Author Topic: BASEBALL 2019---LET'S DO IT!  (Read 46155 times)

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
Re: BASEBALL 2019---LET'S DO IT!
« Reply #150 on: June 26, 2019, 05:01:33 pm »
Anybody else having trouble accessing the All Star Starters ballot?

I'm guessing the server is just overloaded since voting just opened up in the last hour.  Will have to try again later ...

I don't know, I stopped voting when they changed it from those punch cards you got at the ballparks....

:shrug:

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #151 on: June 26, 2019, 05:05:47 pm »
I don't know, I stopped voting when they changed it from those punch cards you got at the ballparks....

:shrug:

My local AAA team still has punchcards for Ballpark Bingo.  Maybe you could get a quick fix that way.   :laugh:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EdJames

« Reply #152 on: June 26, 2019, 05:12:48 pm »
My local AAA team still has punchcards for Ballpark Bingo.  Maybe you could get a quick fix that way.   :laugh:

:laugh:

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #153 on: June 27, 2019, 04:37:56 pm »
@GrouchoTex
@EasyAce

As I newbie to MLB, I find that there are so many things I don't understand -- not the least of which (but not limited to) the farm system. Drafts. Trades. Etc. Plus, quirky rules, certain strategies. So many questions come to mind as I watch my Astros, but there's no one to ask. Can either of you direct me to a site/video that explains all the aspects of MLB so I can enjoy the experience of being a baseball fan to the fullest?

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #154 on: June 29, 2019, 04:42:32 pm »
@GrouchoTex
@EasyAce

As I newbie to MLB, I find that there are so many things I don't understand -- not the least of which (but not limited to) the farm system. Drafts. Trades. Etc. Plus, quirky rules, certain strategies. So many questions come to mind as I watch my Astros, but there's no one to ask. Can either of you direct me to a site/video that explains all the aspects of MLB so I can enjoy the experience of being a baseball fan to the fullest?
@AllThatJazzZ
One thing you can do it search for the MLB rule book. It's just about all over the Net now.

Another thing: hunt out some of the books by the like of Rob Neyer, Thomas Boswell, Bill James, Roger Angell (one more time: he isn't baseball's Homer, Homer was ancient Greece's Roger Angell); and, such Websites as MLBTradeRumours.com, Baseball Reference, ESPN, NBC Sports's MLB coverage, and MLB.com itself.

The most important thing: watch as many games as you can!

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline EdJames

« Reply #155 on: June 29, 2019, 05:01:04 pm »
My grandsons watch a ton of instructional/coaching videos on YouTube, have to see if I can find some of the channels....  great way to learn a lot about the game...

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #156 on: June 29, 2019, 05:13:11 pm »
I had the pleasure of taking my son and his girl friend to an Angels game Thursday night, his graduation present. (He graduated Friday from a special pre-college program for disabled students in southern California.) When they start announcing the Angels' starting lineup, the PA system plays this vintage record (with the vocals edited out, but it's still a kick) . . .

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #157 on: June 29, 2019, 05:26:01 pm »
@AllThatJazzZ
One thing you can do it search for the MLB rule book. It's just about all over the Net now.

Another thing: hunt out some of the books by the like of Rob Neyer, Thomas Boswell, Bill James, Roger Angell (one more time: he isn't baseball's Homer, Homer was ancient Greece's Roger Angell); and, such Websites as MLBTradeRumours.com, Baseball Reference, ESPN, NBC Sports's MLB coverage, and MLB.com itself.

The most important thing: watch as many games as you can!

@EasyAce

Thanks for responding. I have done some of the things you suggested, but I find that there's a certain baseball-speak that is used by many who are steeped in the knowledge of the game that whiz right past us novices. Even so, I'm tapping into sites, reading articles, Googling stuff and watching videos as much as possible. I listen to our announcers (love them!) as they call the game, but there's still much that goes over my head or leaves me with additional questions.

Regarding watching as much baseball as I can -- I have perfect attendance for the Astros regular-season games this year, all from the comfort of my couch. In a perfect world, I'd have a baseball geek to watch those games with who could answer the myriad of questions that pop up in my mind.

Again, thanks for the time and recommendations. I'll be sure to look into them. 

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #158 on: June 29, 2019, 07:12:54 pm »
@GrouchoTex
@EasyAce

Jazz, as a fellow Astros fan, if you have any game questions, feel free to PM me. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #159 on: June 29, 2019, 10:56:36 pm »
@EasyAce

Thanks for responding. I have done some of the things you suggested, but I find that there's a certain baseball-speak that is used by many who are steeped in the knowledge of the game that whiz right past us novices. Even so, I'm tapping into sites, reading articles, Googling stuff and watching videos as much as possible. I listen to our announcers (love them!) as they call the game, but there's still much that goes over my head or leaves me with additional questions.
@Jazzhead
I've been watching and loving baseball ever since I was six years old---when my maternal grandfather took me to the old Polo Grounds to see the Original Mets. (Yes, considering that team and its comic calamity, there may be those who'd have considered doing that child abuse. But everything you may ever have heard about them is absolutely true: it was like Abbott pitching to Costello, with the four Marx Brothers covering the infield [I don't recall for dead last certain but I think Groucho's on first, Harpo's on second, Chico's on third, and Zeppo in the I-don't-give-a-darn position), the Three Stooges in the outfield, the Harlem Globetrotters in the bullpen, the Keystone Kops on the bench, and Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton on the coaching lines.) Lots of teams have sucked? The Original Mets sucked . . . with style.

So, yes, I have been a Met fan since the day they were born (rumour has it that lifelong Met fans are eligible for disability benefits, but I have yet to see that confirmed) and a Boston Red Sox fan since the 1967 pennant race. (These were the ancient days when man's imagination ranneth not to the concept of more than three major networks, one public television network, a couple of indie networks in the second string---in my New York is was DuMont's successor Metromedia on Channel 5, WOR-TV on Channel 9who just so happened to carry the Mets---and WPIX, Channel 11, in those years the Yankees' station---and UHF, on which you could pick up out-of-area stations if the currents were right, and in 1967 I was picking up so many Red Sox games as they surprised one and all but getting into the pennant race for keeps that I became a fan.) Would you like to see my class-A drug bills from October 1986?

Don't let baseball-speak unnerve you. As you learn it and master it, you will discover two things: 1) It's a glorious language, when 2) it isn't overrun by cliches that actually injure as much as instruct. (I wrote about baseball's language recently.)

Some of the books in the baseball half of my home library include:

Roger Angell, Five Seasons, Late Innings, Season Ticket, Once More Around the Park, and Game Time. Splendid anthologies of the New Yorker essays that ultimately made him the first non-newspaper or daily baseball writer to be inducted into the writers' wing of the Hall of Fame.

Allen Barra, Clearing the Bases and Brushbacks and Knockdowns---Two collections of Barra's exquisitely logical self-instigated debates on assorted baseball questions. (Including a classic argument that the answer is: He said ninety percent of the game is mental and the other half is physical, with the question being, Who was the single greatest team player in baseball and in any sport in the 20th Century?)

Thomas Boswell, How Life Imitates the World Series, Why Time Begins on Opening Day, The Heart of the Order, Game Day, and Cracking the Show---Anthologies of the third best baseball columnist of the 20th Century who's still pretty sharp.

David Claerbaut, Durocher's Cubs: The Best Team That Didn't Win---A splendid analysis of why the 1969 Cubs blew the National League East in divisional play's first year.

Wayne Coffey, They Said It Couldn't Be Done---An equally splendid analysis of why the 1969 Mets didn't blow the NL East . . . and went all the way to a surreal World Series triumph.

Robert W. Creamer, Stengel: His Life and Times; and, Steven Goldman, Forging Genius: The Making of Casey Stengel---Two books that tell you everything you need to know to debunk any lingering sentiment that just anyone could have managed and won with the 1949-1960 Yankees. And neither book neglects Stengel the character, either.

Jay Jaffe, The Cooperstown Casebook---The single best analysis I've ever read (and you'll ever read) of the Hall of Fame.

William C. Kashatus, September Swoon---How and why the 1964 Phillies blew the pennant they had in their hip pockets and then never really contended again for the rest of the 1960s. Also recommended: Kashatus's biography of Dick Allen, those Phillies' most controversial and completely misunderstood player.

Ring Lardner, Lardner on Baseball and The Lost Journalism of Ring Lardner---Gathers his classic and forgotten (but imperative) baseball writing.

Keith Law, Smart Baseball; and, Brian Kenny, Ahead of the Curve---The two best books I've ever read about sabermetrics and advanced baseball analysis.

Jane Leavy, Sandy Koufax---The best biography you'll ever read about a pitcher who lived up to his legend on the mound and was (and is) an even better man off it.

Rob Neyer, Rob Neyer's Big Book of Baseball Blunders---The single best gathering of some of the game's classic foul-ups, bleeps, blunders, and boners. (And we don't mean Merkle's Boner, either . . . )

George Plimpton, One for the Record---Plimpton's classic account of Henry Aaron's pursuit of and passing Babe Ruth on the all-time home run list.

Shirley Povich, All Those Mornings at the Post---Posthumous anthology of the second-best baseball columnist of the 20th Century.

Michael Shapiro, Bottom of the Ninth: Branch Rickey, Casey Stengel, and the Daring Scheme to Save Baseball From Itself---The story of Rickey's bid to form a third major league after the Dodgers and Giants left New York, and how it had ramificatoins for baseball well into the future.

Red Smith, Red Smith on Baseball---Posthumous collection anthologising perhaps the best baseball columnist of the 20th Century.

Neil J. Sullivan, The Dodgers Move West; and, Michael Shapiro, The Last Good Season---The real story of the Dodgers' leaving New York, and it wasn't just Walter O'Malley on a gold rush, either.

Jason Turnbow, Dynastic, Bombastic, Fantastic---The best book you'll ever read about Charlie Finley and the 1970s Oakland Athletics.

Tom Verducci, The Best of Tom Verducci---An anthology of perhaps Sports Illustrated's best contemporary baseball writer.

George F. Will, Men at Work, Bunts, and A Nice Little Place on the North Side---The first is Will's dive into the inner workings of baseball, those who play and manage it, and the minds behind it; the second, a collection of the baseball columns he wrote to break up the monotony of covering such lesser pursuits as politics and government; the third, his love letter to Wrigley Field on its centenary. (He grew up a Cub fan, the poor soul.  wink777 Bunts includes the two columns that would ultimately be mashed up into the much-anthologised "The Chicago Cubs, Overdue.")

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #160 on: July 01, 2019, 02:08:58 pm »
@GrouchoTex
@EasyAce

@AllThatJazzZ

I like Roger Angell and Thomas Boswell a lot.

The acronyms for all of the statistics have gotten way out of hand, in my opinion.
There are a lot of new ones that have come up in the last decade or so.
I have to still use google to figure out what they are referring to.

The trade rules can be tricky, but here are some basics to that:

A player, in his 1st 3 years in the major leagues, has to take the money the ball club offers him, which could be (and oftentimes is) the league minimum.
Years 4 to 6, the player can accept a contract offer or go to arbitration.
That's where the club picks a number and so does the player, and an arbitrator picks one or the other offer put forth, and that's binding.
After year 6, a player becomes a free agent, and can sign with any team that wants them.
That last bit I can remember off the top of my head is the 10-and-5 rights.
A player who has been in the league 10 years, the last 5 of them being with the same team, can veto any trade that he doesn't agree with, and remain with the ball club his is currently with.

Lastly, I think once you start figuring out the strategies and nuances, you'll be hooked.
I think it a wonderful game, our glorious pastime.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #161 on: July 02, 2019, 04:13:34 am »
Jazz, as a fellow Astros fan, if you have any game questions, feel free to PM me.

Thanks, @catfish1957. I think I'll take you up on your kind offer.

@Jazzhead
I've been watching and loving baseball ever since I was six years old...

...the much-anthologised "The Chicago Cubs, Overdue.")

Wow, @EasyAce! You're a baseball-writing machine! Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check into them.

P.S. I'm still not Jazzhead. Maybe my tagline's too subtle?  :seeya:

@AllThatJazzZ

I like Roger Angell and Thomas Boswell a lot.

The acronyms for all of the statistics have gotten way out of hand, in my opinion.
There are a lot of new ones that have come up in the last decade or so.
I have to still use google to figure out what they are referring to.

The trade rules can be tricky, but here are some basics to that:

A player, in his 1st 3 years in the major leagues, has to take the money the ball club offers him, which could be (and oftentimes is) the league minimum.
Years 4 to 6, the player can accept a contract offer or go to arbitration.
That's where the club picks a number and so does the player, and an arbitrator picks one or the other offer put forth, and that's binding.
After year 6, a player becomes a free agent, and can sign with any team that wants them.
That last bit I can remember off the top of my head is the 10-and-5 rights.
A player who has been in the league 10 years, the last 5 of them being with the same team, can veto any trade that he doesn't agree with, and remain with the ball club his is currently with.

Lastly, I think once you start figuring out the strategies and nuances, you'll be hooked.
I think it a wonderful game, our glorious pastime.

@GrouchoTex

I see that I have much to learn. Thanks for your input. Feel free to post whatever info that pops into your mind. BTW, I'm already hooked. Here's a text exchange I had with my son-in-law who lives in the L.A. area and is a season ticket holder for the Dodgers. We had some fun smack-talking during the 2017 World Series. I was only watching because getting to the World Series was a much-needed boost for the entire Southeastern Texas Gulf Coast area after the horrible events of Harvey. Having my SIL to banter with just added to the fun. Here's an excerpt from our texts after the win:

Nov. 1, 2017
Me: I won’t be watching anymore baseball after tonight unless the Astros manage to go to the WS again. It’s not my game. The reason it matters so much this years is because (1) we actually made it to the WS, and (2) the devastating year Houston has been (is still going) through.

SIL: I get it. But I’m a baseball guy. No other sport even matters to me for watching except cricket. It’s all about bat and ball for me.

Me: I know how that feels. I was lost after football season was over, but now I’ve weaned myself off football.

And here's my text to him a few months later:

March 28, 2018
Me: I’m deciding if I want to be a baseball fan. You seem to enjoy it so much, and I had a great time watching last year’s post-season games, especially those last seven! There are an awfully lot of games to keep up with, though. I’ll be watching tomorrow and see how long that lasts. Knowing me, I’ll probably be planning my days around MLB games. Oh, well, it’s not like I actually have a social life so what the hey! Go Astros!

And as predicted, I'm now planning my days around the games. Perfect attendance so far in 2019. Kinda lost when there are off days like today. I think it's safe to say that I'm hooked.  :yowsa:
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 04:15:49 am by AllThatJazzZ »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #162 on: July 02, 2019, 05:57:19 am »
Wow, @EasyAce! You're a baseball-writing machine! Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check into them.

P.S. I'm still not Jazzhead. Maybe my tagline's too subtle?  :seeya:
Damn I can't believe I made that mistake!  :beer:

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #163 on: July 02, 2019, 02:52:04 pm »
@AllThatJazzZ

Right after Harvey, The first Astros homestand was against the Mets, who had the unfortunate luck of one of their starting pitchers being named Harvey during that series.
@EasyAce has written an article about him.
I think he started on a Saturday, but I do remember he got rocked pretty good.
My wife and I went to the ballpark on Sunday, a game we won as well.

Yes, the Astros World Series win was a wonderful remedy for a city torn up by Harvey.
Let's hope it doesn't take floods, hurricanes, famine, drought or pestilence to get us to the next one!

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #164 on: July 02, 2019, 02:53:56 pm »
And as predicted, I'm now planning my days around the games. Perfect attendance so far in 2019. Kinda lost when there are off days like today. I think it's safe to say that I'm hooked

@AllThatJazzZ

LOL, I can relate.
I wasn't sure what to do with myself last night, with the Astros having an off day.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #165 on: July 03, 2019, 12:41:03 pm »
Excellent list of baseball books,  @EasyAce      I have to add one more  - The Glory of Their Times, by Lawrence Ritter.    An early example of oral history,   Ritter interviewed many of the greats of the deadball era and assembled a truly enchanting panorama of how it all was a hundred years ago - and not so much different than it is today.

Baseball is the best sport in part because of its history.    The greats of yesteryear could compete with the greats of today,  and the records and accomplishments of Cobb and Mathewson can and are compared with the feats of Altuve and Bregman.   Like jazz,  that other great American contribution to the Meaning of Life,  it is that continuum and respect for what came before that lies at the heart of so many fans' obsession with the greatest game.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #166 on: July 07, 2019, 02:45:27 am »
NOTICE!!  NOTICE!!  NOTICE!!

If you ever get the chance, get yourself and your children to go and see Max Scherzer when the NATS' pitcher is starting.

....Thank Yewwwww!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 02:46:35 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #167 on: July 07, 2019, 03:17:14 am »
NOTICE!!  NOTICE!!  NOTICE!!

If you ever get the chance, get yourself and your children to go and see Max Scherzer when the NATS' pitcher is starting.

....Thank Yewwwww!

I probably won't ever be able to do that, but I didn't mind watching Gerrit Cole shut out the Angels tonight.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #168 on: July 07, 2019, 03:36:13 am »
Any Rangers fans here? I have a cousin in North Texas who is not able to watch their games that are on any channel other than their local Fox. She's on satellite, but I don't know which one.

Except for the occasional local Fox broadcast, I'm able to watch all Astros games on ATTSW which is on the basic, no-bells-or-whistles cable package. How does all that work in the various markets? Why can't my cousin watch the Rangers games without a special sports package?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 03:37:36 am by AllThatJazzZ »

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #169 on: July 08, 2019, 06:14:35 pm »
I probably won't ever be able to do that, but I didn't mind watching Gerrit Cole shut out the Angels tonight.

Whew, how about that 5 hour, 11-10, 10 inning game yesterday?

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #170 on: July 08, 2019, 06:25:58 pm »
Bryce Harper vs. Juan Soto at the AS Break...

BRYCE HARPER: Ranked 57th in the NL  $33 MILLION PER YEAR FOR TEN YEARS   http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/_/id/30951/bryce-harper

His replacement at NATS Park, JUAN SOTO: Ranked 12th in the NL  $578,300 PER YEAR currently ... http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/_/id/36969/juan-soto

The Lerner family has proven to be geniuses for letting that Diva walk away.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #171 on: July 08, 2019, 07:52:44 pm »

@GrouchoTex

I was exhausted, physically and emotionally. It was one of the wildest game I've seen in my entire year-and-a-half career of being a rabid Astros fan. :pop41: I learned a lot about strategies, etc., listening to Berkman explaining things to the kids.

The collision was upsetting in numerous ways. That it happened. That Jake has been demonized. That baseball is a tough game but the umps can woosify if they want to. Yes, I'm a newcomer, but I can't see a way to keep such collisions from happening when you have a fast-moving ball and a fast-moving runner headed for a base at any point in the game. Someone, please tell me where I'm wrong.

How did you hold up? Did you watch it all?

Offline EasyAce

« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 08:15:51 pm by EasyAce »

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #173 on: July 08, 2019, 08:14:31 pm »

On the forum I particpate in, the bigger debate is around the Lucroy v. Marsinick collision.   
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #174 on: July 08, 2019, 08:18:11 pm »
@GrouchoTex

I was exhausted, physically and emotionally. It was one of the wildest game I've seen in my entire year-and-a-half career of being a rabid Astros fan. :pop41: I learned a lot about strategies, etc., listening to Berkman explaining things to the kids.

The collision was upsetting in numerous ways. That it happened. That Jake has been demonized. That baseball is a tough game but the umps can woosify if they want to. Yes, I'm a newcomer, but I can't see a way to keep such collisions from happening when you have a fast-moving ball and a fast-moving runner headed for a base at any point in the game. Someone, please tell me where I'm wrong.

How did you hold up? Did you watch it all?

I think is going to get a suspension, based on the wussifcation of baseball trending and the Posey rule.  I have watched the collision at least 10 times, and still ask .....   When a backstop TOTALLY BLOCKS the plate.....   What is a baserunner supposed to do?