Author Topic: Obituaries for 2019  (Read 107447 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Obituaries for 2019
« Reply #501 on: June 07, 2019, 12:50:57 am »
Rest in peace, he was also used often as a reference about rock and roll.  Often quoted.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #502 on: June 07, 2019, 02:45:07 am »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._John#Battle_with_addiction

Became a big time fan,  after he appeared several times on Midnight Special.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #503 on: June 07, 2019, 02:52:36 am »
Another one of my favorites by Dr. John is a Louis Jordan tune, called "Is You Is Or Is You Ain't" with BB King.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #504 on: June 07, 2019, 03:14:49 am »
Another one of my favorites by Dr. John is a Louis Jordan tune, called "Is You Is Or Is You Ain't" with BB King.

Yeah, but nothing will ever top the Tom and Jerry version.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #505 on: June 07, 2019, 03:27:41 am »
Yeah, but nothing will ever top the Tom and Jerry version.

:laugh:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #506 on: June 07, 2019, 12:09:06 pm »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._John#Battle_with_addiction

Became a big time fan,  after he appeared several times on Midnight Special.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
Awesome find. Thanks for the share.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online mountaineer

« Reply #507 on: June 07, 2019, 02:09:16 pm »
Body found in home confirmed to be missing Mouseketeer Dennis Day
By Joshua Rhett Miller
June 7, 2019 | 9:48am
A body found at the Oregon home of an original member of Disney’s “The Mickey Mouse Club” has been confirmed to be former Mouseketeer Dennis Day, state police and relatives said.

Day, 76, who was among the show’s original cast of child actors in the 1950s, was reported missing in July by his husband, Ernie Caswell, who was hospitalized at the time and suffers from memory loss, the Oregonian reports.

A body was then found in April at Day’s home in Phoenix, Oregon, and state police confirmed Thursday that a medical examiner’s office has identified the remains as the missing man, who “uncharacteristically” left his dog with a friend prior to his disappearance, according to missing persons reports. ...
Full story

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #508 on: June 07, 2019, 04:51:24 pm »
Oh, no!  One of my favorites.  I saw him with White Trash many years ago. 

A tribute to Dr. John:

That makes sense, since the Winter Bros and Mac were from Beaumont.
Later when Johnny Winter started making blues records on the Alligator label, Dr. John was on a few of his songs.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #509 on: June 07, 2019, 05:04:45 pm »
Body found in home confirmed to be missing Mouseketeer Dennis Day
By Joshua Rhett Miller
June 7, 2019 | 9:48amFull story

Prayers for Dennis Day as well. I do remember I'd watch him on the Jack Benny show.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #510 on: June 07, 2019, 05:50:39 pm »
Prayers for Dennis Day as well. I do remember I'd watch him on the Jack Benny show.
Not the same Dennis Day. Not even a relative. Doing our homework is our friend.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #511 on: June 07, 2019, 05:58:13 pm »

The other Dennis Day passed away in 1988.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #512 on: June 07, 2019, 06:02:06 pm »
The other Dennis Day passed away in 1988.
Of Lou Gehrig's disease, no less, the poor man.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #513 on: June 07, 2019, 08:13:58 pm »
Was gonna say: that Dennis Day (a/k/a Gene McNulty) was a little older than that (despite Mr. Benny's protests to the contrary)!

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #514 on: June 07, 2019, 09:23:03 pm »
Was gonna say: that Dennis Day (a/k/a Gene McNulty) was a little older than that (despite Mr. Benny's protests to the contrary)!
Well, if Jack Benny could be 39 years old for about the last 49 years of his life, why couldn't the first Dennis Day be a naive late-teenage mama's boy for the middle thirty years of his life?  wink777

Offline TomSea

« Reply #515 on: June 07, 2019, 11:00:40 pm »
The other day, that former Arkansas woman Senator was found dead, I'm just haring about this.

Another Former Republican State Senator Found Shot Dead at Home Former Oklahoma state Sen. Jonathan Nichols found dead with gunshot wound By: Jay Greenberg |@NeonNettle on 7th June 2019

A second former Republican state senator has been found dead at home from a gunshot within a span of two days. 53-year-old Former Oklahoma GOP state Sen. Jonathan Nichols was found dead inside his home in Norman on Wednesday night from an apparent gunshot wound, according to police. Investigators are working with the Oklahoma Medical Examiner’s Office to determine the exact cause and manner of death.

READ MORE: https://neonnettle.com/news/7735-another-former-republican-state-senator-found-shot-dead-at-home
© Neon Nettle

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #516 on: June 08, 2019, 02:24:16 am »
Acclaimed 'Star Trek' artist Keith Birdsong dies

Oklahoma artist Keith Birdsong, whose realistic likenesses of “Star Trek” actors made him one of the world’s most in-demand Trek illustrators, died Tuesday. He was 59.

Birdsong was born July 14, 1959, in Muskogee, where he spent much of his childhood. He had a residence in Tulsa at the time of his death.

Birdsong’s body of work includes hundreds of illustrations linked to the “Star Trek” franchise, including posters, book covers and collector plates. But he also was hired to provide likenesses of Elvis Presley and others for the U.S. Postal service. Some of his works are in the Smithsonian Institution, including a likeness of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr....

https://www.tulsaworld.com/entertainment/acclaimed-star-trek-artist-keith-birdsong-dies/article_54434878-5585-5a8a-91e9-91ec8870a1e5.html

He was way too young.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #517 on: June 09, 2019, 03:00:33 am »
Tony Rodham
Hillary Clinton's younger brother dies at 64

A college dropout and lifelong grunt, Rodham held jobs such as process server, repo man, private investigator and political operative. Largely surviving on political incest and nepotism, her sister Hillary married Bill Clinton while he married the daughter of senator Barbara Boxer; he benefited largely from cronyism and favors from his well-connected family members.

No cause of death was stated.

Obituary from CBS News

Wikipedia

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #518 on: June 09, 2019, 03:32:57 am »
Tony Rodham
Hillary Clinton's younger brother dies at 64

A college dropout and lifelong grunt, Rodham held jobs such as process server, repo man, private investigator and political operative. Largely surviving on political incest and nepotism, her sister Hillary married Bill Clinton while he married the daughter of senator Barbara Boxer; he benefited largely from cronyism and favors from his well-connected family members.

No cause of death was stated.

Poor guy.  A younger sibling should out live their olders.  May Hillary pass away soon to make up for his passing so early.  Hell is waiting for her
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #519 on: June 12, 2019, 12:49:21 am »
W.E.B. Griffin

I went back to February, he passed on Feb. 12, 2019, I saw no mention of this, this fellow was a fairly prolific writer of ? military and police novels? I know I have one of his books, "Close Combat" which isn't suppose to be one of his best.  I saw a picture of him with Gingrich too.

W.E.B. Griffith

It appears his series on the Marine Corps was well-received.

It's a bit strange that this one got my us, this is when one of the obits touched on Ballantine books. Maybe someone posted it about a week after.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #520 on: June 12, 2019, 12:59:17 am »
W.E.B. Griffin

I went back to February, he passed on Feb. 12, 2019, I saw no mention of this, this fellow was a fairly prolific writer of ? military and police novels? I know I have one of his books, "Close Combat" which isn't suppose to be one of his best.  I saw a picture of him with Gingrich too.

W.E.B. Griffith

It appears his series on the Marine Corps was well-received.

It's a bit strange that this one got my us, this is when one of the obits touched on Ballantine books. Maybe someone posted it about a week after.

@TomSea

NOBODY wrote better novels about the military than WEB Griffin. His books about the US Army that start before WW-2 and go though to the Muddle East were so well thought-of that he was made an honorary member of the Special Operations Association. At least some of his characters are composite characters of real men that served.

His series about the USMC (The Corps)  that began in pre-WW-2 China is a must-read series,too.

I honestly think I have read every book he has ever written,and was prepared to buy more.

He ranks right up there with Louis L'Amour as a writer,and I don't give praise higher than that.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #521 on: June 15, 2019, 12:33:21 am »
Pat Bowlen
Owner of the Denver Broncos dies at 75

Bowlen, born into wealth through his father's oil company, owned the Denver Broncos from 1984 until his death. During his tenure his Broncos appeared in seven Super Bowls, three of them wins, and was one of the winningest teams in the NFL during that span. He is credited with nurturing a family atmosphere, maintaining close ties with Broncos alumni, including selling a portion of the team to his longtime starting quarterback John Elway after Elway's retirement.

Bowlen had been suffering from Alzheimer's disease for approximately nine years prior to his death at age 75 on June 13. He died a month before he was to be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. An estate fight is expected, as Bowlen was unsure of which of his children would want to inherit the team, and two of them (both daughters) have stepped forward; in the meantime, the team will be held in trust by Elway and CEO Joe Ellis.

Obituary from the Denver Post

Wikipedia

Offline TomSea

« Reply #522 on: June 15, 2019, 03:53:13 pm »
Italian film director Franco Zeffirelli dies at 96

Italian film director Franco Zeffirelli has died aged 96, Italian media report.

The Florence native directed stars including Elizabeth Taylor in the 1967 film Taming of the Shrew and Dame Judi Dench on stage in Romeo and Juliet.

Italian media said Zeffirelli died after a long illness which had grown worse in recent months.

The two-time Oscar nominee also served in the Italian senate for two terms as a member of Silvio Berlusconi's Forza Italia party.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48648278

bio

Directed  The Champ with John Voight. I think I saw it and liked it but I don't remember a lot about it now. Also, directed "Taming of the Shrew" and "Romeo and Juliet"(1968) and "Jesus of Nazareth" per link.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #523 on: June 15, 2019, 05:55:58 pm »
bio

Directed  The Champ with John Voight. I think I saw it and liked it but I don't remember a lot about it now. Also, directed "Taming of the Shrew" and "Romeo and Juliet"(1968) and "Jesus of Nazareth" per link.

I saw Romeo and Juliet as a teenager.  For us kids it was the in movie to see  at the time.  Leonard Whiting (Romeo) was a hunk and the girls went crazy over him.  The film itself was ok -- more of a modern retelling of the story, which didn't go over well with purists.  The film did win a few awards.

Rest in peace, Mr. Zefferelli 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #524 on: June 17, 2019, 02:59:16 pm »
Fashion icon Gloria Vanderbilt, the only daughter of a railroad magnate and heiress to industrialist has died at age 95
Gloria Vanderbilt died at age 95, her son Anderson Cooper revealed on Monday. Cooper said he took Vanderbilt to the hospital several weeks earlier, where she learned she had severe stomach cancer.
http://inbox.foxnews.com/t?r=6053&c=616&l=1&ctl=E6C:EBD0A72B6E305F1ECEDF8111EBC210A01CEE7F7F70D81760&