amendment.

That right there will get you a lot closer to unravelling it.

C S Lewis

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #108 on: January 17, 2019, 11:41:47 pm »
Repeal the 16th Amendment.
Repeal the 17th Amendment.

That right there will get you a lot closer to unravelling it.

I never really cared much about the 17th until I thought about it in the context of the 16th.

Now I think it's critical that we gut them together.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2019, 01:32:38 am »
I never really cared much about the 17th until I thought about it in the context of the 16th.

Now I think it's critical that we gut them together.
If we repeal the 17th, we also have to ratify the Dirksen Amendment allowing for representation of a state legislature by a measure of other than population alone; i.e. counties.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #110 on: January 18, 2019, 01:48:07 am »
I am definitely on board for killing the 17th.  But there is no way two-thirds of the Senate will go along.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline aligncare

« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2019, 12:32:34 pm »
I am definitely on board for killing the 17th.  But there is no way two-thirds of the Senate will go along.

They would most certainly do what is best for their cushy careers and not what is best for the future of America. Gutless politicians. But I repeat myself.