Author Topic: Obituaries for 2019  (Read 106347 times)

Offline mountaineer

Re: Obituaries for 2019
« Reply #725 on: August 02, 2019, 12:30:19 pm »
A lot of mental illness and substance abuse in that family.  **nononono*
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #726 on: August 02, 2019, 01:47:48 pm »
@TomSea

She added that "someone I knew and loved broke serious sexual boundaries with me," leading her to pretend the incident hadn't happened and attempting suicide.

Clearly someone "too big to be arrested".

Gee,if we only knew of someone related to her that has political connections and can't be arrested!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #727 on: August 02, 2019, 01:49:02 pm »

@mountaineer

It's what defines them.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #728 on: August 02, 2019, 04:15:35 pm »
I had a good friend in St. Louis who came from a great deal of wealth. She and every one of her siblings and step-siblings (mother was widowed and remarried) was messed up in some way. It doesn't have to be that way. Not sure the Kennedys know how to raise children.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #729 on: August 02, 2019, 06:59:45 pm »
I had a good friend in St. Louis who came from a great deal of wealth. She and every one of her siblings and step-siblings (mother was widowed and remarried) was messed up in some way. It doesn't have to be that way. Not sure the Kennedys know how to raise children.
We were, every one of us, raised to be President of the United States.---Chris Lawford, one of the sons Pat Kennedy had with then-husband Peter Lawford, in Peter Collier and David Horowitz's The Kennedys, about his generation of Kennedy offspring.

The exception may have been the children of the late Eunice Kennedy and her husband, the late R. Sargent Shriver. Collier and Horowitz recorded that once, when one of their children was hurting, Shriver comforted him by saying, "You're a Shriver. It's OK to cry." (Their son Timothy is now the chairman of Special Olympics; he gave the welcome address in Seattle last year, when I went to the national Special Olympics to watch my son play softball in the games---my son's team won the silver medal, in fact.) Bobby Kennedy was once called "the Kennedy with soul"; I'd say that designation belonged more to Eunice Kennedy.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 07:01:11 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #730 on: August 02, 2019, 07:16:25 pm »

Tends to happen when the Patriarch makes a deal with the devil.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #731 on: August 02, 2019, 07:19:54 pm »
Seems to me the Kennedys with their heads on straight are the ones who in some way distanced themselves from the rest of the jackals. 

I was wondering whether Miss Hill ever received any help for her depression.  Her writings make it sound like she was aware she had a problem, but it also seems she may not have had proper treatment.  Years ago, I read something about Joan Kennedy, Ted's first wife.  It was alleged in that story that the family knew she had a problem with alcohol, but didn't want her to get help.  Why, I don't know.  Were they afraid that in therapy or AA, she might spill the beans on some dirty dealings in that family?    Anyway, according to this story, Joan didn't really get better till after she got away from Ted and the rest of the clan. 

Don't know if that story is true, but it does sound plausible. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #732 on: August 02, 2019, 07:46:44 pm »
Seems to me the Kennedys with their heads on straight are the ones who in some way distanced themselves from the rest of the jackals. 

I was wondering whether Miss Hill ever received any help for her depression.  Her writings make it sound like she was aware she had a problem, but it also seems she may not have had proper treatment.  Years ago, I read something about Joan Kennedy, Ted's first wife.  It was alleged in that story that the family knew she had a problem with alcohol, but didn't want her to get help.  Why, I don't know.  Were they afraid that in therapy or AA, she might spill the beans on some dirty dealings in that family?    Anyway, according to this story, Joan didn't really get better till after she got away from Ted and the rest of the clan. 

Don't know if that story is true, but it does sound plausible.

It was a different political world in the 70's.  Eagleton was bumped from the McGovern ticket because he had undergone psychiatric care.  Back then, you could get tossed under the bus if you're caught in bed with a dead girl or a live boy.  Now those things are the rites of passing.  :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #733 on: August 02, 2019, 09:09:47 pm »
Back then, you could get tossed under the bus if you're caught in bed with a dead girl or a live boy.
Unless you're a Kennedy abandoning a car in the drink with a dead girl in it.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #734 on: August 02, 2019, 09:20:30 pm »
Unless you're a Kennedy abandoning a car in the drink with a dead girl in it.

Thing is, she wasn't dead and could have been rescued had Teddy the guts to face a little music. :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #735 on: August 06, 2019, 01:37:17 pm »
Just tweeted:

The Associated Press  @AP
BREAKING: Nobel laureate Toni Morrison has died, a friend confirms.
9:33 AM · Aug 6, 2019

NEW YORK (AP/GRAY) — Nobel Prize-winning author Toni Morrison has died.

Publisher Alfred A. Knopf says Morrison died Monday night at Montefiore Medical Center in New York. She was 88.

She was the first black woman to receive the Nobel literature prize, awarded in 1993. The Swedish academy hailed her use of language and her "visionary force."

Her novel "Beloved," in which a mother, Margaret, makes a tragic choice to murder her baby to save the girl from slavery, won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction in 1988.

Oprah Winfrey played Margaret in the 1998 film adaptation.

Born Chloe Anthony Wofford on Feb. 8, 1931 in Lorain, Ohio, Morrison often wrote about the black female experience.

Her first book was “The Bluest Eye” published in 1970, and it focused on a black girl who wants blue eyes like white girls.
KJCT
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 01:50:00 pm by mountaineer »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #736 on: August 06, 2019, 05:35:51 pm »
Just tweeted:

The Associated Press  @AP
BREAKING: Nobel laureate Toni Morrison has died, a friend confirms.
9:33 AM · Aug 6, 2019

KJCT

@mountaineer

Maybe this will save the taxpayers some money. Decades ago it was revealed that she had some sort of "chair in literature" at some state university (NC State?),that gave her an office,a staff to answer questions and forward mails,and a pretty decent salary.

And word was she had NO scheduled classes and gave no lectures while pulling in a 6 figure yearly salary.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #737 on: August 06, 2019, 05:52:19 pm »
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 06:23:58 pm by TomSea »

Offline skeeter

« Reply #738 on: August 06, 2019, 05:56:07 pm »
Cliff Branch of the Raiders passed away at 71 years old a few days ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliff_Branch

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/05/sports/football/cliff-branch-raiders-dead.html

Hard to believe he was that old. Those were great times for that team.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #739 on: August 06, 2019, 06:23:12 pm »
‘He Was the Last Real World’s Champion’: Fellow Legends Pay Tribute to Harley Race
Justin Barrasso

The legendary Harley Race succumbed to his battle with lung cancer on Thursday afternoon at the age of 76.

A genuine industry icon, Race was a prominent piece of the wrestling landscape for the past seven decades. His legend was first established during his tenure in the NWA, where he had eight different runs as World Heavyweight Champion. Race worked throughout Japan, in the AWA and WCW, and had a memorable stint during the late 1980s in Vince McMahon’s World Wrestling Federation, feuding with Hulk Hogan, Junkyard Dog, and “Hacksaw” Jim Duggan.

WWE Executive Vice President Paul “Triple H” Levesque first met Race in 1994 during their time together in WCW, but he had spent countless hours watching, learning from, and admiring the craft of Race’s cutting-edge work in the ring.

“There are certain guys in the business that are great, and there are legends, but then there are the ones who transcend the business,” said Levesque. “Harley Race took the business from the era that it was in and moved it in a different direction.

Read more at: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/%E2%80%98he-was-the-last-real-world%E2%80%99s-champion%E2%80%99-fellow-legends-pay-tribute-to-harley-race/ar-AAFeSo0

wikipedia

I've thought of Harley Race from time to time throughout the years. I didn't even know he was still alive. Once upon a time, there was quite a bit of blood-letting in wrestling, I'd see it on the magazine covers growing up, that was the era Race belonged to more per my view.  I must have watched Race early in his career, maybe the industry got past that at some point.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 06:25:02 pm by TomSea »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #740 on: August 06, 2019, 11:20:40 pm »
Maybe this will save the taxpayers some money. Decades ago it was revealed that she had some sort of "chair in literature" at some state university (NC State?),that gave her an office,a staff to answer questions and forward mails,and a pretty decent salary.

And word was she had NO scheduled classes and gave no lectures while pulling in a 6 figure yearly salary.
There's a lot of that nonsense going around, sad to say.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #741 on: August 06, 2019, 11:37:44 pm »
There's a lot of that nonsense going around, sad to say.

@mountaineer

It should be easy enough for anyone interested to track down the truth of that one. For one thing,it would probably be mentioned in her bio.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #742 on: August 06, 2019, 11:44:21 pm »
@sneakypete
@mountaineer

From Wikipedia:

From 1989 until her retirement in 2006, Morrison held the Robert F. Goheen Chair in the Humanities at Princeton University.  She said she didn't think much of modern fiction writers who reference their own lives instead of inventing new material, and she used to tell her creative writing students, "I don't want to hear about your little life, OK?" Similarly, she chose not to write about her own life in a memoir or autobiography.

Though based in the Creative Writing Program at Princeton, Morrison did not regularly offer writing workshops to students after the late 1990s, a fact that earned her some criticism. Rather, she conceived and developed the Princeton Atelier, a program that brings together students with writers and performing artists. Together the students and the artists produce works of art that are presented to the public after a semester of collaboration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toni_Morrison

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #743 on: August 06, 2019, 11:49:02 pm »
Sounds like a waste of time to me, but I've never been much for poetry or "modern fiction."

Offline Applewood

« Reply #744 on: August 06, 2019, 11:53:47 pm »
@mountaineer

It's ok to broaden one's horizons through the arts and literature, but I'd rather kids go to a college or university to learn something that will earn them a paycheck.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #746 on: August 07, 2019, 03:11:33 am »
@mountaineer

It's ok to broaden one's horizons through the arts and literature, but I'd rather kids go to a college or university to learn something that will earn them a paycheck.

Engineering schools have Humanities electives....
I will NOT comply.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #747 on: August 07, 2019, 04:44:26 pm »
Obituary: Joe Longthorne – ‘one of the biggest light-entertainment stars of his generation’

Joe Longthorne

Joe Longthorne, who has died at the age of 64, was one of the biggest light-entertainment stars of his generation, admired within the industry for his powerful voice and professionalism and adored by a devoted fan base.

Born in Hull to performing parents from the travelling community, Longthorne showed an early gift for performing. He won his first talent contest at the age of five with an act showcasing his precocious skills as a singer and impressionist – talents that sustained a professional career over more than 40 years, saw him headlining the London Palladium and the Talk of the Town and acquiring three platinum discs for record sales.

After finding early television fame in the late 1960s with regular appearances on ITV’s children’s talent show, Junior Showtime, he served his apprenticeship on stage on the still thriving club circuit at home and abroad in the early years of the 1970s.

Read more at: https://www.thestage.co.uk/features/obituaries/2019/obituary-joe-longthorne-one-of-the-biggest-light-entertainment-stars-of-his-generation/

Sounds more like he was known over there but posting. I'm sure he was very talented.

The article says his parents were of the "traveling community", wikipedia reads:

Longthorne was born in Hull,[1] England, into a musical family[2] of a "travelling, Romany background".

So, something like Roma or Gypsies I assume.

wikipedia
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 05:03:32 pm by TomSea »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #748 on: August 07, 2019, 05:20:50 pm »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline TomSea

« Reply #749 on: August 08, 2019, 05:30:39 pm »
Rosie Ruiz, Infamous for Cheating 1980 Boston Marathon, Dies at 66
For eight days she was the winner of the 1980 race, until a mountain of evidence proved she had jumped onto the course in the final few miles.
By Roger Robinson   
Aug 8, 2019

Rosie Ruiz, whose name is notoriously synonymous with marathon cheating, died on July 8, from cancer, according to an obituary posted by her family in Palm Beach, Florida. She was 66 and known as Rosie M. Vivas.

Ruiz infamously jumped into the 1980 Boston Marathon in the final stretch of the race and claimed the women’s win ahead of the true champion, Jacqueline Gareau of Québec. Runners and fans have always resented that Ruiz basked in acclamation for her supposed come-from-behind victory and refused to admit guilt. Gareau had to cross the finish line with no recognition of her course record time of 2:34:28, or her dominant defeat of the prerace favorite, Patti Lyons of Boston, who was second in 2:35:08.

It was also found that Ruiz began her course-cutting career in her first marathon, New York City in 1979, when she either dropped out, or skipped the course completely, and was seen on the subway to Central Park. She crossed the finish line, receiving medical attention for a supposedly injured ankle, and her bar code was recorded as a finisher. That gave her a Boston qualification for 1980. Her employer, thrilled by her result, paid her expenses to go to Boston.

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a28615122/rosie-ruiz-boston-marathon-dies/