Author Topic: BASEBALL 2019---LET'S DO IT!  (Read 45614 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: BASEBALL 2019---LET'S DO IT!
« Reply #125 on: June 09, 2019, 10:35:31 pm »
Geez...I'm feeling concerned for ex-NAT reliever Craig Stammen

Pitches the top of the 8th inning in a 1-1 tied game   (NATS vs PADRES)

Kendrick homered to left (421 feet)   2-1
Turner homered to center (425 feet)  3-1
Eaton homered to center (402 feet)   4-1
Rendon homered to right (391 feet)   5-1

Hope they put him on suicide watch or something.  Seriously. 

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #126 on: June 10, 2019, 03:18:21 am »
Geez...I'm feeling concerned for ex-NAT reliever Craig Stammen

Pitches the top of the 8th inning in a 1-1 tied game   (NATS vs PADRES)

Kendrick homered to left (421 feet)   2-1
Turner homered to center (425 feet)  3-1
Eaton homered to center (402 feet)   4-1
Rendon homered to right (391 feet)   5-1

Hope they put him on suicide watch or something.  Seriously.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
One story I saw says shot in leg, another, this one, "shot in back"... hopefully, he can turn out okay. Big Papi:

David Ortiz: Former Boston Red Sox star shot in back in Dominican Republic

Boston Red Sox legend David Ortiz was shot in the back in the Dominican Republic on Sunday, police say.

The three-time World Series champion, 43, is recovering after surgery, the Red Sox said in a statement.

"David's family has confirmed that he sustained a gunshot wound to the lower back/abdominal region," it added.

"We have offered David's family all available resources to aid in his recovery and will continue to keep them in our hearts."   

Read more at: https://www.bbc.com/sport/baseball/48578907

BNO (Breaking News Online):

BREAKING: David Ortiz has undergone surgery and his life is no longer in danger

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1137922513592299521

See link, there appears to be a vague video of showing when this situation in a bar broke out:
https://twitter.com/BNONews

So, this already transpired some hours ago.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 06:41:01 am by TomSea »

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #128 on: June 10, 2019, 12:39:04 pm »
Yordan Alvarez had his first MLB start for the Astros Yesterday, at DH.
He hit a 2 run shot to the gas pump, located above the 404 sign.
Left field.
He did it batting left-handed.
he had 23 HR's and was hitting .343 at Triple A Round Rock when he was called up.
 :cool:

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
One story I saw says shot in leg, another, this one, "shot in back"... hopefully, he can turn out okay. Big Papi:
BNO (Breaking News Online):

See link, there appears to be a vague video of showing when this situation in a bar broke out:
https://twitter.com/BNONews

So, this already transpired some hours ago.
Apparently, Ortiz was ambushed and shot in the back by a young man on a motorcycle who was subsequently sort of ambushed himself by some of the Dial Bar and Lounge crowd and underwent surgery to remove part of his intestine, part of his colon, and his gall bladder.

Red Sox legend Ortiz stable after shooting in DR

This was the last occasion I had to write about Ortiz before his retirement:

"Let me wear this uniform one more day!"
12 October 2016

Both American League Championship Series combatants get there by way of division series sweeps. For the Indians, it had to be a little extra special to get there by sweeping the Red Sox.

Twelve years ago, Indians manager Terry Francona managed an entirely different club of Red Sox to the Promised Land the franchise hadn't seen since a kid named Ruth was in the starting rotation.

That was then: Francona's charges had to figure out a way to keep an entirely different gang of Yankees from sweeping them out of the ALCS when they were down to their last out. This is now: His Indians — who haven't seen the Promised Land since the Truman Administration — will have to figure out ways to keep the Blue Jays' bats quiet and arms at bay.

It wasn't supposed to be that simple against the Red Sox, was it? Even as youthful as they'd become?

But who could bargain that the formidable Red Sox youth corps who'd all but carried the Olde Towne Team to the postseason in the first place, pocketing the American League East to get there, would finally run out of fuel?

As adroitly as Francona shepherded his Indians, especially his bullpen, Red Sox manager John Farrell turned out to have his hands full with young players getting their first tastes of postseason play and a grand old man, who'd meant so much to the franchise's championship revival for three World Series rings worth, finally spent by the time the postseason arrived.

Rookie left fielder Andrew Benintendi had a decent first trip, going 3-for-9 overall, but all three hits came in Game One, including a solo home run to lead off the third and give the Red Sox a 2-1 lead that lived for exactly that half inning — before the Tribe hit three homers in a sequence of four plate appearances in the bottom of the inning, before Francona answered a too-close 4-3 Indians lead by going to Andrew Miller when starter Trevor Bauer was spent in the fifth.

But Mookie Betts, a young sprout and a Most Valuable Player award candidate, finished 2-for-10 in the series and found himself struggling to adjust when he realised the Indians plan was to keep pitches out of his reach. Fellow young sprout Jackie Bradley, Jr. struck out in seven of his first nine at-bats and had only one hit all series long, a single to right in the Game Three ninth.

And Xander Bogaerts, first seen in 2013 in brief flashes including in the World Series, finished the set 3-for-12 overall, seeming to spend most of his plate time trying to find the target on sliders all over the place.

The homegrown Red Sox trio learned the hard way that your first trip to the postseason can turn into your worst nightmare.

"It's a great experience, a lot of pressure," said Bogaerts, whose brief 2013 Series sightings weren't quite the equal of being thrown full tilt into the postseason fire. "But we have to learn how to control it, how to think in that moment. Just not overthinking a lot of stuff. Just trying to be in the moment and being focused."

Veteran second baseman Dustin Pedroia, who'd been there/done that himself, concurred. "I think the tough part is you play every day during the year and then you have a few days off," he told reporters about the young trio's initiation. "You wait different times between games. It just throws you out of whack. I think they didn't know what to expect out of that because it is different. It's hard to get into a rhythm."

Manager John Farrell, who shepherded the 2013 Series winner, gets it.

"There's been a lot of conversation for the first-year guys, for the guys going through it for the first time, and not just with the staff but with their teammates," he told reporters. "But there's the old adage: You can't replace experience. There's a different feel to it. The fact that we had three days down, a later [Game One] start, five guys in our lineup being their first postseason, there were some things that were firsts, and I'm sure that lent to swinging at far too many pitches below the zone and above the zone."

"Now we kind of know what to expect," said Betts, rather thoughtfully, when the sweep was finished. "It's going to be really important in the years going forward. We'll know what to expect and how to handle adversity and how to go about the games and whatnot. It's going to definitely be a positive."

Attitudes like that should carry this coming generation of Red Sox back to postseason contention next year and for several seasons to come. But they'll miss the big man.

David Ortiz won't be retiring as a World Series champion. He won't even see one more American League Championship Series. He'd never admit it, but just maybe, as much fun as it might have been for him to bask in the farewell tributes other Show teams gave him in his final season, it finally wore him down.

His final plate appearance? A four-pitch walk from Indians closer Cody Allen. It triggered an eighth-inning rally that put Fenway Park on gleeful edge for awhile, at least to the extent that Hanley Ramirez moved him to second as the potential tying run with a bullet single to left. Then Bogaerts lined out just as sharply to Indians second baseman Jason Kipnis, one of the Tribe's Game 1 bombardiers.

He got a final round of twenty-one guns from the Fenway faithful when it was over and the Red Sox were going on winter vacation. And loved it. Tipping his cap, he tried to keep a stone face but his tears betrayed the effort.

"Those moments, they are always going to be special. They are always going to stay with you," said the man who left Red Sox Nation with about a hundred times more special moments. "I've been trying to hold my emotions the best I can, but that last second I couldn't hold it no more."

"He's helped us in so many ways," Pedroia said. "We wanted to win the World Series and send him out the way we all wanted to, but that didn't happen."

He'll have to step into the next part of his life without a fourth World Series ring. But Ortiz knows how blessed he's been in baseball terms. Most never get a single Series ring, never mind the love of a city that Ortiz has known.

And he left the younger Red Sox something, too. In the Game Three sixth, with the Indians up 4-1 and Pedroia on third, Ortiz battled Miller, who's become the Indians' relief star this postseason thus far. The big left-handed slugger wrestled the big left-handed lancer and finally hit a low-flying line drive to center field. Indians sub centerfielder Rajai Davis caught it practically at his knee.

It was enough to send Pedroia home with the second Boston run. If only it could have been more. When he came off the field for a pinch runner in the eighth, he was heard to holler at his teammates, "Put me back in it! Let me wear this uniform one more day!"

They tried with two gone in the ninth. Bradley singled and Pedroia wrung out a walk off Indians closer Cody Allen, but Travis Shaw wrung a full count for naught as he flied out modestly to right field.

So Ortiz settled for telling the younger team he would now depart to be proud of having gone from last to first in the AL East on the regular season and build on it. Even if he wasn't going to be there. Except maybe in spirit.

Then, he settled for one more bath of Fenway Park love on a night it seemed to hurt Red Sox Nation less to lose the division series in a sweep to a remarkable club of Indians than to realize the big man with the big heart who often held Boston's hand when the city needed him most (This is our f@cking city! he bellowed to a city bludgeoned by the Boston Marathon bombing) and wanted him best.

And Francona, who'd never dismiss the meaning of the two World Series rings to which he managed the Red Sox, rings he'd never have won without Big Papi, is probably telling his own youthful enough Indians that right there was the example of what you might do when the rest of the world has its doubts. The Indians will need a big shot of that going forward now.

Speedy recovery, Big Papi. And justice for the bastard who ambushed and shot you in the back.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #130 on: June 10, 2019, 09:16:39 pm »
Lighting a candle in front of my Baby Jesus....that the Yankees sweep the Mets in their series starting tonight.

NATS are 'only' 7 games back.

SHUT UP, DC!!!

22222frying pan

DC          Baseball Gods
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #131 on: June 16, 2019, 07:21:23 pm »
Cheese n' crackers....  are the damned Atlanta Braves possessed or what??     :laugh:

@Polly Ticks

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #132 on: June 16, 2019, 08:42:34 pm »
Cheese n' crackers....  are the damned Atlanta Braves possessed or what??     :laugh:

@Polly Ticks

@DCPatriot
If they are, I sincerely hope nobody calls for the priest to perform an exorcism.   :laugh:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline FeelNoPain

• Could have ended QAnon with a tweet.
« Reply #133 on: June 16, 2019, 09:02:03 pm »
@DCPatriot
If they are, I sincerely hope nobody calls for the priest to perform an exorcism.   :laugh:

Watching the Phillies get violated by the Braves...Dayum!

No team has haunted my life like the Braves. Just a well run organization since I can remember.

Atlanta Delenda Est.
"I’d like to begin by addressing the heinous attack on the United States Capitol. Like all Americans I am outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem...

To demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol: you have defiled the seat of American democracy. To those who engage in the acts of violence and destruction: you do not represent our country. And to those who broke the law: you will pay." - President Donald J. Trump, January 7th, 2021

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #134 on: June 16, 2019, 09:20:26 pm »
Watching the Phillies get violated by the Braves...Dayum!

No team has haunted my life like the Braves. Just a well run organization since I can remember.

Atlanta Delenda Est.
@FeelNoPain
Was hoping that the series would be at least...SPLIT.   My NATS can at least tread water...but the Braves are HOT!

Offline FeelNoPain

« Reply #135 on: June 16, 2019, 09:46:48 pm »
@FeelNoPain
Was hoping that the series would be at least...SPLIT.   My NATS can at least tread water...but the Braves are HOT!

Phils are not hitting for power and their starting pitching is weak. Bullpen stinks, too, but at least I can blame that on injuries.

I wanted them to sign Keuchel. So, of course, the Braves get him.  9999hair out0000

Oh well, hopefully Bryce can talk Tony Two Bags into joining him in Philly next year.   :whistle:
"I’d like to begin by addressing the heinous attack on the United States Capitol. Like all Americans I am outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem...

To demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol: you have defiled the seat of American democracy. To those who engage in the acts of violence and destruction: you do not represent our country. And to those who broke the law: you will pay." - President Donald J. Trump, January 7th, 2021

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #136 on: June 16, 2019, 11:08:16 pm »
Phils are not hitting for power and their starting pitching is weak. Bullpen stinks, too, but at least I can blame that on injuries.

I wanted them to sign Keuchel. So, of course, the Braves get him.  9999hair out0000

Oh well, hopefully Bryce can talk Tony Two Bags into joining him in Philly next year.   :whistle:

If it makes you feel any better, a lot of Braves fans are still upset that we didn't manage to get Kimbrel back home in Atlanta...
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #137 on: June 16, 2019, 11:28:41 pm »
If it makes you feel any better, a lot of Braves fans are still upset that we didn't manage to get Kimbrel back home in Atlanta...
@Polly Ticks
You want Kimbrel forcing the Braves to keep on-call crash carts in the postseason---for the players as much as the fans?  wink777

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline FeelNoPain

« Reply #138 on: June 16, 2019, 11:33:24 pm »

Yes, it does. Thanks for that. lol

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #139 on: June 16, 2019, 11:46:42 pm »
@Polly Ticks
You want Kimbrel forcing the Braves to keep on-call crash carts in the postseason---for the players as much as the fans?  wink777

Yes, but have you noticed how many runs our current closer, Luke Jackson, has given up lately?  We're in a great position overall due to the offensive production, but we definitely have bullpen/closer issues we need to solve.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #140 on: June 16, 2019, 11:47:25 pm »
Yes, it does. Thanks for that. lol

My pleasure.  I'm just happy to make the acquaintance of another baseball fan!
 :beer:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #141 on: June 17, 2019, 12:13:24 am »
Yes, but have you noticed how many runs our current closer, Luke Jackson, has given up lately?  We're in a great position overall due to the offensive production, but we definitely have bullpen/closer issues we need to solve.
@Polly Ticks
Yes, you do, but I don't think Kimbrel would have been the answer for you. Good luck to the Cubs signing him.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #142 on: June 17, 2019, 01:22:55 am »
@Polly Ticks
Yes, you do, but I don't think Kimbrel would have been the answer for you. Good luck to the Cubs signing him.

I hear you - I wasn't convinced, either.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #143 on: June 18, 2019, 02:08:11 am »
Oh, how Casey Stengel would have loved this one: bottom of the fifth, two out in St. Louis. The Marlins have the overshift on to the right against Matt Carpenter, lefthanded hitter. Carpenter bunts one to the third base side. Compels the Marlins pitcher to run after the ball . . . all the way to the grass in short left field. Carpenter made it to second standing up. "It'll be the shortest double of his career!" crows a Cardinals announcer. Imagine Stengel: " Now there's this fella Carpenter, he hits those beautiful home runs sometimes when he's not making the pitcher cover the whole exterminated left side of the infield . . . "

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #144 on: June 18, 2019, 02:39:13 pm »
@Polly Ticks

Yep, we saw him collapse against the Astros.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 04:43:36 pm by GrouchoTex »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #145 on: June 18, 2019, 03:36:08 pm »
Yep, we saw him collapse agains the Astros.
Cardiac Kimbrel was the perfect illustration of what's wrong with the save rule in the last postseason: You tell someone he has a 6.74 ERA in the 2018 postseason and they come back with, "He had six saves!!" Somehow, getting credit for six saves while putting his team on a high wire almost every time he took the mound last postseason just isn't my idea of the guy you want to bring in from the pen when the Promised Land is really on the line and you need a stopper like five minutes ago, or when you have a chance to nail the game down tight shut.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #146 on: June 20, 2019, 02:12:21 am »
OMG!   NATS sweep a double-header from the Phillies!

Max Scherzer 117 pitches in 7 shutout innings...with a broken nose yesterday trying to bunt in batting practice.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #147 on: June 22, 2019, 02:11:50 am »
The BRAVES/NATS game was sensational!  4-3 NATS.

Robles comes out of nowhere to snag the final out and his and Suerro's celebration.... reliever almost threw out his back!

My heart!!!!         :thud:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 02:23:42 am by DCPatriot »

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #148 on: June 24, 2019, 05:43:02 pm »
Astros snapped a 7 game losing streak yesterday.

:amen:

In his first 12 games, Yordan Alvarez has hit 7 home runs and has 16 RBI.
No one in the history of MLB has done this in 12 games before.
He still leads the AAA Pacific Coast League in Home Runs, and he hasn't played there in 2 weeks!

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #149 on: June 26, 2019, 04:59:08 pm »
Anybody else having trouble accessing the All Star Starters ballot?

I'm guessing the server is just overloaded since voting just opened up in the last hour.  Will have to try again later ...