Author Topic: Obituaries for 2019  (Read 106983 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Obituaries for 2019
« Reply #450 on: May 17, 2019, 10:06:39 pm »
Herman Wouk was among the best of the best.

@truth_seeker

Yes,he was,and the world just can't afford to lose intellects like that.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #451 on: May 17, 2019, 11:33:56 pm »
@truth_seeker

Yes,he was,and the world just can't afford to lose intellects like that.

Fora time I devoured "Historical Fiction," from Wouk, Leon Uris, James Michener and others.

And an author names GTerry C. Johnston, who wrote mainly about the plains Indians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_C._Johnston
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 12:50:11 am by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #452 on: May 18, 2019, 03:53:21 am »
'Missus A'Wiggins'

RIP Mr. Conway. Thanks for all the laughs.

BTW His son (Tim Conway Jr. is back on the radio in LA tonight, talking about his father, running an interview with Carol Burnett, etc.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #453 on: May 18, 2019, 03:58:06 am »
RIP Grumpy Cat . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #454 on: May 21, 2019, 03:07:58 am »
Niki Lauda
Open-wheel racer dies at 70

Lauda was an Austrian race car driver who rose to fame in the early 1970s on the Formula One circuit. His rivalry with James Hunt, the flashy contender prone to spectacular crashes, culminated in a crash at the 1976 German Grand Prix that left Lauda with severe burns and scars that remained the rest of his life. Lauda successfully came back from those injuries to continue his racing career into the mid-1980s, eventually winning three world championships overall. The rivalry between Lauda and Hunt was documented in the 2013 film Rush.

Obituary from Fox Sports

Wikipedia
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #455 on: May 24, 2019, 03:39:21 pm »
Jim Glaser
Tompall Glaser's youngest brother dies at 81

Jim Glaser was the youngest of the three Glaser Brothers, along with his brothers Chuck and Tompall. As a family band, the Glaser Brothers had a string of top-40 country hits from 1966 until Chuck mostly retired in 1975 (they reunited for a brief time in the early 1980s); Jim was the high tenor of the trio. In the late 1970s, Tompall and Jim both embarked on solo careers, with Jim's being the most successful: his 1984 hit "You're Getting to Me Again" was the only song by any of the Glaser brothers to ever reach number one on the country charts.

Glaser, who also worked extensively as a session vocalist, died April 6 of a heart attack.

Obituary from MusicRow.com

Wikipedia

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 03:56:30 pm by jmyrlefuller »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #456 on: May 24, 2019, 04:30:43 pm »

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #457 on: May 25, 2019, 06:58:17 pm »
Navajo Code Talker, New Mexico Sen. John Pinto has died at 94

New Mexico state Sen. and Navajo Code Talker John Pinto is being remembered for his dedication and service to San Juan and McKinley counties and to the Navajo Nation.

Pinto, 94, died on May 24 in Gallup, according to a press release from the Gallup Police Department.

More

Wikipedia

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #458 on: May 25, 2019, 10:14:38 pm »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #459 on: May 26, 2019, 04:02:58 pm »
Bart Starr, 1960s Green Bay quarterback, dies at 85

Legendary Green Bay Packers quarterback Bart Starr died Sunday at the age of 85, according to the team.

The Packers announced Starr, a catalyst of Vince Lombardi's powerhouse teams of the 1960s, had died citing his family. He had been in failing health since suffering a serious stroke in 2014....

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/bart-starr-1960s-green-bay-quarterback-dies-at-85

He was legendary.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #460 on: May 26, 2019, 05:26:06 pm »
Legendary indeed.  I remember watching Starr and the Packers with my Dad.  Dad considered Starr the best QB of his generation.

Rest in peace, Bart Starr.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #461 on: May 26, 2019, 07:47:58 pm »
Legendary indeed.  I remember watching Starr and the Packers with my Dad.  Dad considered Starr the best QB of his generation.
@Applewood
That's exactly what Starr was. Your dad was right. (And, yes, he was better than Johnny Unitas.)

RIP.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #462 on: May 26, 2019, 09:59:06 pm »
@Applewood
That's exactly what Starr was. Your dad was right. (And, yes, he was better than Johnny Unitas.)

RIP.

I remember Unitas too, but I would have to dig up stats and compare them and I'm too lazy to do that now.  LOL  So I guess I'll have to take your word for it.

I do believe that these guys are a heckuva lot better than so many other famous QBs out there, past and present, who were/are more hype than skill or talent. 

By the way, I didn't know that Starr was considered mediocre in college.  Apparently, he blossomed with the Packers.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #463 on: May 26, 2019, 11:47:11 pm »
Alan Young, ‘Mister Ed’ Star, Dies at 96

It should be said that Alan Young was a kind of radio star a decade and a half before he began horsing around on television: he was Jimmy Durante's successor protege to Garry Moore on radio, then had his own show for awhile toward the beginning of the end of the network radio era.

RIP.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #464 on: May 27, 2019, 12:05:46 am »

It should be said that Alan Young was a kind of radio star a decade and a half before he began horsing around on television: he was Jimmy Durante's successor protege to Garry Moore on radio, then had his own show for awhile toward the beginning of the end of the network radio era.

RIP.

Godspeed Wilbur. I met him once.  His current gig was Scrooge McDuck on Duck Tales.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #465 on: May 27, 2019, 12:07:52 pm »

RIP.
That one's a few years old. 2016, I think.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #466 on: May 27, 2019, 01:47:04 pm »

Indeed, IMDB lists his death as happening on May 19, 2016.  Here's his IMDB entry.

Interesting, he did a lot of voice work from 1979 onward.
Let it burn.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #467 on: May 27, 2019, 03:24:06 pm »
@jmyrlefuller
Indeed.

Somehow, it arrived in an e-mail newsfeed. I hit the link and didn't even see the date.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #468 on: May 27, 2019, 04:05:25 pm »
@jmyrlefuller
Indeed.

Somehow, it arrived in an e-mail newsfeed. I hit the link and didn't even see the date.

I get MSN News .  One of the things that irks me is that the "news" sometimes consists of old stories. Periodically, they repeat the same story every other week.  And then there are "news stories" which are actually ads.   9999hair out0000

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #469 on: May 27, 2019, 04:07:54 pm »
Indeed, IMDB lists his death as happening on May 19, 2016.  Here's his IMDB entry.

Interesting, he did a lot of voice work from 1979 onward.

I think cartoon voice work was his favorite gig.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #470 on: May 27, 2019, 04:34:25 pm »
I remember Unitas too, but I would have to dig up stats and compare them and I'm too lazy to do that now.  LOL  So I guess I'll have to take your word for it.

I do believe that these guys are a heckuva lot better than so many other famous QBs out there, past and present, who were/are more hype than skill or talent. 

By the way, I didn't know that Starr was considered mediocre in college.  Apparently, he blossomed with the Packers.
@Applewood
Bart Starr and Johnny Unitas were compared frequently during and after their careers. And you could understand why: from 1958-1968, either the Packers or the Colts went to the NFL championship game in every season but one. (1963, when the Giants played the Bears thanks in part to Starr missing the second of two Green Bay-Chicago games with an injury.) In five of those seasons that they threw enough to qualify, Starr ranked higher than Unitas by the league's rating system and had a higher yards-per-pass average than Unitas did.

Both men played in an era in which quarterbacks weren't just field officers carrying out orders from the generals on the sidelines; quarterbacks were expected not only to help develop game plans but to change them on the spot, on the fly, often improvisationally. And Starr did it better, and he has the rings to prove it: he won five to Unitas's three, and that includes the Super Bowl. (Starr's team won the first two of those, too.)

I suspect one of the big reasons why Johnny Unitas's image loomed larger than Bart Starr's was the 1958 NFL championship game, the one so widely credited with putting the league on the map once and for all, the one in which football and television finally married in earnest and became the first such championship game to go to sudden death overtime, not to mention the one in which Unitas's Colts beat Charlie Conerly and the Giants. Because it was so long considered the greatest game ever played, too, Unitas earned an image so overwhelming that all those end-of-the-century polls nailed him as one of if not the greatest quarterbacks in the game's history.

The so-called Vince Lombardi system in Green Bay probably joined that to underrate Bart Starr in the public mind long range. The popular belief is that Lombardi teams won it on the ground and didn't pass as much, but the popular belief is actually wrong: Lombardi liked to strike early with passing, then mix in the running game as much to keep the clock on the move as anything else. You could say, as one analyst has, that Lombardi's Packers didn't win because they rushed, they built up rushing yardage because they won. But it's also true that as the 1960s went forward the Packers' running game actually faded while Starr's raw passing statistics got better. In fact, his arguable best season was 1966---when the Packers didn't have a running game to speak of but Starr threw fourteen touchdowns against a measly three interceptions and averaged nine yards a pass.

Would you like to see how Bart Starr and Johnny Unitas compare in the postseason?

Even in 1967, when Unitas won the NFL's Player of the Year award, Starr proved better when it mattered. The Colts played the Rams for a divisional playoff spot and the Rams flattened the Colts, 34-10 . . . but in round one of the playoffs the Packers flattened the Rams (remember, this was a season in which the Rams had the fabled Fearsome Foursome defensive line) 28-7, with Starr riddling them for 17 complete passes in 23 tries for 222 yards.

These were two great quarterbacks in the era when quarterbacks really were trusted more on the field, but the evidence says Bart Starr was better.

By the way, for those who might be wondering: Tom Brady's postseason completion percentage is only 2.2 higher than Starr . . . but Brady has a slightly higher interception percentage and a slightly lower yards per pass average. Starr's postseason yards per pass completion average (13.5) is also higher than Brady's. (11.1) Even allowing the changes in the NFL's postseason and the length of Brady's career, that's quite a difference.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 04:35:17 pm by EasyAce »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #471 on: May 27, 2019, 06:21:34 pm »
This just in:

Bill Buckner dies at 69 after battling dementia

Buckner, who was hammered mercilessly over the Mookie Wilson grounder that skipped between his legs to end Game Six of the 1986 World Series. Lewy Body Dementia. (The same illness that killed one of my mother's cousins a couple of years ago.)

A good man and a good player who suffered for his manager's lapse (Buckner should have been removed for defense for the bottom of the tenth) but who eventually developed a fine sense of humour about it: when he visited Shea Stadium years later, he spotted Wilson (then a Mets coach) on the field and hollered, "Mookie, what do you say you hit me some grounders?"

RIP.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #472 on: May 27, 2019, 07:25:46 pm »
@EasyAce

Thank you for the stats, history lesson and your insight on Bart Starr and Johnny Unitas.   :beer:

Offline Applewood

« Reply #473 on: May 27, 2019, 07:31:08 pm »
Rest in peace, Mr. Buckner.  The late Robin Williams is said to have had LBD too.  Tragic.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #474 on: May 27, 2019, 07:44:04 pm »
My father, who died at age 69, had Lewy Body dementia, as well. It's awful to see someone die at such a relatively young age.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org