Author Topic: BASEBALL 2019---LET'S DO IT!  (Read 46489 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: BASEBALL 2019---LET'S DO IT!
« Reply #350 on: August 07, 2019, 05:21:44 pm »
Probably because you usually hear about the high speeds on fastballs, of course. The average major league curve ball hits 77 mph these days; Clayton Kershaw's curve ball was (and still is) known to hit 80+ at its best. The speed doesn't hurt the pitch, of course, but the curve ball's break is what makes or breaks it, still. And a good slow curve can still fool a hitter the way a good last-minute-breaking changeup does.

It's the number of rotations per second that affects the break, isn't it?    :shrug:

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #351 on: August 07, 2019, 05:53:15 pm »
Probably because you usually hear about the high speeds on fastballs, of course. The average major league curve ball hits 77 mph these days; Clayton Kershaw's curve ball was (and still is) known to hit 80+ at its best. The speed doesn't hurt the pitch, of course, but the curve ball's break is what makes or breaks it, still. And a good slow curve can still fool a hitter the way a good last-minute-breaking changeup does.

As I have said here previously, the world is full of guys who thought they could make it in the bigs by throwing heat. 
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #352 on: August 07, 2019, 06:21:08 pm »
As I have said here previously, the world is full of guys who thought they could make it in the bigs by throwing heat.
Some can and do make it by throwing heat. But when you have scouts, minor league skippers and coaches, and major league skippers, coaches, and brain trusts seeing that heat and going ooooh and aaaaaah over it nigh unto death, too many of those alleged brains decide they need nothing more than more of that and forget that guys can make it in the bigs without throwing heat.

Even though I notice today that a lot more pitchers are living with their non-heat stuff very nicely, I still tremble to think that if Whitey Ford (for one) was a prospect today nobody would know who he is and nobody would care. Or, one look at Juan Marichal and too many of today's alleged brains would think, We gotta get this kid to trim down to one windup and one leg kick and one delivery, he's gonna kill himself or get killed with those fifteen windups and seven leg kicks! (And didn't the geniuses of the 1986 Mets think it was a great idea to tell Dwight Gooden he didn't have enough despite owning the game for two years? How'd that end up working out for them when it turned Gooden into a half shot confidence mess?)

Which is why I admire how the Astros work with pitchers. You come to the Astros and the first thing you're going to discover is that they've done their homework on you and they've figured out what your previous team(s) didn't have the foresight or the brains to figure out---that you weren't really maximising your repertoire, you weren't working your absolute best pitch more often (and if your best pitch wasn't a supersonic fastball so be it), and you were killing yourself because of it. You're going to be shown film, video, heat charts, strike zone spray charts, everything the Astros could possibly think of to show you that you've got what it takes but you didn't really get shown how to use it the right way. If you're a young'un like, say, Ryan Pressly was when he came to Houston, you're going to learn early and often. If you're a veteran like Justin Verlander, you're going to see keys to prolonging your career and remaining excellent. If you're Gerrit Cole, you're going to have your jaw dropped wondering just what the hell the Pirates weren't doing smart with you while the Astros had their eyes on you for longer than you realised.

There's a terrific new book that breaks down how the Astros are able to fix or remake/remodel pitchers: Ben Lindbergh and Travis Sawchuk's The MVP Machine: How Baseball's New Nonconformists Are Using Data to Build Better Players. Think of their analysis and the Astros' ways as the contemporary progression from how teams Branch Rickey ran dominated their leagues at their best, from the 1920s/1930s Cardinals to the 1947-56 Dodgers (never mind that Rickey was maneuvered out of Brooklyn after the 1950 season, the Boys of Summer were, essentially, Rickey teams)---long before anyone else thought of it, Rickey saw and implemented ways of developing professional ballplayers that were well ahead of his times and drove the purists of those times to the rye bottle. In certain ways, today's Astros can be called, fairly, Branch Rickey's great-grandchildren.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 06:22:59 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #353 on: August 07, 2019, 09:00:22 pm »
@EasyAce

They don't call Astros pitching coach Bret Strom The pitch whisperer for nothing.

Heck, he may be as old as Branch Rickey, were he still among us.

This is one of the reasons I was excited about getting Aaron Sanchez.
He wasn't doing so well in Toronto, but he had lots of potential, is still young, and was once (2015?) a Cy Young candidate.
While they are different pitchers to be sure, this was similar to the Gerrit Cole situation, in my view.
A highly touted prospect, has a good year or two, goes down hill a bit, then comes to the Astros, and, Viola!

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #354 on: August 07, 2019, 09:37:47 pm »
@EasyAce

They don't call Astros pitching coach Bret Strom The pitch whisperer for nothing.

My term for Strom  at my board is the Wizard of Hurl.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #355 on: August 08, 2019, 10:04:21 pm »
I have many great memories (mostly all before the expansion) about baseball. Some as a player and many more outside of my own involvement.  Got to watch the final game of that 1960 Series on live TB in the Jr. High gym.  Not going to try and name all of them because I would surely miss a few. 

Loved the Yog, Micky, Warren Spann, Pete Rose, Johnny Bench, and many others.

Still love the game but not fond of many of the changes that have been made in recent years.

@Bigun

What are the those changes and why do they make the game less enjoyable for you?

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #356 on: August 08, 2019, 10:30:29 pm »
My NATS are off tonight, but looking forward to the Phillies vs Giants (Nola vs. Bumgarner) tonight at 9:45pm eastern.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #357 on: August 08, 2019, 11:11:18 pm »
@Bigun

What are the those changes and why do they make the game less enjoyable for you?

There are many @AllThatJazzZ  but taking the selection of all stars away from the players and giving it to the fans is high on the list along with lowered pitcher's mounds and juiced baseballs.

Edit to add: These endless interruptions for the reviewing of plays really gets on my last nerve as well.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 02:32:56 am by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #358 on: August 08, 2019, 11:54:10 pm »

There are many @AllThatJazzZ  but taking the selection of all stars away from the players and giving it to the fans is high on the list along with lowered pitcher's mounds and juiced baseballs.

I dislike the organ music...the video screen telling me to 'YELL!!".

And I REALLY hate the artificial piped-in crowd noise on nightly MASN telecasts.   

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #359 on: August 09, 2019, 12:14:42 am »
I dislike the organ music...the video screen telling me to 'YELL!!".

And I REALLY hate the artificial piped-in crowd noise on nightly MASN telecasts.

There's plenty of things to go around for sure.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #360 on: August 09, 2019, 12:19:22 am »
I dislike the organ music...
@DCPatriot
Depends on the organ music.

But then today's ballpark organists haven't got half the wit of such legends as Gladys Gooding, the organist in Ebbets Field who, among other things, would play "Three Blind Mice" whenever close umpire calls went against the Brooklyn Dodgers. (She was actually baseball's first full-time organist.) She was also known, I think, for playing "Happy Trails" whenever the Dodgers knocked an opposing pitcher out of the box.

Or, Jane Jarvis, when she had the job in Shea Stadium from the park's opening through 1980. Among other things, Jarvis even had ways of trying to help settle the hash whenever the Mets got into a fight on the field: she'd play Charlie Parker's "Scrapple from the Apple." That wasn't just Jarvis being puckish---she was actually an accomplished jazz pianist:

Jane Jarvis, "Satin Doll"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Jane Jarvis, "Love for Sale"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Jane Jarvis, "Cut Glass"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Jarvis also worked the entire day and night when the Mets and the Giants played a doubleheader that included the 24-inning second game marathon. When it all ended, Jarvis couldn't resist serenading what was left of the crowd departing with "Gee, How I Hate to Get Up in the Morning."

Back when I was a kid going to games at Shea Stadium, this photograph of Jarvis appeared in the Mets' 1965 yearbook, part of an ad for Thomas organs. (Jarvis preferred the Thomas instrument over Hammond, intriguingly.) The day I got my copy, I happened to meet her leaving the ballpark and recognised her from the ad. The lady was actually kind enough to autograph the photo for me: "To Jeff---Thank you! Jane Jarvis." I only wish I still had it. She was gracious and friendly. But I didn't have the nerve to tell her I also thought she was as attractive as the day was long even to a kid pushing ten.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 12:25:16 am by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #361 on: August 09, 2019, 12:36:32 am »
@DCPatriot
Depends on the organ music.

But then today's ballpark organists haven't got half the wit of such legends as Gladys Gooding, the organist in Ebbets Field who, among other things, would play "Three Blind Mice" whenever close umpire calls went against the Brooklyn Dodgers. (She was actually baseball's first full-time organist.) She was also known, I think, for playing "Happy Trails" whenever the Dodgers knocked an opposing pitcher out of the box.

Or, Jane Jarvis, when she had the job in Shea Stadium from the park's opening through 1980. Among other things, Jarvis even had ways of trying to help settle the hash whenever the Mets got into a fight on the field: she'd play Charlie Parker's "Scrapple from the Apple." That wasn't just Jarvis being puckish---she was actually an accomplished jazz pianist:

Jane Jarvis, "Satin Doll"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Jane Jarvis, "Love for Sale"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Jane Jarvis, "Cut Glass"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Back when I was a kid going to games at Shea Stadium, this photograph of Jarvis appeared in the Mets' 1965 yearbook, part of an ad for Thomas organs. (Jarvis preferred the Thomas instrument over Hammond, intriguingly.) The day I got my copy, I happened to meet her leaving the ballpark and recognised her from the ad. The lady was actually kind enough to autograph the photo for me: "To Jeff---Thank you! Jane Jarvis." I only wish I still had it. She was gracious and friendly. But I didn't have the nerve to tell her I also thought she was as attractive as the day was long even to a kid pushing ten.

LOL!  Thanks for the lesson.  Back in the days, all the men in the stands wore fedoras.  Or white shirts and ties.

Played a Farfisa in clubs back in the 60's 

Under My Thumb, House of the Rising Sun, Green Onions.      David's Mood by the Kingsmen was our break song.   :laugh:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #362 on: August 09, 2019, 12:37:35 am »
LOL!  Thanks for the lesson.
@DCPatriot
Not bad for a guitar player, eh?  :beer:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #363 on: August 09, 2019, 12:39:15 am »
Played a Farfisa in clubs back in the 60's 

Under My Thumb, House of the Rising Sun, Green Onions.      David's Mood by the Kingsmen was our break song.   :laugh:
Here's the best "Green Onions" I ever heard by people not named Booker T. & the MGs . . .

Mike Bloomfield & Al Kooper, "Green Onions"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #364 on: August 09, 2019, 12:50:15 am »
Here's the best "Green Onions" I ever heard by people not named Booker T. & the MGs . . .

Mike Bloomfield & Al Kooper, "Green Onions"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

:beer:

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #365 on: August 11, 2019, 02:19:16 am »

Astros win 23-2 tonight against the poor O's.   Alvarez hits 3 HR's (17) and 7 rbi's. (51)  It's going to be tough to deny him the ROY at this rate.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #366 on: August 11, 2019, 02:30:38 am »
Astros win 23-2 tonight against the poor O's.   Alvarez hits 3 HR's (17) and 7 rbi's. (51)  It's going to be tough to deny him the ROY at this rate.

I think that was pretty much a lock already but if it wasn't, tonight should do it for sure.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #367 on: August 11, 2019, 02:42:57 am »
I think that was pretty much a lock already but if it wasn't, tonight should do it for sure.

Even though his batting stats are blowing Vlad away, I am afraid he is lacking name recognition, and add the fact he's a DH, and might be penalized for no defensive cred. 

It's got to be close at this point.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #368 on: August 11, 2019, 03:37:17 am »
Astros win 23-2 tonight against the poor O's.
That's like saying you won a nuclear war against an invader that has nothing but spears and stones to throw at you.  wink777
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 03:40:41 am by EasyAce »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #369 on: August 11, 2019, 03:40:04 am »
Even though his batting stats are blowing Vlad away, I am afraid he is lacking name recognition, and add the fact he's a DH, and might be penalized for no defensive cred. 

It's got to be close at this point.
He has more name recongition than you think. A poll at ESPN.com shows Alvarez the runaway AL Rookie of the Year favourte. As I write, he's leading with 64 percent of the poll vote.

Online AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #370 on: August 11, 2019, 02:41:29 pm »
That's like saying you won a nuclear war against an invader that has nothing but spears and stones to throw at you.  wink777

@EasyAce

I have no problem feeling über proud of the Astros. After all, it wasn't all that long ago that they were in baseball's basement with multiple years of losses of 100+. They've known what being on the other side of such games and what it feels like to be a laughingstock. They've worked hard to get where they've gotten, so no apologies for last night's blowout from me.

Incidentally, last night was especially sweet since we barely squeaked by the Orioles (3-2) the previous night.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #371 on: August 11, 2019, 02:57:10 pm »
@EasyAce

I have no problem feeling über proud of the Astros. After all, it wasn't all that long ago that they were in baseball's basement with multiple years of losses of 100+. They've known what being on the other side of such games and what it feels like to be a laughingstock. They've worked hard to get where they've gotten, so no apologies for last night's blowout from me.
@AllThatJazzZ
Nobody should ask for apologies. The Orioles just aren't a good team. They're barely a mediocre one. And unlike the Astros, who tore down to reconstruct (hence the multiple 100-loss seasons) with a defined plan and executed the plan, the Orioles---for all their proclamation about rebuilding---just don't seem to have the brains to do a proper rebuild. They've come a long, sad way from the years in which they spoke of the "Oriole Way" with the kind of respect the Astros' way now garners.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #372 on: August 11, 2019, 03:47:28 pm »
@EasyAce

Incidentally, last night was especially sweet since we barely squeaked by the Orioles (3-2) the previous night.

Luhnow has done an absolutely outstanding job of building this team, and continuing to load up for the future.  With a 3rd consecutive 100 W season in the bag pretty much done. (Which will tie the MLB record).  This time next year, I feel that this team will have a good shot of breaking that record, and getting a fourth season.  They are that loaded.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #373 on: August 17, 2019, 02:02:42 am »
@Lando Lincoln

Sean Doolittle strikes out Christian Yelich swinging for 1st out in the ninth inning....  thought of you right away.

I thought for sure he was going to kill us.   :laugh:

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #374 on: August 17, 2019, 06:26:18 am »
Dang it!
Astros have just dropped there 2nd in a row to the A’s.
5th loss in 6 games.
I should have gone to bed instead of staying up and watching this.
Just ended, after 13 innings.
1:25 am now.
At least the next 2 games start at 3:00 pm central.