Author Topic: FDA Warns on Aortic Aneurysms With Fluoroquinolones  (Read 838 times)

Offline Applewood

FDA Warns on Aortic Aneurysms With Fluoroquinolones
« on: January 02, 2019, 02:27:21 pm »

FDA Warns on Aortic Aneurysms With Fluoroquinolones

WASHINGTON -- Manufacturers of fluoroquinolones such as ciprofloxacin (Cipro) must now warn about risk of aortic dissection or aneurysm in certain patients associated with systemic use of these antibiotics, the FDA said Thursday.

It's the latest in a series of warnings related to this class of antibiotics. In July, the FDA required manufacturers to update labeling to warn about mental health issues and potential low blood sugar adverse reactions; and before that, the agency had warned about adverse musculoskeletal effects and peripheral neuropathy. The FDA had also indicated that this class of agents should not be used for uncomplicated infections owing the risk of adverse effects.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/publichealthpolicy/fdageneral/77060

Offline Applewood

Re: FDA Warns on Aortic Aneurysms With Fluoroquinolones
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 02:29:29 pm »
Fluoroquinolones drugs include:

ciprofloxacin (Cipro)
levofloxacin (Levaquin/Quixin)
gatifloxacin (Tequin)
moxifloxacin (Avelox)
ofloxacin (Ocuflox/Floxin/Floxacin)
norfloxacin (Noroxin)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: FDA Warns on Aortic Aneurysms With Fluoroquinolones
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 02:34:53 pm »
I have some Cipro, but have always reserved it for things nothing else would get. The 'tendon bursts' complication has been a deterrent, but it appear that a side effect of these drugs is the weakening of connective tissues in general. If it comes down to life or death and there is no alternative, I'l use it, but only then.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis