Author Topic: Obituaries for 2019  (Read 106406 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Obituaries for 2019
« Reply #425 on: May 16, 2019, 11:24:00 pm »
Saw his pyramid at The Louvre. Thank you for the lovely buildings

RIP.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #426 on: May 17, 2019, 11:28:46 am »
Tardar Sauce
Cat with an overbite who went viral as Grumpy Cat dies at 7

Tardar Sauce (at right) alongside another meme star, the "Overly Attached Girlfriend." (credit: Gage Skidmore)

The American Shorthair was born in 2012 with dwarfism and an underbite, giving it a perpetual frown. Although it appeared grumpy, it was largely a normal cat in regard to its behavior. The image of it quickly became a meme, which allowed its owner, Tabatha Bundesen, to leave her job at a chain restaurant.

Tardar Sauce appeared in numerous "legit" media, particularly from 2012 to 2014, culminating in the made-for-TV movie Grumpy Cat's Worst Christmas Ever, in which the cat appeared as itself and was voiced by Aubrey Plaza.

Tardar Sauce died May 14 from a urinary tract infection.

Obituary from the BBC

Wikipedia
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #427 on: May 17, 2019, 11:38:49 am »
Tardar Sauce
Cat with an overbite who went viral as Grumpy Cat dies at 7

Tardar Sauce (at right) alongside another meme star, the "Overly Attached Girlfriend." (credit: Gage Skidmore)

The American Shorthair was born in 2012 with dwarfism and an underbite, giving it a perpetual frown. Although it appeared grumpy, it was largely a normal cat in regard to its behavior. The image of it quickly became a meme, which allowed its owner, Tabatha Bundesen, to leave her job at a chain restaurant.

Tardar Sauce appeared in numerous "legit" media, particularly from 2012 to 2014, culminating in the made-for-TV movie Grumpy Cat's Worst Christmas Ever, in which the cat appeared as itself and was voiced by Aubrey Plaza.

Tardar Sauce died May 14 from a urinary tract infection.

Obituary from the BBC

Wikipedia

@jmyrlefuller

Seeing that cat never failed to crack me up.

I am guessing the dwarfism was a factor in her early death.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #428 on: May 17, 2019, 11:42:37 am »
No not Grumpy Cat!!! 888cryingkitty 888cryingkitty 888cryingkitty

Ping @Hopalong Ginsberg
@Cyber Liberty

Grumpy is with Morris and other famous cats at the Rainbow Bridge.

rest in peace little cat

Offline Applewood

« Reply #429 on: May 17, 2019, 01:22:33 pm »
@jmyrlefuller

Seeing that cat never failed to crack me up.

I am guessing the dwarfism was a factor in her early death.

There is a "breed" of cats called munchkins.  Someone thought it would be brilliant to breed cats born with this birth defect and create a whole new breed.  Some cat fancier organizations will not recognize munchkins as a legitimate breed -- for good reason.  Dwarfed cats like munchkins suffer from a host of afflictions that shorten their life span.  Deliberately breeding dwarfed cats is viewed as cruelty. 

Seven years is a short life.  My three cats all lived to their middle teens.  A close friend's previous cat lived to be 21.    Many of the advances in human medicine have benefitted our furry friends as well. 

I have a Grumpy Cat wall calendar.  Friends have Grumpy Cat mugs and other things.  I just love her "sayings."  Next month's Grumpy Cat saying is "I had fun once.  It was awful."  LOL

Rest in peace, sweet cat.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #430 on: May 17, 2019, 02:34:05 pm »
RIP Tard. 8888crybaby

I've been driving through her hometown many times on the way to our Castle. It's here in AZ.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #431 on: May 17, 2019, 02:36:54 pm »
RIP, Grumpy Cat.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #432 on: May 17, 2019, 03:20:11 pm »
There is a "breed" of cats called munchkins.  Someone thought it would be brilliant to breed cats born with this birth defect and create a whole new breed.  Some cat fancier organizations will not recognize munchkins as a legitimate breed -- for good reason.  Dwarfed cats like munchkins suffer from a host of afflictions that shorten their life span.  Deliberately breeding dwarfed cats is viewed as cruelty. 

@Applewood

I am personally very pissed-off right now about another form of cruelty. There were 3 Mallards living along the bank on the road I pass over every day to go anywhere. Started as two,a drank and a hen,but last week another hen joined them. Beautiful and harmless creatures,they were practically tame. People would fish along the banks near them,and they wouldn't even bother to fly away.

No harm to anything in the world other than insects,yet when I left the house yesterday the drake was lying dead right square in the middle of one lane of the road. Some SOB purposely swerved over the yellow line in order to run over that duck. No reason to do it,other than he just wanted to kill something to be killing it. Seeing him and his hen used to bring a smile to my face at least twice a day as I left home and came back,and now even the hens have gone.

I would really like to find out who that was and have some works with him. Yes,I know these were wild ducks,not pets. I don't care. Someone who will purposely do something like that would also purposely run over a human if they thought they could get away with it,and I happen to like Mallards more than I like humans.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #433 on: May 17, 2019, 03:25:08 pm »
Someone who will purposely do something like that would also purposely run over a human if they thought they could get away with it,and I happen to like Mallards more than I like humans.
I agree. I once was driving behind a pickup truck on a Pennsylvania country road and it sure looked like the driver intentionally swerved in order to hit a groundhog crossing the road. It didn't do any good for me to scream at him, but I did. Only a sicko would intentionally kill an animal like that.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Applewood

« Reply #434 on: May 17, 2019, 03:48:49 pm »
@sneakypete

Words?  Not me.  I'm ordinarily not violent and am something of a weakling, but my metal cane could give that guy a lesson he wouldn't forget. 

I worked in a building that was across the street from a trail leading to the Allegheny River in Pittsburgh.  After lunch I would take a walk along the trail to visit the resident ducks and geese.  Around this time of year, the ducks and geese would have their young.  The word "cute" doesn't begin to describe these little yellow fuzzballs.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #435 on: May 17, 2019, 04:41:58 pm »
@sneakypete

Words?  Not me.  I'm ordinarily not violent and am something of a weakling, but my metal cane could give that guy a lesson he wouldn't forget. 

I worked in a building that was across the street from a trail leading to the Allegheny River in Pittsburgh.  After lunch I would take a walk along the trail to visit the resident ducks and geese.  Around this time of year, the ducks and geese would have their young.  The word "cute" doesn't begin to describe these little yellow fuzzballs.

@Applewood

AND.....,they are entirely harmless to everything but insects,and beautiful. Especially the male Mallards.

They also mate for life,which puts them one step ahead of most humans,including me.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #436 on: May 17, 2019, 04:42:05 pm »
Herman Wouk, Author of 'The Caine Mutiny' and 'The Winds of War,' Dies at 103

Many of his novels, including 'Marjorie Morningstar,' lived beyond the page on the big screen, on Broadway or as highly rated miniseries.

Herman Wouk, the author of the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel The Caine Mutiny that became a Broadway hit and then a Columbia Pictures classic that starred Humphrey Bogart in a career-defining performance, has died. He was 103.

Wouk died Friday in his sleep at his home in Palm Springs, his literary agent Amy Rennert told the Associated Press.

Wouk also wrote The Winds of War and War and Remembrance, two historical novels about World War II that were published in 1971 and 1978, respectively, and transformed into ratings-grabbing 1983 and 1988 ABC miniseries that featured Robert Mitchum as U.S. Navy Captain Victor "Pug" Henry.

More

Wikipedia

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #437 on: May 17, 2019, 05:09:45 pm »
Herman Wouk was among the best of the best.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #438 on: May 17, 2019, 05:10:28 pm »
Herman Wouk was among the best of the best.

Yes, he was.  And, made it to 103!

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #439 on: May 17, 2019, 05:11:42 pm »
First Grumpy now Herman.

Thank you for writing “the winds of war” and “war and Remembrance” I still have those books from AP honors history .
RIP

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #440 on: May 17, 2019, 05:32:05 pm »
Herman Wouk got his first major professional break writing . . . for radio comedy legend Fred Allen. When Allen died, Wouk wrote this elegy in The New York Times the following day:

The death of Fred Allen, America's greatest satiric wit in our time, brings to mind Hazlitt's elegaic paragraph on the Restoration actors:

Authors after their deaths live in their works; players only in their epitaphs and the breath of common traditions. They die and leave the world no copy . . . In a few years, nothing is known of them but that they were.

Fred Allen was an eminent comic actor. But without a doubt his great contribution to life in America came in the marvellous eighteen-year run of weekly satiric inventino which was the Fred Allen show on radio. His was the glory of being an original personality creating new forms of intelligent entertainment. He was without peer and without a successful imitator.

His knife-like comment on the passing show of the thirties and the forties came from sources no other comedian had access to. He was a self-educated man of wide reading; he was a tremendously talented writer; and he had the deep reticent love of life and of people which is the source of every true satirist's energy. Fred's wit lashed and stung. He could not suffer fools. In this he was like Swift and like Twain. But his generosity to the needy, his extraordinary loyalty to his associates (in a field not noted for long loyalties) showed the warmth of heart that made his satire sound and important.

Because his work was a unique kind of comic journalism, the written residue might have suffered the usual fate of journalism. Fred fortunately preserved a fraction of it in that fine volume of Americana, his recent book
Treadmill to Oblivion. When he died, he was working on his autobiography; the portion he completed will be published.

But the few writings he left will give future generations a slim notion at best of what sort of man he was. In Fred Allen, the voice of sanity spoke out for all Americans to hear, during a trying period of our history, in the classic and penetrating tones of comic satire. Because he lived and wrote and acted here, this land will always be a saner place to live in. That fact is his true monument.

Among others, Wouk was on Allen's writing staff for this:

Texaco Star Theater with Fred Allen, "Mountain Justice" (CBS, 13 November 1940)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #441 on: May 17, 2019, 06:26:47 pm »
@Applewood

AND.....,they are entirely harmless to everything but insects,and beautiful. Especially the male Mallards.

They also mate for life,which puts them one step ahead of most humans,including me.

Also, they are protective and caring of their little ones.  When I read stories of child abuse and neglect, I realize the birds are far better than us humans when it comes to the young and helpless.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #442 on: May 17, 2019, 07:14:43 pm »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #443 on: May 17, 2019, 07:26:22 pm »
Tim Conway Jr. has yet to return to his regular radio show. I look forward to his remarks. He spoke often of his more famous father.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline corbe

« Reply #444 on: May 17, 2019, 08:14:43 pm »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #445 on: May 17, 2019, 08:55:25 pm »
I forgot Herman Wouk wrote Marjorie
Morningstar

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #446 on: May 17, 2019, 09:12:27 pm »
Herman Wouk, one of my favorite authors.  He was brilliant!

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #447 on: May 17, 2019, 09:22:41 pm »

Winds of War & War and Remembrance were outstanding.

Because of them, I've read Stalin's biographies.  LOL!  Read 2 to get the fairest assessment.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #448 on: May 17, 2019, 09:27:25 pm »

Winds of War & War and Remembrance were outstanding.

Because of them, I've read Stalin's biographies.  LOL!  Read 2 to get the fairest assessment.

A fantastic scene from "War and Remembrance"

Aaron Jastrow's sermon on "Job" at Thereisienstadt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwqohkCRylY

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #449 on: May 17, 2019, 09:29:03 pm »

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1