Author Topic: Here’s What Would Happen If Trump Declared A National Emergency To Build The Wall  (Read 4218 times)

Offline bilo

No .. a dictator is unrestrained by law.

Read this article by Jonathan Turley … you'll find it illuminating. "Yes, Trump has the authority to declare national emergency for border wall"

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,346896.0.html

FWIW; " Presidents have continued to use their emergency authority subject to the provisions of the act, with 42 national emergencies declared between 1976 and 2007. "

IOW, this is not something new, or a radical power grab by Trump. In fact it may be the best solution.

Build the wall!
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Online kevindavis007

This is an incredibly bad idea....

So what's to keep the next Dim president from calling an national emergency after a mass shooting and going after our guns... :shrug:

As usual talk but no thought...

or a national emeregency on Climate Change??
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Online kevindavis007

Except any way you cut it, the House majority was much larger and Lyin' Ryan didn't do him any favors.  However, Trump bucked the Freedom Caucus in the beginning which was a huge mistake.  Yes right now, he's in a pickle because now he's lost the House majority because HE waited!  He could have very easily, shut down the gov't long ago and declared a National Emergency.  Certainly Nancy wouldn't have been asking for equal time.

You can blame Ryan all you want, but Trump waited.  In all seriousness, I prefer the going through Congress route, since I happen to believe in Federalism.  Unlike some people here.

Offline musiclady

I think that's grandstanding hyperbole.

Thinking logically about possible outcomes is "grandstanding hyperbole??"

That's a bizarre thing to say.

Can't you just discuss the issue??

Excessive executive power in the wrong hands (assuming, as you do, that Trump's power is in the right hands), is dangerous for the Republic.

If one is cheering on executive power moves by "our guy," then one has to consider what that power would be in the wrong hands (assuming that you believe what the left might do is a potential problem).

What exactly did I say that is either hyperbolic or grandstanding?  It's just logical thought progression as we face an evil Democrat party.

What am I (or are you) missing, @Free Vulcan ?
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Thinking logically about possible outcomes is "grandstanding hyperbole??"

That's a bizarre thing to say.

Can't you just discuss the issue??

Excessive executive power in the wrong hands (assuming, as you do, that Trump's power is in the right hands), is dangerous for the Republic.

If one is cheering on executive power moves by "our guy," then one has to consider what that power would be in the wrong hands (assuming that you believe what the left might do is a potential problem).

What exactly did I say that is either hyperbolic or grandstanding?  It's just logical thought progression as we face an evil Democrat party.

What am I (or are you) missing, @Free Vulcan ?

FDR took radical steps in WWII, including putting people in internment camps. What you fear that may be done has already been done, the slippery slope has already been slid down.

Which means any liberal President could have done the same at any time, for any reason. I'm not sure what precedent is being set here.

What's happening here is less intrusive than your average disaster declaration.
The Republic is lost.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
??? The GOP has held the majority in BOTH Houses for the past 4 years!  While I support what Trump is doing I question why he's waited so dang long to now do something.

You forgot or ignored the 60 Senate votes needed to advance legislation.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online corbe

The Art of the Deal couldn't get 2 bi1ches (Collins, Murkowski) and that azzhole, McCain together for obummercare LITE in 2017, after a protracted CF of a battle. I'm not optimistic on his current Immigration push but it just may be my TDS, I'll admit.

PS: that only required 51 Senate votes.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 01:50:36 am by corbe »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online kevindavis007

FDR took radical steps in WWII, including putting people in internment camps. What you fear that may be done has already been done, the slippery slope has already been slid down.

Which means any liberal President could have done the same at any time, for any reason. I'm not sure what precedent is being set here.

What's happening here is less intrusive than your average disaster declaration.

Two wrongs don't make it a right.

Online kevindavis007

FWIW; " Presidents have continued to use their emergency authority subject to the provisions of the act, with 42 national emergencies declared between 1976 and 2007. "

IOW, this is not something new, or a radical power grab by Trump. In fact it may be the best solution.

Build the wall!

Fine, then he should go through Congress.. Something that is written in the CONSTITUTION!!!!

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

Two wrongs don't make it a right.

Except the President has every authority to do this and it violates no constitutionality.
The Republic is lost.