Author Topic: White House: Emergency declaration for border wall 'on the table'  (Read 920 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
White House: Emergency declaration for border wall 'on the table'
By Jordan Fabian - 01/09/19 09:36 AM EST

President Trump considers the declaration of a national emergency to circumvent Congress and begin construction on a border wall to be on the table, his top spokesperson said Wednesday.

Though Trump didn't mention the possibility of a declaration during a primetime address to the nation Tuesday night, White House press secretary Sarah Sanders told Fox News that the declaration is “certainly still an option” and “something that’s on the table.”

But she added that the White House still believes the “best solution” to address the issue of border security is congressional action.

“We’re hopeful, again, that they get serious about doing their jobs and work with us to accomplish these things,” Sanders said.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/424501-white-house-emergency-declaration-for-border-wall-on-the-table
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: White House: Emergency declaration for border wall 'on the table'
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 04:16:49 pm »
If he really means it, the best approach would be the following:

Keep the negotiations open and shutdown in effect for a couple more weeks. Sign a CR on the 25th to re-open government, without wall funding. Let the Sunday hosts and guests say Trump blinked. Announce emergency declaration and wall construction on the 29th at the SOTU address.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 05:37:17 pm »

Keep the negotiations open and shutdown in effect for a couple more weeks. Sign a CR on the 25th to re-open government, without wall funding. Let the Sunday hosts and guests say Trump blinked. Announce emergency declaration and wall construction on the 29th at the SOTU address.

Not a bad idea, Ed.  I don't understand the people here who thought his speech was a failure because he didn't rant, rave and declare war.

I think he is laying the groundwork for an 'exhaust all other options' strategy which is wise.  The demcrat duo looked pathetic in their rebuttal last night and I think public opinion is turning against them.  Poll after poll suggests that a majority of Americans want a wall and strict measures to protect us from illegal invasion.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 05:55:36 pm »
What really is the failure of this President is that he didn't prioritize or force this issue on day one.  This is what he campaigned on, got him elected, and what he promised.  He waits till he loses the majority in the House??.  Huge mistake and one that I'm not so sure that he'll recover from.  I question why he waited. He should have sided and utilized the Freedom Caucus instead of playing mambi-pambi to Lyin' Ryan.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline edpc

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 06:07:33 pm »
Not a bad idea, Ed.  I don't understand the people here who thought his speech was a failure because he didn't rant, rave and declare war.

A lot of it is built on expectations. When you have a primetime address from the Oval Office, you’re hoping for something more than a tepid speech. As far as the SOTU scenario goes, I just try to put myself in the other person’s shoes. What better time to declare an emergency than a prime time address, when you’re discussing the state of the nation?

Presidents generally say ‘the state of the union is strong.’ Instead, he should just substitute ‘precarious’ in place of ‘strong,’ then say that’s why he is declaring the emergency - if he’s really serious.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 06:08:24 pm by edpc »

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 06:29:25 pm »
Keep the negotiations open and shutdown in effect for a couple more weeks. Announce emergency declaration and wall construction on the 29th at the SOTU address.
@edpc

I agree he is likely to do that if the impasse is still ongoing at the time of the SOTU address.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 06:36:10 pm »
What really is the failure of this President is that he didn't prioritize or force this issue on day one.  This is what he campaigned on, got him elected, and what he promised.  He waits till he loses the majority in the House??.  Huge mistake and one that I'm not so sure that he'll recover from.  I question why he waited. He should have sided and utilized the Freedom Caucus instead of playing mambi-pambi to Lyin' Ryan.

I am confused by that statement?  How exactly would Trump (or any other President) "utilize" the Freedom Caucus to accomplish any legislative goals in the House?

I am sure that you realize that the House leadership structure and the version of the rules that they adopt (regardless of which party holds the majority and the Speakership) is carefully controlled to ensure that legislation will only come to the House floor for a vote that is approved by the leadership.

The 30 odd members of the House Freedom Caucus were in no position to impact that in any way.  The only bills that would come to the floor for a full House vote were those that Ryan approved and supported in advance.  The most vocal members of the Freedom Caucus did what they could (often) by being out in the media (friendly and otherwise) to give their support to many of Trump's policies.  Though formally organized under House rules as a Congressional Member Organization (CMO) there is no power to move legislation inherent in any House caucus.

Trump had to face reality when he was sworn in, Ryan was the House Speaker and McConnell was Senate Majority Leader.  Those facts weren't going to change.

I suspect that he had to make some "deals" early on to get some of his goals moved forward.  Without knowing all of the details of this deal-making, all that we can do is guess and speculate.

I suspect that he was able to gain their support for three items in the 115th Congress:
1.  Senate confirmation of justices and judges.
2.  Mild version of tax reform (with the emphasis on the corporate side)
3.  Funding to re-build the military (that was left in tatters by the prior administration).

Funding for the wall was clearly not part of these negotiations (which is why we saw it emerge at this juncture, as the 115th congress closed).

Regardless of the campaign rhetoric, every President must deal with the realities of the legislative leadership that is present.

Offline edpc

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 06:46:44 pm »
I agree he is likely to do that if the impasse is still ongoing at the time of the SOTU address.

Unless he’s saving the declaration for after the Mueller report release. Few other things could knock it off the front page.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 06:56:52 pm »

Unless he’s saving the declaration for after the Mueller report release. Few other things could knock it off the front page.

When is the Mueller report supposed to be released??  I thought he was just given a huge extension.  Trump can't wait too much longer to make a national emergency declaration; heading into campaign season for 2020.  Heck, Warren has already declared her intent.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 07:05:44 pm »
@edpc

As he damned well should do!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline the_doc

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 07:07:55 pm »

I think he is laying the groundwork for an 'exhaust all other options' strategy which is wise.  The demcrat duo looked pathetic in their rebuttal last night and I think public opinion is turning against them.  Poll after poll suggests that a majority of Americans want a wall and strict measures to protect us from illegal invasion.

Politics in Washington is way, way, WAY more difficult in the Swampy D of C than even most TBR members realize, I think.  I think Trump did everything just right.  (See my posts #114 and 116 on http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,346922.msg1886288.html#msg1886288)

Offline edpc

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 07:28:56 pm »
When is the Mueller report supposed to be released??  I thought he was just given a huge extension.

Before today, various outlets have been reporting sometime in mid February. That was before news about Rosenstein stepping down, once Barr is confirmed. Rush opined today that Rosenstein leaving indicated Mueller was either safe from dismissal or was wrapping up the probe.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 07:38:06 pm »

Before today, various outlets have been reporting sometime in mid February. That was before news about Rosenstein stepping down, once Barr is confirmed. Rush opined today that Rosenstein leaving indicated Mueller was either safe from dismissal or was wrapping up the probe.

I don't see that Mueller is safe from dismissal at all, rather if he doesn't wrap things up he may very will be heavily scrutinized. 

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 07:41:51 pm »

I get really tired of your negativity.  You continue to attack the one person we can depend on to hold firm about the wall.  Insinuating that Trump waited is just plain ignorance. 
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 07:44:11 pm »

Ryan was elected Speaker by his fellow Republicans. He and he alone, blocked repeal/replace Obamacare, blocked immigration measures, and facilitated blocking generally Trump's plans, for his cheap labor and socialized medicine establishment paymasters.

His mission complete, he heads of to his $even figure per anum, K-Street career.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln