Author Topic: BASEBALL 2019---LET'S DO IT!  (Read 46121 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Re: BASEBALL 2019---LET'S DO IT!
« Reply #250 on: July 20, 2019, 06:11:00 pm »
@AllThatJazzZ  Watched the game last night waiting for them to find your decked out self and put the camera on you.  Didn't happen.   :crying:
@Bigun
She looked too classy for the camera people.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #251 on: July 20, 2019, 06:17:14 pm »
@Bigun
She looked too classy for the camera people.

Probably right!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #252 on: July 22, 2019, 02:52:39 pm »
Relative from the DFW area recently reminded me of how the rump rangers have won more silver boots than us.   

My only simple reply is whether he can state where the only world series trophy in Texas resides.... :cool:

@catfish1957

Here's a visual reminder you can send to your relative. Try to resist reminding him that they've dropped to 4th place. That would be tacky, right?  wink777

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #253 on: July 22, 2019, 02:58:56 pm »
I wasn't at the park that night, y'all, but look for me sans bling on Wednesday. Astros vs. Oakland A's. Verlander starts. Third base side near the Crawford Boxes. I'll wave.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #254 on: July 22, 2019, 03:16:51 pm »
I wasn't at the park that night, y'all, but look for me sans bling on Wednesday. Astros vs. Oakland A's. Verlander starts. Third base side near the Crawford Boxes. I'll wave.

:yowsa:

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #255 on: July 23, 2019, 05:54:16 am »
Where are my Astros buddies? I hope y'all didn't miss tonight's game against Oakland. Eleven was a magical number. The night that was set aside to commemorate Apollo 11 was peppered with elevens all night long! I snapped a pic to text to my cousin and thought maybe I'd share it on this thread. Then I changed my mind ... until I noticed that this is page 11 of the thread. I took that as a sign, so here's a pic of the TV graphic with a few of the elevens.

Enjoyed the 3rd-inning interview with Neil Armstrong's son (who wore a jersey with #11 as he threw out the first pitch). Seven runs scored during that inning, bringing the score to 11-0. I'm not really superstitious, but I wouldn't mind if he visited the booth frequently. Just in case.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #256 on: July 23, 2019, 11:41:44 am »
Where are my Astros buddies? I hope y'all didn't miss tonight's game against Oakland. Eleven was a magical number. The night that was set aside to commemorate Apollo 11 was peppered with elevens all night long! I snapped a pic to text to my cousin and thought maybe I'd share it on this thread. Then I changed my mind ... until I noticed that this is page 11 of the thread. I took that as a sign, so here's a pic of the TV graphic with a few of the elevens.

Enjoyed the 3rd-inning interview with Neil Armstrong's son (who wore a jersey with #11 as he threw out the first pitch). Seven runs scored during that inning, bringing the score to 11-0. I'm not really superstitious, but I wouldn't mind if he visited the booth frequently. Just in case.

@AllThatJazzZ
The 11th batter of the inning drove in the 11th run on their 11th hit.
All on Apollo 11 commemoration night.
Gerrit Cole?
He had 11 strikeouts.

A very potent line up now, and Correa should be back next week.

Be afraid, American League, be very afraid.......

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #257 on: July 24, 2019, 11:50:27 am »
NATS have Fette and Corbin going today in the Day-Night Doubleheader versus the ROCKIES today.

The NATS are 'only' 4 games back in the 'Lost Column' behind the Atlanta BRAVES.

...with Max Scherzer slated to pitch tomorrow for the finale of the 4 game series.    :patriot:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #258 on: July 26, 2019, 04:09:51 am »
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/07/astros-to-designate-tony-kemp-activate-carlos-correa.html

I didn't realize I was signing up for this when I decided to become a baseball fan. My first taste of losing a beloved player was when the 2019 season started and Marwin was gone. Others, too, but losing Marwin was the hardest. Now -- and I understand the business decisions behind it -- we're losing Tony. I know for a fact that I'm not the only one who's shed a few tears over it. Maybe guys don't, but women do.

I'm sure I'll make the adjustment, but my heart will forever miss the presence of Tony Kemp on the Astros. And I'll probably feel a bit jealous of the next team he ends up on.

https://www.chron.com/sports/astros/article/Remembering-all-Tony-Kemp-Hugs-for-Homers-Astros-14135188.php

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #259 on: July 26, 2019, 01:29:45 pm »
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/07/astros-to-designate-tony-kemp-activate-carlos-correa.html

I didn't realize I was signing up for this when I decided to become a baseball fan. My first taste of losing a beloved player was when the 2019 season started and Marwin was gone. Others, too, but losing Marwin was the hardest. Now -- and I understand the business decisions behind it -- we're losing Tony. I know for a fact that I'm not the only one who's shed a few tears over it. Maybe guys don't, but women do.

I'm sure I'll make the adjustment, but my heart will forever miss the presence of Tony Kemp on the Astros. And I'll probably feel a bit jealous of the next team he ends up on.

https://www.chron.com/sports/astros/article/Remembering-all-Tony-Kemp-Hugs-for-Homers-Astros-14135188.php

I understand how you feel @AllThatJazzZ but I look at it this way. Tony will likely land on his feet and become an everyday player wherever he lands. That probably would never happen for him with the Astros.  I wish nothing but the very best for him!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #260 on: July 26, 2019, 01:47:59 pm »
I understand how you feel @AllThatJazzZ but I look at it this way. Tony will likely land on his feet and become an everyday player wherever he lands. That probably would never happen for him with the Astros.  I wish nothing but the very best for him!

When I was young, Rusty Staub leaving the Astros had a saddening effect.  Then at some point realizing how much money these guys made......   Didn't really feel sorry for those that got traded.  It's a business, and you got to put that in that frame of mind.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #261 on: July 26, 2019, 05:30:05 pm »

When I was young, Rusty Staub leaving the Astros had a saddening effect.  Then at some point realizing how much money these guys made......   Didn't really feel sorry for those that got traded.  It's a business, and you got to put that in that frame of mind.

@Bigun
@catfish1957

Y'all give my friends and me too much credit. Our tears are selfish. We assume that Tony will have a bright future regardless of where he ends up. We're emotionally attached to him. The loss of his energy and personality leaves a terrible void for us. And as I said, I understand the business decision behind the move. I'm just surprised at the sadness I feel.

I'm getting an education in baseball. One thing I've learned is how much more personal the game is than football. Not that I would have heeded the warning, but it almost seems like new baseball fans should be issued this WARNING: Affection for individual players may be stronger than expected. Possible heartbreak ahead.

BTW, Tony's salary is modest. He's not one of those making mega bucks. I hope that changes for him.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #262 on: July 26, 2019, 05:52:05 pm »
BTW, Tony's salary is modest. He's not one of those making mega bucks. I hope that changes for him.

If he becomes an everyday player somewhere that is sure to happen.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #263 on: July 26, 2019, 07:46:35 pm »
WARNING: Affection for individual players may be stronger than expected. Possible heartbreak ahead.
@AllThatJazzZ
I'll tell you a little secret: it might be applied to old baseball fans, too. Just ask, among others . . .

* Indians fans heartbroken over trading Rocky Colavito for Harvey Kuenn, 1960. (When Indians GM Trader Frank Lane, who was as addicted to making trades as some people are to coffee at the breakfast table, said he'd just traded hamburger for steak---never mind that hamburger was more than twice the run creator/run producer steak was.)

* Cub fans. Brockforbroglio. (It was said with such coordination that it sounded a) like one word; and, b) almost as though it were the actual surname of ill-fated Ernie Broglio, God rest his soul.)

* Astros fans who couldn't quite believe Trusty Rusty Staub was left to be snatched in the expansion draft that made him a Montreal Expo. (Where he became nicknamed, memorably, Le Grande Orange.) Or, that the Astros would trade solid double-play combination Denis Menke and Hall of Famer Joe Morgan to the Reds, where Morgan became one of the big keys to the Big Red Machine's mid-1970s success (not to mention a couple of World Series rings) and Menke would shift to third base. (Menke, as it turned out, was aging rapidly enough, but not before he suited up for the Reds and set a still-standing World Series record for fielding chances at third base without an error in the 1972 Series.)

* Mets fans over the "Saturday Night Massacre" trades involving Hall of Famer Tom Seaver and slugger Dave Kingman. (Said one banner at Shea Stadium after the Seaver trade: I WAS A BELIEVER/BUT NOW WE'VE LOST SEAVER. Even future commissioner and then-Yale president A. Bartlett Giamatti mourned the deal, writing---with a reference to that banner---"that among all the men who play baseball there is, very occasionally, a man of such qualities of heart and mind and body that he transcends even the great and glorious game, and that such a man is to be cherished, not sold.")

* Royals fans who thought then-manager Whitey Herzog lost his mind running slugging first baseman John Mayberry out of town and to Toronto. (They didn't know what the White Rat knew: Mayberry showed up hung over and high on pot for a critical American League Championship Series and was in no shape to play; the Royals got knocked out of the pennant and Herzog blamed Mayberry, spending the next season looking for a taker for him.)

* Cardinal fans who wanted to broil and baste Herzog (then the general manager as well as the manager) in due course for trading Keith Hernandez for three also-rans and allowing Hernandez, as the White Rat himself eventually acknowledged, "to get in our kitchen and rattle our pans" as the leader of the resurrecting 1980s Mets. (Those fans weren't aware of just why Herzog made the deal: Hernandez then had trouble with cocaine and, unlike other such players by whom Herzog stood if and when they cried for help, most notably catcher Darrell Porter and outfielder Lonnie Smith, didn't yet think he needed it. The trade scared Hernandez straight enough that he featured at the notorious Pittsburgh drug trials testifying that cocaine was "the devil on earth.")

* Angel fans watching the team let its most popular player of the mid-to-late 1980s, Wally Joyner, walk as a free agent. Unaware of team officials accusing Joyner of malingering when a staph infection took him out of most of the 1986 American League Championship Series, or of being a softie when he suffered rounds of injuries to follow, accusations that didn't exactly amuse Joyner. After Joyner signed with the Royals for 1992, Whitey Herzog himself---who'd been hired to examine the Angels' farm system and help with contract talks---said Joyner could have been kept an Angel, except that, "If there wasn't animosity on all sides, this deal would have been done by now. I feel like a damn divorce lawyer trying to decide who gets custody of this kid."

Among others . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #264 on: July 26, 2019, 10:31:52 pm »
we're losing Tony. I know for a fact that I'm not the only one who's shed a few tears over it.

@AllThatJazzZ

ATJ.....

Thought you might enjoy this.....

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #265 on: July 27, 2019, 04:40:27 pm »
"...that among all the men who play baseball there is, very occasionally, a man of such qualities of heart and mind and body that he transcends even the great and glorious game..."

@EasyAce

Way to get the tears flowing again.  8888crybaby

Thanks for the examples of some of the heartbreaks and regrets in baseball. When I first took up this new addiction, I thought the only emotional rollercoaster part would be the wins and losses. Obviously I was naïve, but I'm already hooked. I'll take the highs and lows, but not without a box of Kleenex nearby.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #266 on: July 27, 2019, 04:46:47 pm »
@AllThatJazzZ

ATJ.....

Thought you might enjoy this.....

@catfish1957

A bittersweet gif, but I love it. Thanks!

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #267 on: July 27, 2019, 04:52:14 pm »
@EasyAce

Thanks for the examples of some of the heartbreaks and regrets in baseball. When I first took up this new addiction, I thought the only emotional rollercoaster part would be the wins and losses. Obviously I was naïve, but I'm already hooked. I'll take the highs and lows, but not without a box of Kleenex nearby.
@AllThatJazzZ
A. Bartlett Giamatti's original essay, "Tom Seaver's Farewell," was originally published in Harper's in the September 1977 issue. It was also collected in the posthumous A Great and Glorious Game: Baseball Writings of A. Bartlett Giamatti.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #268 on: July 27, 2019, 04:57:00 pm »
@EasyAce

p.s. I had two occasions to write about Tom Seaver earlier this year:

The Franchise could use a miracle.
When miracle workers re-convene.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #269 on: July 27, 2019, 05:50:02 pm »
To my fellow Astros fans...

What's wrong with this July 2 StroPoll?

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #270 on: July 27, 2019, 08:46:40 pm »
To my fellow Astros fans...

What's wrong with this July 2 StroPoll?

Brantley missing as a choice?

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #271 on: July 27, 2019, 10:17:56 pm »
Brantley missing as a choice?

@catfish1957

While I can agree that Brantley needed to be on that list, I was thinking of someone else -- someone who's hot as a jalapeño these days.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #272 on: July 28, 2019, 01:00:34 am »
@catfish1957

While I can agree that Brantley needed to be on that list, I was thinking of someone else -- someone who's hot as a jalapeño these days.

YULI!!!!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #273 on: July 28, 2019, 04:31:26 am »
@AllThatJazzZ
A. Bartlett Giamatti's original essay, "Tom Seaver's Farewell," was originally published in Harper's in the September 1977 issue. It was also collected in the posthumous A Great and Glorious Game: Baseball Writings of A. Bartlett Giamatti.

Interesting reading. Having only recently discovered the sport, I get lost in the esotericism at times. Therefore, I sometimes cheat and skim over certain parts, but I got the big picture. I also read your pieces that you linked in your next post. I'm glad Seaver was having a good day when his friends came to visit.

BTW, from looking at your numerous articles, I came away with two observations: (1) You're Canadian (or were educated there or in some Commonwealth nation), and (2) You're a writing machine! You must be very disciplined. It's possible I could have been as prolific as you had I been disciplined enough to make the effort. By the time I sat down to write down all those profound or witty or casual thoughts I'd been collecting in my mind, they weren't there. Kudos to you for your writing skills and for your dedication to the craft.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #274 on: July 28, 2019, 04:37:07 am »