Author Topic: Obituaries for 2019  (Read 106385 times)

Online mountaineer

Re: Obituaries for 2019
« Reply #675 on: July 15, 2019, 12:56:58 pm »
On Seinfeld, he played a mohel in the episode "The Bris."
"Shakey the mohel," Jerry called him, after the mohel nicked Jerry's finger.

"This is no baggy pants farce!"
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #676 on: July 16, 2019, 05:15:51 am »
Boxing champ Pernell Whitaker dies; hit by car in Virginia
AP
Jul 15, 2019 at 3:35p ET

Pernell Whitaker, an Olympic gold medalist and four-division champion who was regarded as one of the greatest defensive fighters ever, has died after being hit by a car in Virginia. He was 55.

Police in Virginia Beach said the former fighter was hit by a car Sunday night. The driver of the car remained on the scene, and police said they were investigating the circumstances of the death.

Sweet Pea was Whitaker’s nickname, and it fit perfectly. He was a master of hitting and not getting hit back, a southpaw who slipped in and out of the pocket and rarely gave an opponent an opportunity to land a clean shot.

Read more at: https://www.foxsports.com/boxing/story/boxing-champ-pernell-whitaker-dies-hit-by-car-in-virginia-071519

wikipedia

Shocking tragedy, I know the name. Famous for fighting De La Hoya, his record shows a ton of wins.  Rest in peace.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #677 on: July 17, 2019, 01:29:04 am »
John Paul Stevens
Former Supreme Court justice dies at 99

Stevens served on the Supreme Court from the time of Gerald Ford's appointing him to the seat in 1975 until his 2010 retirement, after five years on the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals. Prior to serving as a judge, he had served as an antitrust prosecutor.

Although appointed by a Republican, and showing moderate to conservative tendencies in his early years on the court, Stevens lurched leftward over the course of his career and by the time of his retirement was one of the farthest-left of the Court's justices, a reliable vote for Democratic Party causes.

Stevens died from complications of a stroke.

Obituary from NBC News

Wikipedia
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Applewood

« Reply #678 on: July 17, 2019, 10:29:02 am »
Too bad Justice Stevens was a liberal, but now that he has passed from this world, it really doesn't matter now.  So all I can say, is:  rest in peace, Justice Stevens and may God comfort your loved ones.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #679 on: July 17, 2019, 03:37:07 pm »
All I can say about public officials like Stevens is that they are permanently out of the game and can no longer do damage to the Republic. For that, RIP.
The Republic is lost.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #680 on: July 17, 2019, 10:16:23 pm »
More to come from my pen (well, keyboard), but . . .

Ernie Broglio, involved in baseball’s most lopsided trade, dies at 83

As in, Brock-for-Broglio. (As in, Hall of Famer Lou Brock.) With whom the genial Broglio struck up a pleasant friendship in the years to follow their very different baseball careers.

RIP to a man who dealt with that kind of notoriety with class, grace, and a wicked sense of humour.

I played with a lot of Hall of Famers, and I helped put a lot of guys there.---Ernie Broglio.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online rustynail

« Reply #681 on: July 17, 2019, 11:37:57 pm »
Washington Times editor, columnist Wesley Pruden dies at 83

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #682 on: July 18, 2019, 12:00:26 am »

What????   8888crybaby
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #683 on: July 18, 2019, 12:12:30 am »

Damn.  He will be missed.

RIP.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #684 on: July 18, 2019, 12:23:43 am »
Washington Times editor, columnist Wesley Pruden dies at 83 after remarkable six-decade career
Pruden rose from teen copy boy to editor-in-chief of influential Washington, D.C., newspaper
Washington Times, Jul 17, 2019

Wesley Pruden would have wanted to spend his final hours at his keyboard, deftly deflating the pompous, entitled and arrogant of the political establishment, and he came awfully close.

The venerable Washington Times editor, columnist and journalism institution was found dead Wednesday morning at his home, after putting in a full day Tuesday at the newsroom on New York Avenue in Northeast D.C., where he had worked since 1982, four months after the newspaper’s founding.

He was 83.

More:  https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/jul/17/wes-pruden-washington-times-editor-and-columnist-d/

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #685 on: July 18, 2019, 12:28:08 am »
Elijah 'Pumpsie' Green, first black Red Sox player, dies at 85

Elijah ‘‘Pumpsie’’ Green, the first black player on the Boston Red Sox, has died. He was 85.

A Red Sox spokesman confirmed his death Wednesday night.

Green played parts of four seasons with the Red Sox and one with the New York Mets from 1959-63, batting .246 with 13 homers and 74 RBIs. But his place in history was made when he stepped on the field as a pinch-runner against the Chicago White Sox on July 21, 1959.

The Red Sox were the last team in the major leagues to field a black player.

Read the full story at https://bostonglobe.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=90f9e490a860897c7155feca1&id=78850f881c&e=8986773d37.

@EasyAce

Offline skeeter

« Reply #686 on: July 18, 2019, 12:30:30 am »
Damn.  He will be missed.

RIP.

QFT Pruden really peaked during the Clinton administration. Really great stuff.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #687 on: July 18, 2019, 12:38:54 am »
@EasyAce
@Sanguine
I saw that after having already learned of the deaths of Joe Grzenda and Ernie Broglio. I know it comes in threes at times but I'll write about Pumpsie Green tomorrow. I need a break from elegy writing!

RIP Pumpsie.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #688 on: July 20, 2019, 05:58:38 pm »
Former NFL lineman Mitch Petrus dies of heat stroke at age 32

Mitch Petrus, an offensive lineman who spent time with the Giants, Patriots and Titans, has died at the age of 32.

Petrus had been working all day outside at his family’s business in Lonoke County, Arkansas, and died of heat stroke, the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reports. A heat advisory has been in effect in Central Arkansas, with temperatures in the 90s and high humidity.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/19/former-nfl-lineman-mitch-petrus-dies-of-heat-stroke-at-age-32/

I don't know this fella -- maybe some of you do -- but I'm posting his obit as a warning.  Much of the US is experiencing a brutal  heat wave this weekend, and the possibility of dying from heat stroke is very real.  It can come upon you all of a sudden and as what happened here with Mr. Petrus, it can kill even the young and healthy.    Everyone -- be careful!

Rest in peace, Mr. Petrus, and may God comfort your loved ones.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #689 on: July 20, 2019, 06:34:18 pm »
Former NFL lineman Mitch Petrus dies of heat stroke at age 32

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/19/former-nfl-lineman-mitch-petrus-dies-of-heat-stroke-at-age-32/

I don't know this fella -- maybe some of you do -- but I'm posting his obit as a warning.  Much of the US is experiencing a brutal  heat wave this weekend, and the possibility of dying from heat stroke is very real.  It can come upon you all of a sudden and as what happened here with Mr. Petrus, it can kill even the young and healthy.    Everyone -- be careful!

Rest in peace, Mr. Petrus, and may God comfort your loved ones.

Absolutely.  Heat Stroke is a silent killer, that knows no age boundaries.  Even though it seems the elderly can succumb quicker to it.

If you live in the middle of the country right now, probably not a bad idea to check on any elderly friends or relatives who might  want to work out in this heat, or might not have good or adequate HVAC relief.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 06:44:45 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #690 on: July 20, 2019, 06:37:46 pm »
Absolutely.  Heat Stroke is a silent killer, that knows no age boundaries.  Even though it seems the elderly can succumb quicker to it.

If you live in the middle of the country right now, probably not a bad to check on any elderly friends or relatives who might  want to work out in this heat, or might not have good or adequate HVAC relief.

And, since it causes mental confusion, you don't know how bad off you are until it's too late.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #691 on: July 20, 2019, 06:56:19 pm »
Phoenix AZ curr. 107 F, dropping to 88 F overnight. Hum. 15% so it is "dry heat" as they say.

Palm Springs CA, also 107 F today and heading up to 114 F in a week.

So in general terms, call it 110 F in the desert, and 70 F at the beach Orange-San Diego counties).

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Applewood

« Reply #692 on: July 20, 2019, 07:15:09 pm »
And, since it causes mental confusion, you don't know how bad off you are until it's too late.

Exactly.  Part of that is extreme dehydration.   Most people don't recognize dehydration.   They aren't  thirsty, so they don't drink.  They become very dehydrated; eventually, the organs fail and...so long.   

These days, I don't go anywhere without my trusty bottle of water even when it's cooler out. 

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #693 on: July 20, 2019, 07:18:29 pm »
Ben Kinchlow, for years, co-host or just plain sidekick on the 700 club.

https://www.bing.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/us/ben-kinchlow-longtime-co-host-of-700-club-dies-at-82.amp

Offline Applewood

« Reply #694 on: July 20, 2019, 07:21:25 pm »
@truth_seeker

Actual temperature not quite as hot here in Western PA, but we have the humidity which beings the heat index into the 100s.  I expect in many places that aren't desert, that is the case. 

I have cousins in the DC area.  They re in the 100s, but I think their heat index is at least 110-115.

Doesn't matter if it's "dry heat" or not -- it's too hot to be outside too long, even if you are not doing any physical labor.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #695 on: July 20, 2019, 07:26:56 pm »
Ben Kinchlow, for years, co-host or just plain sidekick on the 700 club.

https://www.bing.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/us/ben-kinchlow-longtime-co-host-of-700-club-dies-at-82.amp

I wondered what happened to him.  I remember Mr. Kinchlow from some years ago.  Seems he left CBN and the 700 Club in the 1990s to go his own way in ministry.

Rest in peace.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #696 on: July 20, 2019, 07:41:08 pm »
@truth_seeker

I have cousins in the DC area.  They re in the 100s, but I think their heat index is at least 110-115.

@Applewood

Cities are always hotter. Car and truck exhausts,exhaust from ac units,black top highways radiating heat,dark color vehicles radiating heat,buildings blocking wind,etc,etc,etc.

I saw a prediction this morning that it would be 115 F in Minneapolis today. Why the HELL would anybody want to stay there when it is freezing ass cold in the winter,and boiling hot in the summer?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #697 on: July 20, 2019, 07:46:28 pm »
Phoenix AZ curr. 107 F, dropping to 88 F overnight. Hum. 15% so it is "dry heat" as they say.

Palm Springs CA, also 107 F today and heading up to 114 F in a week.

So in general terms, call it 110 F in the desert, and 70 F at the beach Orange-San Diego counties).

Today is supposed to be 11 degrees cooler in AZ deserts.  It was 118F at the Castle last Saturday.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #698 on: July 20, 2019, 07:48:42 pm »
@truth_seeker

Actual temperature not quite as hot here in Western PA, but we have the humidity which beings the heat index into the 100s.  I expect in many places that aren't desert, that is the case. 

Doesn't matter if it's "dry heat" or not -- it's too hot to be outside too long, even if you are not doing any physical labor.

I have been in enough different places, to understand the impat of high humidity.

My Northern European dna, is simply not cut out for high heat. I once turned down a great job offer in Houston, after visiting during the summer. (no offense intended towards Texans)

My sweet bride of 51 years and I are both SoCal natives, and we have never lived in air conditioned houses, having been within a mile of the cool Paciic almost all of that time.

Today the ocean temp is almost the same for SoCal and for Maine, to provide real world examples.

SoCal is COOLED by the col Alaska current, and New England to Western Europe are WARMED by the warm Gulf current.

@Applewood @sneakypete
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #699 on: July 20, 2019, 08:01:58 pm »

Jumped up at 5AM this morning... did my 2.5 miles at 7AM.   It was already in the low 80's, but actually quite pleasant.  (Germantown, Maryland)

I was surprised how many other people were out there already. 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald