Author Topic: BASEBALL 2019---LET'S DO IT!  (Read 45944 times)

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
Re: BASEBALL 2019---LET'S DO IT!
« Reply #600 on: October 07, 2019, 04:11:11 pm »
FS1 also.
All they talked about for 3 innings Saturday night was how great Snell looked, and how to beat Gerrit Cole.
Osuna made me nervous.......

@GrouchoTex

Me too. How does he come out and finish up the 8th inning with such efficiency and then fall apart in the 9th? Thank God for Will Harris.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #601 on: October 08, 2019, 11:48:13 pm »
Come on Astros....do your part.      :2popcorn:

...a dreaming Nats' fan.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #602 on: October 10, 2019, 04:47:12 am »

...a dreaming Nats' fan.

Hey Dodgers...

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #603 on: October 10, 2019, 04:47:21 am »

...a dreaming Nats' fan.

@DCPatriot  :beer:

Congratulations on the exciting conclusion of Gm 5 tonight.  The Nats ticket as been punched for the NLCS.

Now my team has to get to work tomorrow.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #604 on: October 10, 2019, 04:48:52 am »
Hey Dodgers...

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

:silly:

Can we offically call the Dodgers the Buffalo Bills of MLB?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #605 on: October 10, 2019, 04:54:48 am »

:silly:

Can we offically call the Dodgers the Buffalo Bills of MLB?

Actually that's what the Braves are. 

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #606 on: October 10, 2019, 07:26:08 am »
@DCPatriot  :beer:

Congratulations on the exciting conclusion of Gm 5 tonight.  The Nats ticket as been punched for the NLCS.

Now my team has to get to work tomorrow.

ROFL!!!

Still can't believe it!   I'm numb.

...and the GD announcers on MLB, including Harold Reynolds act like somebody died.   Sooooo Solemn.    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #607 on: October 10, 2019, 09:29:52 am »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #608 on: October 10, 2019, 11:27:07 am »

Anyone watching last night...the diving final out of the Series by Michael A. Taylor, could see that he still doesn't feel like he's contributed enough to celebrate like his teammates.

He's so humble...being sent down to Triple A for most of the season because of his high number of strikeouts.

Dusty Baker called him the best Centerfielder he's ever seen. ....back then.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #609 on: October 10, 2019, 12:02:13 pm »
ROFL!!!

...and the GD announcers on MLB, including Harold Reynolds act like somebody died.   Sooooo Solemn.    :laugh:

Now If the Yankees don't make it  to the WS, they'll need to put the COB office, and coastal baseball illuminati of suicide watch.

Here is a fun fact....   Kershaw's post season record is now 9-11, 4.43 era, and 1.105 WHIP.  He may be Cooperstown bound, but it won't be for his post season record.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #610 on: October 10, 2019, 01:45:21 pm »
ROFL!!!

Good thing that Kendrick guy can hit cause his glove SUCKS!!!!  :bolt:

Congrats @DCPatriot and all the other Nats fans out there.  Hoping the Astros bats will wake up again tonight.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #611 on: October 10, 2019, 03:03:36 pm »
Hoping the Astros bats will wake up again tonight.

@Bigun

Hear! Hear!

-----------------------------------

@Polly Ticks

Checking on you. You okay? What a gut punch yesterday for the Braves.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #612 on: October 10, 2019, 03:52:51 pm »

@Polly Ticks

Checking on you. You okay? What a gut punch yesterday for the Braves.

@AllThatJazzZ

LOL - thank you!  Yes, I'm hanging in there.  I actually missed most of the carnage. I had to leave home right when the game started to go to my son's house to babysit (very few things trump baseball, but my baby granddaughter definitely does!), and by the time I got there it was pretty much all over but the shouting.  Or maybe I should say the cursing?

Ah, baseball, you do break my heart ... but I still love you!

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #613 on: October 10, 2019, 04:33:13 pm »

Ah, baseball, you do break my heart ... but I still love you!

@Polly Ticks

Now see, no one told me about that part before I got hooked.  **nononono*

Tonight is our night to move up or to stay home. Our starting pitchers have struggled and our bats have been fairly cold. I'd love to watch the game like this  :pop41: But I fear it might be more like this  :0001:.

BTW, I have such a soft spot for Brian McCann. I'm glad for him that he's finally able to retire, relax and rest those knees. I remember his saying that he was so exhausted at the end of game 7 of the 2017 WS, he didn't have another inning left. God bless him.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #614 on: October 10, 2019, 04:37:56 pm »
@Polly Ticks

Now see, no one told me about that part before I got hooked.  **nononono*
@AllThatJazzZ
@Polly Ticks

It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it the most, it stops.

---A. Bartlett Giamatti, from "The Green Fields of the Mind," Yale Alumni Magazine, 1977---a decade before he became president of the National League.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #615 on: October 10, 2019, 05:51:08 pm »
@AllThatJazzZ
@Polly Ticks

It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it the most, it stops.

---A. Bartlett Giamatti, from "The Green Fields of the Mind," Yale Alumni Magazine, 1977---a decade before he became president of the National League.

@EasyAce

You forgot the Kleenex alert.  :nono:

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #616 on: October 10, 2019, 05:54:43 pm »

You forgot the Kleenex alert.  :nono:

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #617 on: October 10, 2019, 06:10:20 pm »

@catfish1957

No such rule in my house. It's my Astros and I'll cry if I want to.  22222frying pan

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #618 on: October 17, 2019, 11:01:57 pm »
In case anyone is interested, the Kindle version of Dwight Gooden's autobiography is $0.99 today.

A brutally honest memoir of talent, addiction, and recovery from one of the greatest baseball pitchers of all time. As a shy nineteen-year-old, Dwight Gooden swept into New York, lifting a team of crazy characters to World Series greatness and giving a beleaguered city a reason to believe. Then he threw it all away.
Now, with fresh and sober eyes, the Mets’ beloved Dr. K shares the intimate details of his life and career, revealing all the extraordinary highs and lows: The hidden traumas in his close-knit Tampa family. The thrill and pressure of being a young baseball phenom in New York. The raucous days and nights with the Mets’ bad boys (and the real reason he missed the 1986 World Series Victory Parade). The self-destructive drug binges and the three World Series rings. His heartbreaking attempts at getting sober, the senseless damage to family and friends, and the unexpected way he finally saved his life—on VH1’s Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew.

In Doc, Gooden details his close friendships with many of baseball’s greats: Pete Rose, George Streinbrenner, Joe Torre, and nephew Gary Sheffield. For the first time ever, he reveals the full story of his troubled relationship with fellow Mets superstar Darryl Strawberry. And he tells the moving story of the Yankees no-hitter he pitched for his dying father. Doc is a riveting baseball memoir by one of the game’s most fascinating figures, and an inspiring story for anyone who has faced tough challenges in life.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #619 on: October 18, 2019, 12:16:04 pm »
How the new dead ball is faking out players, fans and even cameramen
Sam Miller

It was a deep fly ball off the top of the wall that set up one of the loudest storylines of this postseason: Ronald Acuna Jr. "hoisted a mighty blast that wasn't quite as mighty as he believed" in Game 1 of the National League Division Series, began an early home run trot that cost him a double, then got chastised by his Atlanta Braves teammates and his "beyond miffed" manager. Acuna's presumption was, presumably, also noted by his opponents. "I was always aware when a runner made a mistake like that," TBS broadcaster Ron Darling said during the game.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27853940/how-new-dead-ball-faking-players-fans-even-cameramen

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #620 on: October 18, 2019, 03:04:35 pm »
Hello??    Buehler?   Bueller??

@EasyAce
@Polly Ticks
@catfish1957
@dfwgator
@Right_in_Virginia
@Bigun   
@AllThatJazzZ
@GrouchoTex

I feel like that pajama-wearing geek in the Coca-Cola spot sitting in the bleachers watching his team get their asses handed to them...standing up yelling:

"Just because 'Your' team wasn't good enough or lucky at the right moment to advance...there's STILL a lot of exciting baseball to be played."

Screw the Yankees and their 'trillion' dollar payroll.  They've been trying to buy pennants since Jesus was a boy in Nazareth.

The pitching and hitting matchups between the Astros and Nationals are the best in the sport.

(If it's truly a 'Dead' ball for the playoffs, it has to benefit the Nationals...who, IMO have more 'Punch n Judy' gap busters among their lineup bats)

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #621 on: October 18, 2019, 03:10:09 pm »

@EasyAce
@Polly Ticks
@catfish1957
@dfwgator
@Right_in_Virginia
@Bigun   
@AllThatJazzZ
@GrouchoTex

I feel like that pajama-wearing geek in the Coca-Cola spot sitting in the bleachers watching his team get their asses handed to them...standing up yelling:

"Just because 'Your' team wasn't good enough or lucky at the right moment to advance...there's STILL a lot of exciting baseball to be played."

Screw the Yankees and their 'trillion' dollar payroll.  They've been trying to buy pennants since Jesus was a boy in Nazareth.

The pitching and hitting matchups between the Astros and Nationals are the best in the sport.

(If it's truly a 'Dead' ball for the playoffs, it has to benefit the Nationals...who, IMO have more 'Punch n Judy' gap busters among their lineup bats)

I'm still here, @DCPatriot  and still watching as much of the games as I can.  And I can totally get behind your 'screw the Yankees cheer'!
 :cheerlead:

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #622 on: October 18, 2019, 04:06:18 pm »

@DCPatriot

Altuve, Brantley, and Correa are pretty nice in the capacity too, when needed.  Still with the arms being paraded by both sides out there, I have a sneaking suspicon that we might be seeing some low scoring games.

If we can finish off the Stankees, it will be an outstanding series, featuring 8-10 probable future HOF'ers.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #623 on: October 18, 2019, 04:08:15 pm »
How the new dead ball is faking out players, fans and even cameramen

I think I have seen about 3 "bat flips" on long outs this post season.  Kind of "Willie Mays Hayes" funny if you ask me.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #624 on: October 18, 2019, 10:00:12 pm »
Altuve, Brantley, and Correa are pretty nice in the capacity too, when needed.  Still with the arms being paraded by both sides out there, I have a sneaking suspicon that we might be seeing some low scoring games.

If we can finish off the Stankees, it will be an outstanding series, featuring 8-10 probable future HOF'ers.

@DCPatriot @catfish1957

We need one out of three and they need to run the table.  I like our chances.

I'm trying to recall the last world series that was anything like what I imagine a 2019 Astros vs Nats series would be like.  1960 maybe?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 10:03:04 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien