Author Topic: BASEBALL 2019---LET'S DO IT!  (Read 46249 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: BASEBALL 2019---LET'S DO IT!
« Reply #625 on: October 18, 2019, 11:03:59 pm »
@DCPatriot @catfish1957

We need one out of three and they need to run the table.  I like our chances.

I'm trying to recall the last world series that was anything like what I imagine a 2019 Astros vs Nats series would be like.  1960 maybe?

You think the games are going to be that lopsided?   Or, just that the Nationals in your mind are underdogs?

I suspect low-scoring games from starters and will be relieved solely because of pitch-count. 

...there a small part of me that wishes we would play the Yankees just for the opportunity to bitch-slap them.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #626 on: October 19, 2019, 02:34:59 am »
   Or, just that the Nationals in your mind are underdogs?

Astros team batting average through 1st 5 in the ALCS?  .177

If they don't start being able to hit out a wet paper bag, this may be a Nats v. Yankees series.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #627 on: October 19, 2019, 04:57:20 am »
Astros team batting average through 1st 5 in the ALCS?  .177

If they don't start being able to hit out a wet paper bag, this may be a Nats v. Yankees series.

@catfish1957
@Bigun
@GrouchoTex
@EasyAce

What happened to them? Their bats cooled off at the same time -- seems like all of September, IIRC. They were going strong and then, similar to Miley's pitching, the bottom dropped out. How does that happen? Yordan was a beast. Yuli was hitting home runs in his sleep. Bregman. Altuve. Springer. You expected good things when they came to the plate and you were rarely disappointed. Then it felt like a proverbial blue norther swept in and cooled down their bats.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #628 on: October 19, 2019, 01:23:56 pm »
You think the games are going to be that lopsided?   Or, just that the Nationals in your mind are underdogs?

I suspect low-scoring games from starters and will be relieved solely because of pitch-count. 

...there a small part of me that wishes we would play the Yankees just for the opportunity to bitch-slap them.

I was thinking more along the lines of an Ali/ Frazier fight @DCPatriot but  :shrug:.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #629 on: October 19, 2019, 01:35:40 pm »
@catfish1957
@Bigun
@GrouchoTex
@EasyAce

What happened to them? Their bats cooled off at the same time -- seems like all of September, IIRC. They were going strong and then, similar to Miley's pitching, the bottom dropped out. How does that happen? Yordan was a beast. Yuli was hitting home runs in his sleep. Bregman. Altuve. Springer. You expected good things when they came to the plate and you were rarely disappointed. Then it felt like a proverbial blue norther swept in and cooled down their bats.

I'll offer my thoughts FWTAW.  MANY moons ago I played a little baseball myself and, I'm told, I was fairly good at it so this is just a somewhat informed theory.  The one thing most ballplayers hate above all things is having to play in cold weather as it greatly amplifies everything.  Just getting your body ready to play in those conditions is a chore. Even hitting a ball squarely with the bat hurts but hitting is less than squarely hurts more. Getting hit by a pitch or fouling one off into the arch of your foot is bad enough in warm weather but when it's cold OMG! Catching a hot liner in the palm of your glove will get your attention as well. In short, playing in the cold flat out sucks and I'm going to blame it on that at least partially although the bats were cold in TB as well weren't they?  I'm hoping that getting back to Minute Maid will do the trick!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 01:37:09 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #630 on: October 19, 2019, 02:23:41 pm »
@catfish1957
@Bigun
@GrouchoTex
@EasyAce

Ah....the MOAB (mother of all baseball) arguments..... 

"What Happened" is that GREAT PITCHING beats GREAT HITTING...otherwise they wouldn't be considered "great" pitching.    happy77
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #631 on: October 21, 2019, 02:54:43 pm »
Ah....the MOAB (mother of all baseball) arguments..... 

"What Happened" is that GREAT PITCHING beats GREAT HITTING...otherwise they wouldn't be considered "great" pitching.    happy77

True, the last two bullpens we faced were supposed to be the 1st and 2nd best in the league, so, there's that to consider.