Author Topic: Trump says GOP united in shutdown fight, urges them to 'stick together'  (Read 1167 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump says GOP united in shutdown fight, urges them to 'stick together'
by Susan Ferrechio
 | January 09, 2019 03:01 PM

Stick together.

That was the message President Trump delivered to an increasingly anxious Senate GOP conference as a government shutdown extended into a third week.

Trump emerged from a hour-plus private meeting with Senate Republicans and told waiting reporters that Republicans are standing behind his refusal to sign government spending bills until the legislation includes billions in border wall funding.

“They are with us all the way,” Trump said. “The Republicans are totally unified.”

Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, told reporters about the meeting, “One senator after another after another expressed unity.”

But Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., said Trump’s message to the GOP was “stick together,” and while not every senator stood up to speak, he said, “I didn’t see anybody object to that.”

A small group of GOP lawmakers want Trump to agree to sign the spending bills now, despite the lack of wall funding.

Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska., who is among them, said she told the president she supports “the need for border security in the country and what we need to do from a humanitarian perspective, but a recognition that when the government is shut down, there are consequences and people are starting to feel those consequences.”

The partial closure has hobbled dozens of government agencies and will leave 800,000 federal employees without paycheckson Friday. In response to her statement, Murkowski said Trump “urged us to remain unified.”

Rubio said senators delivered statements and didn’t ask questions.

Trump did not say he would build the wall using the national emergency powers of the presidency but that it remained an option, Rubio said.

Trump said he plans to first try to win support from Democrats for a wall by not giving in on the federal funding fight.

“The president is not going to blink, he says,” Senate Appropriations Committee Chairman Richard Shelby, R-Ala., said. “And he shouldn’t.”

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/congress/trump-says-gop-united-in-shutdown-fight-urges-them-to-stick-together
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Trump says GOP united in shutdown fight, urges them to 'stick together'
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 08:06:25 pm »
I guess Trump doesn't know about this

Pressure: GOP offers to pay federal employees who work during the shutdown
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,347060.msg1886465.html#msg1886465
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Offline libertybele

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 08:36:04 pm »
If they were so united, Trump wouldn't need to urge them to stick together.  :whistle:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 08:50:39 pm »
Donald J. Trump
Verified accountï‚™ @realDonaldTrump 

Just left a meeting with Chuck and Nancy, a total waste of time. I asked what is going to happen in 30 days if I quickly open things up, are you going to approve Border Security which includes a Wall or Steel Barrier? Nancy said, NO. I said bye-bye, nothing else works!

12:34 PM - 9 Jan 2019

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1083099784012091396?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 08:53:01 pm »
Lisa Desjardins ‏

SCHUMER: The president slammed the table, asked Speaker Pelosi if she would support his wall and when she said no, he walked out and said "we have nothing to talk about".

Offline skeeter

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 08:55:02 pm »

Trump's account sounds plausible. Which means Schumer's account is a lie.

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 09:08:38 pm »

The President's trumping the crap out of Crying Schumer @skeeter

This pleases me.   :laugh:

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 09:11:51 pm »

Absolutely a lie.  I watched Pence, and other Republican leaders defend the President on this.

You cannot negotiate when Pelosi and Schumer flatly refuse to do so.  Why waste time trying.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 09:12:49 pm »
If they were so united, Trump wouldn't need to urge them to stick together.  :whistle:

It doesn't hurt to fire up the troops, now does it?

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 09:13:56 pm »
I guess Trump doesn't know about this

Pressure: GOP offers to pay federal employees who work during the shutdown
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,347060.msg1886465.html#msg1886465

I'm guessing he does, Mystery.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 09:35:20 pm »

You need to watch more war movies @libertybele  :seeya:

How many times have you seen Commanders and Kings exhort the troops before a battle, even when they're sure they have Victory in hand?
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 10:42:19 pm »

Of course Schumckie is lying. Pence said Trump didn't raise his voice or hit the table. What matters is that Schmuckie got out there first with the lie and the press loved it and will promulgate it.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 10:55:54 pm »

House GOP leader Kevin McCarthy said Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer's account of the congressional meeting with President Trump was "totally different than what took place."

McCarthy said Trump wanted to focus on problem-solving — and even brought sweets for the lawmakers.

"When we entered the room, the President, again calling all the leaders together to solve this problem. Even brought a little candy for everybody," McCarthy said.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/government-shutdown-january-2019/h_b86744a3d0d3c5f7528945eb7912c606

Yeah - and he even brought candy.     *****rollingeyes*****
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline bilo

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 12:01:03 am »
A small group of GOP lawmakers want Trump to agree to sign the spending bills now, despite the lack of wall funding.

Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska., who is among them, said she told the president she supports “the need for border security in the country and what we need to do from a humanitarian perspective, but a recognition that when the government is shut down, there are consequences and people are starting to feel those consequences.”

This worries me a lot. Trump is going to declare a national emergency at some point. Once he does that the Congress can nullify it by passing a rebuke with a simple majority. The House voting against Trump is a given. If the Senate Pubs fail to stick together and 4 rino's vote with the Rats then Trump is beaten.

A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2019, 12:20:09 am »
 I said bye-bye, nothing else works!

Hopefully the country will say bye-bye to this....sucker in 2020 ... :shrug:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2019, 01:02:22 am »
bilo wrote:
"This worries me a lot. Trump is going to declare a national emergency at some point. Once he does that the Congress can nullify it by passing a rebuke with a simple majority."

No, I don't believe that is right.

I read elsewhere that the laws pertaining to this require a TWO-THIRDS vote in BOTH houses of Congress to "nullify" the president's declaration.

I'll take those odds, thank you very much!