Author Topic: Trump Instructs Pentagon to Curb Watchdogs' Access to Secret Military Reports  (Read 207 times)

rangerrebew

Trump Instructs Pentagon to Curb Watchdogs' Access to Secret Military Reports

By Charles S. Clark
    January 3, 2019

President Trump, in a nationally televised Cabinet meeting on Wednesday, instructed acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan to withhold classified battlefield reports from inspectors general, a move that brought objections from transparency advocates.

“I can tell you [a] story when I got here about our military that I don't even want to talk about,” Trump said. “We do these reports on our military. Some IG goes over there, and he goes over there and they do a report on every single thing. We're fighting wars and they're doing [a] report and releasing it to the public. The public means the enemy. Those reports should be private reports.”

The president continued: “Let them do a report, but they should be private reports and be locked up ... [Giving the reports] out to the enemy is insane. And I don't want it to happen anymore, Mr. Secretary. You understand that?”

https://www.govexec.com/oversight/2019/01/trump-instructs-pentagon-curb-watchdogs-access-secret-military-reports/153912/

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I have no idea if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I have no idea if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

Me either.
The Republic is lost.