Poll

Trump's Midterm Paper~What's your Grade?

A+
8 (14.8%)
B (Surprising)
20 (37%)
C (Adequate)
7 (13%)
D (Shows some Promise)
6 (11.1%)
F (I'm that pizzed)
10 (18.5%)
We need more Bread and Circuses and free weed for ALL
3 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Voting closed: February 08, 2019, 02:13:04 am

Author Topic: Trump's Midterm Paper~What's your Grade?  (Read 11717 times)

Offline Applewood

Re: Trump's Midterm Paper~What's your Grade?
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2019, 03:06:28 am »
What was your D. U. sign up date?

Must be  a slow news day if Trump supporters are dredging up an old thread solely for the purpose of haranguing those participants who don't agree with them

What I said on January 8 still holds and no amount of accusation and attempts at marginalization will compel me to board the Trump Train.  I will not support or vote for Trump, period.  It is my decision and I will not  back down.  Trump fans have said they don't need the nonbelievers.  So why is it so important to you to try to embarrass me into joining your cult?

By the way, your attempts aren't working.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2019, 08:37:50 am »
I don't see HRC running, let alone walking, in 2020.

I don't see the MIC giving a carp about Trump serving four more years.  I've been pleasantly surprised by his talking about getting us out of some of our sinkholes, but even if he pulls through, they don't care.  He'll be gone in a few years, they're in for life.  (If you haven't read it, check out Rumsfeld's autobiography, serving as the youngest/oldest SECDEF with like 24 years in between, he's got a unique perspective on the MIC).

I don't see a serious Republican challenge to Trump in 2020.  Anyone who could beat him will keep their powder dry for 2024.

The economy is not strong.  The economy is, after a decade of artificial stimulus, finally recovering to a little under long term average growth.  It may feel like a boom, in context, but it's not.

The Fed is doing what it has "always" done (I quote "always" because we got into some uncharted territory, but they're still following their usual script).  They didn't start cutting because 0 was elected or start raising because trump was elected.  They are making the same mistakes they always have, based on their understanding of the underlying economy.

And really, when the smoke clears, the impact of the Fed that throws us into the next major recession will not be a few 1/4 point increases, it will be the drawdown of the balance sheet.  Finally.
Watch Romney....Not saying it will get any strong support, but there is a smell there.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DB

« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2019, 08:57:14 am »
Must be  a slow news day if Trump supporters are dredging up an old thread solely for the purpose of haranguing those participants who don't agree with them

What I said on January 8 still holds and no amount of accusation and attempts at marginalization will compel me to board the Trump Train.  I will not support or vote for Trump, period.  It is my decision and I will not  back down.  Trump fans have said they don't need the nonbelievers.  So why is it so important to you to try to embarrass me into joining your cult?

By the way, your attempts aren't working.

Hey now, never say never. It could happen. If he were to clean out the FBI and DOJ along with Hillary landing in prison, I'd vote for who did that and I think you might too.

The chance of that happening at this point is pretty close to zero - but it could happen.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2019, 01:42:25 pm »
I don't see a serious Republican challenge to Trump in 2020.  Anyone who could beat him will keep their powder dry for 2024.

I agree, which is why it is important that Trump decide for himself to not run again.   If he does, it will attract an independent candidacy that will doom his chances at re-election,  such as they are.

I'm not alone in believing Trump will decide not to run.   He's a non-politician,  with extensive interests in businesses that he needs to gets back to in order to make sure they can successfully transition to the next generation.   He will be one of the oldest Presidents in history.   And (at least as things now stand)  he can claim real victories and real credit in changing the priorities of the GOP.    I believe he will plausibly claim that his work is done.   

The biggest threat to this (IMO) rosy scenario is the Democrats,  who've run against Trump to the exclusion of little else for two years now.    The last thing they want is for Trump to voluntarily step down in favor of new blood.   They are counting on Trump as the nominee,  and they know that to push his buttons to goad him to fight yields the very best outcome for them. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Applewood

« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2019, 01:48:38 pm »
Hey now, never say never. It could happen. If he were to clean out the FBI and DOJ along with Hillary landing in prison, I'd vote for who did that and I think you might too.

The chance of that happening at this point is pretty close to zero - but it could happen.

None of the above will ever happen.  If I remember right, Trump, following his election, said something to the effect that Hillary has suffered enough and he would not pursue an action against her.  As to the rest, Trump has his own problems with the Mueller investigation and the other proceedings against him and his 2016 campaign,  He's not about to stir the pot with any actions of his own.  They would be seen as attempts to obstruct justice in the current proceedings against him. 

The other thing is Trump says a lot of things he doesn't mean.  I keep hearing from Trump supporters that he is not a seasoned politician.  But he is -- in the sense that he lies.  He makes promises and claims that aren't true.  Look at all the promises he made during his 2016 campaign.  Bottom line is he has not kept most of them.  He and the Republican controlled congress screwed around for 2 years while they were in charge.  Now that Republicans lost the House, they are suddenly interested in fulfilling their promise on illegal immigration.  Too little and too late. 

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2019, 05:21:58 pm »
Holman Jenkins, Jr., writing in the WSJ:

Unfortunately, it will . . . occur to Mr. Trump now that his best move is to cling to the White House at all costs.  That's because under Justice Department guidelines he can expect not to be indicted as long as he remains in office.  I wonder if his Torquemadas have taken this into account. 

Of course they have.   Other than his base,  there is no one more vested in Trump running for re-election than the radicalized Democrats who expect to use 2020 to eliminate the private health insurance and oil industries,  kill economic growth and otherwise transform this nation into disaffected tribes of grievance mongers.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide