Author Topic: BASEBALL 2019---LET'S DO IT!  (Read 45605 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: BASEBALL 2019---LET'S DO IT!
« Reply #100 on: May 21, 2019, 09:30:21 pm »
You could always focus on the Orioles!!   :laugh:

8888crybaby

:laugh:

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #101 on: May 21, 2019, 10:26:05 pm »
:cool:
I still wonder if any pitchers have yet mastered the snowball.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #102 on: May 22, 2019, 04:01:27 am »
...while my NATS are sucking Fat Lady's A**.

DCP...

At least seeing Harper batting .229 and 63K's at the quarter pole ought to give you somewhat of a smile. :cool:

(I love the smell of the burning of a 1/4 of billion dollars in the morning.)
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #103 on: May 22, 2019, 04:19:03 am »
DCP...

At least seeing Harper batting .229 and 63K's at the quarter pole ought to give you somewhat of a smile. :cool:

(I love the smell of the burning of a 1/4 of billion dollars in the morning.)

Ain't THAT the truth??    :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #104 on: May 23, 2019, 04:14:58 am »
Anthony Rizzo channels his inner Roy Hobbs in Wrigley Field . . . (watch the 'd' in the Budweiser sign atop the right field bleachers' scoreboard . . . )

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #105 on: May 23, 2019, 03:59:36 pm »
White Sox beat the Astros 9-4 last night.
Odd thing, the White sox hit a grand slam and had a triple play against the Astros.
I don't believe I've ever seen both of them in the same game before.
Not live, anyway.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #106 on: May 24, 2019, 09:38:00 pm »
Lucas Giolito and the White Sox shut out the Astros last night.
I don't like seeing the Astros lose, let alone shut out, but Giolito was on.
I had been hearing about him but this was the first time I had seen him.
Last year, he looked like a bust, but he has turned it around now, so far.

I read an article that said he dropped his sinker for a 4 seam fastball, throwing it elevated.
The thought being that he'd get more outs with it in the era of launch angle baseball, and it has worked.
The second thing they say he changed was moving to the 1st base side of the rubber.
Previously, he stood roughly in the middle.
Jake Arrieta and Blake Snell both did this, and we know how well they can pitch now.

It just shows how simple thing can mean a lot in baseball.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #107 on: May 27, 2019, 05:43:02 pm »
Hot take: Whenever Matt Adams of the Nationals checks in at the plate in a home game, the Nationals Park organist plays the theme from the original television version of The Addams Family . . . if he hits a home run, maybe they should play the sound of the gong and Lurch purring, "You rang?"

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #108 on: May 27, 2019, 06:07:18 pm »
Idle thought: matching baseball players to comic book heroes.

Easy match---the Fantastic Four. You'd have Willie (Stretch) McCovey as Reed Richards, Frank Howard as The Thing, and this year's Nationals bullpen (minus Sean Doolittle) taking turns as the Human Torch. You'd have to reach back to the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League for the Invisible Girl, but my money's on pitcher Olive Little.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #109 on: May 27, 2019, 06:24:56 pm »
Idle thought: matching baseball players to comic book heroes.

Easy match---the Fantastic Four. You'd have Willie (Stretch) McCovey as Reed Richards, Frank Howard as The Thing, and this year's Nationals bullpen (minus Sean Doolittle) taking turns as the Human Torch. You'd have to reach back to the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League for the Invisible Girl, but my money's on pitcher Olive Little.

Why.... I oughta.....    :bullie smokin:

:beer:

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #110 on: May 29, 2019, 06:01:54 pm »
Carlos Correa, out 4-6 weeks, broken ribs
George Springer, out, probably a month, hamstring issue.
Jose Altuve, on rehab from hamstring issue, had his knee he had off-season surgery on flare up with "fatigue and soreness", unknown how long he will be out.
Aledmys Diaz, Altuve's back up, out with hamstring issue.
Max Stassi, #2 catcher, out with hamstring issue
Collin McHugh, out with an elbow issue.
Of course, Lance McCullers Jr., starts off the year with Tommy John surgery and will not be back until next year.

Last night, the Astros fielded a line up with 4 guys on it who started the year in Triple A Round Rock.
They beat the Cubs, 9 to 6, mainly off of 2 Alex Bregman Home runs, who was playing DH last night.

The Astros are deep. but c'mon now!
You can't lose everybody!

Brantley, Bregman, Gurriel, Reddick , and a Marisnick, who found his stroke, do have enough firepower to keep them going, but for how long?

Marisnick has been impressive in the outfield.

2/3 of the earth is covered in water,

The other 1/3 is covered by Jake Marisnick.

:cool:
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 06:11:05 pm by GrouchoTex »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #111 on: May 29, 2019, 06:07:22 pm »
Last night, the Astros fielded a line up with 4 guys on it who started the year in Triple A Round Rock.
They beat the Cubs, 9 to 6, mainly off of 2 Alex Bregman Home runs, who was playing DH last night.

The Astros are deep. but c'mon now!
You can't lose everybody!
@GrouchoTex
Unfortunately, says whom? The Astros are discovering what the Yankees already have---the only thing harder to overcome than a knee-trembling forkball is the injured list. Theoretically, they could end up in an American League Championship Series that'll be nicknamed St. Elsewhere.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #112 on: May 29, 2019, 06:12:38 pm »
@GrouchoTex
Unfortunately, says whom? The Astros are discovering what the Yankees already have---the only thing harder to overcome than a knee-trembling forkball is the injured list. Theoretically, they could end up in an American League Championship Series that'll be nicknamed St. Elsewhere.

I've added a few things to my original post.
Yes, both may just be deep enough to face off in the post-season.
May.....

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #113 on: May 30, 2019, 04:12:13 am »
I've added a few things to my original post.
Yes, both may just be deep enough to face off in the post-season.
May.....

Did you see the report that Correa's rib fracture injury was allegedly from  a massage?   WTF!?!?!?!?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 04:13:29 am by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #114 on: May 30, 2019, 12:25:16 pm »
Did you see the report that Correa's rib fracture injury was allegedly from  a massage?   WTF!?!?!?!?

Yeah, I heard that last night.
Sounds made-up, or maybe just weird enough to be true, but I have my doubts.

Could there be a malpractice suit brought on by the Astros management for a message therapist injuring one of their players?
I don't know.

If they can be and are not sued, I'd say it is bogus.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #115 on: June 04, 2019, 08:41:55 pm »

Quote from: NavyCanDo on April 10, 2019, 07:54:18 PM
Mariners 11 and 2 and breaking MLB records 12 games in including the most Homers in history. Someone pinch me. Who are these guys? 
With most of the team being new and not knowing each other, there is a joke that Staples has run out of Hello My Name Is stickers.

As an Astros fan, I can honestly tell you these guys will be lucky to be above .500 come season's end.  They just aren't that good.

Since that 11-2 start the M's have gone 14-36....   (25-38 to date, and have the 6th worst record in MLB)
Just goes to show how fortunes change on a dime in this game.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #116 on: June 04, 2019, 09:03:44 pm »
Sometimes they change on a nickel.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #117 on: June 04, 2019, 09:52:02 pm »
Quote from: NavyCanDo on April 10, 2019, 07:54:18 PM
Mariners 11 and 2 and breaking MLB records 12 games in including the most Homers in history. Someone pinch me. Who are these guys? 
With most of the team being new and not knowing each other, there is a joke that Staples has run out of Hello My Name Is stickers.

Since that 11-2 start the M's have gone 14-36....   (25-38 to date, and have the 6th worst record in MLB)

Crazy, right.
The Astros are now 41-20, with one half of their team on the field from triple A Round Rock.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #118 on: June 04, 2019, 10:19:23 pm »
Geez...my NATS are like the "Noise in the Trunk"...Billy Batts.   

I'm not superstitious....nope....not at all.      *****rollingeyes*****   

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #119 on: June 05, 2019, 03:35:26 am »
Geez...my NATS are like the "Noise in the Trunk"...Billy Batts.   

I'm not superstitious....nope....not at all.      *****rollingeyes*****

@DCPatriot

Your Nats are 8-2 in their last 10, and on a roll.  I also think they are maybe the best "underperformer" this year thus far. 

They're only 6 back of WC2 position, so I sure wouldn't count them out yet.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #120 on: June 05, 2019, 03:40:32 am »
Crazy, right.
The Astros are now 41-20, with one half of their team on the field from triple A Round Rock.

First line of business Luhnow....   Ban messages.   :cool: 

BTW, did you see where the Yankees are the team that very likely going ot sign Keuchel? 

Of course, his agent Bora$$ says he is "mid season game ready".  :silly:

If Cashman believes that sack of sh__, he's a bigger fool that I ever thought.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #121 on: June 05, 2019, 12:44:33 pm »
First line of business Luhnow....   Ban messages.   :cool: 

BTW, did you see where the Yankees are the team that very likely going ot sign Keuchel? 

Of course, his agent Bora$$ says he is "mid season game ready".  :silly:

If Cashman believes that sack of sh__, he's a bigger fool that I ever thought.

I did see that on the news last night, that the Yankees are interested in Kuechel.
"Mid season ready?"
Unlikely.
I'd bet Kuechel still won't make anything near what Kuechel thinks he's worth.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #122 on: June 06, 2019, 01:46:36 am »
Breaking news: Craig Kimbrel may have signed a deal with the Cubs.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #123 on: June 06, 2019, 04:07:23 am »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #124 on: June 06, 2019, 04:36:29 am »
@DCPatriot

Your Nats are 8-2 in their last 10, and on a roll.  I also think they are maybe the best "underperformer" this year thus far. 

They're only 6 back of WC2 position, so I sure wouldn't count them out yet.

9-2 in their last eleven.

:bolt: