Author Topic: Trump walks out of border security meeting after Pelosi rejects wall pitch  (Read 1922 times)

Offline Applewood

Trump walks out of border security meeting after Pelosi rejects wall pitch

President Trump walked out of a White House meeting with congressional leaders Wednesday afternoon over the partial government shutdown after House Speaker Nancy Pelosi again rejected supporting new funding for a border wall, according to those in the meeting.

Speaking to reporters after the brief session, New York Democratic Sen. Chuck Schumer, the Senate minority leader, said the “president just got up and walked out."

“He asked Speaker Pelosi, ‘will you agree to my wall?’ She said no. And he just got up, and said, 'Well we’ve got nothing to discuss,'" Schumer said.

The president, in a tweet, called the meeting “a total waste of time” and appeared to confirm that he left after Pelosi's answer.

More at:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-walks-out-of-meeting-after-speaker-pelosi-rejects-border-wall

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
“He asked Speaker Pelosi, ‘will you agree to my wall?’ She said no. And he just got up, and said, 'Well we’ve got nothing to discuss,'" Schumer said.

The president, in a tweet, called the meeting “a total waste of time” and appeared to confirm that he left after Pelosi's answer.

LMAO...I don't blame him..why waste your time listening to more of the same..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
"Democrats saying they won’t entertain the discussion until Congress passes and Trump signs a package re-opening shuttered federal agencies."

Put it on Billboards.

"Democrats care about the Swamp, not you and your family."
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

:amen:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Good for the President.  His time is more valuable than engaging with these assclowns.   A deal means give and take - the Dems won't give; they only want to take.   Even as Trump has reduced his border security demand from $25 billion to $5.7 billion.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Same here.   :shrug:

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
"Just left a meeting with Chuck and Nancy, a total waste of time. I asked what is going to happen in 30 days if I quickly open things up, are you going to approve Border Security which includes a Wall or Steel Barrier? Nancy said, NO. I said bye-bye, nothing else works!"
President Trump
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Here's the President's actual quote @mystery-ak

Donald J. Trump

Verified accountï‚™ @realDonaldTrump 

Just left a meeting with Chuck and Nancy, a total waste of time. I asked what is going to happen in 30 days if I quickly open things up, are you going to approve Border Security which includes a Wall or Steel Barrier? Nancy said, NO. I said bye-bye, nothing else works!

12:34 PM - 9 Jan 2019

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1083099784012091396?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Trump did a great thing. Don't cave.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline bilo

"Just left a meeting with Chuck and Nancy, a total waste of time. I asked what is going to happen in 30 days if I quickly open things up, are you going to approve Border Security which includes a Wall or Steel Barrier? Nancy said, NO. I said bye-bye, nothing else works!"
President Trump

I think all sides know a national emergency is going to be declared. I'm sure the Rats will figure the shutdown will be ended then and they can get an injunction from a liberal judge to stop the military from building the wall. FWIW, if I was Trump I would continue the shutdown until all the court issues are resolved. Fight this war with the Rats on two fronts.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline libertybele

Re: Trump walks out of border security meeting after Pelosi rejects wall pitch
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 01:24:00 am »
I think all sides know a national emergency is going to be declared. I'm sure the Rats will figure the shutdown will be ended then and they can get an injunction from a liberal judge to stop the military from building the wall. FWIW, if I was Trump I would continue the shutdown until all the court issues are resolved. Fight this war with the Rats on two fronts.

A liberal judge would of course order an injunction, but he would have to rule that Trump doesn't have authority over the military and as Commander in Chief he does.  I don't think any judge can stop him; otherwise this will go all the way to the SCOTUS.  Does Trump have the Constitutional authority to order the military?  Hands down yes!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 02:21:01 am »
It is past time, for the Usual Suspect weak Republicans to start giving in.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 02:23:18 am »
Same here.   :shrug:

I don't blame him either.  Good for him.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2019, 02:51:26 am »
A liberal judge would of course order an injunction, but he would have to rule that Trump doesn't have authority over the military and as Commander in Chief he does.  I don't think any judge can stop him; otherwise this will go all the way to the SCOTUS.  Does Trump have the Constitutional authority to order the military?  Hands down yes!
It would be difficult for the Rats to invoke the Posse Comitatus Act against a construction project. Not a police action, so, exempt. If the President chooses this course of action, I don't think the Dems have a card to play.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 02:04:38 pm »
Donald J. Trump
Verified accountï‚™ @realDonaldTrump 

Cryin Chuck told his favorite lie when he used his standard sound bite that I “slammed the table & walked out of the room. He had a temper tantrum.” Because I knew he would say that, and after Nancy said no to proper Border Security, I politely said bye-bye and left, no slamming!

