Author Topic: Ocasio-Cortez floats 70 percent tax on the super wealthy to fund Green New Deal  (Read 1069 times)

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) is floating an income tax rate as high as 60 to 70 percent on the highest-earning Americans to combat carbon emissions.

Speaking with Anderson Cooper in a “60 Minutes” interview scheduled to air Sunday, Ocasio-Cortez said a dramatic increase in taxes could support her “Green New Deal” goal of eliminating the use of fossil fuels within 12 years — a goal she acknowledges is ambitious.

“What is the problem with trying to push our technological capacities to the furthest extent possible?” Ocasio-Cortez asked. “There’s an element where yeah, people are going to have to start paying their fair share in taxes.”

Ocasio-Cortez pointed out that in a progressive tax rate system, not all income for a high earner is taxed at such a high rate. Rather, rates increase on each additional level of income, with dramatic increases on especially high earnings, such as $10 million.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/04/ocasio-cortez-70-percent-tax-1080874
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Frank Cannon

You go girl. Soak it to your Silicon Valley and Hollywood friends.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
If she took 100% and your first born child to sell on the black market, there isn't enough money to pay for her proposals. She should stick to bartending and dancing.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Thank you loonbags, keep getting your name in the media by proposing these crackpot bills that will go nowhere, so we can use them in future campaign commercials.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Thank you loonbags, keep getting your name in the media by proposing these crackpot bills that will go nowhere, so we can use them in future campaign commercials.

:amen:  888high58888
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
She must realize that most of the people who make that kind of income already know how to use trusts and foundations to avoid it... right?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline rustynail

What about the super-duper wealthy?  And do the really-really wealthy get a pass?

Offline GrouchoTex

She must realize that most of the people who make that kind of income already know how to use trusts and foundations to avoid it... right?

And for those that don't and catch on, it might work...once...and once only.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!

I'm not sure she has the intellectual capacity to understand the ABCs.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I'm not sure she has the intellectual capacity to understand the ABCs.
:beer:
Understand them?  That bug-eyed skwerl looking fool can barely recite the abc's if you spot her the 1st 25 letters.  Hell she can't even count to 10 with out taking her shoes and socks off..

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
"Tippy Top earners" = middle-class
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
:beer:
Understand them?  That bug-eyed skwerl looking fool can barely recite the abc's if you spot her the 1st 25 letters.  Hell she can't even count to 10 with out taking her shoes and socks off..

Now that's a lie!  She can too say her ABC's.  As long as she can remember the tune, "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I wonder if she will include her own family in that 'rich' group. She's a little rich girl herself from a wealthy family. Will all the multimillionaires in Congress be included?
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Wingnut

Now that's a lie!  She can too say her ABC's.  As long as she can remember the tune, "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star."

Well...the counting to ten part is true!    :cool:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Well...the counting to ten part is true!    :cool:

888high58888
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Soros and Steve Jobs will have her whacked.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!