Author Topic: Ocasio-Cortez slams ‘bad economics’ of budget deficit rule pushed by Democratic leaders  (Read 1358 times)

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
House Democrats are clashing over rules for the new Congress before it even opens, with three members slamming a budget provision they say will hamper their plans for health care and other priorities.

The House’s rules package for the Congress that convenes Thursday contains what’s known as a pay-as-you-go provision, which would require new spending to be offset with either tax increases or budget cuts.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/budget-rules-sow-discord-among-democrats-as-new-congress-set-to-open-2019-01-02

AOC has spoken- "Pay as you Go" is bad economics.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 10:23:03 pm by austingirl »
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline mountaineer

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez already has plans to defy Pelosi
By Nikki Schwab
January 2, 2019 | 2:25pm
New York Post
WASHINGTON – Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is going to defy Nancy Pelosi as soon as she is sworn in as House speaker.

Ocasio-Cortez plans to vote against the Democrats’ rules package because it includes a “pay-go” provision that she says will hinder getting progressive legislation passed.

The rule would require that all new spending be paid for – either by increasing taxes or by budget cuts.

“PAYGO isn’t only bad economics, as Rep. Ro Khanna (D-Calif.) explains; it’s also a dark political maneuver designed to hamstring progress on healthcare+other leg,” Ocasio-Cortez tweeted. “We shouldn’t hinder ourselves from the start.” ...
Full story

:2popcorn:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
The rule would require that all new spending be paid for – either by increasing taxes or by budget cuts.

“PAYGO isn’t only bad economics, as Rep. Ro Khanna (D-Calif.) explains; it’s also a dark political maneuver designed to hamstring progress on healthcare+other leg,” Ocasio-Cortez tweeted. “We shouldn’t hinder ourselves from the start.”

*****rollingeyes*****

Offline Frank Cannon

*****rollingeyes*****

Listen here lady. Occasional-Coffeetable has an economics degree from BU. She knows what she is talking about.

Online andy58-in-nh

Well, Ms. Occasionally-Coherent and her fellow travelers appear to believe that government spending is the source of all economic progress, and such progress can only be made by taking money from the undeserving rich who are simply hoarding it.

Welcome to Cuba, and Venezuela. But not for them, of course. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online andy58-in-nh

Listen here lady. Occasional-Coffeetable has an economics degree from BU. She knows what she is talking about.

What's the difference between an economics degree and a pile of horse manure?

One can be used to grow things. The other is a piece of crap.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Say what you will, but ole Bug-Eyes is going places. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Say what you will, but ole Bug-Eyes is going places.
I just hope she doesn't drag the rest of us along with her.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Frank Cannon

Sir. Occasional-Constipation is a national treasure.....and provides her own horse manure. Just look at her....

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author

:laughingdog:

Since google redid gmail it now comes with promotions.

Laugh myself silly every time one lands in my box asking me to PAY for Paul Krugman's course in economics.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

• Wulf Anson Author
What I would really enjoy seeing is Occasional Cortex getting shown where her litter box, and catnip crumbs, are by Pelosi.

I do believe she's dumb enough to think Drool Cup Nan is gonna just roll over and get out of the way for her.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Well, Ms. Occasionally-Coherent and her fellow travelers appear to believe that government spending is the source of all economic progress, and such progress can only be made by taking money from the undeserving rich who are simply hoarding it.

Welcome to Cuba, and Venezuela. But not for them, of course.
Unfortunately, the "rich" include anyone making fifty cents over poverty level....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

• Wulf Anson Author
Unfortunately, the "rich" include anyone making fifty cents over poverty level....

Isn't it Amazing that the suckers who vote these scum in Never figure it out, that Tax the Rich always means anyone with 2 pennies to rub together?

No matter How many times they get burned, those gimmee gimmee voters just keep sticking the fingers right back into that same pot of boiling water.

No matter how many times they get the bill, they keep believing that it was the evil Capitalists who perverted and Subverted the truly compassionate plan to redistribute everyone's 'Fair Share'.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Isn't it Amazing that the suckers who vote these scum in Never figure it out, that Tax the Rich always means anyone with 2 pennies to rub together?

No matter How many times they get burned, those gimmee gimmee voters just keep sticking the fingers right back into that same pot of boiling water.

No matter how many times they get the bill, they keep believing that it was the evil Capitalists who perverted and Subverted the truly compassionate plan to redistribute everyone's 'Fair Share'.
All the while their would-be masters use loopholes and foundations and trusts to hide their assets and live like kings...
There's one born every minute....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis