Author Topic: Canada is producing more oil than it can handle  (Read 1078 times)

Offline thackney

Canada is producing more oil than it can handle
« on: January 02, 2019, 05:32:04 pm »
Canada is producing more oil than it can handle
https://www.rt.com/business/447928-canada-oil-production-volume/

Western Canada is producing 365,000 bpd more crude oil that current pipeline capacity can handle, a new report from the National Energy Board has revealed.

According to the authority, as of September, Western Canada produced a daily average of 4.30 million barrels of crude, while pipeline capacity stood at 3.95 million barrels per day.

Alberta, the largest oil producer in Canada, has turned to oil trains to offset the pipeline capacity shortage, and in November Premier Rachel Notley announced that the province will buy an additional 120,000 bpd in oil train capacity, to begin operating this year. It will reach full capacity in 2020....

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Western Canadian Crude Oil Supply, Markets, and Pipeline Capacity
https://www.neb-one.gc.ca/nrg/sttstc/crdlndptrlmprdct/rprt/2018wstrncndncrd/index-eng.html

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Canada is producing more oil than it can handle
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 02:02:07 am »
During my career in the oil industry, I always considered this is the type of problem to have - tanks not big enough to handle oil produced, or in this case, pipelines.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 07:15:24 am »
During my career in the oil industry, I always considered this is the type of problem to have - tanks not big enough to handle oil produced, or in this case, pipelines.
It is, until the discounts hit. Bakken oil had a $30/bbl discount, even though it was every bit as good as WTI (42 API, low sulfur), at least until the train depots were built and the DAPL went through.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 08:01:43 pm »
It is, until the discounts hit. Bakken oil had a $30/bbl discount, even though it was every bit as good as WTI (42 API, low sulfur), at least until the train depots were built and the DAPL went through.

Exactly.  Nobody wants to sell at below market prices, because you cannot get to the market.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 01:52:52 am »
Exactly.  Nobody wants to sell at below market prices, because you cannot get to the market.
Exactly.  That is how a midstream company is encouraged to actually build a pipeline, as there is a margin spread there and money to be made within it.

I could turn what you said around and say no midstream company wants to transport crude if its income was below costs either.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 08:33:23 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington