Author Topic: Obituaries for 2019  (Read 106394 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Obituaries for 2019
« Reply #1150 on: November 22, 2019, 11:26:56 pm »
For Michael J. Pollard, I had to look up his filmography, famous for Bonnie and Clyde. Here are his other appearances:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0689488/

Some famous shows, Lucy, The girl from UNCLE, Gunsmoke.

Offline berdie

« Reply #1151 on: November 22, 2019, 11:35:30 pm »
It's funny, but I too have a hard time thinking of actors from years ago as being old.  Have to slap myself and realize that the movie Bonnie & Clyde is about 50 or so years old.  I remember seeing it at the local movie house when I was a teenager, much to Mom's disapproval.  She thought it was too violent for a youngster like me.  LOL

Anyway, rest in peace, Mr. Pollard.

I understand. Most of everything I watch is old. So when I see the actors today it shocks me.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #1152 on: November 25, 2019, 01:15:53 am »
@TomSea

Good riddance to Communist scum. He should have died decades ago.

Thich Nhat Hanh part of the Paris Peace Talks maybe?

Anyway, here is more on this "Thich Tri Quang"... who is the Monk that passed:

Radio Free Asia

I'll leave it at that, the story from a UPI writer who met him once gives some commentary on his life:

Sounds like Thich Tri Quang went through some severe imprisonment with the Communists.

I don't watch that much teebee as @sneakypete  , but sometimes per holiday time, they drag out some good movies to see. Hanoi Hilton is going to be shown and I'll watch that. I have seen it at least one time before.  It's not an action picture but it's okay.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1153 on: November 25, 2019, 01:25:25 am »

I don't watch that much teebee as @sneakypete  , but sometimes per holiday time, they drag out some good movies to see. Hanoi Hilton is going to be shown and I'll watch that. I have seen it at least one time before.  It's not an action picture but it's okay.

@TomSea

You owe it to yourself to watch Shameless and Breaking Bad. Trust me on this.  You can now watch all seasons of Shameless for free if you subscribe to the right services,and most seasons of Shameless. Breaking Bad ended a few years ago,but Shameless is back for year 9,and I suspect this is the last year. Frank can only do so much screwing up before he runs out of new mistakes. The episode where his mother is released from prison early because she is dying,and she teaches her 9 year old grandson how to cook meth in the basement "because the boy is 9,and needs to learn a trade" is one of my favorite episodes. IIRC,that is also the episode where she makes Frank into a total bitch and her personal servant. He even makes him use a hair drier to dry off her pubes after unirnating. Frank is such a scum-sucker himself,it makes you want to cheer for her.  BTW,William H. Macey plays Frank.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #1154 on: November 25, 2019, 08:15:31 am »
Gahan Wilson, Vividly Macabre Cartoonist, Dies at 89
His work — seen in National Lampoon, Playboy, The New Yorker and other magazines — was full of visual surprises and black humor.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/22/arts/gahan-wilson-dead.html

I loved his work, very weird and twisted...................like me!

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1155 on: November 25, 2019, 11:58:06 am »
Last surviving Mount Rushmore carver dies at 98

he last surviving carver of the Mount Rushmore monument passed away at the age of 98 this weekend.

Donald “Nick” Clifford was 17 when he joined a team of 400 men to carve the memorial. Clifford has been the last living carver for 12 years.

https://www.newscenter1.tv/last-surviving-mount-rushmore-carver-dies-at-98/

Can't find a link to it right now, but our local news said Mr. Clifford in his later years used to spend summers at Mt. Rushmore talking to tourists and answering their questions. 

Rest in peace, Mr. Clifford. 

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1156 on: November 25, 2019, 02:18:37 pm »
I loved Gahan Wilson!  I used to see his cartoons all the time in The National Lampoon.  I haven't seen anything from him in a few decades.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #1157 on: November 25, 2019, 03:45:59 pm »
I loved Gahan Wilson!  I used to see his cartoons all the time in The National Lampoon.  I haven't seen anything from him in a few decades.
Well I to be honest fell in love with his cartoons in Playboy and then bought as many of his collections, sadly lost to water damage. While I grew out of Playboy, sorry bad phrasing, I continued to enjoy the work of Gahan's mind.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1158 on: November 25, 2019, 10:37:05 pm »
RIP, Mr. Wilson! And thank you for the laughs!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1159 on: November 26, 2019, 12:38:02 am »
Gahan Wilson, Vividly Macabre Cartoonist, Dies at 89
His work — seen in National Lampoon, Playboy, The New Yorker and other magazines — was full of visual surprises and black humor.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/22/arts/gahan-wilson-dead.html

@GtHawk

Never met him,but I'm sure gonna miss him.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #1160 on: November 29, 2019, 05:01:58 am »
BNO News
@BNONews
Former Japanese Prime Minister Yasuhiro Nakasone, who was well-known for his close relationship with then-U.S. President Ronald Reagan, has died at age 101 - NHK

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1200260821030453248

Offline TomSea

« Reply #1161 on: November 29, 2019, 12:48:57 pm »
Brad Gobright: Free solo climber falls to his death

A world-renowned American free solo climber has died attempting to descend the side of a cliff face.

Brad Gobright, 31, fell around 300m (1,000 ft) to his death in El Potrero Chico in northern Mexico.

His companion, fellow climber Aidan Jacobson, 26, fell a shorter distance and survived with injuries.

Read More At: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50592646

Video of him climbing  Yosemite El Capitan... yes, I know people say, this is somewhat self-inflicted because he chose to perform this dangerous act. That's actually very true.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1162 on: November 29, 2019, 01:07:24 pm »
Video of him climbing  Yosemite El Capitan... yes, I know people say, this is somewhat self-inflicted because he chose to perform this dangerous act. That's actually very true.

@TomSea

The number one cause of death is life. We are all going to die,and even worse,most of us will become feeble both mentally and physically feeble before we breathe our last breath,so enjoy your life while you can.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1163 on: November 29, 2019, 06:01:22 pm »
It may seem counterintuitive, but climbing down is more dangerous than climbing up.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline TomSea

« Reply #1164 on: November 29, 2019, 06:20:58 pm »
@Smokin Joe  @sneakypete

The two men were simul-rappelling - a technique where two climbers descend opposite strands of an anchored rope, with their bodies acting as counterweights to each other - with an 80m rope, the Outside website reports.

This part was interesting, they were balancing each other out. It must be something elite climbers do.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 07:04:17 pm by TomSea »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #1165 on: November 29, 2019, 07:11:09 pm »
I had seen Zion Canyon before, however a few years I took my wife. Theyhad natural gas powered tour busses, to take you from the parkingarea, into the canyon.

You can ride or get off when you want and use the trail.

So we are riding at first and the  guide says "see the black dots on the canyon wall above?"

Those are climbers spending the night, sleeping in hammocks anchored to the wall.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1166 on: November 30, 2019, 04:45:42 am »
@Smokin Joe  @sneakypete

This part was interesting, they were balancing each other out. It must be something elite climbers do.
It lets them each descend roughly 120 ft. and recover the rope for the next step. Apparently, whatever anchored the rope at the top let go, came out of the crack, failed, whatever, and they both free fell. One was fortunate enough to land on a ledge and stay there, the other not so lucky.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1167 on: November 30, 2019, 04:59:31 am »

Well, yes and no... He was not free-soloing when the accident occurred.
But equally insane is having both partners on the rope during an action.
So yeah - hot-dogging makes you dead.

And to your broader point, there are no old free-soloists.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1168 on: November 30, 2019, 05:02:39 am »
It may seem counterintuitive, but climbing down is more dangerous than climbing up.

It can be - one has 100% commitment to the protection during a rappel... The rope and the harness (and the biners, ATC and etc), not to mention the anchor point(s) can all fail at any point... Which is why old climbers figure out how to employ redundancies.

What kills people most of all is complacency.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1169 on: November 30, 2019, 05:06:59 am »
So we are riding at first and the  guide says "see the black dots on the canyon wall above?"

Those are climbers spending the night, sleeping in hammocks anchored to the wall.

That is a trip. Don't expect to sleep very well. it is spooky. Much better to anchor on a cleft or ledge... Especially for your morning um... constitutional... Which is another thing that must be carefully negotiated on a big wall.   :whistle:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1170 on: November 30, 2019, 05:11:17 am »
It lets them each descend roughly 120 ft. and recover the rope for the next step. Apparently, whatever anchored the rope at the top let go, came out of the crack, failed, whatever, and they both free fell. One was fortunate enough to land on a ledge and stay there, the other not so lucky.

Very bad idea. The same could be accomplished using a slingshot method, with one partner descending, anchoring (independent of the rope) on belay, till the second descends, and then pull the rope through and reset.

What they were doing is dead on stupid.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1171 on: November 30, 2019, 06:39:52 pm »
Seymour Siwoff, longtime Elias Sports Bureau owner, dies at 99

Seymour Siwoff, the statistics maven who turned the Elias Sports Bureau into the place to go for exact information on teams and athletes for more than a half-century, died Friday. He was 99.

Siwoff owned Elias for more than 70 years before selling it to his grandson in March 2018. He started as an accountant in 1938 and purchased the company in 1952.

Elias was started in 1913 by brothers Al Munro Elias and Walter Bruce Elias and became official statistician of baseball's National League in 1919. It is now the official statistician for MLB, NFL, NBA, WNBA, MLS and the NBA G-League . . .

My tribute is here:

Seymour Siwoff, RIP: Look it up
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 06:49:52 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1172 on: December 01, 2019, 11:59:46 am »
Irving Burgie, Songwriter of Calypso Hit 'Day-O,' Dies at 95

Composer Irving Burgie, who helped popularize Caribbean music and co-wrote the enduring Harry Belafonte hit "Day-O (The Banana Boat Song)," has died at the age of 95.

At the Barbados Independence Day Parade on Saturday, Prime Minister Mia Amor Mottley announced Burgie died Friday.

Day-O," written in 1952, has been ubiquitous, appearing in everything from the film and Broadway musical Beetlejuice to an E-Trade commercial. "Day-O" was also the wake-up call for the astronauts on two Space Shuttle missions in the 1990s. When a superstar list of music royalty gathered to film the "We Are the World" video in 1985, most burst into a playful version of "Day-O" in between takes. Lil' Wayne used a sample of "Day-O" in his "6 Foot 7 Foot."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/irving-burgie-songwriter-calypso-hit-day-o-dies-at-95-1258558
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1173 on: December 01, 2019, 12:01:36 pm »
Here’s a little better obit.

Irving Burgie, a songwriter whose adaptation of the traditional Jamaican folk song "Day-O" became one of the definitive calypso songs of the 20th century, died on Friday. He was 95.

Burgie died as a result of complications from heart failure. His death was confirmed by his son Andrew Burgie.

Burgie performed in nightclubs as Lord Burgess, but he was best-known as a songwriter who helped Harry Belafonte bring calypso to the mainstream.

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/30/783874259/irving-burgie-songwriter-who-helped-bring-calypso-to-america-dies-at-95
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #1174 on: December 01, 2019, 12:16:55 pm »
A tip of the cap to Mr. Burgie. Everytime our choir director corrects our pronunciation of "Deo," as in "In excelsis Deo," I want to start singing Day-O, daylight come and me wan' go home.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org