Author Topic: Obituaries for 2019  (Read 106395 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Obituaries for 2019
« Reply #650 on: July 10, 2019, 03:29:44 am »
Rip Torn, ‘Men in Black,’ ‘Larry Sanders Show’ Star, Dies at 88

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/rip-torn-men-black-larry-024010680.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #651 on: July 10, 2019, 03:47:32 am »

I didn't realize this:

Elmore Rual Torn Jr. was born in Temple in the Texas hill country. His father was an agricultural economist, and Torn attended Texas A&M and the U. of Texas, studying animal husbandry before turning to acting, training under actor, director and scholar B. Iden Payne.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #652 on: July 10, 2019, 04:15:30 am »

I thought he passed years ago.... :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #653 on: July 10, 2019, 05:24:33 am »
I thought he passed years ago.... :shrug:

I sW him in an episode of “Columbo” and one of my favorite movies from the 80s, a little hidden gem called “Beer”.

He was one of those actors who made acting look like it was no effort at all. Kudos!

Rest In Peace , Sir.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #654 on: July 10, 2019, 02:30:56 pm »
I didn't realize this:

@Sanguine
I did know that he was from Texas, but I didn't know the rest of the details that you've posted.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #655 on: July 10, 2019, 03:10:28 pm »
He was also an Army MP during the Korean War.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #656 on: July 10, 2019, 03:18:41 pm »
He was also an Army MP during the Korean War.

@txradioguy

Nobody is perfect.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #657 on: July 10, 2019, 03:31:43 pm »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #658 on: July 11, 2019, 03:14:09 am »
Jim Bouton
Ten-season MLB vet dies at 80

Bouton played for the New York Yankees and Houston Astros over the course of his career; he also had a brief stint with the Seattle Pilots, who lasted a single year and were the shortest-lived MLB team of the modern era. Eight years after retiring, the pitcher made a brief comeback with the Atlanta Braves.

Bouton eventually became better known for his off-field work than his baseball. His 1969 book Ball Four was one of the first unvarnished exposés on the subject and drew ire from many of his teammates for divulging the details of "inside baseball" (literally). He later played himself in a short-lived TV series based on the book, in addition to a number of other acting roles and work as a sports anchor at New York City's TV stations. Outside of media, he was also an early investor in Big League Chew, the bubble gum in a pouch.

Bouton died July 10 from brain damage caused by a 2012 stroke.

Obituary from the New York Daily News

Wikipedia

Career stats

cc: @EasyAce
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #659 on: July 11, 2019, 03:59:41 am »
Jim Bouton
Ten-season MLB vet dies at 80

Bouton played for the New York Yankees and Houston Astros over the course of his career; he also had a brief stint with the Seattle Pilots, who lasted a single year and were the shortest-lived MLB team of the modern era. Eight years after retiring, the pitcher made a brief comeback with the Atlanta Braves.

Bouton eventually became better known for his off-field work than his baseball. His 1969 book Ball Four was one of the first unvarnished exposés on the subject and drew ire from many of his teammates for divulging the details of "inside baseball" (literally). He later played himself in a short-lived TV series based on the book, in addition to a number of other acting roles and work as a sports anchor at New York City's TV stations. Outside of media, he was also an early investor in Big League Chew, the bubble gum in a pouch.

Bouton died July 10 from brain damage caused by a 2012 stroke.

Obituary from the New York Daily News

Wikipedia

Career stats

cc: @EasyAce
@jmyrlefuller

Jim Bouton, RIP: The grip

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #660 on: July 11, 2019, 04:16:19 am »
I read Ball Four.  Fine book. 

Rest in peace, Mr. Bouton.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #661 on: July 11, 2019, 04:43:45 am »
I know he meant well, but his greatest impact on history was unleashing the Clinton Crime Machine.
If "Read my Lips" Daddy Bush hadn't been so politically tone deaf and out of touch with the rank and file, maybe Ross would not have had the traction he did. Either way, the Clinton Crime Machine was coming, and while it might have been delayed, it would not have been stopped except by some serious prosecutions.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #662 on: July 11, 2019, 12:19:10 pm »
Denise Nickerson
Former child actress most famous for Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory overdoses at 62

Nickerson in retirement, age 54.

Nickerson had a substantial acting career as a child, most famously Violet Beauregard, the gum-obsessed girl who gets turned to a blueberry because of her uncontrolled habit, in the 1971 film Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. She had a number of other roles as a young adult before largely exiting show business in 1978 when she turned 21.

She suffered a severe stroke in 2018. On July 8, 2019, she overdosed on various medications in her son's medicine cabinet (where she was being cared for) in a possible suicide attempt and died two days later.

Obituary from The Hollywood Reporter

Wikipedia

IMDB
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 02:01:30 pm by jmyrlefuller »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #663 on: July 11, 2019, 01:49:17 pm »
Hollywood sure is rough on children. 

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #664 on: July 12, 2019, 01:38:27 pm »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #665 on: July 12, 2019, 01:39:46 pm »
I just saw that violet died, wow. Young.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline musiclady

Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #667 on: July 12, 2019, 03:38:41 pm »
Rick Perry: Now that Ross Perot is gone, I can tell this story

In this era of having to see human garbage continually being glorified in the media, seeing a story like this makes you realize that not is all bad about the world.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #668 on: July 12, 2019, 03:41:13 pm »
In this era of having to see human garbage continually being glorified in the media, seeing a story like this makes you realize that not is all bad about the world.

A very small minority give the rest of us a bad name.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #669 on: July 12, 2019, 04:30:55 pm »

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #670 on: July 12, 2019, 09:45:52 pm »
Rick Perry: Now that Ross Perot is gone, I can tell this story

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/commentary/2019/07/12/rick-perry-now-ross-perot-gone-can-tell-story?fbclid=IwAR2M2aYeWMGyztZZY4IqsJHPv0OYSBuGDN1norVEh21l3wuX00T51rSOoCA

Just one of many such stories.

@Bigun

I happen to know for a fact that when VN Medal of Honor winner Franklin D.Miller was diagnosed with kidney cancer and given 6 weeks to live that Perot visited him to get copies of all his lab results and doctors notes,and forwarded them to the top cancer surgeons in the country. If something could have been done to save Miller's life,Perot volunteered to pay every dime of the expenses. I know this to be a fact because Miller told me about it on the telephone a couple of weeks before he died.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #671 on: July 12, 2019, 10:34:01 pm »
@Bigun

I happen to know for a fact that when VN Medal of Honor winner Franklin D.Miller was diagnosed with kidney cancer and given 6 weeks to live that Perot visited him to get copies of all his lab results and doctors notes,and forwarded them to the top cancer surgeons in the country. If something could have been done to save Miller's life,Perot volunteered to pay every dime of the expenses. I know this to be a fact because Miller told me about it on the telephone a couple of weeks before he died.

Thanks @sneakypete!  As I said, this is but one of many such stories.  Ross was a true patriot in every sense of the word.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #672 on: July 13, 2019, 03:05:13 am »
Yes, Ross Perot would have been a great president I am sure. Remember,  I think he use to say "that sucking sound you hear", talking about NAFTA.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #673 on: July 13, 2019, 03:11:38 am »
Obituary: Andrew Graham-Yooll, the man who dared to report on Argentina's missing
By Vicky Baker BBC News

Andrew Graham-Yooll was born in Argentina to British parents and always straddled both cultures

When plainclothes policemen came to the Buenos Aires Herald's office brandishing machine guns, the newspaper's staff knew they were coming.

It was 22 October 1975 and the police were looking for the small Argentine newspaper's news editor, Andrew Graham-Yooll.

A visit from armed police would normally have meant certain death, but the office had been tipped off in advance, and someone had already been able to get word out to a lawyer and to overseas news agencies, meaning the raid was on the record.

Read more at: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-48948853

Jerry Lawson, Lead Singer of the Persuasions, Is Dead at 75

Jerry Lawson, the original lead singer of the Persuasions, in the Bedford-Stuyvesant section of Brooklyn in 1992. The Persuasions began 30 years earlier as a casual and nameless ensemble on the basketball courts and front stoops of Brooklyn.CreditWilliam E. Sauro/The New York Times

Jerry Lawson, who for four decades was the lead singer of the Persuasions, a group that revived the art of a cappella singing and attracted a loyal worldwide following, died on Wednesday in Phoenix. He was 75.

His death was confirmed by his wife, Julie. She said that Guillain-Barre syndrome, a rare neurological disorder, had compromised Mr. Lawson’s immune system.

Read more at: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/12/arts/music/jerry-lawson-dead.html

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

This band appears popular, I'm not too familiar with them.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #674 on: July 15, 2019, 03:01:25 am »
Charles Levin
Actor known for his bit parts in sitcoms found dead at 70

Active primarily in the 1980s and 1990s, Levin accumulated a long list of bit parts in films and television series. Among some of his more notable roles:
  • On Alice, Levin's Elliot Novak, a police officer, served as the plot device that brought the series to a close as Elliot and the titular Alice fell in love and married.
  • On The Golden Girls, he played a gay chef named Coco. He was originally to be a series regular, but fan reaction to Estelle Getty's Sophia Petrillo, and the greater variety in plot lines Sophia's character offered, led to Coco being written out after a single episode.
  • On Seinfeld, he played a mohel in the episode "The Bris."
  • On Hill Street Blues, he played the recurring role of Eddie Gregg.

Mostly retired for the previous 20 years, Levin went missing in early July. After being reported missing on the 8th, his car was found on the 12th and his body on the 14th.

Death notice/obituary from The Guardian

Wikipedia

IMDB