Author Topic: RNC won't take further steps to protect Trump from primary challenge  (Read 1271 times)

Online corbe

RNC won't take further steps to protect Trump from primary challenge

by David M. Drucker

January 08, 2019 12:00 AM

The Republican Party is backing away from further changing its rules to prevent a 2020 primary challenge to President Trump, content that existing bylaws and the president's overwhelming grassroots support are sufficient to stiff-arm any GOP opponents that might emerge.

Nevertheless, the party’s governing body, the Republican National Committee, could issue a resolution reaffirming support for Trump’s renomination when it convenes later this month for an annual winter business meeting. And it might rebuke Sen. Mitt Romney, R-Utah, whose scathing condemnation of the president in a New Year’s Day op-ed triggered a fresh internal debate about how the GOP nomination is administered.

Even a long-shot primary challenger could be a nuisance, gaming party rules to disrupt plans for a carefully choreographed nominating convention in Charlotte in August of next year. Some grassroots Trump supporters are worried and demanding action. But neither the RNC, which would have to take extraordinary measures to change its rules, nor the Trump campaign, which hasn’t publicly complained, appears too concerned.

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/campaigns/rnc-wont-take-further-steps-to-protect-trump-from-primary-challenge
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: RNC won't take further steps to protect Trump from primary challenge
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 06:40:34 pm »
No rule changes.   Trump is not the anointed one.  Let the GOP rank and file decide whether to support an opponent to the President's re-nomination.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 06:46:13 pm »
There'll be no significant challenge, just politicians looking to make a nuisance of themselves, like Kasich.

Hopefully Trump will have by now learned how to navigate the primaries without alienating his natural supporters in the general.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 07:50:27 pm »
The Republican Party is not supporting Trump?

Well/SSSSSSSSS, . . . . now Here's a first.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 07:51:29 pm »
The Republican Party is not supporting Trump?

Well/SSSSSSSSS, . . . . now Here's a first.

Where do you get that from the story?

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 07:56:18 pm »
There'll be no significant challenge, just politicians looking to make a nuisance of themselves, like Kasich.
I'd be skeptical even if Kasich did it. If history's any indication, he'll probably only draw a fringe nobody or, at "best," a back-bench former Congressman.

Trump's courtship of fringe nobodies should cut that angle off, too.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 07:59:30 pm »
There's always Mittens.  And I hear the Flake is looking for work.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 08:11:18 pm »
Nor should they.

Besides, I'd like to see Dirty Mitts and Mailman get humiliated.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 08:12:38 pm »
I'd be skeptical even if Kasich did it. If history's any indication, he'll probably only draw a fringe nobody or, at "best," a back-bench former Congressman.

Trump's courtship of fringe nobodies should cut that angle off, too.

If Kasich runs,  it will be as an independent targeting centrist voters.   Such a candidacy depends on (i) the Republicans re-nominating Trump and (ii) the Dems nominating an extremist progressive.   If it is Trump vs. Biden, for example, Kasich won't run.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 08:22:11 pm »
No rule changes.   Trump is not the anointed one.  Let the GOP rank and file decide whether to support an opponent to the President's re-nomination.

Trump IS the anointed one and that will become clear during the nomination process.

Your pipe dream of a perfect refined and cultured dude who would also have the drive and courage to advance the policies Trump has advanced is just that.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 08:53:21 pm »
There's always Mittens.  And I hear the Flake is looking for work.

MitMcCain Back, and reporting for duty in 2020. If you liked John McCain your are gonna love this guy twice as much.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 08:54:06 pm »
Where do you get that from the story?

Oh Come ON!

Who the hell had the House and the purse strings for the last 2 years to get Trump his lousy Border Wall $5 Billion?

My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2019, 09:08:05 pm »

Clowns come along, in forms like John Anderson, R-Il who challenged Reagan.

By the end, this Anderson guy supported Ralph Nader, joining other clowns to follow.

2016 witnessed the 16 Dwarfs.

It would be fitting, for other Republicans to oppose Trump, since Republicans today are the most stupid, ineffective, deranged bunch I have witness in my lifetime.

One proof of their stupidity, is blocking/failing to enact conservative measures, solely because it came under Trump.

I would advise Trump NOW to run in 2020 as an Independent. Criticize democrats, and laugh at the lousy performance on the GOP when they held the majority and the power to YET FAILED to enact Obamacare Repeal/replace and FAILED to enact stronger borders and illegal immigration control.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 09:16:02 pm »
Oh Come ON!

Who the hell had the House and the purse strings for the last 2 years to get Trump his lousy Border Wall $5 Billion?

Answer the question.