Author Topic: BASEBALL 2019---LET'S DO IT!  (Read 45642 times)

Offline GrouchoTex

Re: BASEBALL 2019---LET'S DO IT!
« Reply #200 on: July 11, 2019, 07:48:42 pm »
@GrouchoTex
@Bigun

:#@$%:

Y'all are taking this better than I am. I shall have to part company with those who pushed for this in an attempt to keep my blood pressure down.

:soangry: *mad* :chairbang:

@AllThatJazzZ

Angels fans will probably be more upset about it than I am.
2 games isn't much.
It's enough to say that upon review, the league said, "This wasn't on purpose, but don't do it again."
Fair enough.
It's what I've felt all along.
No, Marisnick wasn't necessary trying to do this, but he did do it.

(Think about it this way, if the suspension starts today, he misses playing in Arlington. The only think worst than July in Arlington, is August in Arlington).

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #201 on: July 11, 2019, 07:52:26 pm »
@AllThatJazzZ

Angels fans will probably be more upset about it than I am.
2 games isn't much.
It's enough to say that upon review, the league said, "This wasn't on purpose, but don't do it again."
Fair enough.
It's what I've felt all along.
No, Marisnick wasn't necessary trying to do this, but he did do it.

(Think about it this way, if the suspension starts today, he misses playing in Arlington. The only think worst than July in Arlington, is August in Arlington).

Bullsh*t!  Marisnick didn't do a damned thing other than play baseball!

There goes MY blood pressure!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #202 on: July 11, 2019, 08:01:49 pm »
Relax, Everybody...

Marisnick is one of my favorite players.
As great as he plays in the field, if he ever hit above .250 consistently, he'd be an everyday player.
He's saved us a lot of runs being that good, and on a part-time basis.
And, he seems like a genuine nice guy.

The joke I heard the other day about how great he is in the outfield:

"The earth is covered in 2/3 water, the other 1/3 is covered by Jake Marisnick"

Shoot me now, if you like, but I think he made a mistake by going in front of home plate.
That's what I saw, and what I keep seeing, on the replay.
Fire at will...............

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #203 on: July 11, 2019, 08:32:38 pm »
Bullsh*t!  Marisnick didn't do a damned thing other than play baseball!

There goes MY blood pressure!

Are you kidding??

Super-Slo-Mo says that his suspension was warranted.   He CHOSE to lower his shoulder and go THRU the catcher.

Be honest about it.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #204 on: July 11, 2019, 08:36:08 pm »
Are you kidding??

Super-Slo-Mo says that his suspension was warranted.   He CHOSE to lower his shoulder and go THRU the catcher.

Be honest about it.
@DCPatriot
I was honest about it. And was almost crucified for it.  wink777

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #205 on: July 11, 2019, 09:06:29 pm »

"The earth is covered in 2/3 water, the other 1/3 is covered by Jake Marisnick"

:thumbsup:

Shoot me now, if you like, but I think he made a mistake by going in front of home plate.
That's what I saw, and what I keep seeing, on the replay.
Fire at will...............

I won't shoot you. I might like to give you a healthy thump on the head.

I will always maintain that this same play would never have come to this if Marisnick and Lucroy had collided in the exact same way but Lucroy didn't get hurt. (Collision an inch off; ball 1/2 inch closer; Lucroy's head turned slightly; any number of reasons.) If Lucroy had been able get up and continue play, no fine or suspension for Jake. Run would have counted. Prove that I'm wrong. In fining and suspending him, the statement made is that they expected Marisnick to be clairvoyant and to be able to screech to a halt or make a quick move to the right when he was already in speed-of-Jake motion.

But maybe there are those who would rather have seen Jake stop, throw his hands up and acquiesce to the catcher. Or try tiptoeing to home plate. Yeah, that's baseball. Wussified baseball. Bubblewrap, anyone?

Just in case there's anyone who is of the mind that I don't care that Lucroy sustained terrible injuries, you are wrong. I hate that he got hurt. I pray that he makes a full recovery and goes on to play many years of outstanding baseball. I believe athletes know what the possibilities of injury are when they sign up to play. They accept the risk because they love the game. Robinson Chirinos could tell you about that.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #206 on: July 11, 2019, 09:11:47 pm »
@DCPatriot
I was honest about it. And was almost crucified for it.  wink777

As opposed to those who disagreed and were therefore dishonest about it.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #207 on: July 11, 2019, 09:16:16 pm »

His thread, therefore he is automatically 100% right...  (/S)

:silly:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #208 on: July 11, 2019, 09:16:28 pm »
A few clips from the video @Lando Lincoln posted in the original thread:

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #209 on: July 11, 2019, 09:33:50 pm »
 **nononono*

I'll blame it on the errant throw.....
It's the closest thing to the truth we may ever really know.
The throw was off-line.

Everybody happy now?

:cool:

:beer:

:amen:

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #210 on: July 11, 2019, 09:39:25 pm »
A few clips from the video @Lando Lincoln posted in the original thread:

Perfectly  illustrates my contentions and counters earlier in this thread. 

In slide (1) Say at zero seconds- Lucroy is blocking the plate.  Even at this camera angle.

Slide (2) at .5 seconds, Lucroy makes his juke move in toward inside of the plate.  Marsinick mistakenly adjusts, and Jake at this tiny time frame has probably lost focus on the plate.

Slide (3) At 1+ seconds-  Yes Marsinick is within the base path, but the camera angle is misleading. Lucroy has completed his juke move.  Look at this same shot from the opposite angle below.  Jake appears to be just within the base paths, while Lucroy is blocking the plate.  My best guess is Jake was still thinking he is within baseline guidelines , and rules are specific that catcher can not block plate without possession of the ball.  Simply, He was trying to beat the ball, but chose a wrong way to slide.

In the most technical of technicalities, Marsinick is violation of the Posey rule.....    Fair or not. 

Sadly, the ESPN / MSM media won't give all the camera angles to fans to make a sound judgement of intent or maliciousness.

I'm ready to move on.  How about everyone else.

At this camera angle, Marsinick seems to be within the baseline as little as a foot, and Lucroy seems to be blocking the plate.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 09:57:38 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #211 on: July 11, 2019, 09:50:37 pm »

Perfectly  illustrates my contentions and counters earlier in that thread. 

In slide (1) Say at zero seconds- Lucroy is blocking the plate.  Even at this camera angle.

Slide (2) at .5 seconds, Lucroy makes his juke move in toward inside of the plate.  Marsinick mistakenly adjusts, and Jake at this tiny time frame has probably lost focus on the plate.

Slide (3) At 1+ seconds-  Yes Marsinick is within the base path, but the camera angle is misleading. Lucroy has completed his juke move.  Look at this same shot from the oppisite angle below.  Jake appears to be just within the base paths, while Lucroy is blocking the plate.  My best guess is Jake was still thinking he is within baseline guidelines , and rules are specific that catcher can not block plate without possession of the ball.  Simply, He was trying to beat the ball, but chose a wrong way to slide.

In the most technical of technicalities, Marsinick is violation of the Posey rule.....    Fair or not. 

Sadly, the ESPN / MSM media won't give all the camera angles to fans to make a sound judgement of intent or maliciousness.

I'm ready to move on.  How about everyone else.

At this camera angle, Marsinick seems to be within the baseline as little as a foot, and Lucroy seems to be blocking the plate.

Yep!  Even baseball fans fall victim to seeing only what they want you to see..  SAD!

From any angle you care to view it, the collision may have occurred very slightly inside the base LINE, nothing occured outside the base PATH!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 09:54:01 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #212 on: July 11, 2019, 09:55:35 pm »
Yep!  Even baseball fans fall victim to seeing only what they want you to see..  SAD!

I frequent other baseball forums, and some of the disgusting things that have been said about Marsinick will turn your stomach. 

Like I mentioned, the wuss Posey rule does show Jake in violation. I'll grant that.  I thought a one game suspension and no fine would have been the most equtiable punishment. 

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #213 on: July 11, 2019, 10:05:37 pm »
On to Arlington, where the temperature is only 93 degrees right now.

Offline EdJames

« Reply #214 on: July 11, 2019, 10:22:25 pm »
I frequent other baseball forums, and some of the disgusting things that have been said about Marsinick will turn your stomach. 

Like I mentioned, the wuss Posey rule does show Jake in violation. I'll grant that.  I thought a one game suspension and no fine would have been the most equtiable punishment.

That's just crazy (trash talking Marsinick on this play).

I have no dog in the fight, not a fan of either team.

And, was not a fan of the Posey rule when it went into effect.  But as you say, yes, this ended up being a violation.

And I understand about camera angles, but am hard pressed to believe that the images shown above (which clearly place the bodies of both players well inside of the base line), can distort it to the degree that these are not realistic images.  (No part of the body of either player was even close to the line at the point of collision.  And in the 2nd image it is very clear that Marsinick has changed direction heading to the inside.  I doubt that he was intending to crash into the catcher, because it is as someone else mentioned, the errant throw is what is drawing the catcher into that position.)

Truly an accident that ended up in a (stupid) rules violation. 

1 game or 2 games suspension?  Doesn't seem all that significant in the long run....  JMO.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 10:23:37 pm by EdJames »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #215 on: July 11, 2019, 10:24:42 pm »
To me it looks like he make up his mind to go inside, since the catcher was essentially in front of the plate.

He had to choose.  The ball wasn't going to get there in time and the catcher shortened the distance.

A classy runner would have dived over the catcher and patted the plate for the ump.

In that deciding moment, he was going thru a brick wall.   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #216 on: July 11, 2019, 10:33:31 pm »
:6.01(i)(1).

(2) Unless the catcher is in possession of the ball, the catcher cannot block the pathway of the runner as he is attempting to score. If, in the judgment of the umpire, the catcher without possession of the ball blocks the pathway of the runner, the umpire shall call or signal the runner safe.

Why is no one talking about this little tidbit?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 10:34:48 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #217 on: July 11, 2019, 10:37:08 pm »
Why is no one talking about this little tidbit?

@Bigun

Because the catcher moved so he couldn't be charged with blocking the plate.

Problem is, they both went the same way and the runner committed himself a bit over zealously.   :laugh:

Offline EdJames

« Reply #218 on: July 11, 2019, 10:40:14 pm »
I think Lucroy wanted to have it both ways (like most catchers), leaving his foot and shin to block, with the rest of his body out of the path....

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #219 on: July 11, 2019, 10:42:17 pm »
@Bigun

Because the catcher moved so he couldn't be charged with blocking the plate.

Problem is, they both went the same way and the runner committed himself a bit over zealously.   :laugh:

@DCPatriot  Buff feathers!  Jake Marisnick did nothing but play baseball and him being punished for that is a travesty!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #220 on: July 11, 2019, 10:42:36 pm »

Truly an accident that ended up in a (stupid) rules violation. 

Well stated

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #221 on: July 11, 2019, 10:48:13 pm »

A classy runner would have dived over the catcher and patted the plate for the ump.

An athletic version of Jake M.  might have been able to leap frogged Lucroy. 

Have you seen Marisnick?  He's built like a linebacker.  Based on alternate camera angles, and intent.  I don't think the inferred "classy", or lack of is really descriptive of this unforunate event. 

Just my take of it, my baseball friend.    :beer:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 10:49:07 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #222 on: July 11, 2019, 10:49:35 pm »
Well stated

It is!  But I'm still pizzed that Marisnick was called out! Forget about suspended and fined!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #223 on: July 11, 2019, 10:51:02 pm »
It is!  But I'm still pizzed that Marisnick was called out!

Can you imagine the uproar if AJ had called for a replay, while Lucroy was being placed on a stretcher?   

He made the right move.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #224 on: July 11, 2019, 11:05:39 pm »
@AllThatJazzZ
Uh, no.  I never implied and wouldn't imply disagreement to be equal to dishonesty. I spoke only of expressing my honest view.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.