Author Topic: BASEBALL 2019---LET'S DO IT!  (Read 46135 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Re: BASEBALL 2019---LET'S DO IT!
« Reply #275 on: July 28, 2019, 05:30:49 am »
BTW, from looking at your numerous articles, I came away with two observations: (1) You're Canadian (or were educated there or in some Commonwealth nation) . . .
@AllThatJazzZ
I have a little surprise for you: I'm a native New York Jew, born in the Bronx and raised there and in Long Beach on Long Island. (Today I am a Jew who believes in Jesus Christ as the promised Messiah, though I'm not a member of any such formal congregation of similar believers just yet.) I learned British English from an eighth-grade English teacher who took a particular liking to me and thought I had some potential with a pen. In due course I went to college and graduated . . . and I received an education in spite of it. 
wink777

My formal and informal concentrations were literature as a major with minors in political science and journalism. Asked once why I didn't major in journalism, I answered that other than the elemental courses in news writing, editing, and the like, I was getting better training for journalism as an Air Force intel analyst---including a full year on the old Strategic Air Command's daily intelligence watch at Offutt Air Force Base in Nebraska, where I also finished college (at the University of Nebraska at Omaha)---than I could possibly get in college or in a news internship.

(Any reporter who thinks daily deadlines in newspapers or radio are trying should have given that daily intel watch a pull, especially in the wee small hours of the morning when some lieutenant colonel in desperate need of a vacation would come blasting into our little shop every fifteen minutes or so on the brink of a nervous breakdown purring, "Dammit, the general doesn't know what he wants but he wanted it fifteen minutes ago!" Nothing in journalism ever seemed quite as trying after that!)

. . . and (2) You're a writing machine! You must be very disciplined. It's possible I could have been as prolific as you had I been disciplined enough to make the effort. By the time I sat down to write down all those profound or witty or casual thoughts I'd been collecting in my mind, they weren't there. Kudos to you for your writing skills and for your dedication to the craft.
Thank you for the kind words! As it happens, after my Air Force service I worked in regional daily newspapers, regional daily news radio, trade, and Internet journalism, in upstate New York, northern California, Louisville briefly, then southern California, before becoming what I am now and have been since I came to Las Vegas to live in 2007---a free-lance editor/writer (and blues guitarist).

I was plenty enough burned out on news before then, especially on too much of the phoniness in and around it, as it was. (You'd be amazed how much actual fake news gets ginned up at the regional level, away from the big media areas, too, and it takes a toll on people like me who simply had no stomach for that kind of fakery and not just in terms of regional government, law, and politics, either.) At long enough last, I began writing about the game I love in earnest during the early Aughts and I've stayed with it since. The free-lance life has allowed me to live the most stress-free life I've ever lived, and I'm grateful to God for every hour of it.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #276 on: July 28, 2019, 10:11:56 am »
After watching the two games vs. the Dodgers, it's painfully apparent that the NATS can't compete with the big boys.

...and that Davey Martinez is an idiot.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #277 on: July 28, 2019, 12:53:23 pm »
After watching the two games vs. the Dodgers, it's painfully apparent that the NATS can't compete with the big boys.

...and that Davey Martinez is an idiot.

@DCPatriot

Still think the Nationals go to the playoffs.

And as far as being competitive, I'll just painfully bring up the '98 Astros who beat up almost everyone up to playoff time.

The Astros were great that year, and positoned themselves well with one of the greatest midseason acquistion in Randy Johnson.  On paper, we, (outside the Yankees maybe)  were the best in baseball.

But as the old saying goes .....   you don't play it on paper, and we ran into a buzz saw named Kevin Brown, and the results sucked.  (3-1 NLDS loss to the Padres)

What i am leading up to is, you already have Scherzer.  Just one more pitcher getting red hot come October, just might give the Nationals a fightong chance, especially in a 5 game NLDS.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #278 on: July 28, 2019, 02:48:13 pm »
@DCPatriot

Still think the Nationals go to the playoffs.

And as far as being competitive, I'll just painfully bring up the '98 Astros who beat up almost everyone up to playoff time.

The Astros were great that year, and positoned themselves well with one of the greatest midseason acquistion in Randy Johnson.  On paper, we, (outside the Yankees maybe)  were the best in baseball.

But as the old saying goes .....   you don't play it on paper, and we ran into a buzz saw named Kevin Brown, and the results sucked.  (3-1 NLDS loss to the Padres)

What i am leading up to is, you already have Scherzer.  Just one more pitcher getting red hot come October, just might give the Nationals a fightong chance, especially in a 5 game NLDS.
@catfish1957
Starters rarely go into the 8th inning today.   The NATS' bullpen can't get anybody out.

Anybody have little boys?   Teach them to throw a baseball from the mound to the plate at 95mph with control.

"Instant" millionaires...you'll never have to work another day in your life.   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #279 on: July 28, 2019, 10:16:23 pm »
Stephen Strasburg pitches a jewel against Walker Buehler. The Nats win, 11-4. Adam Eaton and skipper Dave Martinez get tossed for arguing a strike call on which a) Eaton thought he had ball four and was halfway up the first base line; b) every replay I saw of the pitch showed it should have been called ball four; and, c) Martinez hustled out trying to protect his player and he got thrown out. All in the first inning.

Breaking news: Marcus Stroman of the Blue Jays is traded to the Mets. Whom the Mets are sending the Jays isn't yet revealed. The Mets are doing this mostly for 2020 since Stroman has one more year of team control and the Mets might consider extending him before his current deal expires. It also means, likely, that at least Zack Wheeler is going to have a change of address with Stroman joining the Mets rotation. More to come . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #280 on: July 29, 2019, 06:11:04 pm »

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #281 on: July 29, 2019, 07:48:39 pm »
Absolutely.

Does Luhnow make a trade dealine deal? 

My sources say that all the prime targets are wanting suitors to empty the farm.  I'm hedging he tweaks at the most, and no blockbusters
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #282 on: July 29, 2019, 10:12:43 pm »

My sources say that all the prime targets are wanting suitors to empty the farm.  I'm hedging he tweaks at the most, and no blockbusters

I know there's a July 31 deadline coming up and that players will be moving here, there and everywhere, but I don't know what @catfish1957's post actually means. Can anyone put that in layman's English so I can understand?

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #283 on: July 29, 2019, 11:09:30 pm »
I know there's a July 31 deadline coming up and that players will be moving here, there and everywhere, but I don't know what @catfish1957's post actually means. Can anyone put that in layman's English so I can understand?
@AllThatJazzZ
It means he thinks that

a) if the Astros want to acquire a player, that player's team may demand a nice haul out of the Astros' solid minor league system; or,
b) if the Astros want to move a player, they may want a good haul back from another team's minor league system.

I'm not sure the Astros need much of anything except maybe one pitcher who can start in a pinch and work out of the bullpen, but that's just my observation. Overall they're in immaculate shape for another postseason run. And I can't think of anyone off the top of my head right now whom they'd want to move.

But as one-time Astros pitcher Joaquin Andujar once said, "In baseball, there's just one word: you never know." There's still a lot of time between now and the trade deadline Wednesday afternoon, so who knows what GM Jeff Luhnow may or may not be thinking between now and then . . .

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #284 on: July 30, 2019, 12:54:06 am »
@AllThatJazzZ
It means he thinks that

a) if the Astros want to acquire a player, that player's team may demand a nice haul out of the Astros' solid minor league system; or,
b) if the Astros want to move a player, they may want a good haul back from another team's minor league system.

How did you do that?! It's like you translated text from a foreign language into English. I read what @catfish1957 wrote about four times and could never come up with the meaning.

@AllThatJazzZ
I'm not sure the Astros need much of anything except maybe one pitcher who can start in a pinch and work out of the bullpen, but that's just my observation. Overall they're in immaculate shape for another postseason run. And I can't think of anyone off the top of my head right now whom they'd want to move.

Music to my ears. I'm with you about the pitching. I'll be watching how it plays out this year. Last year I was just getting my feet wet in baseball. This year I'm really trying to learn as much as I can about the game.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #285 on: July 30, 2019, 05:22:11 pm »
How did you do that?! It's like you translated text from a foreign language into English. I read what @catfish1957 wrote about four times and could never come up with the meaning.

Music to my ears. I'm with you about the pitching. I'll be watching how it plays out this year. Last year I was just getting my feet wet in baseball. This year I'm really trying to learn as much as I can about the game.
@AllThatJazzZ
Situation update: MLB Trade Rumours says reliably that the Astros are going all-in to try landing Mets pitcher Zack Wheeler. So does The Athletic's Ken Rosenthal. The Astros seemingly stand to lose two starting pitchers (Wade Miley and Gerrit Gole) to free agency this fall, not to mention half a bullpen (Will Harris, Hector Rondon, Collin McHugh, and Joe Smith), but Wheeler makes sense for them only a) to solidify their postseason run this year; and, b) if they think they can sign him longer term.

Wheeler wouldn't cost the Astros much because as good as their farm system is some of their pitching talent were injured or regressed on the farm this year, so GM Luhnow may not have the leverage he'd need to go after a major league pitcher who's under team control for longer than the rest of this season, someone like Robbie Ray (Arizona; under contract through the end of the 2020 season) or Noah Syndergaard (Mets; under contract through the end of 2021). But there could still be a surprise.

Right now, these are the top pitchers on the trade market with Marcus Stroman gone to the Mets and Madison Bumgarner likely off the market with the Giants yanking themselves back into the races: Syndergaard, Wheeler, Edwin Diaz (Mets reliever, though the rumours include that the Red Sox are hot for him and might even be willing to surrender Andrew Benintendi in a trade), Mike Minor (Rangers starter), Shane Greene (Tigers starter), Matthew Boyd (Tigers starter), Felipe Vasquez (Pirates reliever), Ken Giles (Blue Jays reliever having a resurgence in Toronto until his elbow started to bark; if the Jays think about moving him as part of their rebuild they may have to wait until after the season), Craig Stammen (Padres reliever), Daniel Hudson (Jays reliever, and the word is that at least one team, the Nationals, was thinking about trying to land Giles and Hudson in a package to bolster their pen behind Sean Doolittle until Giles' elbow issue re-flared), and Mike Leake (Mariners starter).

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #286 on: July 30, 2019, 05:32:51 pm »

I still think they would like one more in the starting rotation, but the cost may be too high, as you have mentioned.
They still have a good farm system, but they have depleted it some, with trades they've made the last few years.
A lot of teams seem to be interested in Kyle Tucker.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #287 on: July 30, 2019, 06:19:37 pm »
Trade alert: At 12:40 Central time MLB Trade Rumours reported the Astros are actually talking to the Giants about Madison Bumgarner---who's supposedly not that much on the market with the Giants looking now like they have a wild card run in them yet. The 'Stros may still be all-in trying to land the Mets' Zack Wheeler while preferring to land more controllable pitchers like Robbie Ray, but just that they're "discussing" about Bumgarner adds to the stew. Unless something drastic changes, the Astros are liable to pull the trigger on landing a pitcher before tomorrow afternoon's trade deadline.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #288 on: July 30, 2019, 09:04:21 pm »
Trade alert: At 12:40 Central time MLB Trade Rumours reported the Astros are actually talking to the Giants about Madison Bumgarner---who's supposedly not that much on the market with the Giants looking now like they have a wild card run in them yet. The 'Stros may still be all-in trying to land the Mets' Zack Wheeler while preferring to land more controllable pitchers like Robbie Ray, but just that they're "discussing" about Bumgarner adds to the stew. Unless something drastic changes, the Astros are liable to pull the trigger on landing a pitcher before tomorrow afternoon's trade deadline.

Just as long as the names "Whitley and Tucker" are out of those discussion.   

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #289 on: July 30, 2019, 10:10:35 pm »
Just as long as the names "Whitley and Tucker" are out of those discussion.
Nobody's said yet what the Giants would ask of the Astros in any Bumgarner deal, assuming the Giants are still listening to offers.

Meanwhile, another rumour has the Angels casting eyes back upon Zack Greinke . . .

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #290 on: July 31, 2019, 05:11:58 pm »
@catfish1957
Meanwhile, for the second straight season the Astros bring catcher Martin Maldonado aboard, getting him from the Cubs for Tony Kemp. Apparently, the Cubs weren't kidding about getting Maldonado from the Royals two weeks ago: he really was there to hold down the fort until Willson Contreras returned from an injury. Maldonado has a spaghetti bat but he's terrific defensively and with pitching staffs. Guess the Astros missed him more than they thought they would.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #291 on: July 31, 2019, 05:15:37 pm »
@catfish1957
Meanwhile, for the second straight season the Astros bring catcher Martin Maldonado aboard, getting him from the Cubs for Tony Kemp. Apparently, the Cubs weren't kidding about getting Maldonado from the Royals two weeks ago: he really was there to hold down the fort until Willson Contreras returned from an injury. Maldonado has a spaghetti bat but he's terrific defensively and with pitching staffs. Guess the Astros missed him more than they thought they would.

And Tony will do wonders for the Cubs!

Win Win!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #292 on: July 31, 2019, 05:24:13 pm »
@catfish1957

That was an area in need of an upgrade.
Chirinos is older and Stassi isn't the answer.
Maldonado isn't young, either, but will upgrade the position for the stretch run.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #293 on: July 31, 2019, 05:36:00 pm »
Observation:
While anything can still happen in the next few hours, none of the current front runners have made any blockbuster moves.
No Yankees, Twins, Astros, Dodgers, RedSox, Tampa bay, Nationals, etc.
The biggest moves have been made by the Mets and Reds.
Can you imagine having a Puig and a Bauer in the same clubhouse?
Yikes!
Correction: I just read (thanks @EasyAce) that Puig was dealt to Cleveland in the trade for Bauer.

On the Astros front:

A lot of dynamics here. I think if they get someone, it will be a loaner, not long term.
Why?
Gerrit Cole will most likely be gone after this year.
Stupid money, about 300 million, has been talked about with for him.
The Astros still will make a run at him, and he likes it here, but the price will be too high.
They've extended Bregman and Altuve's contracts, look for them to do this with Correa and Springer, who would become free agents after 2020.
Won't leave a ton of money for a free agent.
All is not lost.
McCullers should be back from Tommy John surgery, and a lot of pitchers have improved from where they prior to the surgery.
Also, locking down Altuve, Bregman and (hopefully) Springer, Correa, and Alvarez you have a good team for 5+ years.
That is still a powerful line up.
You would just have to fill in the missing pieces around them, as required, and the Astros do very well at scouting players, both up and coming and established players.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 05:38:33 pm by GrouchoTex »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #294 on: July 31, 2019, 05:50:46 pm »
@catfish1957

Wasn't Maldonaldo the one with the pass ball meltdown a while back?  Sight upgrade anyway from Stassi.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #295 on: July 31, 2019, 05:52:55 pm »
Observation:
While anything can still happen in the next few hours, none of the current front runners have made any blockbuster moves.
No Yankees, Twins, Astros, Dodgers, RedSox, Tampa bay, Nationals, etc.
The biggest moves have been made by the Mets and Reds.
Can you imagine having a Puig and a Bauer in the same clubhouse?
Yikes!
Correction: I just read (thanks @EasyAce) that Puig was dealt to Cleveland in the trade for Bauer.

On the Astros front:

A lot of dynamics here. I think if they get someone, it will be a loaner, not long term.
Why?
Gerrit Cole will most likely be gone after this year.
Stupid money, about 300 million, has been talked about with for him.
The Astros still will make a run at him, and he likes it here, but the price will be too high.
They've extended Bregman and Altuve's contracts, look for them to do this with Correa and Springer, who would become free agents after 2020.
Won't leave a ton of money for a free agent.
All is not lost.
McCullers should be back from Tommy John surgery, and a lot of pitchers have improved from where they prior to the surgery.
Also, locking down Altuve, Bregman and (hopefully) Springer, Correa, and Alvarez you have a good team for 5+ years.
That is still a powerful line up.
You would just have to fill in the missing pieces around them, as required, and the Astros do very well at scouting players, both up and coming and established players.

Add the fact, we have a sound farm system, and among the best GM's......    I think we will be competitive for some time.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #296 on: July 31, 2019, 06:03:00 pm »
Wasn't Maldonaldo the one with the pass ball meltdown a while back?  Sight upgrade anyway from Stassi.

Yes, for all his defensive prowess he showed in the regular season, he did lose in the playoffs, against the Red Sox.

I don't know what happened, maybe he was just wore out from the long season, I don't know.
Uncle Charlie Morton and Lance McCullers throw a lot of curve balls, and all of a sudden, Maldonado couldn't block low curves.

You could even see A.J. Hinch hollering at him during a mound visit.
Can't read lips real well, but I did make out the words "Block" and "Plate" pretty clearly.

Maybe just a slight upgrade, but Maldonado has at least played good defense.
Who knows, maybe this will be his chance to redeem himself.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #297 on: July 31, 2019, 07:10:15 pm »
@catfish1957
@GrouchoTex
@DCPatriot

The latest from the trading floors and other matters . . .

* The Yankees' medical parade continues with Luke Voit facing sports hernia surgery. He's not expected back until "well into September," according to manager Aaron Boone.

* The surrealistic three-way between the Indians, the Reds, and the Padres barely settled in when the Reds sent pitcher Tanner Roark and cash (to cover most of Roark's salary) to the Athletics for a minor league player Wednesday.

* Noah Syndergaard's terrific outing against the White Sox Tuesday night pretty much pulled him off the trading floor for the Mets, who might still think about moving Zack Wheeler (starter) and Edwin Diaz (reliever). The Yankees and the Braves were thought still interested in Wheeler as of 11:30 Pacific time today. The Astros and the Rays are also still in the mix of teams talking to the Mets about Wheeler.

* The Nationals' bid to remodel their season-long-dubious bullpen (behind closer Sean Doolittle) got a bump when they landed Daniel Hudson from the Blue Jays for Kyle Johnston (prospect), and added Roenis Elias from the Mariners while they were at it.

* Barely half an hour after nailing Hudson and Elias, the Nationals dealt for . . . Hunter Strickland, the former Giant renowned for carrying almost three-year-old grudges and doing something about them at Nats' expense. (Shame Bryce Harper isn't a Nat anymore. P.S. The brawl Strickland set off by hitting Harper helped put paid to Michael Morse's career after his collision with Jeff Samardzjia.) The Nats sent the Mariners Aaron Fletcher.

* The Phillies dealt for Pirates outfielder Corey Dickerson, looking to fortify for a last-ditch stretch run without sacrificing heavy prospects. Dickerson homered twice in the Tuesday night game against the Reds---and those bombs were almost forgotten when the scrum heard 'round the world (thanks to Reds outfielder Yasiel Puig being traded to the Indians during the game) broke out in the ninth.

* There's word as I write that the Brewers and the Giants have a big deal in the making but that it may not involve Madison Bumgarner after all.

* Tigers reliever Shane Greene may be going to the Braves. May.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 07:13:34 pm by EasyAce »

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #298 on: July 31, 2019, 07:16:02 pm »
@EasyAce

Well, there is still 45 minutes left....

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #299 on: July 31, 2019, 07:24:19 pm »
More trade news---the Cardinals traded infielder Jedd Gyorko (prounounced "jerko," the poor guy) to the Dodgers.