Author Topic: BASEBALL 2019---LET'S DO IT!  (Read 46257 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Re: BASEBALL 2019---LET'S DO IT!
« Reply #300 on: July 31, 2019, 07:24:47 pm »
This just in: the Braves may have landed Shane Greene from the Tigers, pending medicals.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #301 on: July 31, 2019, 07:47:14 pm »
The Braves have, apparently, also traded for Mark Melancon of the Giants (relief pitcher) . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #302 on: July 31, 2019, 08:01:21 pm »
And, after reliever Joe Biagini pitched a scoreless inning against the Royals, the Jays traded him to the Astros . . .

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #303 on: July 31, 2019, 08:05:17 pm »
And, it looks like Madison Bumgarner, Zack Wheeler, and Felipe Vasquez are staying put.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #304 on: July 31, 2019, 08:16:21 pm »
Also, the Braves are looking to trade Luke Jackson for a stick of gum.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #305 on: July 31, 2019, 08:18:34 pm »
But it ALSO looks like Zack Greinke is . . . going to the Astros!

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #306 on: July 31, 2019, 08:22:40 pm »
But it ALSO looks like Zack Greinke is . . . going to the Astros!

For who?

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #307 on: July 31, 2019, 08:32:20 pm »
Also, the Braves are looking to trade Luke Jackson for a stick of gum.

@Polly Ticks
I didn't think he was worth that much.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #308 on: July 31, 2019, 08:33:01 pm »
For who?
For two righthanded pitchers---Corbin Martin and J.B. Bukauskas---plus first baseman Seth Beer and infielder Josh Rojas.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 08:34:06 pm by EasyAce »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #309 on: July 31, 2019, 09:13:21 pm »
This just in: Jayson Stark (now a Hall of Fame baseball writer) says the Greinke deal to the Astros got done when the trade deadline had four minutes left . . .

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #310 on: July 31, 2019, 09:22:40 pm »
For two righthanded pitchers---Corbin Martin and J.B. Bukauskas---plus first baseman Seth Beer and infielder Josh Rojas.

I've seen Corbin Martin.
He was called up on Mother's Day and did well.
A local boy, went to Texas A & M.
Had some rough outings, said there was an arm issue, and he went back down to triple A.
Seth Beer is pretty good, but I think when Gurriel retires, Yordan Alvarez is our 1st baseman.
Not familiar with the other 2.
Gotta admit, I didn't see this coming.
Zack Greinke will be 36 in October, so this look very much like a "lets go this year" type of move.
Lends more creedence to Gerrit Cole leaving next year, I think, depending on how long this deal is for.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #311 on: July 31, 2019, 09:23:47 pm »
This just in: Jayson Stark (now a Hall of Fame baseball writer) says the Greinke deal to the Astros got done when the trade deadline had four minutes left . . .

Just like the Verlander deal.
They can't seem to do this any other way....
(Hey, I should be thrilled, but as an Astros fan, I have to complain about something....)

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #312 on: July 31, 2019, 09:27:20 pm »

Verlander was traded at 11:59 p.m, back when the deadlines were at midnight.

Luhnow has the flair for the dramatic
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #313 on: July 31, 2019, 09:29:55 pm »
Just like the Verlander deal.
They can't seem to do this any other way....
(Hey, I should be thrilled, but as an Astros fan, I have to complain about something....)

JB and Seth Beer had excellent potential.  IMO their 3rd and 5th best prospects.  Tucker and Whitley stayed, and that is most important.

In the long run, I think the Dbacks will love this trade.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #314 on: July 31, 2019, 11:38:31 pm »
The NATS unbelievably signed Hunter Strickland.   They should let him wear Harper's number.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #315 on: August 01, 2019, 02:13:32 am »
The NATS unbelievably signed Hunter Strickland.   They should let him wear Harper's number.

Yeah, but it gives us another chance to laugh at this:

:laugh:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #316 on: August 01, 2019, 01:00:57 pm »
Just hours after the trade, Vegas odds makers made the Astros the favorite to win the World Series.

If only they played on paper........

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #317 on: August 01, 2019, 05:12:05 pm »
And so the strong get stronger.   

The new single trade deadline of July 31, coupled with the wild card only guaranteeing entry to a one-game playoff,  appear to have perversely combined to encourage the strong to get stronger.    The only clubs that made big deadline deals were division titans Houston and Atlanta, whose huge division leads make it worthwhile to fortify their rotations and  bullpen, respectively,  for the playoffs.   The dozen or more teams with mere wild card aspirations apparently don't believe it is worth the cost of valuable prospects if the benefit may be no more than one extra afternoon of baseball.

The result appears to be that the Astros may be the Golden State Warriors of MLB.   I'm not so sure that's a healthy development.  On the other hand, the most powerful teams in MLB history still lost a third of their games.   
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 05:13:49 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #318 on: August 01, 2019, 05:32:28 pm »
Just hours after the trade, Vegas odds makers made the Astros the favorite to win the World Series.

If only they played on paper........

Amen....

And on the downside, anything less than a WS victory will be considered an utter failure.  (Based on cost.)

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #319 on: August 01, 2019, 06:05:29 pm »
And so the strong get stronger.   

The new single trade deadline of July 31, coupled with the wild card only guaranteeing entry to a one-game playoff,  appear to have perversely combined to encourage the strong to get stronger.    The only clubs that made big deadline deals were division titans Houston and Atlanta, whose huge division leads make it worthwhile to fortify their rotations and  bullpen, respectively,  for the playoffs.   The dozen or more teams with mere wild card aspirations apparently don't believe it is worth the cost of valuable prospects if the benefit may be no more than one extra afternoon of baseball.

The result appears to be that the Astros may be the Golden State Warriors of MLB.   I'm not so sure that's a healthy development.  On the other hand, the most powerful teams in MLB history still lost a third of their games.   

@Jazzhead

Sour Grapes, man.

Didn't your team sign Bryce Whats-his-name for a gazillion dollars in the off season?

The Astros are in their 57th season.
It took them 43 years to reach the world series.
It took them another 12, 55 total years to reach the world series for a second time and to win their one and only so far.
Old owners like John McMullen and Drayton McClain put just enough stars on the roster to keep fans interested, but not many.
The list of Astros that left and went on to bigger and better things via trade and free agency is staggering, and would make a championship team, or one heckuva all-star team.
Now we finally have an owner willing to wheel and deal and sign extensions to his own all-star players.

The rich getting richer?
Did the Dodgers make any significant moves?
How about the Yankees?
Red Sox?
Cardinals?

I'd say they'd be the rich, both in tradition and finances.

Houston has now passed Philadelphia in both population and baseball talent.

:cool:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #320 on: August 01, 2019, 06:25:38 pm »
The new single trade deadline of July 31, coupled with the wild card only guaranteeing entry to a one-game playoff,  appear to have perversely combined to encourage the strong to get stronger.
Alas, though, without its Goliaths baseball's Davids have no one to slay.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #321 on: August 01, 2019, 06:34:55 pm »
Alas, though, without its Goliaths baseball's Davids have no one to slay.

Goliaths like a team that has been to the World Series 5 times since the Astros have been in business?
A Goliath that would sign  Bryce Harper, Jean Segura, Andrew McCutchen, David Robertson and J. T. Realmuto in the 2018 off-season?
You mean those Goliaths?

Oh, wait.....

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #322 on: August 01, 2019, 06:50:10 pm »
Goliaths like a team that has been to the World Series 5 times since the Astros have been in business?
A Goliath that would sign  Bryce Harper, Jean Segura, Andrew McCutchen, David Robertson and J. T. Realmuto in the 2018 off-season?
You mean those Goliaths?

Oh, wait.....
*laughing* Believe it or not, the Phillies are just outside the top ten 2019 major league payrolls. Here are the top ten, in descending order:

Red Sox---$226.9 million 2019 payroll. Trade deadline: Losers.
Cubs---$217.6 million 2019 payroll. Trade deadline: Non-factor.
Yankees---$217.1 million 2019 payroll. Trade deadline: Maybe the biggest loser. (They needed rotation help bad and didn't get it despite Marcus Stroman and, it turned out, Zack Greinke on the trading floor well before deadline day.)
Dodgers---$199.7 million 2019 payroll. Trade deadline: Maybe the second biggest loser.
Giants---$171.1 million 2019 payroll. Trade deadline: Stood pat on Bumgarner now that they're back in the wild card hunt. Neutral.
Astros---$168.8 million 2019 payroll. Trade deadline: Biggest winner.
Nationals---$165.8 million 2019 payroll. Trade deadline: Winner.
Cardinals---$163.6 million 2019 payroll. Trade deadline: Non-factor.
Angels---$159.1 million 2019 payroll. Trade deadline factor: Loser. (They were rumoured in play for Greinke, but that's all it was. They weren't the biggest losers, though.)
Mets---$158.9 million 2019 payroll. Trade deadline factor: Winner.

The Braves have the number 14 2019 payroll ($139.2 million) but might have been tied with the Nationals for the National League's biggest trade deadline winner with their bullpen fortifications. The Indians have the number 19 2019 payroll ($121.1 million) but until the Astros swooped in with the Zack Greinke deal the Tribe looked like the biggest winners of the trade deadline period; their three-way with the Reds and the Padres Tuesday night put the rocket fuel into deadline day.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 06:52:12 pm by EasyAce »

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #323 on: August 01, 2019, 06:59:14 pm »
@EasyAce
I had forgotten about the Angels payroll.
I remember the late 70's they were gathering up all-stars like Reggie Jackson and Fred Lynn.
Does the Autry family still have anything to do with the Angel's ownership?
Old Gene was worth a lot of money.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #324 on: August 01, 2019, 07:04:58 pm »
@EasyAce
I had forgotten about the Angels payroll.
I remember the late 70's they were gathering up all-stars like Reggie Jackson and Fred Lynn.
Does the Autry family still have anything to do with the Angel's ownership?
Old Gene was worth a lot of money.
@GrouchoTex
Gene Autry's widow, Jackie, sold the Angels to the Disney group in the late 1990s. Current owner Arte Moreno bought the Angels not long after they won the 2002 World Series. And Moreno's money makes the old Singing Cowboy look like a pauper.