Author Topic: Pelosi and Schumer rebuttal got higher TV ratings than Trump's border security address  (Read 1862 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Pelosi and Schumer rebuttal got higher TV ratings than Trump's border security address
by Anna Giaritelli
 | January 09, 2019 02:39 PM

The Democratic rebuttal to President Trump's prime-time address Tuesday evening received better ratings than the Republican leader's remarks, which may mark the first time a follow-up has outperformed the main event, according to newly released television ratings.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer's, D-N.Y., follow-up remarks received a 29.3 out of 47. Trump's eight-minute Oval Office address received a 28.1/45, according to metered market results from CNN, Fox News Channel, MSNBC, ABC, NBC, and CBS.

There was widespread mockery of the staging and appearance of the Democratic pair, with some dubbing them "the creepy twins." But the ratings indicate they may enjoy the last laugh.

CNN and MSNBC saw the highest rates of viewers who chose to watch the Pelosi-Schumer rebuttal. Twenty-six percent more CNN viewers watched the response versus the president's address and 15 percent of MSNBC viewers did the same.

Fox viewers watched both remarks at even rates. CBS had the highest number of viewers for Trump's speech: 8.04 million.

Trump's speech reiterated calls for Congress to provide $5.7 billion for enhancing the barrier at the U.S.-Mexico border. One-quarter of the federal government remains shutdown after Trump and lawmakers failed to reach a deal 17 days ago.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/424551-trump-says-emergency-declaration-coming-without-border-deal-with-dems
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Train wrecks and natural disasters usually do get better ratings. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline dfwgator

That's good news. The more exposure the Democrats get, the better Trump looks in comparison.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
I can’t wait to see who they choose to deliver the SOTU response. Last year, Joe Kennedy III was an absolute disaster.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I can’t wait to see who they choose to deliver the SOTU response. Last year, Joe Kennedy III was an absolute disaster.

I hear Nacho Senator O'Rouke is free for that evening.  He looks like a Kennedy. Talks like a Kennedy.  Act's like a Kennedy. Drives like one too.

Offline libertybele

I had forgotten all about him till now ... didn't he have some kind of drooling thingy going on??

My hunch is on Beto as well.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline edpc

I had forgotten all about him till now ... didn't he have some kind of drooling thingy going on??

My hunch is on Beto as well.

He blamed it on excessive chapstick and they also put a Kennedy on TV, with a car in the background. Visual catastrophe all around.

Offline the_doc

Pelosi and Schumer rebuttal got higher TV ratings than Trump's border security address
by Anna Giaritelli
 | January 09, 2019 02:39 PM

CNN and MSNBC saw the highest rates of viewers who chose to watch the Pelosi-Schumer rebuttal. Twenty-six percent more CNN viewers watched the response versus the president's address and 15 percent of MSNBC viewers did the same.

Sounds about right.  Averaging the two failing networks (CNN and MSNBC):  about "twenty percent more" (?) of their (smaller number of) viewers (versus Fox and the airway networks) were not terribly interested in what Trump had to say.  (The calculation is obscure, but it could very well mean that as many as 80 percent of their little audiences did watch Trump's speech.)

Not to worry.  The hardcore Progressive movement is smaller than the Progressives would like for us to notice. 

These data ain't no last laugh for the Progressives.   More likely a last gasp, IMO.

Let's sit tight for Trump's follow-up announcement--with real data and likely also video footage on illegal immigrants' violent crime stats, human trafficking, drug deaths, terrorist apprehensions, voting fraud, and unmanageable poverty importation--that he is going to have the military build our wall in the emergency situation that the Dems and crooked RINOs have created for us.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

That's good news. The more exposure the Democrats get, the better Trump looks in comparison.

Schumer and Pelosi watch a replay of their rebuttal to the President last night:

The look of a man who's confident he's winning   :laugh:

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Donald J. Trump
Verified accountï‚™ @realDonaldTrump 

Just left a meeting with Chuck and Nancy, a total waste of time. I asked what is going to happen in 30 days if I quickly open things up, are you going to approve Border Security which includes a Wall or Steel Barrier? Nancy said, NO. I said bye-bye, nothing else works!

12:34 PM - 9 Jan 2019

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1083099784012091396?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
It's called "rubber-necking".  Same premise here.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline libertybele

The 'Mod Squad'

« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 09:32:22 pm by MOD8 »

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Frank Cannon

Everyone in the world knows what Trumps position on this shit is. No one is sure what the hell the Rats want. That's why people may have been watching them more. Also high rating doesn't mean anyone supports their nonsense. From what I saw of the Rats it was a total shitshow.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Next some more weak Republicans, responding to calls from Ryan Romney and their K-street lobby contacts,, opt to surrender.

Sympathy for highly paid government workers is pushed. Said worers make more thn 1.5 times private sector employees.

Weak Republicans, the faction most popular with media, with democrats, with big business, etc.

Weak Republicans, the faction most despised by Trump and his supporters.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
That small of a margin it may simply be due to when the metrics are calculated. If 10 people watched both, but 2 came in a minute late on Trump's address just from switching channels, it may look like they weren't counted for the first part but as they were already tuned in, they were counted for the second part.

Offline libertybele

Does anyone really hold any stock in what the MSM says that their ratings are?

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Train wrecks and natural disasters usually do get better ratings.

If you believe this ... not sure I do ... it is probably good for us as those two are a clown show.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Frank Cannon

Does anyone really hold any stock in what the MSM says that their ratings are?

Of course not. Look how close the numbers are. Are you telling me they were able to split ratings on something that took 10 minutes total?

Offline libertybele

Of course not. Look how close the numbers are. Are you telling me they were able to split ratings on something that took 10 minutes total?

The reports did get on thing right; they both look like a deer in the headlights.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer's, D-N.Y., follow-up remarks received a 29.3 out of 47. Trump's eight-minute Oval Office address received a 28.1/45, according to metered market results from CNN, Fox News Channel, MSNBC, ABC, NBC, and CBS.
Ratings are irrelevant for public addresses, as advertising is almost never sold during them.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline edpc

Ratings are irrelevant for public addresses, as advertising is almost never sold during them.

Don’t tell Trump. He bragged about his SOTU and inaugural ratings.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
I hear Nacho Senator O'Rouke is free for that evening.  He looks like a Kennedy. Talks like a Kennedy.  Act's like a Kennedy. Drives like one too.

888high58888

Nacho's star seems to have dimmed recently.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline dfwgator

888high58888

Nacho's star seems to have dimmed recently.

When it comes down to it, he's just another white male,   and they are no longer welcome in the Democratic Party.

Online Wingnut

When it comes down to it, he's just another white male,   and they are no longer welcome in the Democratic Party.

But he identifies as a "Hispanic"  Albeit a white Hispanic.  But just the same if you are a rat you can be anything.