5:24 AM - 10 Jan 2019

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1083353895030702080?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Offline libertybele

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2019, 02:14:14 pm »
It would be difficult for the Rats to invoke the Posse Comitatus Act against a construction project. Not a police action, so, exempt. If the President chooses this course of action, I don't think the Dems have a card to play.

It is being reported by CNN that the GOP Senators are caving.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/09/politics/immigration-deal-wall-fight-republican-senators/index.html

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2019, 02:21:49 pm »
It is being reported by CNN that the GOP Senators are caving.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/09/politics/immigration-deal-wall-fight-republican-senators/index.html

Compromise -  where each side gets something it wants -  is not "caving".   So long as real funding for border security is obtained,  what is the objection to cutting a deal to help the "Dreamers"? 

Problem is, both sides'  extremists consider any such deal to be "caving".   The Dems wouldn't swap border security for Dreamers last year,  so there's little reason to expect they'll do so this year.   Politics in the era of Trump/Pelosi/Schumer is all about who can piss the farthest.    Bottom line is that I like the option of declaring a national emergency and using unallocated military funding to address border security.     

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2019, 02:33:49 pm »
Compromise -  where each side gets something it wants -  is not "caving".   So long as real funding for border security is obtained,  what is the objection to cutting a deal to help the "Dreamers"? 

Problem is, both sides'  extremists consider any such deal to be "caving".   The Dems wouldn't swap border security for Dreamers last year,  so there's little reason to expect they'll do so this year.   Politics in the era of Trump/Pelosi/Schumer is all about who can piss the farthest.    Bottom line is that I like the option of declaring a national emergency and using unallocated military funding to address border security.   

In this case the other side is on the far, far extreme, so giving in to them is indeed "caving". 

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2019, 02:36:28 pm »

Except with the democrats the game is give us what we want now and see if you can get what you want later! NO thanks!  I've had quite enough of the Lucy and the football crap!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2019, 02:41:02 pm »
In this case the other side is on the far, far extreme, so giving in to them is indeed "caving".

What "giving in"?    We get funding for border security, a matter critical to the GOP base, and they get normalization for "Dreamers",  a matter of interest to their base.   I'd agree, though, that border security is more critical to our base than the Dreamers are to theirs.   The Dems have already shown they don't give a damn about the Dreamers other than as political pawns when they had the chance to deal last year and refused.   The Dems' motivation is at this point is simply to deny Trump a political victory, and to hell with the cost.   

Trump's absolutely right - dealing with the Dems ought to be possible, but in the current climate is a complete waste of time.   Bypass this poisoned process and declare the national emergency, Mr. President.   

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2019, 03:04:26 pm »
What "giving in"?    We get funding for border security, a matter critical to the GOP base, and they get normalization for "Dreamers",  a matter of interest to their base.   I'd agree, though, that border security is more critical to our base than the Dreamers are to theirs.   The Dems have already shown they don't give a damn about the Dreamers other than as political pawns when they had the chance to deal last year and refused.   The Dems' motivation is at this point is simply to deny Trump a political victory, and to hell with the cost.   

Trump's absolutely right - dealing with the Dems ought to be possible, but in the current climate is a complete waste of time.   Bypass this poisoned process and declare the national emergency, Mr. President.

If that were the actual outcome, I might be persuadable, but that isn't going to be it. 

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2019, 03:13:00 pm »
If that were the actual outcome, I might be persuadable, but that isn't going to be it.

So what is your preferred approach - keep the government shut down until the Dems agree to fund border security,  or re-open the government and fund border security unilaterally on the basis of a declared national emergency (and fight the inevitable lawsuits in court)?   

I think I'd rather deal with the courts than Pelosi/Schumer, who lack good faith.  I also like that the declaration of a national emergency relieves GOP members of Congress from having to show their backbone.   

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2019, 03:20:18 pm »
Here's what compromising with democrats looks like!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2019, 03:21:41 pm »
So what is your preferred approach -
keep the government shut down until the Dems agree to fund border security,  or re-open the government and fund border security unilaterally on the basis of a declared national emergency (and fight the inevitable lawsuits in court)?

I think I'd rather deal with the courts than Pelosi/Schumer, who lack good faith.  I also like that the declaration of a national emergency relieves GOP members of Congress from having to show their backbone.

Yes, either of those options is preferable to being punked by the dems again.