Author Topic: BASEBALL 2019---LET'S DO IT!  (Read 45647 times)

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: BASEBALL 2019---LET'S DO IT!
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2019, 01:09:27 pm »
@Jazzhead
I thought about you and the Mrs. when Hoskins hit that grand slam.  What an amazingly fun time to be at the ballpark!

Congratulations to your guys; they played a heck of a game.   Nola's curveball was exquisite, by the way.

Thanks - phun it was, @Polly Ticks !    Tehran looked good yesterday; other than Cutch's shot he arguably outpitched Nola,  who was a bit wild.    Most of our damage came against your pen. 

The atmosphere at the yard was like ten years ago.   So pleased to see it.   I saw the Mets and Nats were locked in a doozy of a pitchers' battle yesterday.  The NL East is going to be the NL Beast!   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2019, 03:16:50 pm »
Astros outfielder George Springer hit an opening day home run for the 3rd consecutive year, a 3 run center field shot.
It was his 2nd at bat. The previous 2 years, he led off with home runs.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2019, 04:30:41 pm »
Life after Harper? Juan Soto can be what Bryce was ... and more

Speaking of Harper, I heard he received his first warm Philadelphia welcome after striking out with a runner on third yesterday.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 04:31:42 pm by skeeter »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2019, 04:40:33 pm »
Speaking of Harper, I heard he received his first warm Philadelphia welcome after striking out with a runner on third yesterday.

Don't believe what you hear.  I was there.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2019, 12:25:35 am »
Max Scherzer gets Bryce Harper in 1st AB on an 85 mph change-up, with two men on.   :laugh:

video at link:   http://www.espn.com/mlb/

...and another swinging strikeout...slider under the hands in the 3rd inning.    :laugh:  :laugh:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 12:43:50 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2019, 02:56:12 am »
Memo to: Nationals Fans.
Subject: The English Language.

If you're going to boo, hiss, and protest a guy who went elsewhere as a legitimate free agent after your team actually kinda lowballed him, at least learn to effing spell! . . .

P.S. The "tratior" just conked a two-run homer in the top of the eighth. He's 3-for-5 on the night. (No disgrace to come up short against Max Scherzer, folks, a lot of people do.)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 02:57:18 am by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2019, 01:12:29 pm »
That was one epic bat-flip!

Mrs. Jazz and I were high-fiving most of the night.    From Eflin's stellar start  - 9 Ks! -  to Franco's five straight times on base,  to Segura's clutch bases-clearing double, to Hoskins'  aggressive play on a bunt to cut down the lead runner,  to Bryce's 450-foot stake driven through the hearts of those few Nats fans left in attendance,  this was a true statement game!   

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2019, 02:36:26 pm »
That was one epic bat-flip!

Mrs. Jazz and I were high-fiving most of the night.    From Eflin's stellar start  - 9 Ks! -  to Franco's five straight times on base,  to Segura's clutch bases-clearing double, to Hoskins'  aggressive play on a bunt to cut down the lead runner,  to Bryce's 450-foot stake driven through the hearts of those few Nats fans left in attendance,  this was a true statement game!

I swear the dinger pitch was nothing more than batting practice or HR Derby.   

...like he changed his mind on what to throw in mid-toss.  Watch it!    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2019, 04:04:26 pm »
I swear the dinger pitch was nothing more than batting practice or HR Derby.   

...like he changed his mind on what to throw in mid-toss.  Watch it!    :laugh:

Harper certainly smacked it like it was batting practice - over 450 feet!   What gave me a kick was that the lower right field stands were at that point filled with cheering Phillies phans,  and the right field upper deck was practically deserted.    Bryce could have given one of those Phils phans a cool souvenir - but instead he hit it right over their heads!   

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2019, 05:18:14 pm »
Harper certainly smacked it like it was batting practice - over 450 feet!   What gave me a kick was that the lower right field stands were at that point filled with cheering Phillies phans,  and the right field upper deck was practically deserted.    Bryce could have given one of those Phils phans a cool souvenir - but instead he hit it right over their heads!

Oh...your knife cuts me the deepest, @Jazzhead

Only 4 games into a season and already, you and your wife are referring to him by his first name....sob....     :laugh:

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2019, 05:48:17 pm »
Oh...your knife cuts me the deepest, @Jazzhead

Only 4 games into a season and already, you and your wife are referring to him by his first name....sob....     :laugh:

Philly's in love with the guy -  he must have hired a consultant to advise him how to best make a first impression, both on his new city and his new teammates.   So far, he hasn't made a wrong move.     

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2019, 11:52:10 pm »
What does a certain Nationals relief pitcher, the poor guy, have in common with a classic television doctor? (Hint: it's his ERA this season thus far, alas.)

Answer:

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2019, 05:16:50 pm »
What does a certain Nationals relief pitcher, the poor guy, have in common with a classic television doctor? (Hint: it's his ERA this season thus far, alas.)

Answer:

Isn't he recovering from Tommy John surgery?  He'll be fine...physically.   Psychically?   Not so much!

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2019, 05:25:19 pm »
While I more than a bit concerned about the state of the Nationals' bullpen, I'm more concerned with Victor Robles getting picked off 3 times in 2 games.

Rendon is hitting .474, Gomes .308.  Eaton and Soto are each at .300 with Robles at .294.

A small sample size, to be sure.

...but it was against deGrom, Syndergaard, Nola,

Martinez needs to kick Robles in the ass.  His super agility and speed may have excited minor league fans, but "...Law Dog don't work 'round here". 

These kids at this level can catch.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2019, 05:30:32 pm »
Nola wasn't Nola yesterday afternoon.   And Robertson didn't even resemble a big league pitcher.   

I can't believe that play in the top of the eighth that almost nabbed Kingery at the plate.   That's as good a relay from dead center,  and as acrobatic a slide from Kingery, as I've ever seen.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2019, 05:45:24 pm »
Nola wasn't Nola yesterday afternoon.   And Robertson didn't even resemble a big league pitcher.  

I can't believe that play in the top of the eighth that almost nabbed Kingery at the plate.   That's as good a relay from dead center,  and as acrobatic a slide from Kingery, as I've ever seen.

LOL!  You're right!

One could see during the between innings warm-up pitches that Nola's were all 'flat' and looked fat.

Remember several years ago, watching a postseason game with my grandson, I said, "Joey Bats is going to hit one this inning.  Go bet your father".   We still laugh about it.

But isn't that the ages-old argument, @Jazzhead

Great pitchers are pitching great...until suddenly, everybody is squaring up on you.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2019, 06:16:03 pm »
Isn't he recovering from Tommy John surgery?  He'll be fine...physically.   Psychically?   Not so much!
@DCPatriot
He took off all last year recovering from the surgery.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2019, 05:34:59 pm »
Going to the Astro's home opener tonight against the A's

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2019, 11:54:18 pm »
Mariners 11 and 2 and breaking MLB records 12 games in including the most Homers in history. Someone pinch me. Who are these guys? 
With most of the team being new and not knowing each other, there is a joke that Staples has run out of Hello My Name Is stickers.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2019, 01:08:24 am »
Mariners 11 and 2 and breaking MLB records 12 games in including the most Homers in history. Someone pinch me. Who are these guys? 
With most of the team being new and not knowing each other, there is a joke that Staples has run out of Hello My Name Is stickers.

As an Astros fan, I can honestly tell you these guys will be lucky to be above .500 come season's end.  They just aren't that good. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2019, 02:55:16 am »
@Jazzhead

My NATS spanked them in Philly tonight!  15-1  And take the series.

Even Rosenthal got much needed work.   :laugh:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2019, 03:02:07 am »
Even Rosenthal got much needed work.   :laugh:
@DCPatriot
Three walks, a run, and a strikeout.

Brought his ERA down to a mere 72.00.

The poor sonofabitch. I really do feel for him.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2019, 03:07:26 am »
@DCPatriot
Three walks, a run, and a strikeout.

Brought his ERA down to a mere 72.00.

The poor sonofabitch. I really do feel for him.

"...that little sonofabitch is a millionaire!"

LOL!  He was probably "this" close to being put on a bus tomorrow.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2019, 03:10:30 am »
"...that little sonofabitch is a millionaire!"

LOL!  He was probably "this" close to being put on a bus tomorrow.
He might be a millionaire, but that doesn't mean you can't feel for a guy who opened the season with an infinite ERA, brings it down to a mere 72.00 ERA, and probably has no clue what's not working for him after spending all last year recovering from TJ surgery.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2019, 03:14:31 am »
He might be a millionaire, but that doesn't mean you can't feel for a guy who opened the season with an infinite ERA, brings it down to a mere 72.00 ERA, and probably has no clue what's not working for him after spending all last year recovering from TJ surgery.

That's why I"m saying that it was great to see him work with a FIFTEEN run lead with 3 outs to go.

His pitches were much sharper to left-handed batters.  Took him about 2 dozen pitches on that mound to find himself.

Like I said. One more chance....with a 10 run lead. :laugh: