Author Topic: News Mexican archaeologists have discovered first temple of ‘The Flayed Lord’, a god depicted as a s  (Read 914 times)

rangerrebew

News Mexican archaeologists have discovered first temple of ‘The Flayed Lord’, a god depicted as a skinned human corpse

Experts discovered the temple of Xipe Totec during recent excavations of Popoloca Indian ruins One of the skull-like carvings and a stone torso that was discovered (Twitter/National Institute of Anthropology and History) One of the skull-like carvings and a stone torso that was discovered (Twitter/National Institute of Anthropology and History)

Georgina Littlejohn

January 3rd 2019 The i newsletter News for free thinkers

The first temple of a pre-Hispanic god depicted as a skinned human corpse has been found in Mexico, authorities have announced. The country’s National Institute of Anthropology and History said experts discovered the temple of Xipe Totec – which means “Our Lord the Flayed One” – during recent excavations of Popoloca Indian ruins in the central state of Puebla. Two skull-like carvings and a stone torso depicting the god was found inside dressed in a skirt of feathers with an extra hand dangling off one arm which suggested the god was wearing the skin of a sacrificial victim.

Temple discovery Archeologists said the torso sculpture was found in a grotto filled with red pigment suggesting it had been ritually killed. The altars and sculptures have been moved to the Museum of Sitio de Tehuacan and excavations are continuing. The ruins of the temple (Twitter/National Institute of Anthropology and History) The ruins of the temple (Twitter/National Institute of Anthropology and History) Xipe Totec was the Mesoamerican god of spring and new vegetation and the patron of goldsmiths and was revered by the Aztecs and their predecessors the Toltecs. He wore the skin of a human sacrifice as a symbol of new vegetation, a new skin that covered the Earth in the springtime. His statues and stone masks show him wearing a freshly flayed skin.

Human sacrifice The temple was built by the Popolocas between A.D. 1000 and 1260 and were later conquered by the Aztecs. Ancient accounts of the rituals suggested victims were killed in brutal combat or by arrows on one altar, before being skinned on another. Depictions of the god had been found before in other cultures, including the Aztecs, but not a whole temple even though Xipe Totec is considered to be one of his era’s most important religious figures.

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/news/mexico-archaeologists-discover-temple-the-flayed-lord/

Offline skeeter

I don't know that I'd characterize what they found as a 'flayed lord' but those Aztecs were some scary primatives. I'm surprised there haven't been more horror themed movies based on what they had going on down there.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I don't know that I'd characterize what they found as a 'flayed lord' but those Aztecs were some scary primatives. I'm surprised there haven't been more horror themed movies based on what they had going on down there.
That's true. And some sacrifice and cannibalism happened in North America as well. The Aztecs sacrificed hundreds of thousands of captured slaves for their God. Apparently, they thought that 'God' needed blood for the sun to rise in the morning.

Obviously this is in conflict with the Liberal portrayal of Native North and South Americans as being pot smoking stoner vegans who were 'Oh so in touch with the majesty of Earth'. This is a fantasy created by hippies in the 60s.

Native Americans routinely fought wars with each other, slaughtered each other, took captives and slaves, and killed wildlife indiscriminately sometime to the point of extinction. While there may have been some 'peaceful' Native American tribes, this was not the norm. Most of them were bad-ass dudes who were always ready to kill anyone for any reason.

You wouldn't last very long being 'peaceful' in those days. You would either be a slave, a sacrifice, or just generally dead so they could take whatever resources you have. There was no 'law'. There was no calling the Police. 'Defend yourself, your family, and your stuff, or die' was the prevailing rule of the land. Again, this is far from the depiction of Native Americans as peaceful Green Party Eco-warriors that is portrayed in common culture today in America.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 03:54:27 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.