Author Topic: Obituaries for 2019  (Read 107281 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Obituaries for 2019
« Reply #350 on: April 26, 2019, 01:39:24 am »
John Havlicek
Boston Celtics legend dies at 79

A 13-time NBA All-Star, Havlicek played his entire 16-season career with the Boston Celtics, the longest career of any NBA player up to that point. He was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 1984. Renowned for his defensive abilities, Havlicek also held the ignonimous record for most missed shots; he still ranks second behind Kobe Bryant. He was known for being an outside shooter in an era before the three-point line. Havlicek's number 17 jersey is retired by the Bruins, who won eight NBA championships with him on their roster.

Havlicek died of compliations from Parkinson's disease April 25.

Obituary from the Boston Globe

Wikipedia
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #351 on: April 26, 2019, 02:21:06 am »
John Havlicek

A 13-time NBA All-Star, Havlicek played his entire 16-season career with the Boston Celtics, the longest career of any NBA player up to that point. He was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 1984. Renowned for his defensive abilities, Havlicek also held the ignonimous record for most missed shots; he still ranks second behind Kobe Bryant. He was known for being an outside shooter in an era before the three-point line. Havlicek's number 17 jersey is retired by the Bruins, who won eight NBA championships with him on their roster.

Wikipedia
Hondo's signature play, 1965 NBA East finals:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #352 on: April 26, 2019, 03:00:46 pm »
John Havlicek

Wikipedia

Sorry to see this.

The 1960 Ohio State Buckeye basketball team with Havlicek and Jerry Lucas was a thing of beauty.

RIP, John....
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #353 on: April 26, 2019, 03:17:28 pm »
Havlicek was from the Upper Ohio Valley (Bridgeport, OH), from which many legendary athletes came, e.g., the Niekro brothers, Lou Groza, Bill Mazeroski, wrestler Bobby Douglass, and more. A few years ago, Havlicek's alma mater, Bridgeport High School, named the new gymnasium after him, and he attended the ceremony.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #354 on: April 26, 2019, 03:55:46 pm »
Charity 'Sunshine' Tillemann-Dick: Opera singer with transplanted lungs dies

Charity "Sunshine" Tillemann-Dick, a venerated American opera singer who survived two double lung transplants, has died at age 35.

Tillemann-Dick was diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension in 2004, forcing her to undergo two emergency lung transplants needed to save her life.

Despite her illness Tillemann-Dick pursued a renowned career, performing her soprano work across the world.

Her family announced her death on her Facebook page on Wednesday.

Read more at: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48043765

No, I had not heard of her but found the story fascinating, may she rest in peace.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #355 on: April 28, 2019, 10:30:50 pm »
Former Senator Dick Lugar (R-IN) dies at 87

Luger with Obama in Russia.

Richard Lugar served as mayor of Indianapolis, Indiana from 1968 until being elected to the U.S. Senate in 1976. During his mayoral tenure, the city punished suburban sprawlers by absorbing all the suburbs to which people had fled into a unified city-county government. He was ousted in a 2012 primary. He ran for President in 1996 but was largely an also-ran in a crowded Republican primary.

Lugar's politics were difficult to define: he was generally fiscally aligned with the Republicans, took left-wing stances on gun control, immigration and climate change, was inconsistent on abortion, would vote in favor of almost any judicial nominee regardless of who nominated them, and supported the war in Iraq. He frequently cooperated with Democrats to get legislation passed.

Lugar died April 28 from an autoimmune nerve disease.

Obituary from USA Today

Wikipedia

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #356 on: April 29, 2019, 08:42:57 pm »
John Singleton , Oscar nominated director of “Boyz N The Hood” has died at 51. He was the first African American nominated for best director, AP reports
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Applewood

« Reply #357 on: April 29, 2019, 09:07:03 pm »
@Freya

I guess it's official now.  Singleton had been reported dead earlier, but the report was premature.    Rest in peace, Mr. Singleton.

John Singleton, Pioneering Director Of 'Boyz N The Hood,' Dies At 51[/b]

Less than two weeks after John Singleton suffered a massive stroke, the trailblazing filmmaker has died in Los Angeles at the age of 51. The director, who made history with 1991's Boyz n the Hood as the youngest person and first African-American ever nominated for a best director Oscar, died Monday at Cedars-Sinai Hospital after his family took him off life support.

"This was an agonizing decision, one that our family made, over a number of days, with the careful counsel of John's doctors," the family said in a statement released to NPR, adding that he "passed away peacefully, surrounded by his family and friends."

"John Singleton is a prolific, ground-breaking director," they said, "who changed the game and opened doors in Hollywood, a world that was just a few miles away, yet worlds away, from the neighborhood in which he grew up."

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/29/718219541/john-singleton-pioneering-director-of-boyz-n-the-hood-dies-at-51

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #358 on: April 30, 2019, 05:39:07 pm »
Gino Marchetti, Baltimore Colts legend and Pro Football Hall of Famer, dies at 93

He was rugged, rangy and relentless in his pursuit of quarterbacks. For 13 years during their heyday, the Baltimore Colts were defined by a slab of a man known simply as Gino.

No Colts player epitomized the club — or the city — better than Gino Marchetti, the Hall of Fame defensive end who died Monday of pneumonia. Marchetti, 93, passed away at Paoli Hospital in Paoli, Pa.

“I kissed him and he knew me and smiled,” said Joan Marchetti, his wife of 41 years. “That was Gino’s way of saying goodbye.”

More

Wikipedia

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #359 on: May 02, 2019, 02:59:48 am »
Gino Marchetti, Baltimore Colts legend and Pro Football Hall of Famer, dies at 93

More

Wikipedia

Big star alright...legend.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 03:05:05 am by TomSea »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #360 on: May 02, 2019, 11:02:44 pm »
Peter Mayhew
Actor known almost exclusively known as Chewbacca dies at 74

The English-born Mayhew was discovered by accident when George Lucas needed someone particularly tall to portray a large, hairy, vaguely humanoid alien; at 7'3", Mayhew, then working in a radiology lab, fit the bill. He would play the character in all three films in the original trilogy and would return for The Force Awakens; health problems forced him to give up the role prior to The Last Jedi.

Mayhew became an American citizen in 2005 and died April 30, 2019 from complications of spinal surgery.

Obituary from The Hollywood Reporter

Wikipedia

IMDB
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 11:07:11 pm by jmyrlefuller »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #361 on: May 03, 2019, 07:48:11 am »
Peter Mayhew
Actor known almost exclusively known as Chewbacca dies at 74

The English-born Mayhew was discovered by accident when George Lucas needed someone particularly tall to portray a large, hairy, vaguely humanoid alien; at 7'3", Mayhew, then working in a radiology lab, fit the bill. He would play the character in all three films in the original trilogy and would return for The Force Awakens; health problems forced him to give up the role prior to The Last Jedi.

Mayhew became an American citizen in 2005 and died April 30, 2019 from complications of spinal surgery.

Obituary from The Hollywood Reporter

Wikipedia

IMDB
So long Mr. Mayhew, thanks for the smiles (and we really apologize for comparisons to a former First Lady....Chewbacca wasn't that rough around the edges.)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #362 on: May 03, 2019, 01:14:23 pm »
By Richard Szabo
May 1, 2019

https://www.theepochtimes.com/lawnmower-accident-kills-former-delta-force-commander-eldon-bargewell_2902981.html

Several photos at the link above.

A former military officer in charge of an elite special mission unit of the United States Army died after a terrible accident in Alabama on April 29.

Former Delta Force Commander and Major General Eldon Bargewell died at the age of 72 after his lawnmower rolled over an embankment behind his home in Eufaula, 175 miles southeast of Birmingham.

The Special Operations Association (SOA) in Texas paid a tribute to Bargewell, who was arguably one of most highly decorated soldiers still on active duty back in 2006 when he retired. In a social media post, SOA described his death as “another heartbreaking loss of a dear friend and special man.”

“This was absolutely one of America’s finest patriots and gentlemen. Those of us blessed to know him have a hole in our hearts that will never be filled,” SOA said in a Facebook post dated April 30.

Bargewell’s final post was serving as deputy chief of staff for operations in Iraq.

“[He was] director of operations for operations [like] Restore Hope (Haiti), Enduring Freedom-NATO (Afghanistan) and Iraqi Freedom (Iraq) … when Delta was organized, Eldon was an original member and served at every level of Delta from operator to commander,” SOA said.

“He [also] commanded special operations units from recon teams to special operations command level in Cambodia, Laos, North Vietnam, the Middle East, El Salvador, Operation Just Cause (Panama), Desert Storm (Iraq), Restore Democracy, and Allied Force (Bosnia/Kosovo).”

Bargewell began his 39-year career back in 1967, just a couple of years after graduating from high school in Hoquiam, Washington.

According to SOA, he had finished a special forces qualification course one year later and served his country in the Vietnam War at a top-secret unit called Command and Control North, MACV-SOG, as team leader for Reconnaissance Team Viper.

“During his service in Vietnam, Eldon earned the distinguished service cross, second only to the medal of honor in 1971 for ‘extraordinary heroism’ by breaking an assault by enemy forces despite suffering from ‘multiple fragmentation wounds from an exploding B-40 rocket,’ continued to fight and insured the safe extraction of his team,” SOA said.

Al.com reported that the cross award citation commended Bargewell for releasing a “deadly volume of machine gun fire” on the enemy despite being wounded himself. He refused medical treatment in order to defend the area and allow the safe extraction of his team.

“Staff Sergeant Bargewell’s extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty were in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the United States Army,” the commendation said.

After returning from Vietnam in 1972, Eldon attended Infantry Officers’ Candidate School and graduated as the leadership honor graduate of his class.

Arizona friend Don Wayne Curry paid a tribute to Bargewell on social media after learning of his accident. “Ranger friend Major General Eldon Bargewell passed away,” Curry said in a Facebook post dated May 1. “Near the time of his retirement [he] was reportedly the most decorated active member of the Army, died at his home in Eufaula, Alabama, Monday from a lawn mower flipped over a[n] embankment.”

Bargewell also received three bronze stars with combat “V” for valor under fire, four purple hearts, an army commendation medal with combat “V,” and a presidential unit citation.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline skeeter

« Reply #363 on: May 03, 2019, 01:30:14 pm »
So long Mr. Mayhew, thanks for the smiles (and we really apologize for comparisons to a former First Lady....Chewbacca wasn't that rough around the edges.)
****drummer

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #364 on: May 03, 2019, 01:36:49 pm »
Damn! 

Don't know when he was with MACV- SOG but I don't think I ever met him.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #365 on: May 03, 2019, 02:05:20 pm »
Damn! 

@Bigun

Go to the link and view the photo of him taken sitting at the launch site,waiting to go on a mission into Laos. He could have been a male model,and you KNOW the way it looks means he caught a lot of crap going through basic,AIT,and airborne training.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #366 on: May 03, 2019, 02:10:47 pm »
Damn! 

@Bigun

Tried to send you a PM,but you have me blocked. Were you with SOG?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #367 on: May 03, 2019, 02:11:33 pm »
@Bigun

Go to the link and view the photo of him taken sitting at the launch site,waiting to go on a mission into Laos. He could have been a male model,and you KNOW the way it looks means he caught a lot of crap going through basic,AIT,and airborne training.

@sneakypete

LOL!  Ya think?

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #368 on: May 03, 2019, 02:18:28 pm »
@Bigun

Tried to send you a PM,but you have me blocked. Were you with SOG?

Yeah!  1967

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #369 on: May 03, 2019, 02:27:20 pm »
Yeah!  1967

@Bigun

Cool! Send me a PM. We may have known one another. I was still on Okie part of the time in 67,but when back to Bragg in late 67 or early 68. Called Mrs A in late summer of 68,and a month later got orders to the 5th. Went to a leg signal battalion at first because I was still on profile with a dislocated shoulder and pulled muscles in my back,but contacted SGM Odom and made sure the skids would be greased for me to get back to SF as soon as the profile ended. Sure enough,I reminded him a few days before my profile ended,and he sent a guy over in a jeep with orders transferring me back to the 5th the same morning the profile ended. I knew him from when he was the B Company SGM on Okie,

I have never figured out why anybody would want to remain in the regular army. It seemed to me I was more of a cross between a babysitter and a prison guard than I was a NCO.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #370 on: May 09, 2019, 08:07:25 pm »
Jim Fowler, Host of 'Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom,' Dies at 89
Mike Barnes

Jim Fowler, the naturalist and longtime co-host and host of the TV show Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, died Wednesday at his home in Norwalk, Connecticut, his family announced. He was 89.

Fowler, an Emmy winner for his work on the nature program, also made more than 100 appearances on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, served as a wildlife correspondent for the Today show and showed up (with a hawk) as a guest on a talk show hosted by Kramer (Michael Richards) out of his apartment on a 1997 episode of Seinfeld.

Fowler and fellow zoologist Marlin Perkins worked on Wild Kingdom starting with the pilot episode that aired on Jan. 9, 1963, through Perkins' retirement in 1985. Fowler then went it alone for a few years and returned to the show when it was revived in 2002.

Born on April 9, 1930, in Albany, Georgia, Fowler grew up on his family farm. He excelled on his high school baseball and football teams and was offered a contract by the Philadelphia Phillies and New York Yankees. He attended Earlham College in Richmond, Indiana, earning degrees in zoology and geology.

The 6-foot-6 Fowler worked at a raptor sanctuary in Florida and forged a reputation as an authority on predatory birds when he became the first man to successfully trap a harpy eagle and bring it back alive to the U.S. ...  Hollywood Reporter via MSN News

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #371 on: May 09, 2019, 08:45:17 pm »
Jim Fowler, Host of 'Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom,' Dies at 89
Mike Barnes

Jim Fowler, the naturalist and longtime co-host and host of the TV show Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, died Wednesday at his home in Norwalk, Connecticut, his family announced. He was 89.

Fowler, an Emmy winner for his work on the nature program, also made more than 100 appearances on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, served as a wildlife correspondent for the Today show and showed up (with a hawk) as a guest on a talk show hosted by Kramer (Michael Richards) out of his apartment on a 1997 episode of Seinfeld.

Fowler and fellow zoologist Marlin Perkins worked on Wild Kingdom starting with the pilot episode that aired on Jan. 9, 1963, through Perkins' retirement in 1985. Fowler then went it alone for a few years and returned to the show when it was revived in 2002.

Born on April 9, 1930, in Albany, Georgia, Fowler grew up on his family farm. He excelled on his high school baseball and football teams and was offered a contract by the Philadelphia Phillies and New York Yankees. He attended Earlham College in Richmond, Indiana, earning degrees in zoology and geology.

The 6-foot-6 Fowler worked at a raptor sanctuary in Florida and forged a reputation as an authority on predatory birds when he became the first man to successfully trap a harpy eagle and bring it back alive to the U.S. ...  Hollywood Reporter via MSN News

I remember the funny parodies:
Marlin Perkins: "While Jim is being mauled by the lion, I'll be up here getting a manicure."

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #372 on: May 09, 2019, 08:49:52 pm »
I have to admit, my first thought was of his appearance on Seinfeld.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #373 on: May 09, 2019, 09:37:12 pm »
I remember the funny parodies:
Marlin Perkins: "While Jim is being mauled by the lion, I'll be up here getting a manicure."

That's how I explained who he was to Mrs. Liberty.  She had never watched MoO Wild Kingdom.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline verga

« Reply #374 on: May 10, 2019, 02:02:10 am »
That's how I explained who he was to Mrs. Liberty.  She had never watched MoO Wild Kingdom.
MY memory is when one of the constrictors had him pretty well wrapped up and they cut to commercial. When they came back he was free  and the snake was gone. I wonder what happened to that poor creature?
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.