Author Topic: Obituaries for 2019  (Read 106985 times)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Obituaries for 2019
« Reply #375 on: May 10, 2019, 02:35:17 am »
MY memory is when one of the constrictors had him pretty well wrapped up and they cut to commercial. When they came back he was free  and the snake was gone. I wonder what happened to that poor creature?

Someone figured out where the head ends and the neck begins.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #376 on: May 12, 2019, 06:22:18 am »
Peggy Lipton: Twin Peaks and The Mod Squad star dies aged 72

Actor shot to fame in the 1960s playing a hippie undercover cop and returning to television with David Lynch’s cult series

Peggy Lipton, a star of the groundbreaking late 1960s TV show The Mod Squad and the 1990s show Twin Peaks, has died of cancer aged 72.

Lipton died surrounded by her family, her daughters, Rashida and Kidada Jones, said in a statement.

“We are heartbroken that our beloved mother passed away from cancer today,” they said. “She made her journey peacefully with her daughters and nieces by her side. We feel so lucky for every moment we spent with her. We can’t put all of our feelings into words right now but we will say: Peggy was, and will always be our beacon of light, both in this world and beyond. She will always be a part of us.”

Read more at: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/may/12/peggy-lipton-twin-peaks-and-the-mod-squad-star-dies-aged-72

wikipedia - Peggy Lipton
wikipedia - Mod Squad
wikipedia - Twin Peaks

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

I've heard this. I didn't know she sang this. Pretty good.  I've heard this song, I don't know if it was her version. Maybe I heard Linda Ronstadt and the Stone Poneys version.

Mod Squad mates,    Clarence Williams III and   Michael Cole are still living.

Clarence Williams III has been in a number of films I've seen.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 06:24:27 am by TomSea »

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #377 on: May 12, 2019, 12:41:23 pm »
Just saw the news about Peggy Lipton on Bing trending news. Vaguely remember Odd Squad because I was a kid then but I do remember her on Twin Peaks. Her daughter was in The Office.
RIP.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Applewood

« Reply #378 on: May 12, 2019, 12:41:56 pm »
Mod Squad was a big deal when I was in my late teens-early 20s.  Used to watch the show religiously every week.  Not long ago, one of those retro-tv stations ran the series.  I made it through about a quarter of an episode when I changed the channel.  The show seems so lame today. 

Lipton's character always seemed way too serious to me.  Sullen, actually. She was my least favorite character on the show.  Of course, as a hormonal teenager, I was more interested in Michael Cole's character.  I do remember that back in the 1970s , Lipton's marriage to Quincy Jones raised some eyebrows.  Mixed racial couples still weren't as accepted as they are now. 

Anyway, rest in peace, Miss Lipton.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #379 on: May 12, 2019, 01:13:42 pm »
Mod Squad was a big deal when I was in my late teens-early 20s.  Used to watch the show religiously every week.  Not long ago, one of those retro-tv stations ran the series.  I made it through about a quarter of an episode when I changed the channel.  The show seems so lame today. 

@Applewood

I get a lot of those channels on my HD antenna,and I am the same way about the westerns I used to love as a kid. Real formula snooze fests. About the only stuff that still holds together is stuff like Alfred Hitchcock Presents,The Twilight Zone,and similar dramas.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Applewood

« Reply #380 on: May 12, 2019, 01:32:13 pm »
@Applewood

I get a lot of those channels on my HD antenna,and I am the same way about the westerns I used to love as a kid. Real formula snooze fests. About the only stuff that still holds together is stuff like Alfred Hitchcock Presents,The Twilight Zone,and similar dramas.

I still watch westerns -- mainly in homage to my late father.  When I was a kid, he and I used to watch Bonanza, Rawhide, the Virginian, etc. etc. all the time.  One of my favorite childhood memories. What irks me nowadays is that sometime in the 1960s, westerns became politically correct.  Stupid -- since in the era when these westerns were set, people weren't tolerant of Indians, blacks, Jews or anyone else who wasn't purebred white. 

The Twilight Zone scared me as a kid, but as I grew older, I started watching reruns.  I realized that Rod Serling was something of a genius -- you might say way ahead of his time.  The stories on "Alfred Hitchcock" too were outstanding.  My favorite was the one where the woman killed her husband by clubbing him with a frozen roast.  Detectives looked all over for the murder weapon.  The wife had it baking in the oven.  She even invited the detectives to stay for dinner.  They ate the murder weapon.  LOL  Clever. 

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #381 on: May 12, 2019, 02:07:31 pm »
@sneakypete

“I Love Lucy” has a huge fan base still as well as “The Mary Tyler Moore” show. IMHO

@Applewood the story about the roast is Roald  Dahl author, and it was Alfred Hitchcock. With Barbara Bel Geddes as the woman.

Later redone in the 80s in “Tales of the Unexpected” starring Brian Blessed. It’s called “Lamb to the slaughter”

That was my favorite Alfred Hitchcock and I think Brian Blessed is a wonderful actor since I saw him in “I Claudius”. I read the short story in college.

my least favorite Alfred Hitchcock was his last one aired about the magician who sawed the woman in half. Gross.

Sorry about all this, can you tell I have a degree in British Lit?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 02:10:24 pm by Freya »

Offline skeeter

« Reply #382 on: May 12, 2019, 02:39:02 pm »

Lipton's character always seemed way too serious to me.  Sullen, actually. She was my least favorite character on the show.  Of course, as a hormonal teenager, I was more interested in Michael Cole's character.  I do remember that back in the 1970s , Lipton's marriage to Quincy Jones raised some eyebrows.  Mixed racial couples still weren't as accepted as they are now. 

Anyway, rest in peace, Miss Lipton.

My dad wouldn't have Mod Squad on TV if they paid him per episode. I had to settle for hearing the other kids talk about it at school on Wednesday mornings.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #383 on: May 12, 2019, 02:47:35 pm »
@Freya   

Don't apologize.  Been a long time since I watched I Claudius.  Saw it when it was on PBS and I have the whole series on DVD.  Should really drag it out and binge watch it again.  Brian Blessed played Augustus Caesar, right?     My favorite character was the ruthless, murderous Livia played by Sian Phillips.  That woman was evil.

I had forgotten that Barbara Bel Geddes was the wife in that Hitchcock episode.  Of course, I remembered her from the original Dallas series.  When I saw the Hitchcock episode years later, I looked at the wife and thought she looked familiar.  And she was.   

TV today just isn't as good as it used to be.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #384 on: May 12, 2019, 03:00:59 pm »

She was a beauty.   

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #385 on: May 12, 2019, 03:06:30 pm »
@sneakypete

“I Love Lucy” has a huge fan base still

@Freya

There is just no excuse for that. Millions of young girls,including my ex,grew up with her as a role model for married women. Biggest fight we ever got into was over her insisting we watch that vapid crap instead of something I wanted to watch. Since I was the one working and paying the bills,I told her we were going to watch what I wanted to watch,and she blew up. Not that it did her any good. REALLY pissed me off because by then all the Lucy shows were re-runs anyhow,and she had already seen them. As well as learned her lessons on how to act from Lucy.

I might even go so far as to say their should have been a bounty put on her head,as well as the heads of her writers.

as well as “The Mary Tyler Moore” show. IMHO

She was just a harmless airhead. I saw her show a couple of times while visiting friends,and never could figure out why anyone watched it. Back then if you wanted to be entertained,you were better off reading a book. The 50's had more intelligent tv shows than the 60's. Hell,Hee Haw was on of the bright and shining intellectual stars of tv in the 60's.

@Applewood the story about the roast is Roald  Dahl author, and it was Alfred Hitchcock. With Barbara Bel Geddes as the woman.

Later redone in the 80s in “Tales of the Unexpected” starring Brian Blessed. It’s called “Lamb to the slaughter”

THANK YOU! One of my favorite tv shows of the era,and I had forgotten all about it. I do think I have a DVD of all the episodes around here somewhere,though.

Or maybe it is my "Tales from the Cyrpt" DVD? Another GREAT series. LOVED the Cyrpt Critter!

« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 03:07:39 pm by sneakypete »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #386 on: May 12, 2019, 04:12:49 pm »

@Freya

There is just no excuse for that. Millions of young girls,including my ex,grew up with her as a role model for married women. Biggest fight we ever got into was over her insisting we watch that vapid crap instead of something I wanted to watch. Since I was the one working and paying the bills,I told her we were going to watch what I wanted to watch,and she blew up. Not that it did her any good. REALLY pissed me off because by then all the Lucy shows were re-runs anyhow,and she had already seen them. As well as learned her lessons on how to act from Lucy.

I might even go so far as to say their should have been a bounty put on her head,as well as the heads of her writers.

She was just a harmless airhead. I saw her show a couple of times while visiting friends,and never could figure out why anyone watched it. Back then if you wanted to be entertained,you were better off reading a book. The 50's had more intelligent tv shows than the 60's. Hell,Hee Haw was on of the bright and shining intellectual stars of tv in the 60's.

THANK YOU! One of my favorite tv shows of the era,and I had forgotten all about it. I do think I have a DVD of all the episodes around here somewhere,though.

Or maybe it is my "Tales from the Cyrpt" DVD? Another GREAT series. LOVED the Cyrpt Critter!

@sneakypete

My ex used a different show/character for a role model.  She liked "Married With Children" and Peggy Bundy.  That's how she got to be an ex.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #387 on: May 12, 2019, 05:36:54 pm »
@sneakypete

My ex used a different show/character for a role model.  She liked "Married With Children" and Peggy Bundy.  That's how she got to be an ex.

Did you score 4 touchdowns in one game?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #388 on: May 12, 2019, 06:36:46 pm »
@sneakypete

@Cyber Liberty

Both were manipulative,controlling bitches that didn't work,and did nothing but stay at home all day and think up schemes to try to control and harm their husbands. Granted,Ricky Ricardo was a saint compared to Al Bundy,but no matter how low Al sank,Peggy was there to put her foot on his head to push it under water.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #389 on: May 12, 2019, 07:23:22 pm »
Personally, I'd rather watch or (way better yet) listen to Our Miss Brooks.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #390 on: May 13, 2019, 01:01:10 pm »
Breaking

Doris Day has died at the age of 97

Obits to follow news just broke

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #391 on: May 13, 2019, 01:06:27 pm »
Breaking news

Obits to follow.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #392 on: May 13, 2019, 01:22:14 pm »
Doris Day
Mid-20th century iconic actress turned reclusive animal enthusiast dies at 97

Born to German immigrants in 1922 (though she believed herself to have been born in 1924), Doris Kappelhoff rose to stardom fairly quickly in the 1940s as a vocalist for various radio groups; her 1945 recording of "Sentimental Journey" with the Les Brown orchestra was her first hit. A major star who transitioned successfully from radio to film, Day had the image of a squeaky-clean icon of the 1950s and starred in several hit films, both musical-comedy and dramatic.

Bad-faith contracts made by her husband shortly before his unexpected death in the late 1960s led to her reluctantly moving to television, most consistently with the sitcom The Doris Day Show, which ran from 1968 to 1973. She largely retired after her last television special in 1975, retreating to her estate in Carmel, California, where she tended to her animals. She only made occasional appearances after that.

Married four times, her only son, Terry Melcher (who recorded as surf-rock duo Bruce & Terry in the 1960s), predeceased her in 2004. She was survived by one grandson, Ryan Melcher.

Obituary from the Associated Press

Wikipedia

"Que Será Será," Day's signature song

IMDB
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 01:26:02 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #393 on: May 13, 2019, 02:04:27 pm »
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline skeeter

« Reply #394 on: May 13, 2019, 02:10:54 pm »
She spent her retirement running a dog rescue - her high end hotel in down town Carmel is pet friendly and is always packed with dogs and their owners.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #395 on: May 13, 2019, 03:12:33 pm »
Doris Day was a wonderful performer.  Very pleasant singing voice.  I heard somewhere that she became a recluse when she lost her looks to aging.  I suppose her third husband losing her nest egg and the death of her only son didn't help.  She basically withdrew from people and focused primarily on animal causes. I understand her last husband complained Miss Day loved her animals more than him.

Rest in peace, Miss Day. 

Offline libertybele

« Reply #396 on: May 13, 2019, 10:43:41 pm »
I still watch westerns -- mainly in homage to my late father.  When I was a kid, he and I used to watch Bonanza, Rawhide, the Virginian, etc. etc. all the time.  One of my favorite childhood memories. What irks me nowadays is that sometime in the 1960s, westerns became politically correct.  Stupid -- since in the era when these westerns were set, people weren't tolerant of Indians, blacks, Jews or anyone else who wasn't purebred white. 

The Twilight Zone scared me as a kid, but as I grew older, I started watching reruns.  I realized that Rod Serling was something of a genius -- you might say way ahead of his time.  The stories on "Alfred Hitchcock" too were outstanding.  My favorite was the one where the woman killed her husband by clubbing him with a frozen roast.  Detectives looked all over for the murder weapon.  The wife had it baking in the oven.  She even invited the detectives to stay for dinner.  They ate the murder weapon.  LOL  Clever.

I used to watch westerns with my Dad as well.  We used to curl up together on a Saturday afternoon in the den with a bowl of cheddar cheese popcorn.  John Wayne was my absolute favorite!!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 10:45:42 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #397 on: May 14, 2019, 12:31:08 am »

@Applewood

I don't know where you got that idea,but it just wasn't true outside of the northern cities. My own grandmother was a full-blooded Tuscarora Indian,and lived with no trouble at all in rural NC,where most of the tribe had lived until the British paid them to move to NY. She even lived in Norfolk,Va with her white husband and 6 children with no problems until he was murdered one night. He had a sailing ship,and had been involved in smuggling in liquor from the Carribean. Neither she nor any of her children had a moment of trouble.

I have heard reports the typical white settler in western NC were friendlier with the Cherokee tribe than they were to the Colonial government officials. Talked with other part and full Indians I met in the army (LOTS of Indians in SF) from all over the country who never had any problems from white people because they were Indians.

I am NOT saying it didn't happen because I am sure it did in places. Especially with "Reservation Indians",who gave being a drunk a bad reputation. There is something about the blood chemistry of Indians that causes us to just not be able to handle drinking alcohol like most people. We tend to get aggressive and we tend to easily become alcoholics.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #398 on: May 14, 2019, 03:00:57 am »

2 American icons.

This is her I believe, in this "Juke Box Baby" video...sung by Perry Como. Amazing dancing.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

As I recall, she a big animal lover activist as well.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 03:02:41 am by TomSea »

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #399 on: May 14, 2019, 04:24:37 am »
I used to watch westerns with my Dad as well.  We used to curl up together on a Saturday afternoon in the den with a bowl of cheddar cheese popcorn.  John Wayne was my absolute favorite!!
@libertybele
When I came to have a thing for old-time radio twenty years ago or so, I started listening to some of the radio westerns.

I now believe the best of those westerns beats any television western ever. (Except, maybe, The Virginian.) Including:

Gunsmoke (The radio original is way better than the television version, which used a lot of the radio scripts, by the way, and it had a far different and more effective cast: William Conrad as Matt Dillon; Georgia Ellis as Kitty; Parley Baer as Chester; Howard McNear as Doc.)

The Six Shooter (Jimmy Stewart in the title role of a laconic traveler throughout the old west; the series' Christmas episode, "Britt Ponset's Christmas Carol," is a classic. And its choice of "The Highland Lament" for its theme music was the most inspired theme of any western, radio or television.)

Frontier Gentleman (John Dehner as a London Times reporter traveling through the old west and packing a swift gun himself when need be.)

Fort Laramie (Not to be confused with NBC-TV's eventual hit Western Laramie; it starred Raymond Burr as a Cavalry captain; if you listen closely enough, you could consider it his season-long audition for Perry Mason, since his character Lee Quince had a lot of Mason's traits.)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 04:26:02 am by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.