Author Topic: Obituaries for 2019  (Read 106388 times)

Offline GrouchoTex

Re: Obituaries for 2019
« Reply #475 on: May 28, 2019, 06:01:30 pm »
@EasyAce
@Applewood

It didn't hurt Unitas that the held the record for most touchdown passes in a season, until Dan Marino broke it.
in a 12 game season, he had to have better than 4 a game.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #476 on: May 28, 2019, 07:17:03 pm »
As a Cubs fan he was very well liked in Cubbyland.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #477 on: May 28, 2019, 09:59:41 pm »
Niki Lauda
Open-wheel racer dies at 70

Lauda was an Austrian race car driver who rose to fame in the early 1970s on the Formula One circuit. His rivalry with James Hunt, the flashy contender prone to spectacular crashes, culminated in a crash at the 1976 German Grand Prix that left Lauda with severe burns and scars that remained the rest of his life. Lauda successfully came back from those injuries to continue his racing career into the mid-1980s, eventually winning three world championships overall. The rivalry between Lauda and Hunt was documented in the 2013 film Rush.

Obituary from Fox Sports

Wikipedia

I watched the Monaco Grand Prix on Sunday.

A lot of people with red hats on.
The hats had "NIKI" in white letters on them.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #478 on: May 30, 2019, 04:41:55 pm »
Former Sen. Thad Cochran (R-MS) dies at 81

Cochran served in the U.S. Senate from 1978 until his retirement in 2018, and before that six years in the House of Representatives, winning election in 1972 thanks to redistricting and the Nixon landslide and in 1978 from a split in the Democratic vote.

Focusing mainly on local issues during his four-decade tenure, Cochran earned the nickname "King of Pork" for his position on the Appropriations Committee. He seldom took prominent stands on national issues, a factor in his being challenged by Chris McDaniel in a narrow and bitter primary in 2014.

Obituary from the Jackson Clarion-Ledger

Wikipedia
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #479 on: May 30, 2019, 05:59:27 pm »
https://apnews.com/31eaed8011d143469fec6feb38072d54
JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — Republican former U.S. Sen. Thad Cochran, who served 45 years in Washington and used seniority to steer billions of dollars to his home state of Mississippi, has died. He was 81.
more at link...

Nice hit AP.  They could have started...

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — Republican former U.S. Sen. Thad Cochran, who represented Mississippi in Congress for 45 years, has died. He was 81.

or

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — Republican former U.S. Sen. Thad Cochran, who became the first Republican to represent Mississippi in the Senate since Reconstruction, has died. He was 81.

or

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — Republican former U.S. Sen. Thad Cochran, one of the most respected member of the United States Senate by both parties, has died. He was 81.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #480 on: May 30, 2019, 06:03:05 pm »
Leon Redbone
Singer/guitarist dies at 127—er, 69

The unabashedly anachronistic singer was discovered by Bob Dylan in the early 1970s and made his name playing old-time music from the ragtime and vaudeville eras. His eccentric character and notorious secrecy about his personal life led to widespread speculation that he was a fictional character played by some other more famous entertainer, though this was never proven.

Obituary from Rolling Stone

Wikipedia

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

« Reply #481 on: May 30, 2019, 06:14:15 pm »
Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
Very sad to hear the news on the passing of my friend, Senator Thad Cochran. He was a real Senator with incredible values - even flew back to Senate from Mississippi for important Healthcare Vote when he was desperately ill. Thad never let our Country (or me) down!
Chuck Schumer @SenSchumer
Thad Cochran was one of the most personally decent, nicest people I’ve met in my career in the Senate. He will be missed.
Sen Dianne Feinstein @SenFeinstein
Saddened to hear of Senator Thad Cochran’s passing. I had the pleasure of serving with him on the Senate Appropriations Committee for many years. He was a true gentleman. My thoughts are with his family and the people of Mississippi.
Senator Dick Durbin @SenatorDurbin
Thad Cochran was a Mississippi gentleman and a valuable colleague & friend. Over the years, he quietly became a committed friend & supporter of DC Children’s Hospital. Helping DC children & families carried no political dividend but was the sort of kindness that defined Thad.
Senator Roger Wicker @SenatorWicker
Thad Cochran was a giant in the United States Senate and one of the greatest champions Mississippi has ever known. My wife, Gayle, and I extend our heartfelt condolences to the Cochran family at this time.
Ronna McDaniel @GOPChairwoman
For over 45 years, Senator Thad Cochran represented the people of Mississippi in Congress with honor.

We remember his life and thank him for his service to our nation.

Rest in Peace, Senator Cochran.
Leader McConnell @senatemajldr
My statement regarding the passing of my friend and former colleague, Senator Thad Cochran.
Sen. Susan Collins @SenatorCollins
Senator Thad Cochran was a gentleman, a scholar, & a wonderful friend. From his enlistment in the Navy to his decades as Mississippi’s Senator, he served his country & his state well. My condolences to his wife Kay & to his children & to the people of the state he so loved.
U.S. Senator Cindy Hyde-Smith @SenHydeSmith
Mississippi has suffered a tremendous loss today. Senator Thad Cochran was an incredible leader and a most respected member of the United States Senate. Mississippi is a better place because of his leadership that was guided by wisdom and faith.
Amy Klobuchar @amyklobuchar
Thad was civil to everyone regardless of party.  Prayers for his family today.

Offline Mod1

« Reply #482 on: May 30, 2019, 06:15:51 pm »
Merging with Obituaries thread, as story already was posted there.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #483 on: May 30, 2019, 06:50:36 pm »
Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrumpChuck Schumer @SenSchumerSen Dianne Feinstein @SenFeinsteinSenator Dick Durbin @SenatorDurbinSenator Roger Wicker @SenatorWickerRonna McDaniel @GOPChairwomanLeader McConnell @senatemajldrSen. Susan Collins @SenatorCollinsU.S. Senator Cindy Hyde-Smith @SenHydeSmithAmy Klobuchar @amyklobuchar

@Once-Ler

Did anyone worth a damn have anything nice to say about him?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Applewood

« Reply #484 on: May 30, 2019, 07:12:29 pm »
Saw Leon Redbone perform at a free concert at some dinky festival years ago.  Maybe not everyone's cup of tea -- a bit quirky -- but I liked him.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Rest in peace, Mr. Redbone.

« Reply #485 on: May 30, 2019, 07:30:04 pm »
@Once-Ler

Did anyone worth a damn have anything nice to say about him?
I thought you were a Trumpbot.  Did you read my post?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #486 on: May 30, 2019, 07:49:33 pm »
Redbone - My Walking Stick (1975) HQ

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #487 on: May 31, 2019, 10:20:03 pm »
https://apnews.com/31eaed8011d143469fec6feb38072d54more at link...

Nice hit AP.  They could have started...

or

or
Well, I thought the job of a US Senator was to represent his State's interests in DC. Apparently, he did one heckuva job...
(Wonder if they treated Byrd the same way.)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #488 on: May 31, 2019, 10:22:17 pm »
Saw Leon Redbone perform at a free concert at some dinky festival years ago.  Maybe not everyone's cup of tea -- a bit quirky -- but I liked him.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Rest in peace, Mr. Redbone.
He was great in 'Oh Brother, Where art Thou'. Sorry to see him go.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #489 on: June 01, 2019, 12:14:53 am »
Roky Erickson
Cult musician dies at 71

Erickson began his musical career as a member of The 13th Floor Elevators, very nearly sharing the stage with Janis Joplin before she instead decided to go to San Francisco. Even without Joplin, the Texas-based  Elevators had some modest success and helped develop the sound that came to be known as psychedelic rock, most famously with the marginal hit "You're Gonna Miss Me," which remains his signature song.

The Elevators were notorious for their open use of copious amounts of numerous illegal drugs, which ultimately took a major toll on Erickson's mental health, and he was institutionalized for three years for schizophrenic episodes that largely went ineffectively treated until the 21st century. After his release, he continued to perform through the 1970s before he developed writer's block in the 1980s. He returned to music in the 1990s, having developed a cult following both among established musicians and (because of his schizophrenia) the "outsider music" community.

Obituary from Variety

Wikipedia

"You're Gonna Miss Me"

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #490 on: June 01, 2019, 12:46:16 am »
My two favourite cuts by the 13th Floor Elevators:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

RIP Roky Erickson

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #491 on: June 01, 2019, 11:09:19 am »

Frank Lucas: Man who inspired American Gangster dies aged 88

Frank Lucas, the notorious Harlem drug lord whose life inspired the 2007 film American Gangster, has died.

Born in North Carolina in 1930, he moved to New York where he became a prolific heroin trafficker throughout the 1960s and 1970s.

In 1976 he was sentenced to decades in prison, but later provided evidence to police and was freed after five years.

A family member told US media he died from natural causes, aged 88, on Thursday in New Jersey.

Read more at: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48482067

Frank Lucas
American Gangster movie

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #492 on: June 01, 2019, 01:25:49 pm »
Frank Lucas
American Gangster movie

@TomSea

They must have used the wrong photo because we all KNOW it was dat ole debbil,de white mans what dun got de black mans a-dicted.

I am sure that any drugs that old black man was caught with were drugs he had seized from some ebil white mans dealer in an effort to keep drugs out of the black community.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #493 on: June 05, 2019, 11:55:06 am »
Obituaries
James Ketchum, who conducted mind-altering experiments on soldiers, dies at 87
By Harrison Smith
June 4 at 10:28 PM

James S. Ketchum, an Army psychiatrist who studied the effects of LSD and other hallucinogenic drugs on American soldiers, overseeing classified Cold War-era experiments that spurred a debate on medical ethics, died May 27 at his home in Peoria, Ariz. He was 87.

His wife, Judy Ketchum, said she did not know the cause.

As American scientists raced to develop new missile systems in the 1960s, vying to outpace the Soviet Union in battlefield advances, Dr. Ketchum stood on the front lines of a parallel effort to modernize — some said civilize — human warfare.

Read more at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/james-ketchum-who-conducted-mind-altering-experiments-on-soldiers-dies-at-87/2019/06/04/7b5ad322-86cc-11e9-a491-25df61c78dc4_story.html

More if one runs into the WaPo paywall, there is this article among many others: http://www.oneworldmedia.us/news/james-ketchum-who-conducted-lsd-experiments-on-soldiers-dies-at-87/

wikipedia

It sounds sinister today to speak about this. I have no idea if back in the day, it could have been seen as a "noble cause" per the first article.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #494 on: June 05, 2019, 12:53:45 pm »
More if one runs into the WaPo paywall, there is this article among many others: http://www.oneworldmedia.us/news/james-ketchum-who-conducted-lsd-experiments-on-soldiers-dies-at-87/

wikipedia

It sounds sinister today to speak about this. I have no idea if back in the day, it could have been seen as a "noble cause" per the first article.

@TomSea

I sort of vaguely remember people talking about this in the 70's and claiming there was never any shortage of Acid Test volunteers. IIRC,Timothy Leary had a US Goobermint research grant at the college where he taught to research the various uses of LSD.

Unfortunately for LSD and the people that could have benefited from it,the military had a different focus than mental health care,and not all the subjects were volunteers,and it seems the researchers might not have been as careful about dosage size as they could have/should have been.

AND......,since the government wanted to weaponize it,that meant it could not also be used as a mental health tool. After all,you can't have it as both a tool to help Americans and a tool to destroy the minds of our enemies,can you? Hard to get financing and hard to keep people from talking about it if you try.

I freely admit that my taking LSD and similar mind-altering drugs in the 70's gave me insights into things that were bothering me on a sub-conscious level that I didn't even know were the cause of many of my physical reactions like anger and violence. It came as a shock to be to be tripping and sitting in a bar,and then watching someone else act out in anger,and be able to see myself in them. Most importantly,I remembered how foolish and senseless that other person had been once I came down and was back to normal,and recognizing that you HAVE a problem and now know the SOURCE of the problem is key to eliminating it as a problem.

I also freely admit I was more than a little suicidal back then,and taking LSD and similar drugs are the only reason I am alive today. You can't beat something unless you can understand it and how it affects you.

The media played their part in demonizing drugs like LSD and "magic mushrooms" by publicizing stories of mass murders supposedly done under the influence of mind-altering drugs,but I suspect in most cases it was alcohol and not LSD. The truth is there were reasons hippies became known as being passive and non-violent,and those reasons were related to their drug use.

Then again,the hippies knew they were taking mind-altering drugs,and unlike the "test monkey soldiers" that had scientists trying to convince them they were insane and violent,the hippies had people keeping them mellow.

To this very day I think there should be mandatory hard time in prison given to anyone who gives anyone else any sort of mind-altering drug without their permission.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 12:56:14 pm by sneakypete »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #495 on: June 06, 2019, 10:52:46 pm »
Dr. John
Louisiana funk musician dies at 77

M. John Rebbenack, who had been an accomplished session musician since the late 1950s, eventually rose to fame in the late 1960s and early 1970s as a headline act with a cult following. His New Orleans funk rock styling was distinctive, as was his vocal styling. His best-known songs were "Right Place Wrong Time" (his lone top-40 hit) and "My Opinionation," the theme song to the hit teen sitcom Blossom. Rebbenack died of a heart attack June 6.

Obituary from the New Orleans Advocate

Wikipedia

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #496 on: June 06, 2019, 10:56:01 pm »
Dr. John

Oh, no!  One of my favorites.  I saw him with White Trash many years ago. 

A tribute to Dr. John:

« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 10:56:59 pm by Sanguine »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #497 on: June 06, 2019, 11:00:36 pm »
Coincidentally, I saw Dr. John perform at the same festival where I saw Leon Redbone (see my comment following Mr. Redbone's obit).  The festival itself was awful, but the free concerts were really good.  Dr. John was just so cool.

Rest in peace, Mr. Rebennack.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #498 on: June 06, 2019, 11:23:19 pm »
Dr. John

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyMd19sE6U4

This one is my favorite piece with Dr John giving Etta James a little vocal help,not that Etta James ever NEEDED any vocal help from anyone. This one is special. I am guessing they had some history,and there was some smouldering fire working in the background. You could see it in their eyes. You will just never see a live performance by anyone any better than this one. Two old pros,blowing the room away,and that was a tough crowd to impress.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #499 on: June 06, 2019, 11:29:49 pm »
@sneakypete

Awesome performance.  Thanks.