Author Topic: Obituaries for 2019  (Read 107322 times)

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Obituaries for 2019
« Reply #600 on: July 04, 2019, 08:20:33 pm »
I checked out the Caravan when it first came out.  It was only available in a 4-cylinder, so I asked the fellow at the dealership if somebody in Deetroit had been smoking crack.  An engine that can barely move a compact in a minivan.   *****rollingeyes*****
Early corvettes were underpowered, too.

But take a look at the modern SUV and you can see where the minivan went.

Strip out the seats, you had a delivery vehicle for a small business. Leave them in, haul the kids and groceries. They turned out to be a practical vehicle with a multitude of uses, and evolved. For the American automotive industry, the advent of the minivan was a game changer.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #601 on: July 04, 2019, 09:17:40 pm »
Affinity Konar's novel, Mischling, is very loosely based on the imprisonment of Eva and her twin sister at Auschwitz. I read it, and it's excellent.

@mountaineer

Did the twin sister survive?

One of my mother's cousins was a MP in Berlin right after the end of WW-2,and he ended up marrying a homeless "displaced person" that the US were "housing" and trying to re-unite families that were split apart. She was a German Jew from Berlin,and it turned out that everybody in her family died in one of the camps,but her. She had the tattoo on her arm and never once talked about her time in the camps or anything else related to Germany. To the best of my knowledge everybody in the family had better sense than to ask her about it.

MY suspicion is that since she was a attractive teen girl that she was used to pleasure the guards. She never had any children,so I suspect they operated on her so none of the German guards would father a half-Jewish child.

It  turned out that her family had been VERY wealthy before the Nazi's confiscated all their real property and bank accounts,and some time during the 50's her family property in West Berlin was returned to her. She even refused to go back to Berlin to sell it. Had a broker sell it for her and forward the money to her.

Turns out the penniless and homeless girl my mother's cousin married morphed into a wealthy woman. She got even wealthier after the collapse of East Germany and the family land there was returned to her. Or at least I am assuming it was returned to her. If it was I am absolutely certain she sold it all without going there.

Neither he nor she worked another day in their lives. They lived in some Jewish enclave in New York in the summer,and another in Florida during the winter. They would usually stop off and visit with us coming or going every year,always driving a new Lincoln. The even bought the lot next to my parents house in case they decided to move there.

They also owned and raced race horses,but I had no interest in that and never asked about it.

Not that any of this seemed to make any difference to her. She was one of the saddest people I have ever met in my life and seemed to just go along with what her husband wanted to do because nothing made any difference to her.

They are both long dead now,and since they never had any children,I suppose all their property and money went to some charity.

I also happened to get a chance to view some of the captured Nazi camp films when I was in the army. Stuff the Nazi's filmed that was "too raw" to show to the public.  IMHO,the word "monsters" is over-used,but not when used in conjunction with the word "Nazi". I am getting so mad right now I am a little dizzy from just thinking about this crap.

BTW,there was a VERY interesting book written about the last Hanburg Oceanliner and it's last trip to Cuba with a load of Jews whose American relatives bribed the Nazi leadership to allow them to leave. It was written primarily by one of the Jews that was on the ship,and who survived the war. Has some photos of his fellow passengers,too.

Come to find out,this "selling Jews for cash" program had been going on for a while. How it worked was prominent,or suspected prominent Jewish families went to one specific concentration camp,and the Nazi party took their names and the names of their relatives living outside of Germany,and contacted the relatives and opened negoiations on freeing them for a price for each family member freed. Once the Nazi's got the money from enough families to fill up a ocean liner,the ship would then sail to Cuba and anchor in the harbor at Havana. None of the passengers were allowed on Cuban soil,but the German agents in the crew went ashore to handle the bank transfers and make sure all the money was paid.

Most of them were obviously going to the US,but some went to countries in South America where they had relatives to sponsor them.

The US Embassy was handling the paperwork for the ones going to the US. Technically,I guess this was illegal because it was a time of war and this could be seen as trading with the enemy,but suddenly it was shut down. The people aboard the ocean liner (Hamburg Line,IIRC) never found out why or who it was responsible for it,but suddenly there were no US visas forthcoming,despite the bribes already being paid and the money in the banks.
They sat there in the harbor for a couple of weeks while the Nazi agents from the Ocean Liner and someone in authority in America passed messages back and forth via the Embassy,but what ended up happening was every Jew on the boat but the ones with relatives in Cuba were sent back to Germany,and straight back to a concentration camp. Most died as a result.

I wrote a book review once about this book while I had it in my hands,but can't remember now the title of the book or where it is.  If anyone is interested,I will try to remember to look for it and post a report on it here on TBR.

BTW,the ocean liner survived the war after being tied up at the harbor in Hamburg after returning. Seems like part of the deal was they had free passage from US warships and our allies while the "Jews for cash"   exchange was going on,but when that ended it never left port again. It was lightly damaged during the Allied bombing of Hamburg,and was cut up and sold for scrap after the war ended. I am guessing there weren't too many tourists wanting to take vacation trips  on German liners in 1946.

BTW,I THINK the title of the book was "The Last Ship".
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 09:52:34 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #602 on: July 04, 2019, 09:24:27 pm »
Early corvettes were underpowered, too.

@Smokin Joe

Not for their time they weren't. Even the 53 and 54 with the 235 Stovebolt 6 had 3 carbs and a hotter than original camshaft. The 55 and later models had V-8's and could be bought with a  high-performance solid lifter cam and dual quads.

You want to see a Corvette that is a dog,look at the late 70's and early 50's models with the 305's. Especially the ones with California smog requirements. They handled like a dream,but a 6 cylinder Nova could outrun one.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #603 on: July 05, 2019, 01:26:11 am »
She lived in Indiana...

Holocaust survivor who was subject of Josef Mengele's inhumane medical experiments at Auschwitz and who later FORGAVE the Nazi 'Angel of Death' dies at 85

Eva Kor was found dead in a hotel room in Krakow, Poland on Thursday

She was taking part in annual trip with a Holocaust museum from Indiana

Romanian-born Kor was sent to Auschwitz in 1944. Most of her family was killed

Kor and her twin sister were subjected to medical experiments at Auschwitz

Her sister, Miriam Zeiger, died of cancer in 1993

They were one of 1,500 sets of twins experimented on by Dr. Josef Mengele

By Associated Press and Dailymail.com Reporter

Published: 12:09 EDT, 4 July 2019 | Updated: 21:17 EDT, 4 July 2019

Holocaust survivor Eva Kor, who championed forgiveness even for those who carried out the Holocaust atrocities, died Thursday during an overseas trip for a museum she founded in Indiana, her son said.

Kor was in Krakow, Poland, for an annual educational trip with the CANDLES Holocaust Museum and Education Center in Terre Haute, Indiana, and died in the morning in her hotel room.

While her health had recently improved, Kor had a tough year medically with a heart surgery and respiratory issues, said her son Alex Kor, who was with her when she died.

Read more at: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7214119/Holocaust-survivor-Eva-Kor-dies-age-85.html

Read more at: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7214119/Holocaust-survivor-Eva-Kor-dies-age-85.html

Offline TomSea

« Reply #604 on: July 05, 2019, 04:10:49 am »
Billionaire...read on for the rest.
Helicopter crashed in the Bahamas...Thursday, so today... with a total death toll of seven. My condolences, very sad. He may have started a business in St. Louis, his hometown may have been in West Virginia.
Chris Cline, coal tycoon who founded St. Louis' Foresight Energy, dies in helicopter crash

By Bryce Gray St. Louis Post-Dispatch 1 hr ago

Chris Cline, a billionaire coal baron who founded St. Louis-based Foresight Energy, died in a helicopter crash Thursday, according to reports from his hometown newspaper, the Register-Herald, in Beckley, West Virginia.

Reports said that Cline was among seven fatalities in the accident, which occurred in the waters off of Walker's Cay in the Bahamas.

Cline resigned from Foresight's board in 2017, according to financial filings from the company. He had previously served as the board's chairman, and also vacated his role as principal strategy adviser for Foresight.

Read more at: https://www.stltoday.com/business/local/chris-cline-coal-tycoon-who-founded-st-louis-foresight-energy/article_e0c63ff0-60a2-5bd5-b8f0-aefa0ef7d455.html

Billionaire Chris Cline among 7 dead in Bahamas helicopter crash - BNO News
Published 1 hour ago on July 4, 2019 By BNO News
3-4 minutes

Coal tycoon and billionaire Christopher Cline is among seven Americans who have died in a helicopter crash in the Bahamas, local and U.S. officials say. It happened on the eve of his 62nd birthday.

The Royal Bahamas Police Force said it was notified at 2:53 p.m. on Thursday that a helicopter had failed to arrive at its destination. The aircraft had taken off from Big Grand Cay, one of the northernmost islands in the Bahamas, at about 2 a.m.

About three hours later, officers found the aircraft overturned in about 16 feet (4.9 meters) of water, about 2 miles (3.2 kilometers) off Grand Cay Island. “The bodies of four females and three males were retrieved from the aircraft,” police spokeswoman Terecita Pinder said.

Read more at: https://bnonews.com/index.php/2019/07/billionaire-chris-cline-among-7-dead-in-bahamas-helicopter-crash/

My condolences, quite a tragedy.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 04:14:31 am by TomSea »

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #605 on: July 05, 2019, 05:54:06 am »
She lived in Indiana...

She was a great lady, who ever warned against the resurgence of both totalitarian government and the sort of mob rule/hate that enables an entire population to target one group for extermination.

It is a sad day, indeed, that she is lost to us except for recordings of her talks, even though I trust she is in a better place.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #606 on: July 05, 2019, 09:15:58 am »
Billionaire...read on for the rest.
Helicopter crashed in the Bahamas...Thursday, so today... with a total death toll of seven. My condolences, very sad. He may have started a business in St. Louis, his hometown may have been in West Virginia.
My condolences, quite a tragedy.

@TomSea

Chances are the women in the helicopter with him were family members,making the tragedy even worse.

NEVER fly anywhere in a helicopter if you have any other options.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #607 on: July 05, 2019, 11:13:10 am »
Re Chris Cline, his name sounded familiar. After Elin Nordegren divorced her cheating husband, Tiger Woods, she dated Cline for a while. He was a West Virginian, and very generous with his wealth.
... Cline, who grew up in a West Virginia coal mining family, dropped out of Marshall University at 22 to enter the coal industry.  ...

In 2011, he donated $5 million from his Cline Family Foundation to the School of Medicine and the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics of the West Virginia University.

Later that year, he also donated $5 million to Marshall University for research on sports medicine.

Cline later contributed another $3.5 million to the Vision Campaign — the first major fundraising effort undertaken by Marshall Athletics and the Big Green Scholarship Foundation. ...
More at WV Metro News

Re Eva Kor:  I followed her on Twitter. She was so active in spreading the "never again" message about the horrors perpetrated by the Nazis. She seemed a lovely lady, too, and I enjoyed reading her thoughts.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #608 on: July 05, 2019, 12:29:46 pm »
Re Chris Cline, his name sounded familiar. After Elin Nordegren divorced her cheating husband, Tiger Woods, she dated Cline for a while. He was a West Virginian, and very generous with his wealth.More at WV Metro News

Re Eva Kor:  I followed her on Twitter. She was so active in spreading the "never again" message about the horrors perpetrated by the Nazis. She seemed a lovely lady, too, and I enjoyed reading her thoughts.

@mountaineer

Let us not forget that not all of the concentration camp staff were Germans. Some were from other eastern European nations.

It is also important to recognize that Jews weren't the only ones that suffered this way. In FACT,there was a higher percentage of Gypsies murdered in the camps than there were Jews,and there was also a lot of Germans murdered in them. Primarily career criminals,retarded people,including children,people with genetic malformations,communists,and anyone else that attracted the attention of any German official. Jews just have a better PR machine than anyone else,and that's why so many people think the camps were built only for Jews or that Jews were the only ones worked to death or murdered in them.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #609 on: July 05, 2019, 03:08:10 pm »
so many people think the camps were built only for Jews or that Jews were the only ones worked to death or murdered in them.
Indeed. The camp we visited last year in France (Struthof) killed a lot of French resistance fighters, and I know Dachau housed political prisoners, Catholics, homosexuals, etc. Serbs were among the ethnic groups targeted by Nazis, and they are Orthodox Christian. Nazis were equal-opportunity killers.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline TomSea

« Reply #610 on: July 05, 2019, 04:02:38 pm »
Yes, for the camps,  I believe after the Jews, Poles were next in death toll, or citizens of the Soviet Union, Russians, Ukrainians.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #611 on: July 05, 2019, 04:44:47 pm »
  Nazis were equal-opportunity killers.

@mountaineer

That's one way to put it. I prefer "Nazi's were evil bastards".

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #612 on: July 05, 2019, 05:06:45 pm »
Indeed. The camp we visited last year in France (Struthof) killed a lot of French resistance fighters, and I know Dachau housed political prisoners, Catholics, homosexuals, etc. Serbs were among the ethnic groups targeted by Nazis, and they are Orthodox Christian. Nazis were equal-opportunity killers.

Killing in cold blood is like eating Lays potato chips:  Betcha can't stop at just one.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Applewood

« Reply #613 on: July 05, 2019, 05:41:38 pm »
The Nazis wanted to create a pure Aryan race and they had exacting standards for determining who was pure Aryan.  Fall short of those standards and you were gone. 

And if you did meet those Aryan standards, but you married a non-Aryan, both you and your spouse went off to the camps and were killed (along with any offspring you may have). 

Offline musiclady

« Reply #614 on: July 05, 2019, 09:08:10 pm »
The Nazis wanted to create a pure Aryan race and they had exacting standards for determining who was pure Aryan.  Fall short of those standards and you were gone. 

And if you did meet those Aryan standards, but you married a non-Aryan, both you and your spouse went off to the camps and were killed (along with any offspring you may have).

And if you helped those non-Aryan's hide from the Nazis, they also put YOU in a Concentration camp.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #615 on: July 06, 2019, 06:40:33 pm »
The artist, Leon Kossoff,  painted post-war Britain, he has passed away at the age of 92.
Remembering Leon Kossoff Through His Scenes of Anxiety and Disquiet
By The Editors of ARTnews Posted 07/05/19 5:27 pm

Leon Kossoff, King’s Cross Stormy Day no. 4, 2004, charcoal and pastel on paper.

©THE LEON KOSSOFF ESTATE/COURTESY ANNELY JUDA FINE ART

http://www.artnews.com/2019/07/05/leon-kossoff-paintings/

Offline TomSea

« Reply #616 on: July 06, 2019, 08:06:39 pm »
The Alabama police officer who arrested the Allman Brothers nearly 50 years ago has died
Updated Jul 5, 6:33 AM; Posted Jul 4, 2019

By Christopher Harress | charress@al.com

The Alabama police officer who famously arrested the Allman Brothers nearly 50 years ago has died at the age of 81.

Marlyn Cranford died June 26 at the Jackson Medical Center and was laid to rest three days later, according to his obituary.

Cranford, an established fisherman and fan of Alabama football, spent most of his career with the Alabama State Troopers, Chief of the Jackson Police Department and head of security at Ciba in McIntosh. He was a proud family man and enjoyed spending time with his many friends.

https://www.al.com/news/2019/07/the-alabama-police-officer-who-arrested-the-allman-brothers-nearly-50-years-ago-has-died.html

Rest in peace...

Hey, the police officer was sitting in a truck stop, they came in. I don't know how he got wind of them having drugs but they were some pretty hard core drugs.  Check the story. Different time but you can't still have heroin and stuff.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #617 on: July 06, 2019, 11:12:41 pm »
Rest in peace...

Hey, the police officer was sitting in a truck stop, they came in. I don't know how he got wind of them having drugs but they were some pretty hard core drugs.  Check the story. Different time but you can't still have heroin and stuff.

I'll guess Mr. Cranford suspected they had drugs just by the way they looked and acted.  Maybe he detected the strong odor of MJ.  Many of the bands doing drugs back then didnt hide it.  Some were stoned 24/7.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #618 on: July 06, 2019, 11:24:23 pm »
Rest in peace...

Hey, the police officer was sitting in a truck stop, they came in. I don't know how he got wind of them having drugs .....

@TomSea

Seriously? Duane wasn't so bad,but it would have been hard to stop Dickey Betts or Gregg Allman when they DIDN'T have drugs. In fact,Gregg  hired a guy to carry his drugs for him,and the poor SOB got serious time in prison for his efforts.

Give a good listen to their music. When you hear blues that intense,it's a pretty good tip-off. VERY long songs with titles like "Tied to the Whipping Post" should be a good clue,also.

They and the Marshall Tucker Band were a couple of my favorites back in the 70's. Seen BOTH a bunch of times,and was even invited backstage to party with the Allman Brothers once,but the woman I was dating at the time was married,and I had to get her back home by a certain time and at least coherent enough to know who she was. You don't party with people like that and end up within shouting distance of coherent.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #619 on: July 06, 2019, 11:26:12 pm »
I'll guess Mr. Cranford suspected they had drugs just by the way they looked and acted.  Maybe he detected the strong odor of MJ.  Many of the bands doing drugs back then didnt hide it.  Some were stoned 24/7.

@Applewood

Yeah,the eyes in their heads spinning in different directions and looking like they had 100 watt bulbs lighting them from behind while they drooled and giggled like maniacs would have been good first clues.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #620 on: July 07, 2019, 03:42:11 am »
'Father of bossa nova' João Gilberto dies aged 88

Brazilian musician Joao Gilberto, 77, performs in 2008 Image copyright AFP
Image caption The Grammy-award winning artist avoided the spotlight in recent years

Influential Brazilian musician João Gilberto has died aged 88.

The singer and composer was known best as a pioneer of the bossa nova genre, which found international popularity in the 1960s.

Reports say Gilberto died at home in Rio de Janeiro after a period of illness. His son confirmed the news of his death in a Saturday Facebook post.

Read more at: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-48894651

"The Girl from Ipanema" Astrud Gilberto, João Gilberto and Stan Getz

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 03:43:17 am by TomSea »

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #621 on: July 07, 2019, 05:11:21 am »
Far more than just "The Girl from Ipanema" . . .

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

RIP Mr. Gilberto.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #622 on: July 07, 2019, 05:41:59 am »
Far more than just "The Girl from Ipanema" . . .

That's really in the spirit of grieving for others. Correcting others in a thread.  Would you have even posted this obit? For a change, lay off.

@EasyAce
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 05:43:48 am by TomSea »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #623 on: July 07, 2019, 05:53:29 am »
I don't see @EasyAce 's post as a correction, but rather, as an enhancement.  Most of us know "Ipanema," but I think Ace was just making the point that Mr. Gilberto had a larger body of work.  And I for one am glad he did.  I admit to not being familiar with Mr. Gilberto's  other recordings. 

Rest in peace, Mr. Gilberto.

And chill, Tom.  Please.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #624 on: July 07, 2019, 05:55:24 am »
That's really in the spirit of grieving for others. Correcting others in a thread.  Would you have even posted this obit? For a change, lay off.
As a matter of fact, if you hadn't, I would have, since I've been a fan of his (and his former wife's) since childhood and their kind of music was just as important to me then and now as the blues, jazz, classic soul, vintage rock and roll, and other musics.

And I wasn't correcting so much as I was augmenting. Because there was more to Joao Gilberto's career than one hit that happened along after his career was established well enough, and it behooves anyone claiming music knowledge to make such an acknowledgement, especially when that big hit wasn't even close to being the recording that made his name in the first place, in his native Brazil and abroad.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.